ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 elections , Clinton controversies , hillary clinton , James Comey , presidential candidates

Reply
Old 8th November 2017, 07:19 AM   #3401
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 17,396
The "arrogant" Clinton campaign was more like a "cult" than a political campaign.
That startling accusation came ... not front a Republican, but the former chairman of the DNC, Donna Brazile.
"It was a cult," Brazile said of the Clinton campaign. "I felt like it was a cult."
__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 09:30 AM   #3402
Joe Random
Graduate Poster
 
Joe Random's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,694
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
More importantly, it's natural to want to talk about gun control after a horrific shooting. This meme that it's somehow disrespectful is just crap made up by conservatives to avoid talking about gun control ever.

It's the moment of silence that takes the place of meaningful discussion that's disrespectful.

For my part the issue I took wasn't that she talked about gun control per se, but made an asinine statement about silencers. IOW, trying to use the incident to talk about how we need to do something which would not have affected said incident's outcome. It's something that happens far to much in g*n c*ntrol discussions : the need to Do Something(tm) often has people reaching for things which don't actually help, and not discussing measures which might actually help.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 05:30 AM   #3403
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 10,501
Did Carter go after Ford after the election for pardoning Nixon? Nope. Did Reagan go after Carter for the failed mission to free hostages? Nope. Did Clinton go after Bush Sr for complicity in letting Iran-Contra slide? Nope. Did Bush Jr go after Clinton for sketchy pardons? Nope. Did Obama go after Bush Jr for misleading the public about Iraq invasion? Nope.

Welcome to Banana Republic USA.

Add: I thought the reason for a Special Counsel is because an administration can't be trusted to investigate itself. Has there ever been a Special Counsel for the purpose of investigating the opposing party?
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.

Last edited by varwoche; 14th November 2017 at 05:37 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 05:41 AM   #3404
BobTheCoward
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,836
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Did Carter go after Ford after the election for pardoning Nixon? Nope. Did Reagan go after Carter for the failed mission to free hostages? Nope. Did Clinton go after Bush Sr for complicity in letting Iran-Contra slide? Nope. Did Bush Jr go after Clinton for sketchy pardons? Nope. Did Obama go after Bush Jr for misleading the public about Iraq invasion? Nope.

Welcome to Banana Republic USA.

Add: I thought the reason for a Special Counsel is because an administration can't be trusted to investigate itself. Has there ever been a Special Counsel for the purpose of investigating the opposing party?
If that was the standard, then any presidential candidate that may be losing would be free to commit any crime. If they lose they can't be investigated. If they win there is a risk, but better than not losing.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 12:22 PM   #3405
TellyKNeasuss
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,891
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
If that was the standard, then any presidential candidate that may be losing would be free to commit any crime. If they lose they can't be investigated. If they win there is a risk, but better than not losing.
There is a special counsel investigating the Trump campaign because Trump fired the FBI directory for investigating the Trump campaign. The losing candidate does not have the power to fire the FBI director. Therefore, I don't see the need in general to have special counsels investigating the losing candidate.
__________________
"Facts are stupid things."
Ronald Reagan


TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 12:45 PM   #3406
BobTheCoward
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 9,836
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
There is a special counsel investigating the Trump campaign because Trump fired the FBI directory for investigating the Trump campaign. The losing candidate does not have the power to fire the FBI director. Therefore, I don't see the need in general to have special counsels investigating the losing candidate.
Varwoche simply said "go after."
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 05:03 PM   #3407
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,411
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
.... But it’s ludicrous to say it’s only those on the right keeping Hillary in the news.
Ludicrous? Listened to any news in the last couple days?

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Did Carter go after Ford after the election for pardoning Nixon? Nope. Did Reagan go after Carter for the failed mission to free hostages? Nope. Did Clinton go after Bush Sr for complicity in letting Iran-Contra slide? Nope. Did Bush Jr go after Clinton for sketchy pardons? Nope. Did Obama go after Bush Jr for misleading the public about Iraq invasion? Nope.

Welcome to Banana Republic USA.

Add: I thought the reason for a Special Counsel is because an administration can't be trusted to investigate itself. Has there ever been a Special Counsel for the purpose of investigating the opposing party?
Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
There is a special counsel investigating the Trump campaign because Trump fired the FBI directory for investigating the Trump campaign. The losing candidate does not have the power to fire the FBI director. Therefore, I don't see the need in general to have special counsels investigating the losing candidate.
And because there was an FBI investigation already going on re Russian hacking and other means of interfering in the election. And that turned up connections to the Trump campaign.

As opposed to the latest attempt to again investigate and attack Clinton that is coming from Bannon, Hannity, Trump and the alt-right echo chamber that is calling for this trumped up investigation of the Clinton Foundation and the Uranium One deal.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 01:05 AM   #3408
KDLarsen
Illuminator
 
KDLarsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,617
Shep Smith of Fox News delivers as good a rundown and debunking of the whole Uranium One story, as you're likely to get. How on earth he manages to stay hired at Fox News continues to impress me.

https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2...network/218557
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 03:19 AM   #3409
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing
 
Captain_Swoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 13,289
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Donald Duck-gate?

This is stupid.

And it's just another in a really long line of stupid allegations with no substance to them. Benghazi, Benghazi, e-mails!, Benghazi again, e-mails again! Secret pedophiliac pizza parlors! She's too sick to run!, She screwed Bernie! E-mails again!!!, She's shrill, she's frumpy, she's bad because Bill cheated, isn't she looking sickly?, she's bad because Weinstein donated to their foundation, Oh my god, e-mails again!!!?, it's her fault we have Trump as POTUS because she screwed Bernie!, she's spending too much time out of the public eye, oh my god, she wants publicity again!!!? oh my god, she acted like she was the presumptive nominee way before she won the nomination!!! and now...Donald Duck-gate!!!

This is stupid. So stupid. So very, very stupid.
It's been like this since the election. "Oh it's worth it just to irritate you libtards". You're going to burn the country you claim to love so much just because they won't let you make fun of gay people anymore or use your religion to justify being a racist or sexist?
Amazing the level of self-deception, the level of disdain for anything different or that dares to challenge the tenuous grasp of superiority..
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 06:04 AM   #3410
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator
 
Fast Eddie B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA
Posts: 4,617
Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
Shep Smith of Fox News delivers as good a rundown and debunking of the whole Uranium One story, as you're likely to get. How on earth he manages to stay hired at Fox News continues to impress me.

https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2...network/218557
Shepherd Smith and Neil Cavuto are the only two Fox talking heads I can tolerate.
__________________
“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that...I will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” - President Donald J. Trump, January 20, 2017.
"And it's, frankly, disgusting the way the press is able to write whatever they want to write. And people should look into it." - President Donald J. Trump, October 11, 2017.
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 09:53 AM   #3411
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing
 
Brainster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 14,573
I doubt we would be seeing articles like these if Hillary was President:

Bill Clinton should have resigned.

Quote:
At the time I, like most Americans, was glad to see Clinton prevail and regarded the whole sordid matter as primarily the fault of congressional Republicans’ excessive scandal-mongering. Now, looking back after the election of Donald Trump, the revelations of massive sexual harassment scandals at Fox News, the stories about Harvey Weinstein and others in the entertainment industry, and the stories about Roy Moore’s pursuit of sexual relationships with teenagers, I think we got it wrong. We argued about perjury and adultery and the meaning of the word “is.” Republicans prosecuted a bad case against a president they’d been investigating for years.

What we should have talked about was men abusing their social and economic power over younger and less powerful women.
I Believe Juanita.

Quote:
Of the Clinton accusers, the one who haunts me is Broaddrick. The story she tells about Clinton recalls those we’ve heard about Weinstein. She claimed they had plans to meet in a hotel coffee shop, but at the last minute he asked to come up to her hotel room instead, where he raped her. Five witnesses said she confided in them about the assault right after it happened. It’s true that she denied the rape in an affidavit to Paula Jones’s lawyers, before changing her story when talking to federal investigators. But her explanation, that she didn’t want to go public but couldn’t lie to the F.B.I., makes sense. Put simply, I believe her.
Quite a few people are indicating that if Bill Clinton had gotten the boot or at least resigned in disgrace, maybe Harvey Weinstein wouldn't have gotten the message that it's okay to rape and sexually harass women and take advantage of the power imbalance in your favor, as long as you wave the liberal flag at every opportunity.
__________________
My new blog: Recent Reads.
1960s Comic Book Nostalgia
Visit the Screw Loose Change blog.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 02:34 PM   #3412
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft
 
Childlike Empress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 14,786
Here's a bit of information for dupes who can't understand that informed people not "on the right" have nothing but disgust for Killary, and it's only news because CNN (yup) did some research in the failed (broken) state of Libya:

Libya's Slave Auctions And African Genocide: What Hillary Knew

What she knew has long been known to anybody who cared to look at the emails where she was briefed by Sid Blumenthal about these things. We came, we saw, he died! HAHAHAHA!

Time to lock her up for good.
__________________
De-Putin-Nazify America!
...progress updates [1] [2] [3]...
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 02:39 PM   #3413
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty
 
NoahFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Patriot Nation
Posts: 21,140
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Here's a bit of information for dupes who can't understand that informed people not "on the right" have nothing but disgust for Killary, and it's only news because CNN (yup) did some research in the failed (broken) state of Libya:

Libya's Slave Auctions And African Genocide: What Hillary Knew

What she knew has long been known to anybody who cared to look at the emails where she was briefed by Sid Blumenthal about these things. We came, we saw, he died! HAHAHAHA!

Time to lock her up for good.
LOL @ Your obsession.
I guess everyone needs a hobby.
__________________
you to the ignorant, uneducated portion ofAmerica too short sighted to see what's right in front of your cheeto loving faces.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 02:47 PM   #3414
d4m10n
Master Poster
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 2,683
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I doubt we would be seeing articles like these if Hillary was President...
Finally, Trump does something good for America.
__________________
I'm a happy SINner on the Skeptic Ink Network!
Background Probability: Against Irrationality, Innumeracy, and Ignobility
http://skepticink.com/backgroundprobability/
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 03:35 PM   #3415
Segnosaur
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 9,515
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Here's a bit of information for dupes who can't understand that informed people not "on the right" have nothing but disgust for Killary, and it's only news because CNN (yup) did some research in the failed (broken) state of Libya:

Libya's Slave Auctions And African Genocide: What Hillary Knew
So, you are using as a reference 'zero hedge', a site which is described by RationalWiki as follows:
Zero Hedge is a ******* insane Austrian school finance blog run by two pseudonymous founders who post articles under the name "Tyler Durden," after the character from Fight Club.Wikipedia's W.svg It's essentially apocalypse porn. It has accurately predicted 200 of the last 2 recessions.
...
Zero Hedge is not quite the NaturalNews of economics, but not for want of trying. The Hamilton 68 Project notes an enduring popularity of the site among PutinBot Twitter accounts.


As for Clinton and the issue of Libyan slaves.... do you somehow think Clinton was some sort of omnipotent super being who could fix all of the middle east's problems single handed? Yes, she was probably briefed on the situation. But that doesn't mean that she had an easy way to handle the problem, nor does it mean the situation was any better than the alternative (which would be to have Gadaffi stay in power and have a prolonged civil war with the potential of many more civilian casualties.)
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 03:52 PM   #3416
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft
 
Childlike Empress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 14,786
Well, Segnosaur, I think people who take "RationalWiki" seriously are pseudo-skeptical ideologues I wouldn't be surprised to see shooting up some church.

As for Clinton and the issue of Libyan slaves - do you somehow think Clinton participating in the destruction of that country, knowing of the consequences and cheering the savage murder of its leader, can somehow be excused by her not being omnipotent and other rats like Sarkozy being prominent drivers of that crime against humanity?
__________________
De-Putin-Nazify America!
...progress updates [1] [2] [3]...
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 03:56 PM   #3417
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 23,228
If Hillary Clinton is done, what's the deal with her new Super-PAC?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 04:28 PM   #3418
sir drinks-a-lot
Master Poster
 
sir drinks-a-lot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cole Valley, CA
Posts: 2,995
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
If Hillary Clinton is done, what's the deal with her new Super-PAC?
I'm tempted to sign up for that laugh riot of a mailing list.
__________________
I drink to the general joy o' th' whole table. --William Shakespeare
sir drinks-a-lot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 04:47 PM   #3419
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty
 
NoahFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Patriot Nation
Posts: 21,140
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Well, Segnosaur, I think people who take "RationalWiki" seriously are pseudo-skeptical ideologues I wouldn't be surprised to see shooting up some church.

As for Clinton and the issue of Libyan slaves - do you somehow think Clinton participating in the destruction of that country, knowing of the consequences and cheering the savage murder of its leader, can somehow be excused by her not being omnipotent and other rats like Sarkozy being prominent drivers of that crime against humanity?
Of all the hilariously insane sources you provide, that one may take the cake.
__________________
you to the ignorant, uneducated portion ofAmerica too short sighted to see what's right in front of your cheeto loving faces.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 05:43 PM   #3420
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster
 
snoop_doxie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: In my reality tunnel
Posts: 1,455
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
If Hillary Clinton is done, what's the deal with her new Super-PAC?
Quote:
Disclosure

Contributions or gifts to Onward Together, a 501(c)(4) organization, are not tax deductible as charitable contributions or as business deductions. Onward Together is a not-for-profit membership organization dedicated to advancing progressive values and building a brighter future for generations to come by encouraging people to organize, get involved, and run for office.

A copy of our latest financial report may be obtained by writing to Onward Together, P.O Box 97395, Washington, D.C. 20090, or calling 914-458-1079. If you are a resident of one of these states, you may obtain financial information directly from the state agency:
I don't think Onward Together is a Super Pac for Hillary to run for office.

Do you?
__________________
Formerly known as member wicked_ways
snoop_doxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 05:54 PM   #3421
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,208
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
If Hillary Clinton is done, what's the deal with her new Super-PAC?
I don't know, did you bother looking to see?

Quote:
Onward Together is dedicated to advancing the vision that earned nearly 66 million votes in the last election. By encouraging people to organize, get involved, and run for office, Onward Together will advance progressive values and work to build a brighter future for generations to come.

Citizen engagement at every level is central to a strong and vibrant democracy. In recent months, we've seen what's possible when people come together to resist bullying, hate, falsehoods, and divisiveness, and stand up for a fairer, more inclusive America.
Seems that the only connection to Hillary is that it uses a quote by her on the front page. Hey but why let little things like facts get in the way of a good beat up, right?
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 15th November 2017 at 05:56 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 06:15 PM   #3422
Noztradamus
Illuminator
 
Noztradamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,600
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
I don't know, did you bother looking to see?



Seems that the only connection to Hillary is that it uses a quote by her on the front page. Hey but why let little things like facts get in the way of a good beat up, right?
That and that she started it and is the CEO
__________________
The Australian Family Association's John Morrissey was aghast when he learned Jessica Watson was bidding to become the youngest person to sail round the world alone, unaided and without stopping.
Noztradamus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 11:52 PM   #3423
Segnosaur
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 9,515
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Well, Segnosaur, I think people who take "RationalWiki" seriously are pseudo-skeptical ideologues I wouldn't be surprised to see shooting up some church.
I think the operative word in that statement is "I think". In other words, you have made a statement about RationalWiki based on your beliefs, which does not appear to be rooted in fact.

But since you seem to think RationalWiki=bad, lets look at a few more sources...

How about this comment from one of the former writers?

From: http://www.smh.com.au/business/media...29-goit31.html
After more than a year writing for the financial website Zero Hedge under the nom de doom of the cult classic's anarchic hero, Lokey's going public.
...
"What you are reading at Zero Hedge is nonsense. And you shouldn't support it," Lokey wrote in an e-mail.
...
Lokey, who said he wrote much of the site's political content, claimed there was pressure to frame issues in a way he felt was disingenuous.


Or how about this blog from a professor from the University of Houston...

From: http://streetwiseprofessor.com/?p=8947
ZH is an important transmission belt moving the story from Russian propagandists/information warriors to western news consumers. It happens a lot.

Or how about this analysis of Zero Hedge's financial analysis ability:

From: http://money.cnn.com/2014/09/25/inve...nce/index.html
It's safe to say that those who did make investment decisions based on Zero Hedge's bearish views missed or all part of a bull market that has carried the S&P 500 200% higher.

So, former writer says he was under pressure to write misleading articles. Mainstream university professor analyzes the site and finds that the site echos Russian sources. And a financial analysis shows their "predictions" over most of the past decade have been wrong. Yet you seem to cling to the belief that it is a reputable news source.

Quote:
As for Clinton and the issue of Libyan slaves - do you somehow think Clinton participating in the destruction of that country, knowing of the consequences...
Once again, since you seem to be incapable of even a basic understanding...

THERE WERE NO GOOD SOLUTIONS TO THE SITUATION IN LIBYA!

The civil war was already ongoing when the U.S. got involved. (Fighting began in February 2011; Western involvement started roughly a month later. In that time there were hundreds of casualties, many of whom were not armed combatants.) Without the participation of western military powers, the situation would likely have resulted in a protracted war with extensive casualties. The fact that there were negative consequences to U.S. military action doesn't necessarily mean it still wasn't the best possible solution.

Not really sure how much clearer I can make that.
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 12:40 AM   #3424
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,999
Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Of all the hilariously insane sources you provide, that one may take the cake.
Let's not jump to any quick conclusions.
__________________
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 01:23 AM   #3425
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft
 
Childlike Empress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 14,786
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
But since you seem to think RationalWiki=bad, lets look at a few more sources...

Had you understood what you are babbling about you could have spared us this drama. Zero Hedge is merely reporting (expanding on the new CNN research on the Libyan slave trade) what we know from the vast Killary email cache available on the wikileaks site. As linked in the article. And these mails are not there because Putin hacked them, but because of FOIA requests by Judicial Watch IIRC. Your source critique is a complete joke, a total embarrassment.
__________________
De-Putin-Nazify America!
...progress updates [1] [2] [3]...
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2017, 01:32 AM   #3426
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft
 
Childlike Empress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 14,786
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
THERE WERE NO GOOD SOLUTIONS TO THE SITUATION IN LIBYA!

The "situation" in Libya was created by arming Jihadi cut-throats to the teeth, then when those were opposed by the legitimate government making up ridiculous lies like Gaddafi feeding his army Viagra so they could better rape the civilians, then abusing a UN resolution to bomb the richest country in Africa back into the stone age. A monstrous crime which was perpetrated in cold blood and led to consequences Europe today is immensely suffering from (not to speak of the Libyans left in a Mad Max reality), just like the good colonel has predicted. You are screaming in the wrong direction, pal. Wake up.
__________________
De-Putin-Nazify America!
...progress updates [1] [2] [3]...
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 12:31 AM   #3427
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,208
Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
That and that she started it and is the CEO
There isn't anything on the website saying that, but if true, then that's even more evidence that she's done as a politician because you can't run a Super-Pac and stand for office at the same time, just ask Stephen Colbert!
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 01:04 AM   #3428
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,208
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
The "situation" in Libya was created by arming Jihadi cut-throats to the teeth, then when those were opposed by the legitimate government making up ridiculous lies like Gaddafi feeding his army Viagra so they could better rape the civilians, then abusing a UN resolution to bomb the richest country in Africa back into the stone age. A monstrous crime which was perpetrated in cold blood and led to consequences Europe today is immensely suffering from (not to speak of the Libyans left in a Mad Max reality), just like the good colonel has predicted. You are screaming in the wrong direction, pal. Wake up.
Seriously? What sort of alternative world do you live it? It had absolutely nothing to do with any of this. It started with protests over house projects being too slow, and when the protesters were poorly treated it sparked civil rights protests based on the Egypt and Tunisia protests. When many of those protesters were arrested and following the arrest of a prominent Civil Rights Lawyer who was pushing for recompense for relatives of a jail massacre in 1996, more Civil Rights protests erupted all over Benghazi and Tripoli. Gaddafi called in the Military, which was to result in the National Conference for the Libyan Opposition calling for the Day of Rage protests on the 17th Feb 2011. Before that happened a protest to free Civil Rights Lawyer Fathi Terbil turned violent with rocks and molotov cocktails being thrown at the police and military.

Gaddafi clamped down on protests announcing a curfew and placing limits of the number of people that could meet. It didn't work and the Arab Spring protesters violently took over Zawiya and Zintan, burning Government buildings and now calling for Gaddafi to step down because of his human right violations.

That lead to the Day of Rage (Feb 17th) with massive human rights protests in cities across Libya. The protesters came under fire from the Libyan armed forces and proceeded to go on a rampage, capturing and burning Government buildings throughout Benghazi and Tripoli. Then on Feb 18th the Protesters stormed the Military positions and forced them to retreat. Some of the Police and Military in Benghazi joined the Protesters, while the rest withdrew and left the area. Over the next few days the protests grew across the country, and there were reports of Libyan troops firing on the crowds from Helicopters which just sparked more protests driving the Military from more towns,

it wasn't until the 27th, ten days after the Day of Rage, that those that would become the Rebels, actually got organised and brought forces together, most of them just ordinary protesters and those that had defected from the military. While there were some Islamists, at the start they weren't outsiders, they were Libyans, but those that joined with the rest of the people, and they didn't have control either.

The war started from there.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 02:10 AM   #3429
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft
 
Childlike Empress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ivory Tower
Posts: 14,786
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Seriously?

Seriously. Your trip to wikipedia to read and reproduce parroted Anglo propaganda was unnecessary. People can read that junk themselves. The essence lies somewhere else.
__________________
De-Putin-Nazify America!
...progress updates [1] [2] [3]...
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 03:27 AM   #3430
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,208
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Seriously. Your trip to wikipedia to read and reproduce parroted Anglo propaganda was unnecessary. People can read that junk themselves. The essence lies somewhere else.


You do realise that this forum was around in 2011 and that there are contemporary threads about what was happening at the time? That most of us remember what happened just under 7 years ago? I'm sure you do, because you were in there blaming the US for the Arab Spring at the time.

You also remember that at the time Mubarek's downfall in Egypt was happening, the Tunisian Government had fallen and that people were also protesting in Algeria, Bahrain, Yemen, and Iran as well?

The Libyan Protests were not happening in a vacuum. They were mirrors of what was happening all over the Middle East at the time.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 17th November 2017 at 03:29 AM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 05:57 AM   #3431
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed
 
Mycroft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 18,519
Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Seriously. Your trip to wikipedia to read and reproduce parroted Anglo propaganda was unnecessary. People can read that junk themselves. The essence lies somewhere else.
There is a reason certain people don't like Wikipedia, and that reason is Wikipedia has standards that make it difficult for kooks to impose their own narrative on its articles. I've run into the same kind of contempt from white nationalists, holocaust deniers, and anti-Israel propagandists.

Maybe at the next staff meeting you can propose a Kremlin run alternative? Like Metapedia only replacing the white nationalist point of view with a putinist anti-Western point of view?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 09:04 AM   #3432
Stacko
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,826
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Like Metapedia only replacing the white nationalist point of view with a putinist anti-Western point of view?
How is that different than Metapedia?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 10:29 AM   #3433
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,978
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
it wasn't until the 27th, ten days after the Day of Rage, that those that would become the Rebels, actually got organised and brought forces together, most of them just ordinary protesters and those that had defected from the military. While there were some Islamists, at the start they weren't outsiders, they were Libyans, but those that joined with the rest of the people, and they didn't have control either.

The war started from there.
I wonder where the idea to bring those mercenaries came from??

Quote:
On March 9, 2011, Sid Blumenthal emailed Clinton about the situation in Libya, with the subject line “H: serious trouble for Libyan rebels. Sid” The email discusses urging leaders of the National Libyan Council (NLC) “to consider hiring private troops (mercenaries) to support, organize, and train the rebel forces in Libya.” Blumenthal adds that “a small number of private troops could turn the battle against Qaddafi’s forces, particularly if they are equipped with sophisticated anti-aircraft weapons.” Clinton asks former aide Huma Abedin to “print for me w/o any identifiers”.
The latest release of Hillary emails
__________________
Cleanliness is next to Godliness.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 10:33 AM   #3434
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty
 
NoahFence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Patriot Nation
Posts: 21,140
Well done!
__________________
you to the ignorant, uneducated portion ofAmerica too short sighted to see what's right in front of your cheeto loving faces.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2017, 05:14 PM   #3435
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 10,501
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
If that was the standard, then any presidential candidate that may be losing would be free to commit any crime. If they lose they can't be investigated. If they win there is a risk, but better than not losing.
Wrong. The loser who commits the crime can be prosecuted 'normally' by the justice department, no Special Council required.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 08:29 PM   #3436
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 22,635
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
The "arrogant" Clinton campaign was more like a "cult" than a political campaign.
That startling accusation came ... not front a Republican, but the former chairman of the DNC, Donna Brazile.
"It was a cult," Brazile said of the Clinton campaign. "I felt like it was a cult."
It's all in her book, read all about it, available at all bookstores and magazine shack, soon to be remaindered.

Is Donna Brazile a name that would naturally push a book in the US? Or get a mention here? It's gone right past me in a way that Manafort and Flynn haven't, and Hillary Clinton hit my rader way back.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 08:37 PM   #3437
Noztradamus
Illuminator
 
Noztradamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,600
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
It's all in her book, read all about it, available at all bookstores and magazine shack, soon to be remaindered.

.
At least Brazile hasn't sunk to flogging her book in Costco yet.
__________________
The Australian Family Association's John Morrissey was aghast when he learned Jessica Watson was bidding to become the youngest person to sail round the world alone, unaided and without stopping.
Noztradamus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 08:43 PM   #3438
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 22,635
Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
If that was the standard, then any presidential candidate that may be losing would be free to commit any crime. If they lose they can't be investigated. If they win there is a risk, but better than not losing.
Only if you totally discount your reputation.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150

Last edited by CapelDodger; 18th November 2017 at 09:05 PM.
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 09:02 PM   #3439
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing
 
CapelDodger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Cardiff, South Wales
Posts: 22,635
Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
At least Brazile hasn't sunk to flogging her book in Costco yet.
They'll be there before Xmas, mark my words. Anything will make a better return on the space.

Hillary Clinton's timing was better. There's a season for political tomes, and this ain't it. Their only purpose now is presents for relatives you don't like. The Clinton Deranged have snapped it up already and the Trumpen Proletariat are not notoriously big on reading as a pastime.
__________________
It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward - Lewis Carroll (1832-1898)

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2017, 09:24 PM   #3440
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 63,411
Why on Earth would the Clintons have anything to do with the slave trade?

Good *********** grief! Honestly CE, did it not even dawn on you the idea of it was as ignorant as the pizza parlor kiddie sex ring?

It doesn't make one lick of sense.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:12 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.