ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Graham Hancock , joe rogan , michael shermer , zahi hawass

Reply
Old 14th November 2017, 11:15 AM   #1041
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,152
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
I have a BA in Criminal Justice and Legal Studies from an accredited university. I fully understand the rules of evidence- its collection and presentation. What I 'found' documented, and presented here, were underwater ruins... They were under water, and were clearly square and rectangular buildings.

I posted them here, to be confirmed.

ETA: Here's that thread: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=319689
You want us to wade through a huge thread looking for a link?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 11:19 AM   #1042
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,152
Anyway, we all know Atlantis is near Cadiz, a US team of 'researchers' found it in 2011

Or are they wrong? http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42072469/n.../#.WgszZWi0PIU
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 12:52 PM   #1043
TheSupermeerkat
Scholar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 87
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
I think my say here, has been said.

Take from this thread what you will, there is no more.


There was never anything. All you provided was world salads and garbled retellings of whatever pseudo science you could doodle.
TheSupermeerkat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 01:02 PM   #1044
JesseCuster
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 670
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Please post evidence of the in-island basalt quarry, OR admit it was from somewhere else.
That's an interesting outright hypocritical stance toward lack of evidence you've adopted.

Earlier in the thread you were repeatedly touting the position that the lack of evidence didn't mean you weren't wrong. The evidence had been disturbed. Or it just hasn't been found yet. Or whatever. But it would be found in the future and prove you right.

And now you've done a complete 180 and are adopting the attitude that because of the lack of evidence of for a quarry on the island (assuming for the sake of argument that there is no evidence for said quarry, you seem to be woefully inadequate at finding and/or interpreting evidence) means the quarry isn't there and must be therefore off the island.

If you don't have evidence, you're still right because it just means the evidence hasn't been found yet. If someone else doesn't have evidence, it therefore means you're completely right about any alternative you might care to invent.

Rank hypocrisy and evidence that your'e just spouting this **** off the top of your head.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 02:34 PM   #1045
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,678
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Basalt Moai- https://www.nationalgeographic.org/m...easter-island/

No basalt quarry has yet been found, which means it (and others like it) came from somewhere else...

Which is more likely they were transported there on raft boats, or they came from local quarries, now submerged?
Oh my willing trying to stretch it huh? lol

Again no linkies so everything you say is just your rather uncreditable opinion

So dismissed
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 02:36 PM   #1046
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,678
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
...deleted....

Yep still wrong

Last edited by Hans; 14th November 2017 at 04:01 PM.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 02:39 PM   #1047
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,678
Originally Posted by StackOverflow View Post
^ Does not understand anything ^
Excellent. KOTA whole point was to waste people's time. His main contribution was to demonstrate the principle of :

'If I believe something it must be true or otherwise that would mean I'm wrong and that just cannot be............lol'
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 02:44 PM   #1048
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,678
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
I think my say here, has been said.

Take from this thread what you will, there is no more.
Highly highly unlikely - your ego will not allow you to slink away defeated and still wrong. Your only solution will to make up something else and pretend it's real evidence....................just because it didn't work before and we laughed at you - you'll just have try it again.

I would suggest the following standard fringe tactics:

Suggest that no evidence for the lost civilization is found because the evil cabal of academics/the government/'they' are suppressing it

Put up 'channeled' information as 'proof'

Go over all the same evidence again

Suggest we live in one dimension and the inter-dimensional proof is in another 'reality' that only 'believers' can go to.....
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 02:53 PM   #1049
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 11,645
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
I've used Google Earth to find sunken ruins, and posted the results on this board, maybe another thread...

That Atlantis crap really worked-out well, didn't it?

We can't stop laughing.
__________________
Credibility is not a boomerang. If you throw it away, it's not coming back.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 02:55 PM   #1050
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 20,446
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
The actual answer is that a few of Moai were not quarried from 'living rock' but were made from erratic stones left from earlier volcanic explosions, ie free lying boulders - speculation of course.
That is a possibility that I had not thought about. My speculations:
  • There are basalt quarries that were mined for tools. It is possible that the 13 basalt moai were quarried there and subsequent mining removed any traces. It makes sense for the niches where the statues were to be the focal points of later work.
  • There were other basalt quarries that just have not been found. Perhaps covered by spoil from nearby quarries. Perhaps they were small enough to be filled in by erosion.
  • Maybe there are underwater quarries but not covered by the physically impossible sea level rise. I am thinking about the crater lakes. An earthquake causes one to drain exposing basalt outcrops. They are quarried while the lake refills.
  • A remote possibility - there are no basalt moai because the Wikipedia article is incorrect. The source is a 1994 book. Perhaps there is later analysis that showed that the basalt was something else.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 02:57 PM   #1051
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 11,645
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
^Does Not Understand Rational Choice Theory^
^ Bachelor of Arts degree with little actual erudition^
__________________
Credibility is not a boomerang. If you throw it away, it's not coming back.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 03:09 PM   #1052
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 20,446
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
A National Geographic description of a quarry that has no citations and so is a worse source than the Wikipedia article already cited here.

Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Which is more likely they were transported there on raft boats, or they came from local quarries, now submerged?
Neither fantasy is correct.
No evidence that Easter Islanders travelled from the island after settlement. No evidence of imaginary submerged quarries. It is physically impossible for any seashore quarries to have been submerged after the settlement of the island.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 03:22 PM   #1053
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 20,446
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
So, no one is ever 100% right.
Correct. However those not 100% right people should be honest enough to acknowledge when they are wrong.

The evidence is "we" (Homo Sapiens) are hundreds of thousands of years old.

Choosing to repeat the crank ideas stated in a video is not an argument.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 03:47 PM   #1054
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,657
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
I have a BA in Criminal Justice and Legal Studies from an accredited university. I fully understand the rules of evidence- its collection and presentation.
No. You appear to have missed the module on court rules. You are not allowed to imply anything. You must make a clear an unambiguous statement as to what you are claiming.

There a more than a couple of lawyers posting here.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 03:52 PM   #1055
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,678
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
That is a possibility that I had not thought about. My speculations:
  • There are basalt quarries that were mined for tools. It is possible that the 13 basalt moai were quarried there and subsequent mining removed any traces. It makes sense for the niches where the statues were to be the focal points of later work.
  • There were other basalt quarries that just have not been found. Perhaps covered by spoil from nearby quarries. Perhaps they were small enough to be filled in by erosion.
  • Maybe there are underwater quarries but not covered by the physically impossible sea level rise. I am thinking about the crater lakes. An earthquake causes one to drain exposing basalt outcrops. They are quarried while the lake refills.
  • A remote possibility - there are no basalt moai because the Wikipedia article is incorrect. The source is a 1994 book. Perhaps there is later analysis that showed that the basalt was something else.
Those are good possibilities too. There isn't much top soil on the island except around the main quarry. Those quarries could be in re-forested areas or have been covered over by modern construction.

I've been to the site twice, once as a tourist a decade or so and the first time as an archaeology student doing survey work there. Survey work the two main quarries and checking on some of the work done by Thor which he talked about in the book Aku Aku.

Most of the origins for the Moai are known so unless basalt rocks were falling form the sky they may have used such isolated rocks. It is thought one group may have controlled the main quarry and 'outliers' may have used what they could find.



Example of an isolated basalt rock from the north shore area.

Last edited by Hans; 14th November 2017 at 03:53 PM.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 03:54 PM   #1056
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 20,446
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Please post evidence of the in-island basalt quarry, OR admit it was from somewhere else.
You need to learn about a basic debating principle - it is up to the person who makes an assertion to support that assertion with evidence. You are the person who first stated the assertion of submerged quarries. You are the person who needs to supply the evidence.
14 November 2017: Source for one statue at Ahu Nau Nau being basalt.
14 November 2017: Source for that basalt statue coming from a basalt quarry that is now underwater.

ETA: Also a bit of hypocrisy.
You think no evidence is evidence. Thus using your logic, no evidence for basalt moai quarries is evidence for basalt moai quarries!
You think not evacuating 100% of a site allows anything to exist. Thus using your logic, not evacuating 100% of Easter Island allows basalt moai quarries to exist.

You also need to learn more about Easter Island - there are in-island basalt quarries where they at least quarried basalt tools and (my thought) may have quarried the 13 basalt moai.
Excavation Season V October-November 2011
Quote:
Before we began our excavation we visited the basalt quarries and outcrops sampled by our colleague Dr. Christian Fischer as part of our XRF analysis project. We have collected XRF data on over 40 sites. That information will be used byRapa Nui student Rafael Rapu in his comparative study of tools (toki) retrieved in our excavations.

Last edited by Reality Check; 14th November 2017 at 04:04 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 04:00 PM   #1057
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,678
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
A National Geographic description of a quarry that has no citations and so is a worse source than the Wikipedia article already cited here.


Neither fantasy is correct.
No evidence that Easter Islanders travelled from the island after settlement. No evidence of imaginary submerged quarries. It is physically impossible for any seashore quarries to have been submerged after the settlement of the island.
They did travel on occasion to Piscina en Isla Sala y Gomez which is near EI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isla_Salas_y_G%C3%B3mez

...but yeah no imaginary sunken quarries. As usual a wooish person making up stuff that a simple basic understanding of the islands situation would dismiss at once - the whole island is full of rocks. Pick one.

Quote:
Although there is no evidence that the island has ever been permanently inhabited, Easter Islanders were certainly aware of its existence, as indicated by the pre-European name of the island. Tradition says that the island was occasionally visited to collect fledglings and eggs. The island was said to have been difficult to land upon, because the gods Make-make and Huau protected the seabirds from those who ate their eggs and offspring. Because of these historical connections to Easter Island, Salas y Gómez can be considered part of Polynesia; if so its location makes it the easternmost landmass of Polynesia.
These were temporary forays only of course

Last edited by Hans; 14th November 2017 at 04:06 PM.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 04:16 PM   #1058
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,657
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Example of an isolated basalt rock from the north shore area.
Volcanoes of Easter Island
Rano Kau is in the world heritage site of Rapa Nui National Park and gives its name to one of the seven sections of the park. The principal archaeological site on Rano Kau is the ruined ceremonial village of Orongo which is located at the point where the sea cliff and inner crater wall converge. As well as basalt, it contains several other igneous rocks including obsidian
http://www.easterislandtourism.com/w...isit/volcanos/



I assume King of the Americas missed that the island's fresh water comes from a volcano crater.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 04:23 PM   #1059
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,657
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
These were temporary forays only of course
Slightly off topic
I really was at the Bishop Museum in Hawaii three months ago talking to an anthropologist about Polynesian seafaring. He was getting all excited about potatoes reaching the old world by Polynesians. At first it made sense but when I got home it sort of didn't make any sense.

However his main point was that Polynesian language words were corrupted on one island and then the corrupted word would be introduced to other islands and further variation took place suggesting Polynesian did a lot of seafaring and inter island cultural exchanges.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 06:03 PM   #1060
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 20,446
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
A bit of an aside: I found the above letter about basalt quarries via a question asked on the Graham Hancock forum. So even cranks can be useful!
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 07:47 PM   #1061
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,678
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Volcanoes of Easter Island
Rano Kau is in the world heritage site of Rapa Nui National Park and gives its name to one of the seven sections of the park. The principal archaeological site on Rano Kau is the ruined ceremonial village of Orongo which is located at the point where the sea cliff and inner crater wall converge. As well as basalt, it contains several other igneous rocks including obsidian
http://www.easterislandtourism.com/w...isit/volcanos/



I assume King of the Americas missed that the island's fresh water comes from a volcano crater.
Good find. I help to excavate that area (its fairly large) I remember the obsidian but not the basalt! I do remember they use to obtain their hammer stones in that area also.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 08:27 PM   #1062
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,657
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Good find. I help to excavate that area (its fairly large)
That's amazing. I started off in anthropological prehistory at Sydney Uni and was going to my first overseas dig in Iran and the Iranian revolution decided to come along and ruin my chosen career.........so I ended up in tax law.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 10:51 PM   #1063
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,678
Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
That's amazing. I started off in anthropological prehistory at Sydney Uni and was going to my first overseas dig in Iran and the Iranian revolution decided to come along and ruin my chosen career.........so I ended up in tax law.
Yeah I was going to do Neolithic Middle East Archaeology (Cypriot) and my advisor dropped dead and my new one insisted I become a Mayanist. I didn't want to be a Mayanist! It was thought in the mid 70's that the local archaeologists in CA were going to force out all the 'foreigners'. Went military with archie as a hobby and doing the shovel bum routine - making ruins instead of excavating them as I use to say.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 02:31 AM   #1064
Roboramma
Philosopher
 
Roboramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 9,906
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Question, did you watch the video, attached to the beginning of this thread?
Yes, have you forgotten our exchange about that?
__________________
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 06:33 AM   #1065
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,213
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Those are good possibilities too. There isn't much top soil on the island except around the main quarry. Those quarries could be in re-forested areas or have been covered over by modern construction.

I've been to the site twice, once as a tourist a decade or so and the first time as an archaeology student doing survey work there. Survey work the two main quarries and checking on some of the work done by Thor which he talked about in the book Aku Aku.

Most of the origins for the Moai are known so unless basalt rocks were falling form the sky they may have used such isolated rocks. It is thought one group may have controlled the main quarry and 'outliers' may have used what they could find.

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p.../118516874.jpg

Example of an isolated basalt rock from the north shore area.
W T F Dude??

You've been to and 'studied' EI...??? And you just now say that? Or, did I miss it? That is FUQ awesome!!

I have a list of questions:

Have you seen evidence of re-carving?
Have you tried to carve the stones using the technique they did?
Is all of the stone (Moai) local, or are there any from off-island sources?
Does the soil erosion look natural or man-made?
Can you get permission to photograph off the beaten path locations? (Lat. 27° 6'39.69"S Long. 109°15'27.21"W)
Do you know anyone on-site now?
*If there are divers on the island, can you recommend/request they look for a submerged encasement wall about 1500-1700 meters off shore?
King of the Americas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 07:01 AM   #1066
JesseCuster
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 670
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
*If there are divers on the island, can you recommend/request they look for a submerged encasement wall about 1500-1700 meters off shore?
You think people are going to start an exhaustive search of the ocean 1500 meters off Easter Island because of your idle speculation about underwater quarries linked to a 12,000 year old civilisation on island?

JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 07:05 AM   #1067
Tolls
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,653
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
^Does Not Understand Rational Choice Theory^
What the flippin' heck does that have to do with whether you even thought to check your interpretations?

Then again, I see you learned from the likes of Daniken, which sort of explains it.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 07:14 AM   #1068
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,213
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
You think people are going to start an exhaustive search of the ocean 1500 meters off Easter Island because of your idle speculation about underwater quarries linked to a 12,000 year old civilisation on island?

http://web.archive.org/web/200305081...llerskates.gif
No...but check it out using google earth.

ETA: I think I just stumbled on the largest orchard/tree colony ever planted...12 miles long...maybe 2 or 3 miles wide, mostly dead now, but still very apparent.

Lat. 19°43'11.36"S
Long. 69°53'41.84"W

---

If you zoom out, and look at the sea bottom, very long straight lines appear to intersect island chains, and some head inland. Following them leads to interesting things, sometimes!

*This orchard has two sides and is 12 miles long and 3 miles wide, with plants spaced about every 40 feet...still doing the math on the total number of plants...

ETA II: Estimated number of plants in original orchard- 7.5 million.

ETA III:

ETA IV: Go further south, there's an even bigger plantation...The numbers look like it might have a billion original plants...!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big-Orchard2.jpg (47.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by King of the Americas; 15th November 2017 at 08:51 AM. Reason: CAN'T BELIEVE MY EYES
King of the Americas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 08:21 AM   #1069
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,266
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
No...but check it out using google earth.

ETA: I think I just stumbled on the largest orchard/tree colony ever planted...12 miles long...maybe 2 or 3 miles wide, mostly dead now, but still very apparent.

Lat. 19°43'11.36"S
Long. 69°53'41.84"W

---

If you zoom out, and look at the sea bottom, very long straight lines appear to intersect island chains, and some head inland. Following them leads to interesting things, sometimes!
They're probably submarine ley lines. If Google Earth can spot apple trees hundreds of metres down, that will revolutionise anti submarine detection.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 08:28 AM   #1070
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,213
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
They're probably submarine ley lines. If Google Earth can spot apple trees hundreds of metres down, that will revolutionise anti submarine detection.
This is inland...I followed one of the lines away from EI onto land, into the desert.

Last edited by King of the Americas; 15th November 2017 at 08:57 AM.
King of the Americas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 09:05 AM   #1071
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 21,266
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
This is inland...I followed one of the lines away from EI onto land, into the desert.
Which desert did you follow it to?
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 09:15 AM   #1072
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,213
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Which desert did you follow it to?
Get your Google Earth on, and look for yourself.
King of the Americas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 09:16 AM   #1073
Tolls
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,653
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
No...but check it out using google earth.

ETA: I think I just stumbled on the largest orchard/tree colony ever planted...12 miles long...maybe 2 or 3 miles wide, mostly dead now, but still very apparent.
You've leapt across the ocean, from Easter Island to Chile, and picked out some form of plantation, possibly.

By the way...4000 km.

Oh, and a bit of Googling, and this area was used for nitrate extraction, which resulted in a lot of the trees being chopped down for fuel.

There was a reforestation attempt, which meant a load of trees all planted in, guess what, neat little rows.

Link to Google books mentioning Oficina Dolores.

In case you're wondering what Oficina Dolores is, it's a spot about 1km north of your coordinates, a couple of hundred metres West of the Panamericana (that's the big road you can see).

Anyway, to quote the relevant bit of that book link:
Quote:
South of Zapiga, the Panamericana runs across a flatter plateau at about 1000m above sea level, entering the first part of the Reserva Nacional Pampa del Tamarugal from Km1883 to Km1865(...). The reserve is named after the tamarugo tree which once blanketed this area but was almost entirely cleared for fuel during the nitrates boom. In this arid area the regrowth has been not natural, but as a result of planting and irrigation by Conaf in 1968-72. From Km1881 the site of the oficina Dolores is 2km to the west. This was where the nitrates industry began, in 1810...
Now, will you please accept that you have no clue what you're doing?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 09:17 AM   #1074
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 11,645
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Get your Google Earth on, and look for yourself.
Can you think of any reason we should take orders from you?
__________________
Credibility is not a boomerang. If you throw it away, it's not coming back.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 09:28 AM   #1075
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,213
Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
You've leapt across the ocean, from Easter Island to Chile, and picked out some form of plantation, possibly.

By the way...4000 km.

Oh, and a bit of Googling, and this area was used for nitrate extraction, which resulted in a lot of the trees being chopped down for fuel.

There was a reforestation attempt, which meant a load of trees all planted in, guess what, neat little rows.

Link to Google books mentioning Oficina Dolores.

In case you're wondering what Oficina Dolores is, it's a spot about 1km north of your coordinates, a couple of hundred metres West of the Panamericana (that's the big road you can see).

Anyway, to quote the relevant bit of that book link:


Now, will you please accept that you have no clue what you're doing?
I am not convinced we are talking about the same place...

The first place I found is rife with surrounding ruins, and contain less than 10 million plants.

The second place further south has hundreds of millions, at least.

So...a well meaning business replanted trees, out in a desert, where less than half survive to today to replace the deforestation that they did in a dessert? That's complete nonsense!

You need to look at where the area these orchards or groves appear. The image I linked is 12 miles long...

Outside of the larger plantation are smaller individual stands: *This one is 275 yards by 225.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reforrested.jpg (39.3 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by King of the Americas; 15th November 2017 at 09:49 AM.
King of the Americas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 09:29 AM   #1076
King of the Americas
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 6,213
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Can you think of any reason we should take orders from you?
Only "reason."
King of the Americas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 09:32 AM   #1077
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,678
Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
W T F Dude??

You've been to and 'studied' EI...??? And you just now say that? Or, did I miss it? That is FUQ awesome!!
I normally don't chit chat with people using trolling techniques

I have a list of questions:

Quote:
Have you seen evidence of re-carving?
Have you tried to carve the stones using the technique they did?
Yes we recreated Thor Heyderdahl's experiment with using pounders. It's hell on one's shoulders, elbows and wrists but it does work. Just as noted by Thor and many others. Actually easier than working granite with diorite pounders which I had also done in Egypt.

I recommend you read Aku Aku by Heyerdahl.

Quote:
Is all of the stone (Moai) local, or are there any from off-island sources?
Local (?) where the heck would it come from? The Polynesians were excellent mariners but carrying multi-ton rocks to an island made of rock was not one of their feats we have evidence of.....

Quote:
Does the soil erosion look natural or man-made?
Natural but it was caused by man removing the trees starting around 1000 AD or so sedimentation tells us. The soil on EI is very thin you get erosion burials only along the sides of the volcanoes where the the soil has 'sagged' significantly.

Can you get permission to photograph off the beaten path locations? (Lat. 27° 6'39.69"S Long. 109°15'27.21"W)

You have your longitude and Latitude backwards. I've walked over that place several times why are you interested in it?

Quote:
Do you know anyone on-site now?
You mean a professional or a local, Yes & no, Terry Hunt one of the leading archaeologists on EI and I were classmates. I follow his work closely.

Quote:
If there are divers on the island, can you recommend/request they look for a submerged encasement wall about 1500-1700 meters off shore?
Get one of multi-millionaire fringe writers to pay for an expedition with robotic equipment. There are two nearby seamounts one called Pulao (?) and another whose name escapes me (moai?) but I believe they are several hundred meters below the survive.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 09:34 AM   #1078
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,678
Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Can you think of any reason we should take orders from you?
I can't. Oh and I see he came back - the 'fake leaving' is another standard trolling technique.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 09:36 AM   #1079
Hans
Philosopher
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,678
Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Now, will you please accept that you have no clue what you're doing?
Is he actually being a nut or pretending to be a nut....lol
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 09:37 AM   #1080
JesseCuster
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 670
What the **** does this dead tree plantation in South America have to do with underwater quarries off Easter Island?
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:08 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.