ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , Clinton controversies , hillary clinton , James Comey , presidential candidates

Old 30th October 2016, 09:59 AM   #41
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
To be fair, did she not publicly call for all the emails that Comey may have stumbled upon to be released ASAP?
This is what caught my attention that this is nothing. Clinton is as politically savvy as anyone and a lawyer. She knows not to ask a questionshe doesn't know the answer to. I'm sure she knows there's nothing on them.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
-Good luck America with President Trump
cantonear1968 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 10:04 AM   #42
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cantonear1968 View Post
This is what caught my attention that this is nothing. Clinton is as politically savvy as anyone and a lawyer. She knows not to ask a questionshe doesn't know the answer to. I'm sure she knows there's nothing on them.
Or she knows that there is absolutely no chance whatsoever that anyone in a position of authority would take such a ridiculous "demand" seriously.
Old 30th October 2016, 10:07 AM   #43
Garrison
Illuminator

Exactly, and by pressing like this she forces Comey to admit he has no idea what's actually in the emails, further painting as a political hack.

However this turns out Comey should start working on his resume because if he concludes, again, that there's nothing criminal here neither Clinton nor Trump are going to want him.
Old 30th October 2016, 10:10 AM   #44
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Or she knows that there is absolutely no chance whatsoever that anyone in a position of authority would take such a ridiculous "demand" seriously.
But Big Dog don't you want those emails out there now? Don't you want all the sordid details made public to shame Clinton? Unless of course you suspect there's nothing in them and just want to go with innuendo, as you always do.
Old 30th October 2016, 10:19 AM   #45
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

I imagine something like...

To: Anthony Weiner

"Tony, I'm getting so worried and angry at Hillary over this. She told me there's no way she'd meet with the Sultan of Brunei unless he donates at least $15 million to the foundation. God forbid this ever gets leaked, I don't see any way she could spin it, and I told her so. She just doesn't seem to care."

Again, that's the sort of thing that, even if hearsay, could lead down a rabbit hole right up to and including felony charges.

Or maybe there's nothing remotely like that.

Interesting times, and all that.
Old 30th October 2016, 10:25 AM   #46
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

You don't really believe that do you?
Her continued use of those devices is consistent with that claim.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 10:29 AM   #47
wareyin
Philosopher

I'm curious, why would your imagination, coming from one who already dislikes Clinton, be evidence of anything other than your own personal dislike of Clinton?

Eta: To me this is the problem. Some are so convinced that Clinton is corrupt that they can't understand why no evidence had been found for it, and expect that evidence to be found with each new investigation. The fact that she has been cleared of corruption by every investigation never sways their opinion. What, exactly, would it take to convince you that your opinion is wrong?

Last edited by wareyin; 30th October 2016 at 10:33 AM.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 10:36 AM   #48
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
I'm curious, why would your imagination, coming from one who already dislikes Clinton, be evidence of anything other than your own personal dislike of Clinton?
First, I dislike Trump far more.

My imaginings are simply consistent with behavior I've observed over many decades. Purely subjective and never put forth as unbiased or evidence of any sort.

I don't think it's a far cry from assuming there's nothing there, also subjective and hardly unbiased or evidence.

I just suspect that eventually something damning will be found. But it's just a suspicion.
Old 30th October 2016, 10:38 AM   #49
wareyin
Philosopher

My imaginings are simply consistent with behavior I've observed over many decades. Purely subjective and never put forth as unbiased or evidence of any sort.

I don't think it's a far cry from assuming there's nothing there, also subjective and hardly unbiased or evidence.

I just suspect that eventually something damning will be found. But it's just a suspicion.
What behaviour over the years is consistent with the corruption you imagine which no investigation could find?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 10:39 AM   #50
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
But Big Dog don't you want those emails out there now? Don't you want all the sordid details made public to shame Clinton? Unless of course you suspect there's nothing in them and just want to go with innuendo, as you always do.
It would appear that you, like huma and Hillary are totally unconcerned with the fact that the emails must be vetted for classified intelligence.

And that they are the subject of an ongoing criminal investigation and the main suspect is in no position to dictate when the evidence against her would be released.

I cannot believe that anyone does anything but roll their eyes at Hillary's shenanigans.
Old 30th October 2016, 10:42 AM   #51
Garrison
Illuminator

Exactly equivalent, except for you know the FBI investigation that found no evidence of criminal acts, the 8 investigations into Benghazi, the untold hearings Clinton has faced over the years that have utterly failed to find anything, all those emails and speeches WikiLeaks made public that again came up with nothing, but yes if you ignore all the evidence to the contrary, exactly equivalent.
Old 30th October 2016, 10:42 AM   #52
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Her continued use of those devices is consistent with that claim.
Protip, the blackberry she was using at the time was fully compatible with the state severs and in fact the state it guy offered her the exact same model with a state ID, that unfortunately would have been subject to foia.
Old 30th October 2016, 10:44 AM   #53
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Protip, the blackberry she was using at the time was fully compatible with the state severs and in fact the state it guy offered her the exact same model with a state ID, that unfortunately would have been subject to foia.
But wasn't the issue that she would need to carry more devices?

If I had to speculate. Defeating foia would be my guess.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 10:47 AM   #54
Garrison
Illuminator

It would appear that you, like huma and Hillary are totally unconcerned with the fact that the emails must be vetted for classified intelligence.

And that they are the subject of an ongoing criminal investigation and the main suspect is in no position to dictate when the evidence against her would be released.

I cannot believe that anyone does anything but roll their eyes at Hillary's shenanigans.
Well then redact the bits that are classified, and simply confirming they contained classified info would be pretty damning in itself, it would probably finish Clinton and yet suddenly the guy who has demanded pretty much every word Clinton has written or said be made public doesn't want the FBI to confirm they have a 'smoking gun', how odd.
Old 30th October 2016, 10:47 AM   #55
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

But wasn't the issue that she would need to carry more devices?

If I had to speculate. Defeating foia would be my guess.
That was what she claimed, which was silly.
Old 30th October 2016, 10:52 AM   #56
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Well then redact the bits that are classified, and simply confirming they contained classified info would be pretty damning in itself, it would probably finish Clinton and yet suddenly the guy who has demanded pretty much every word Clinton has written or said be made public doesn't want the FBI to confirm they have a 'smoking gun', how odd.
Lol! It is rare that you see someone misrepresent my position so thoroughly!

I said that Hillary's request that the emails be released is ludicrous because they have to be vetted for classified data. It is taking state a month to vet a few hundred pages of emails the the FBI returned to them.

The demand that the emails be released is an utterly hilarious joke.

But hey, she caught a few with that hilarious request, I guess.
Old 30th October 2016, 10:55 AM   #57
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

... But email threads have tendrils, one of which apparently just got stumbled upon.

We'll see...
More innuendo.

More on the Hatch Act violation complaint.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 10:56 AM   #58
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

That was what she claimed, which was silly.
Silly or not, it is consistent. Without evidence refuting that claim, it is difficult to accept a different position.
Old 30th October 2016, 11:02 AM   #59
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Until we know what's in them, "It will be nothing" ranks with "It will be something" as equally without foundation.
No it does not. Given 30,000 emails of Clinton's have already been thoroughly investigated with nothing criminal found, it is more likely than not this is more of the same.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 11:02 AM   #60
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Silly or not, it is consistent. Without evidence refuting that claim, it is difficult to accept a different position.
The original claim was that her blackberry would not work with the server, which is utterly false.

We also know that Hillary herself admits that she carries multiple devices, so your story is making less and less sense.
Old 30th October 2016, 11:04 AM   #61
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

To be fair, did she not publicly call for all the emails that Comey may have stumbled upon to be released ASAP?
It's not that simple. One, none of them get released without State Department review. And two, that would be up to Huma, not Hillary, and who knows what personal stuff is in there unrelated to Huma's job.
Old 30th October 2016, 11:08 AM   #62
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

The original claim was that her blackberry would not work with the server, which is utterly false.

We also know that Hillary herself admits that she carries multiple devices, so your story is making less and less sense.
It's not my story.
Old 30th October 2016, 11:10 AM   #63
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

It's not my story.
'K
Old 30th October 2016, 11:14 AM   #64
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Pence is on Meet the Press and Todd doesn't call him on any of his false assertions about Clinton's supposed criminal acts.

Joy Reid is the only person on MSNBC calling these Trumpers on their stump speech lies.

OK, finally Todd challenged something, telling Pence he's wrong claiming the FBI held Clinton to another standard. Now he's challenging Pence about Trump saying he'd sue all his accusers. Pence dodges.

He challenges Pence on Trump's failure to release this year's tax return which cannot be under audit (too soon) but allows Pence to ignore the question and repeat more of the stump speech.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 30th October 2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 30th October 2016, 11:19 AM   #65
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

'K
It is their story, remember? Also, I don't think I have ever been a Clinton supporter here.
Old 30th October 2016, 11:46 AM   #66
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

Originally Posted by Rare Truth View Post

awesome.jpg
Old 30th October 2016, 11:50 AM   #67
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

To: Anthony Weiner

"Tony, I'm getting so worried and angry at Hillary over this. She told me there's no way she'd meet with the Sultan of Brunei unless he donates at least $15 million to the foundation. God forbid this ever gets leaked, I don't see any way she could spin it, and I told her so. She just doesn't seem to care."

Again, that's the sort of thing that, even if hearsay, could lead down a rabbit hole right up to and including felony charges.

Or maybe there's nothing remotely like that.

Interesting times, and all that.
Oh, please! That's so stupid I can't take it seriously
Old 30th October 2016, 12:01 PM   #68
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Comey hasn't even read the emails that MAY or MAY NOT relate to the investigation.

One has to wonder if Comey is simply trying to influence the election.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 12:03 PM   #69
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
Comey hasn't even read the emails that MAY or MAY NOT relate to the investigation.

One has to wonder if Comey is simply trying to influence the election.
Hillary has certainly taken a pounding in the polls since this came out. She's dropped 5+% on 538.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 12:04 PM   #70
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Rare Truth View Post
Brilliant.

WTF is Comey doing? The release of this letter, without knowing what's in the emails or even having a warrant to read them, is very foul.

These emails could be chicken recipes, for all we know. They may have NOTHING to do with Hillary!!!!
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 12:05 PM   #71
Tony Stark
Philosopher

The FBI concluded that she used the private server out of convinience. But obviously the big dog knows more about it than them.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 12:05 PM   #72
Unlike a Bull
Thinker

You think that would be enough to finish Clinton? Anecdotally, the Clinton supporters I know are locked into their vote and there would have to be something extremely damning in the emails for them to not vote for her. I don't think more mishandled classified information is going to sway many people, certainly not enough for her to lose the election.
Unlike a Bull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 12:06 PM   #73
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Hillary has certainly taken a pounding in the polls since this came out. She's dropped 5+% on 538.
We know that Comey may have been taking a lot of heat for not indicting Hillary.

But such heat, is no excuse for making a "Federal Case" over emails that he has not even read and may never get a warrant to read.

This smells very bad.
Old 30th October 2016, 12:15 PM   #74
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Unlike a Bull View Post
You think that would be enough to finish Clinton? Anecdotally, the Clinton supporters I know are locked into their vote and there would have to be something extremely damning in the emails for them to not vote for her. I don't think more mishandled classified information is going to sway many people, certainly not enough for her to lose the election.
Especially when it all comes as a result of a mistake that has been acknowledged for what, two year? Comey's behavior is ugly. He made comments criticizing Clinton and now this letter to Congress. It's negligent at the least and possibly criminal.
Old 30th October 2016, 12:25 PM   #75
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Say, can we split the whole Comey has fixed the election to CT please?

Getting very trutheristic in here!

Hee hee!
Old 30th October 2016, 12:32 PM   #76
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

So your position is that there could be damaging material in the emails but "authorities" won't release them because....they don't have to?

Pretty big bluff on Clinton's part for someone you've called a moron. And a "hawk". And playing "the long con". And whatever else you need her to be in the moment.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
cantonear1968 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2016, 12:37 PM   #77
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

So your position is that there could be damaging material in the emails but "authorities" won't release them because....they don't have to?

Pretty big bluff on Clinton's part for someone you've called a moron. And a "hawk". And playing "the long con". And whatever else you need her to be in the moment.
Fantastic example of a rule of so! Seriously, classic!

The "authorities" won't release them because the CAN'T release them until the criminal investigation is concluded AND they are vetted for classified intelligence.

so simple.
Old 30th October 2016, 12:39 PM   #78
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

Say, can we split the whole Comey has fixed the election to CT please?

Getting very trutheristic in here!

Hee hee!
Are you simply going to ignore that there may actaully be a violation here? Specifically the Hatch Act.

What is CT about that?

Can't be bothered to look, but were you so Trutherific on Trump when he called the FBI rigged? And also, as I understand, now the US Postal Service?

Old 30th October 2016, 12:43 PM   #79
cantonear1968
Graduate Poster

Fantastic example of a rule of so! Seriously, classic!

The "authorities" won't release them because the CAN'T release them until the criminal investigation is concluded AND they are vetted for classified intelligence.

so simple.
That's not what you said. You said they wouldn't take it "seriously". This is different from "can't release them".

But hey. A perfect example of you saying whatever you need to in the moment.

Last edited by cantonear1968; 30th October 2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 30th October 2016, 12:43 PM   #80
newyorkguy
Philosopher

A single email indicating a solid quid pro quo would do it...
You're getting this mixed up. The FBI email investigation is to determine what classified information Clinton may have sent via an unsecured server. It has nothing to do with Secretary of State Clinton allegedly doing favors for nations that donated to the Clinton Foundation.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics