ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags immortality , logic

Old 13th November 2017, 03:14 AM   #81
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
Mine most of the posts are coherent, directly or indirectly, in language or in sense. It is different issue you may perceive these differently.

Res ipsa loquitur.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 03:16 AM   #82
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

You please define, when you all discussing it lot since long back.
For the discussions we have tried to have with another poster here, it refers to some kind of recognizable "self" or "soul" that lives on independently of our physical being.

Quote:
But those four may only indicate real sense of immortality. We may not be immortal at current body/molecular level but can be at energy level.
Whatever they are, they are entirely speculative. This is the R&P forum, and you are free to discuss speculative concepts, but you must treat them as such.

Hans
Old 13th November 2017, 03:17 AM   #83
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Will not be in energy state?
That is not us.

Hans
Old 13th November 2017, 04:26 AM   #84
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
For the discussions we have tried to have with another poster here, it refers to some kind of recognizable "self" or "soul" that lives on independently of our physical being.

Whatever they are, they are entirely speculative. This is the R&P forum, and you are free to discuss speculative concepts, but you must treat them as such.

Hans
Yes, thanks.
Old 13th November 2017, 06:01 AM   #85
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Mine most of the posts are coherent, directly or indirectly, in language or in sense. It is different issue you may perceive these differently.
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

NO.
Old 13th November 2017, 06:09 AM   #86
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
Self replicating robots on interstellar journeys mining the void for precious atoms to fuse into their ever-expanding metal bodies.
No way a learning, expanding machine intelligence mining ressources for itself could ever come back to bite us, right?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 08:52 AM   #87
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Immortality of our current body not possible. Increase in life span can be possible if proper care is kept or we get evolved(may be as nature need it). At our most prime level, we are already immortal in sense, energy can not be destructed.

Thanks for your response. Will you please repeat it in proper English so I can determine if you actually answered my question? Thanks.
Old 13th November 2017, 12:20 PM   #88
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Immortality of any sort is not attainable
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 12:23 PM   #89
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Why we do not account, our that entity?
What?
Old 13th November 2017, 07:20 PM   #90
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Yés. Then, no poínt of discussíng on it.
Old 13th November 2017, 07:24 PM   #91
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ferd burfle View Post
Thanks for your response. Will you please repeat it in proper English so I can determine if you actually answered my question? Thanks.
Sorry, thst post is quite cléar. Orgañsm ímmortality is imposible.
Old 13th November 2017, 07:27 PM   #92
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
What?
Our prime energy form. Energy can not be déstructed so immortal.
Old 13th November 2017, 08:16 PM   #93
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Immortality of our current body not possible. Increase in life span can be possible if proper care is kept or we get evolved(may be as nature need it). At our most prime level, we are already immortal in sense, energy can not be destructed.
The idea that energy cannot be destroyed has nothing to do with immortality unless you define life to mean something that it doesn't. Of course words can mean various things in various contexts, but any meaningful sense of immortality for a living being requires that its living not cease. Energy is not itself living, so it's persistence is not immortality except in a broad and useless sense of the word.

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 08:41 PM   #94
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
The idea that energy cannot be destroyed has nothing to do with immortality unless you define life to mean something that it doesn't. Of course words can mean various things in various contexts, but any meaningful sense of immortality for a living being requires that its living not cease. Energy is not itself living, so it's persistence is not immortality except in a broad and useless sense of the word.
According to you, what is immortality? If it related to current body, clones or children?
Old 13th November 2017, 08:45 PM   #95
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dancing David View Post
Some definitions of immortality are definitely attainable.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 11:22 PM   #96
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

According to you, what is immortality? If it related to current body, clones or children?
I already did this. You ignored it then, so why do it again?

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 02:15 AM   #97
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I already did this. You ignored it then, so why do it again?
Yes, that is generalized definition. Many types are of immortality are indicated: Physical, Scientific: Anti-aging movement, Life extension technologies, Religious, Alchemy, Biological, Cybernetics, Evolutionary , Emotional,Image, Fictional etc. Probably, Cancer Immortality may also come. However, Undesirability of Immortality is also indicated. But I think all can just be related to Anti-aging and Memory transfer if clone is basis. nothing can still resist death by Trauma & by diseases. Many species are now considered as somewhat immortal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortality
Old 14th November 2017, 02:20 AM   #98
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, that is generalized definition. Many types are of immortality are indicated: Physical, Scientific: Anti-aging movement, Life extension technologies, Religious, Alchemy, Biological, Cybernetics, Evolutionary , Emotional,Image, Fictional etc. Probably, Cancer Immortality may also come. However, Undesirability of Immortality is also indicated. But I think all can just be related to Anti-aging and Memory transfer if clone is basis. nothing can still resist death by Trauma & by diseases. Many species are now considered as somewhat immortal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immortality
So, which would you like to discuss?
Old 14th November 2017, 02:33 AM   #99
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
So, which would you like to discuss?
It is a difficult question to answer. I feel, if we do not want to go too far, we can just discuss, Anti-aging movement, Life extension technologies and Memory transfer on human cloning.
Old 14th November 2017, 03:23 AM   #100
Mojo
Mostly harmless

We don't have a "prime energy form".

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 03:48 AM   #101
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
We don't have a "prime energy form".
Leave it. It is too far like a basic form of a vehicle may be its metal.
Old 14th November 2017, 03:51 AM   #102
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Leave it. It is too far like a basic form of a vehicle may be its metal.
Try driving a pile of ore and let us know how well it goes...

ETA: hang on...
a basic form of a vehicle
prime
energy form.
Kumar, have you been watching Transformers?

Last edited by Porpoise of Life; 14th November 2017 at 03:53 AM.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 04:00 AM   #103
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Try driving a pile of ore and let us know how well it goes...

ETA: hang on...

Kumar, have you been watching Transformers?
Leave it, I am not going too far inspite of fact, we link a photo of someone to him i.e it is his photo. Basis of photo is energy.
Old 14th November 2017, 04:08 AM   #104
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Leave it, I am not going too far inspite of fact, we link a photo of someone to him i.e it is his photo. Basis of photo is energy.
Basis of soup is chemicals. But don't drink bleach.

You can't just reduce everything to its constituent parts, extrapolate something completely different from there, and expect it to mean the same as the original.

The law of conservation of energy does not mean that we are immortal.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 04:15 AM   #105
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Basis of soup is chemicals. But don't drink bleach.

You can't just reduce everything to its constituent parts, extrapolate something completely different from there, and expect it to mean the same as the original.

The law of conservation of energy does not mean that we are immortal.
At least our basic form is immortal.
Old 14th November 2017, 04:23 AM   #106
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

It's not alive, so it can't be immortal. And it's not us before we're born or after we die, it's just stuff.

It's like you're saying: I'm not homeless, that pile of ashes over there used to be a house.
Old 14th November 2017, 04:44 AM   #107
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Nope. Platonic forms are human concepts, and will cease to exist when humans cease to exist, at the very latest.

Old 14th November 2017, 05:11 AM   #108
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Nope. Platonic forms are human concepts, and will cease to exist when humans cease to exist, at the very latest.
It is not basic concept.
Old 14th November 2017, 05:31 AM   #109
Mojo
Mostly harmless

It is not basic concept.

Whatever the "basic concept" is, it isn't real, and it will not survive the extinction of our species.

Old 14th November 2017, 07:27 AM   #110
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Whatever the "basic concept" is, it isn't real, and it will not survive the extinction of our species.
It is rational to leave it.
Old 14th November 2017, 07:58 AM   #111
Peregrinus
Muse

It is rational to leave it.
Based on Mojo's comment, that is not a rational response.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 08:48 AM   #112
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

Sorry, thst post is quite cléar. Orgañsm ímmortality is imposible.

Your original post included the qualifier “current” implying it immortality might be attainable. Now you contradict yourself and say it isn’t.
Old 14th November 2017, 09:46 AM   #113
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ferd burfle View Post
Your original post included the qualifier “current” implying it immortality might be attainable. Now you contradict yourself and say it isn’t.
How?
Old 14th November 2017, 09:49 AM   #114
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Peregrinus View Post
Based on Mojo's comment, that is not a rational response.
No, I felt it is irrational to consider our prime energy form relevent to immortality. So I asked to leave it.
Old 14th November 2017, 09:59 AM   #115
Peregrinus
Muse

No, I felt it is irrational to consider our prime energy form relevent to immortality. So I asked to leave it.
It is not rational to consider "prime energy" as being relevant to anything at all.
Peregrinus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 11:00 AM   #116
Donn
Philosopher

Oh joy, another unrestrained Kumar thread. Gotta be nice having his kind of invulnerability.

Let me guess: this is going to proceed into "please make sense" posts and spiral out for ten years.

Bah!
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 11:06 AM   #117
Mojo
Mostly harmless

No, I felt it is irrational to consider our prime energy form relevent to immortality.

Then why did you claim that "our prime energy form" or "our basic form" is immortal?

Last edited by Mojo; 14th November 2017 at 11:07 AM.
Old 14th November 2017, 11:35 AM   #118
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Mmm, people would understand better if you used language.

And since you CAN make the above statement, why don't you do that in the first place? This is one thing that provokes people: You make some statement that is practically incomprehensible, then when people ask what you mean, you are perfectly able to make yourself understood. So what was the purpose of the gibberish statement?

Hans

Last edited by MRC_Hans; 14th November 2017 at 11:38 AM.
MRC_Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 12:03 PM   #119
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

So when your body eventually decomposes, yes the atoms are still there, but are they you?

What energy is you?
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 07:44 PM   #120
Kumar
Penultimate Amazing

Then why did you claim that "our prime energy form" or "our basic form" is immortal?
There can be many truths which may not be rationals due to change of need of time/environment/evolution. But we can still see both truth & rationals to arrive at complete picture. Why physics look, which we can not see/sense directly?

Last edited by Kumar; 14th November 2017 at 07:47 PM. Reason: add
Kumar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy