ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2017 elections , Alabama elections , Alabama politics , roy moore

Old 9th November 2017, 12:36 PM   #41
nelsondogg
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
After they forgave Trump for his pussy grabbing comments i think the people of Alabama would be perfectly fine with this.
It's Alabama. He could have banged his sister and the voters there would be fine with it.
nelsondogg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 12:45 PM   #42
Stacko
Philosopher

Problem solved.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 01:01 PM   #43
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
It's going to be a disturbing experiment in what conservative partisans are willing to excuse in order to elect someone unfit for office.
I don't know he really does seem like he might be the best person to represent the true nature of Alabama. These new issues only further my impression of that.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 01:08 PM   #44
Segnosaur
Philosopher

Originally Posted by nelsondogg View Post
It's Alabama. He could have banged his sister and the voters there would be fine with it.
In fact, it might have actually improved his support.

"Moore... he's just like us!"

(My apologies to any Alabama residents. Although in my defense, if you don't want to appear like a bunch of backwards buffoons, perhaps you should try, you know, not supporting people like Moore and Trump.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 01:12 PM   #45
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
In fact, it might have actually improved his support.

"Moore... he's just like us!"

(My apologies to any Alabama residents. Although in my defense, if you don't want to appear like a bunch of backwards buffoons, perhaps you should try, you know, not supporting people like Moore and Trump.)
Banging teens will certainly not hurt his appeal. It didn't hurt Phil Robertson's appeal after all.

http://www.msnbc.com/hardball/duck-d...ld-marry-teens

"Look, you wait ‘til they get to be 20 years old, the only picking that’s going to take place is your pocket,” he says. “You got to marry these girls when they are about 15 or 16.” "
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 01:14 PM   #46
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

This makes it even a better win/win situation for Democrats:makes a win in Alabama little more likely,and if Moore wins he is even more damaged goods........

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 01:22 PM   #47
EventHorizon
Atheist Tergiversator

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
After they forgave Trump for his pussy grabbing comments i think the people of Alabama would be perfectly fine with this.
You may be right:

Quote:
Alabama State Auditor Jim Zeigler, a Moore backer: "Even if you accept the Washington Post’s report as being completely true, it’s much ado about very little."
https://twitter.com/lyman_brian/stat...12904374861824
Old 9th November 2017, 01:22 PM   #48
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Nick Jack Pappas, political comedian just tweeted:

Quote:
In a shocking turn of events, the role of Roy Moore in the Alabama Senate race will now be played by Christopher Plummer.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 9th November 2017 at 01:24 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 01:35 PM   #49
Stacko
Philosopher

Of course:
Breitbart was given an advance warning that a Senate candidate had molested young girls and chose instead to run interference for him
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 01:40 PM   #50
phiwum
Philosopher

Might be so, but let's wait for a little evidence rather than tweets.

At which point, we ought to be damned appalled.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 01:42 PM   #51
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think the WAPO would go with something this explosive unless they had some pretty damn good evidence.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th November 2017, 01:44 PM   #52
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I don't think the WAPO would go with something this explosive unless they had some pretty damn good evidence.
WAPO? They made up that whole Watergate thing. Of course, they'd make up something like this.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 01:45 PM   #53
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Might be so, but let's wait for a little evidence rather than tweets.

At which point, we ought to be damned appalled.
This:

Quote:
After Endorsing Democrat in Alabama, Bezos’s Washington Post Plans to Hit Roy Moore with Allegations of Inappropriate Relations with Teenagers; Judge Claims Smear Campaign
was literally the title of the article they wrote pre-empting the story. It's pretty clear.
Old 9th November 2017, 01:48 PM   #54
Stacko
Philosopher

The evangelicals are already falling in line. I guess it's ok because they were girls and alive.
Old 9th November 2017, 01:50 PM   #55
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

The evangelicals are already falling in line. I guess it's ok because they were girls and alive.
And he's white and a Republican.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 01:55 PM   #56
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I see it like this: the hardcore base will vote for him still because they hate Liberals winning more than their guy being a degenerate. Another faction of Republicans will continue to say they endorse him leaving him with high poll numbers.

But on election day the latter may just stay home in the way that many Republicans did in Virginia and in that case if the Democrats can just turn out the vote they could win even though polls will predict otherwise.
Old 9th November 2017, 01:59 PM   #57
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's going to be a disturbing experiment in what conservative partisans are willing to excuse in order to elect someone unfit for office.
Seriously? Did you not notice who is POTUS?

Or was that sarcasm?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 02:07 PM   #58
phiwum
Philosopher

This:

was literally the title of the article they wrote pre-empting the story. It's pretty clear.
Apologies I haven't seen tbat story yet.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 02:11 PM   #59
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Are we not living in strange times? He we are legitimately uncertain if a Senate candidate would lose the election even if he were proven to have had sex with multiple children.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 02:12 PM   #60
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Is the alive part important?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 02:13 PM   #61
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Are we not living in strange times? He we are legitimately uncertain if a Senate candidate would lose the election even if he were proven to have had sex with multiple children.
Well...
Old 9th November 2017, 02:15 PM   #62
Stacko
Philosopher

Is the alive part important?
It's a play on, "The only way I can lose this election is if I'm caught in bed with either a dead girl or a live boy."
Old 9th November 2017, 02:17 PM   #63
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

It would have been different if they were black and/or under 12 but otherwise, yes. What fifty-something redneck doesn't want to schtup a highschool cheerleader if they had the chance ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 02:41 PM   #64
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Wanting to and trying to are pretty different things.
Old 9th November 2017, 03:07 PM   #65
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Now stories..unconfirmed... that Luther Strange is in contact with GOP Senators leaders about running a write in campaign and one of the Senators is Lisa Mukowski who pulled it off in Alaska. If true this could be really bizarre.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th November 2017, 03:51 PM   #66
Arcade22
Illuminator

Nothing shocks me anymore since after Trump became the Republican nominee. I mean the fact that he likes teenage girls is by itself bad in my opinion. Didn't some congressman have gay sex with teenage aide and still manage to get elected way back?

If anything his political views and religious extremism, whether he actually believes all the nonsense he says or not, is his big problem. It's like Alabama republicans decided to elect the craziest religious fundamentalist they could find. Then again America elected Trump to the presidency so it's not really unexpected that these people would choose someone such as this, of all available choices, to represent themselves. Are they competing among themselves about who can elect the worst candidate possible, just to hasten the end of America?
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner

Last edited by Arcade22; 9th November 2017 at 04:00 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 03:54 PM   #67
Segnosaur
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Now stories..unconfirmed... that Luther Strange is in contact with GOP Senators leaders about running a write in campaign and one of the Senators is Lisa Mukowski who pulled it off in Alaska. If true this could be really bizarre.
With luck that would split the republican vote and give the Democrats a chance to take the seat.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 03:56 PM   #68
Stacko
Philosopher

These people are evil.
"It was 40 years ago," Alabama Marion County GOP chair David Hall tells me. "I really don't see the relevance of it. He was 32. She was supposedly 14. She's not saying that anything happened other than they kissed."

Me: "The story said she said he tried to get her to touch his genitals." Hall: "Well, she said he may have TRIED to. But we're talking something that somebody SAID happened, 40 years ago. It wouldn't affect whether or not I'd vote for him."

More Hall: “The other women that they’re using to corrobrate: number one, one was 19, one was 17, one was 16. There’s nothing wrong with a 30-year-old single male asking a 19-year-old, a 17-year-old, or a 16-year-old out on a date."

After a long pause, Alabama Bibb County Republican chairman Jerry Pow tells me he'd vote for Roy Moore even if Moore did commit a sex crime against a girl.

"I would vote for Judge Moore because I wouldn't want to vote for Doug," he says. "I'm not saying I support what he did."

“I really can’t comment until I have a chance to digest it," says Tallapoosa County GOP chairwoman Denise Bates. “Nothing to say," says Marengo County chairman Robert Duke.

Alabama Mobile County GOP chairman John Skipper: "It does not really surprise me. I think it is a typical Democratic - Democrat - ploy to discredit Judge Moore, a sincere, honest, trustworthy individual."

"These allegations that surfaced today - to my knowledge, they're all bunk. No credibility whatsoever," Mobile County Republican chairman John Skipper tells me.

If these allegations against Moore were true, Mitch McConnell's anti-Moore allies would have obviously found them and released them during the primary, Mobile County Republican chairman John Skipper tells me.

Alabama Covington County GOP Chairman William Blocker tells me Democrats convinced these women to tell a fake story to damage Moore.

I told him the 14-year-old became a Trump voter.

"That's the typical background or profile of somebody they would be using for that," he said.

"If they said she was a Hillary supporter, then she'd be more dismissed by the local voters here in the state of Alabama. You'd have to paint her as a Trump supporter to be of any credibility," Covington County GOP Chairman William Blocker says.

"Yeah!" Covington County GOP Chairman William Blocker tells me he'd consider voting Moore even if hard proof of sexual abuse emerged.

"There is NO option to support to support Doug Jones, the Democratic nominee. When you do that, you are supporting the entire Democrat party."
Old 9th November 2017, 04:29 PM   #69
crescent
Graduate Poster

These people are evil.
It's as if G.O.P. suddenly stands for "Good On Pedophiles"
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 04:38 PM   #70
Stacko
Philosopher

Thou Shalt

Old 9th November 2017, 05:21 PM   #71
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

First of, I read the WaPo article, and they are very clear on how they got the statements out of the fur ladies that related their teenage encounters with Moore - sounds pretty solid for such an old story, so I say there is probably enough truth to it that we can discuss it at face value. Still, a little bit of salt is always in order, as human recollection is a marvelously malleable thing.

Having said that, I think there is not much wrong in principle for a single man, early 32s, to have a knack for teenagers. Three of the four were 16 and older at the time - in many law books, that's ok, and in my book, that's not something that worries me greatly.
As for the 14-year old - that is certainly a borderline case: She was not outrught forced or bribed into going along - her account is pretty clear that she had mixed emotions: flattered and excited on one hand, uneasy, nervous and uncomfortable on the other. As is perfectly normal at that age, coming out of puberty.
There was, we are told, a brief, mild episode of petting - that is too much even in my rather liberal book, and constitutes a problem indeed that he should address, but it is not necessarily something that makes him uneligible for office 38 years later for me. At least he had the control to stop when she asked him to stop, and he brought her home.

So if all the world was liberal bastards like me, that's a just a small scandal that should not override the general assessment of Moore as a candidate for political office.

HOWEVER my values are not his values, and they are not his voter base's values! Their values, especially when it comes to sexual mores, are uptight, ridiculously chastise, sex-hating X-tian suppression.
it is difficult to understand why all these Jesus-fearing X-tians with their "no sex before marriage" and "I shoot you if you touch my teenage daughter" attitude aren't righteously indignated?! Is it unfair to hold them to their own standards?

Moore was a predatory seeker of teenage sex. That's simply wrong in his own belief system. And he even denies!
Though shalt not bear false witness!
Old 9th November 2017, 05:45 PM   #72
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by nelsondogg View Post
Meh, this isn’t Hollywood or the Clintons
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 05:48 PM   #73
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I see it like this: the hardcore base will vote for him still because they hate Liberals winning more than their guy being a degenerate. Another faction of Republicans will continue to say they endorse him leaving him with high poll numbers.

But on election day the latter may just stay home in the way that many Republicans did in Virginia and in that case if the Democrats can just turn out the vote they could win even though polls will predict otherwise.
No not really, see we on the right aren’t used to our side having degenerates. So more evidence is going to have to come out. Now if this happens to your favorite leftist, it would be a resume enhancer.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 05:49 PM   #74
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post

HOWEVER my values are not his values, and they are not his voter base's values! Their values, especially when it comes to sexual mores, are uptight, ridiculously chastise, sex-hating X-tian suppression.
it is difficult to understand why all these Jesus-fearing X-tians with their "no sex before marriage" and "I shoot you if you touch my teenage daughter" attitude aren't righteously indignated?! Is it unfair to hold them to their own standards?

Moore was a predatory seeker of teenage sex. That's simply wrong in his own belief system. And he even denies!
Though shalt not bear false witness!
See what I mean Travis?

Last edited by logger; 9th November 2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 9th November 2017, 06:07 PM   #75
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Originally Posted by logger View Post
No not really, see we on the right aren’t used to our side having degenerates. So more evidence is going to have to come out. Now if this happens to your favorite leftist, it would be a resume enhancer.
That is a pretty principled and open-minded attitude.
You might even say open enough to qualify as wide-stanced and covfefed.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 06:08 PM   #76
Hutch
A broken man on a Halifax pier, the last of Barrett's Privateers

No not really, see we on the right aren’t used to our side having degenerates.
Yep, those liberals like Governor Mark Sanford, Senator John Ensign, Representative Vito Fosarella, Newt Gingrich, Senator Larry Craig, and a few others...http://www.newnownext.com/19-republi...ndals/12/2016/

Hmmmmmm.....
Old 9th November 2017, 06:13 PM   #77
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
Yep, those liberals like Governor Mark Sanford, Senator John Ensign, Representative Vito Fosarella, Newt Gingrich, Senator Larry Craig, and a few others...http://www.newnownext.com/19-republi...ndals/12/2016/

Hmmmmmm.....
Don't forget Dennis Hastert.
Old 9th November 2017, 06:14 PM   #78
phiwum
Philosopher

Meh, this isn’t Hollywood or the Clintons
Sorry, please let me ask to be sure I understand you.

A thirty-two year old man molested a fourteen year old girl, granted some time ago. Let's suppose for the moment that the allegation is true. You don't think it matters? You don't think that this fact would make him a poor choice for the United States Senate?

At least he's not a Clinton? Is that your position?

Thanks for clarifying.
Old 9th November 2017, 06:23 PM   #79
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Sorry, please let me ask to be sure I understand you.

A thirty-two year old man molested a fourteen year old girl, granted some time ago. Let's suppose for the moment that the allegation is true. You don't think it matters? You don't think that this fact would make him a poor choice for the United States Senate?

At least he's not a Clinton? Is that your position?

Thanks for clarifying.
I suspect his silent reference is to Bill Clinton's sexual escapades as POTUS and perhaps the accusations before he got that far. Because unproven accusations that were actually investigated, coupled with a blowjob from a consenting adult are evil while Roy Moore preying on minors isn't a big deal. Not to mention Hillary Clinton's refusal to leave Bill after the Lewinsky infidelity is proof of her sliminess and political aspirations as a power-hungry elitist while people continuing to support Roy Moore is simply recognition of Christian goodness.
Old 9th November 2017, 06:28 PM   #80
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
I suspect his silent reference is to Bill Clinton's sexual escapades as POTUS and perhaps the accusations before he got that far. Because unproven accusations that were actually investigated, coupled with a blowjob from a consenting adult are evil while Roy Moore preying on minors isn't a big deal. Not to mention Hillary Clinton's refusal to leave Bill after the Lewinsky infidelity is proof of her sliminess and political aspirations as a power-hungry elitist while people continuing to support Roy Moore is simply recognition of Christian goodness.
Sure, that might be what he means, but I'd like to hear it from his mouth, rather than just guess.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics