ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2017 elections , Alabama elections , Alabama politics , roy moore

Old 12th November 2017, 09:18 PM   #281
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Lol

You seriously donít understand that a person usually doesnít apologise for something they didnít do?
Terrible try - the tool is guilty as hell - and I hope they can get solid proof on it!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 09:19 PM   #282
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Sorry, Moore is quite different.

He isn't disavowing his past, when he pursued girls which would be described by the phrase "barely legal". He is saying he is not sure it ever happened, that he can't remember whether he ever did such a thing, but he is certain that he had their parents' permission.

He is lying, today, long after his renewal through Jesus Christ.....unless, just maybe, he hasn't really renewed his life through Jesus Christ. Maybe he just got old and stopped chasing skirts, especially those he met in Civics class.
I donít think you know the full story on that. Itís only been two and sounded like it lasted about five minutes. Probably a bit awkward for a young man who was searching for a wife.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 09:19 PM   #283
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Iíd rather see you figure it out for yourself, itíll be more fun that way.
I don't want to have fun. I don't want to guess. I just want you to spell out your own case. If you can't do that, ok, I shall conclude you have no case and lose the debate by default. So:

Can you please spell out the facts that you were thinking about here?
Old 12th November 2017, 09:20 PM   #284
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Terrible try - the tool is guilty as hell - and I hope they can get solid proof on it!!!
Lol
Ok, good luck?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 09:22 PM   #285
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
I don't want to have fun. I don't want to guess. I just want you to spell out your own case. If you can't do that, ok, I shall conclude you have no case and lose the debate by default. So:

Can you please spell out the facts that you were thinking about here?
You don’t get to write the rules. If I lose the debate by default then maybe I won’t have to answer anymore stupid questions?
Old 12th November 2017, 09:23 PM   #286
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

30 or 40? Lol which is it?

I didnít say he is not guilty, I said I didnít believe he was. Some of the few things that have been revealed call into question the story these women are telling.
Uhhh, no you said, "He should just accept the fact heís guilty even though he isnít."

I don't see any "I believe" or "IMO" qualifier there. And like was pointed out, is he innocent or forgiven? Can't be both. And if he's forgiven, what about calling his victim a liar now?

As for 30-40, why does the exact number matter? You can look it up.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 09:24 PM   #287
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Far be it from me to say anything nice about Alabama Fundies, but this is a disconnect so strong that I think there's something more to it than the answer implies.

"Given the allegations" is loaded if you're a right winger or Roy Moore follower. A certain type of bible-thumping right winger is probably more likely to believe these are made-up charges by the Godless Left trying to take down a man who's done everything in his power to give Our Lord a seat at the table, on the jury, in the DA's office and in the jury box.

I think many of those rockhard fundies and diehard conservatives believe the "Fake News" mantra to the extent that they may have answered "more likely" because they are sure their darling Roy is being persecuted. NOT necessarily because they favor molesting post-pubescent teens.
Frankly, if they are fundies with their known beliefs re: the young (especially if under their direct control) I have to assume they are strongly favoring being able to molest post-pubescent teens - given the bible was loaded with that. Unless, of course, some of the "true stuff" scattered in the bible was really just whack-off material for some of it's readers and promulgators.

Wash this space!

Last edited by fuelair; 12th November 2017 at 09:30 PM. Reason: removed excess beliefs (word, not actual list)
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 09:24 PM   #288
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Last crosstab on page 12. I wish they had of separated it into black & white evangelical voters because I bet there'd be a significant difference.

ETA:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=11579

Ahhh. Thank you.
Cl1mh4224rd is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 09:27 PM   #289
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Uhhh, no you said, "He should just accept the fact heís guilty even though he isnít."

I don't see any "I believe" or "IMO" qualifier there. And like was pointed out, is he innocent or forgiven? Can't be both. And if he's forgiven, what about calling his victim a liar now?
Lol
I remember to post my qualifiers. :
Quote:
As for 30-40, why does the exact number matter? You can look it up.
Because it isnít anywhere near 30 or 40. You can look it up, I already know what it is.
Old 12th November 2017, 09:28 PM   #290
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

You donít get to write the rules. If I lose the debate by default then maybe I wonít have to answer anymore stupid questions?
Thanks for verifying that you have no facts and no fact-based argument

Good night.
Old 12th November 2017, 09:29 PM   #291
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

You donít get to write the rules. If I lose the debate by default then maybe I wonít have to answer anymore stupid questions?
A) you correctly note you do not get to write the rules (mods do).

B)You are never required to answer questions - stupid or otherwise. You are the one who does get to make THAT decision.

Wash this space!

Old 12th November 2017, 09:30 PM   #292
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Thanks for verifying that you have no facts and no fact-based argument

Good night.
Old 12th November 2017, 09:34 PM   #293
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I don’t think you know the full story on that. It’s only been two and sounded like it lasted about five minutes. Probably a bit awkward for a young man who was searching for a wife.
I got my information from the Hannity interview with Roy Moore, which I listened to live when it was broadcast on Hannity's show.

The dude was lying. He was full of contradictions. However, just to be certain,several people have come forward corroborating that he had a habit of dating high school girls. This isn't even seriously worth questioning.

The really serious charge, the one about the 14 year old, that one is uncorroborated, and I'm reluctant to declare him guilty without corroboration.

So, well, what he did with the 16 year olds was perfectly legal so, whatever. It's just that here he is on a crusade against perversion, and he dated high school chicks when he was 32. "Pervert" is such a judgmental term, and maybe inappropriate, but I would be far more inclined to apply the term to Roy Moore than to Ellen DeGeneres.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 09:41 PM   #294
logger
Philosopher

I got my information from the Hannity interview with Roy Moore, which I listened to live when it was broadcast on Hannity's show.

The dude was lying. He was full of contradictions. However, just to be certain,several people have come forward corroborating that he had a habit of dating high school girls. This isn't even seriously worth questioning.

The really serious charge, the one about the 14 year old, that one is uncorroborated, and I'm reluctant to declare him guilty without corroboration.

So, well, what he did with the 16 year olds was perfectly legal so, whatever. It's just that here he is on a crusade against perversion, and he dated high school chicks when he was 32. "Pervert" is such a judgmental term, and maybe inappropriate, but I would be far more inclined to apply the term to Roy Moore than to Ellen DeGeneres.
Lordy!

You want a 70 something year old man to remember perfectly well asking out two girls over 40 years ago? Iíd hardly say he was dating someone he allegedly talk to on the phone three times or talked to at an ice cream shop or supposedly bought drinks for at a restaurant in a dry county.
Old 12th November 2017, 10:04 PM   #295
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I really doubt that it (pedophilia) matters much to Southern Conservatives.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 10:22 PM   #296
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

He isn't disavowing his past, when he pursued girls which would be described by the phrase "barely legal". He is saying he is not sure it ever happened, that he can't remember whether he ever did such a thing, but he is certain that he had their parents' permission.
This was one of the parts that really sealed it from me, straight from the creep's own mouth. I'm 33-years-old. The very prospect of dating someone so young that I would need to ask her parent's permission is just mind-boggling, and he's treating it like it's perfectly innocent.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 10:32 PM   #297
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
This was one of the parts that really sealed it from me, straight from the creep's own mouth. I'm 33-years-old. The very prospect of dating someone so young that I would need to ask her parent's permission is just mind-boggling, and he's treating it like it's perfectly innocent.
It’s because you’re ignorant of the way things were done back then and still done in many Christian circles. Asking the parents permission is a sign of respect for her parents and her.
Old 12th November 2017, 10:55 PM   #298
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

We aren't all millennials. This was 1979 when many of us (including me) were alive and I assure you among the people I grew up with a 30+ man dating a teenager would have been not well thought of at all.
Old 13th November 2017, 12:44 AM   #299
Arcade22
Illuminator

I'll note that in yet another article the Washington Post effectively equated sexually assaulting a 14 year old with dating teenagers aged 16-18. The sexual assault only gets mentioned briefly, and they don't emphasize the abusive nature, as a part of him dating teenagers while he was in his early 30's.

The message that they want to send is apparently that dating teenagers is as serious as sexually assault, or put in another way that sexual assault is as serious as dating teenagers (which is not very serious).
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 01:01 AM   #300
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
I'll note that in yet another article the Washington Post effectively equated sexually assaulting a 14 year old with dating teenagers aged 16-18. The sexual assault only gets mentioned briefly, and they don't emphasize the abusive nature, as a part of him dating teenagers while he was in his early 30's.

The message that they want to send is apparently that dating teenagers is as serious as sexually assault, or put in another way that sexual assault is as serious as dating teenagers (which is not very serious).
IMO no, that's the message you have chosen to take away from the article in order to support your own views.

My take-away is from the article was that Moore has a long history of being sexually attracted to teenage girls, that on at least one occasion he has committed sexual assault and that on many occasions he abused his position of authority and trust to establish relations with teenage girls.

IMO that calls his suitability to hold public office into question.....YMMV
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 03:06 AM   #301
Arcade22
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
IMO no, that's the message you have chosen to take away from the article in order to support your own views.
I'm talking about the article up on their front page right now: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...efend-himself/

Quote:
My take-away is from the article was that Moore has a long history of being sexually attracted to teenage girls, that on at least one occasion he has committed sexual assault and that on many occasions he abused his position of authority and trust to establish relations with teenage girls.
The article doesn't say anything at all about that. It only vaguely mentions that he "initiated a sexual encounter" with the 14 year old. If anything they are minimizing the seriousness of the allegations against him.

I'll also note that a BBC news article more or less did the opposite of the Washington Post and emphasized that he was accused of sexually assaulting a 14 year old girl while only briefly mentioning that three women said he dated them when they were teens.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41945199

It's strange that the BBC can report on this without focusing on him dating teenagers as opposed to sexually abusing a 14.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 04:23 AM   #302
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Lordy!

You want a 70 something year old man to remember perfectly well asking out two girls over 40 years ago? Iíd hardly say he was dating someone he allegedly talk to on the phone three times or talked to at an ice cream shop or supposedly bought drinks for at a restaurant in a dry county.
I can remember who I dated forty years ago, and I have absolutely no doubt that he can, too.

But if he's not so clear on the subject, there are plenty of people who knew him and can refresh his memory for him. They remember him.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 04:29 AM   #303
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

It’s because you’re ignorant of the way things were done back then and still done in many Christian circles. Asking the parents permission is a sign of respect for her parents and her.

That's only half true, logger, and it misses his point. Yes, asking her parents' permission would have been part of the dating process for many people, but only when dating a young girl, still living at home with her parents. That's the point. His memory of asking parents' permission at that time is corroboration that he was going on dates with teenagers.

ETA: And moreover, it's corroboration that he remembers going on dates with teenagers.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 13th November 2017 at 05:05 AM.
Old 13th November 2017, 04:42 AM   #304
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Edited to delete

Last edited by Oystein; 13th November 2017 at 04:46 AM.
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 04:49 AM   #305
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
Yep, those liberals like Governor Mark Sanford, Senator John Ensign, Representative Vito Fosarella, Newt Gingrich, Senator Larry Craig, and a few others...http://www.newnownext.com/19-republi...ndals/12/2016/

Hmmmmmm.....
You left out Hastert. But I guess being molested by your coach is just a fundamental part of high school sports in red states.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 05:01 AM   #306
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

He was just following conservative superstar Phil Robertson's advice.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 05:04 AM   #307
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

At least he has become the perfect Alabama candidate. Well almost, it would be better if she was his cousin.
Old 13th November 2017, 05:15 AM   #308
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

They've been saying Papadapolous was a child in his 30's for the last few weeks, maybe Republicans think the category for children is 14-35 and therefore, it is okay.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 05:21 AM   #309
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

That's only half true, logger, and it misses his point. Yes, asking her parents' permission would have been part of the dating process for many people, but only when dating a young girl, still living at home with her parents. That's the point. His memory of asking parents' permission at that time is corroboration that he was going on dates with teenagers.

ETA: And moreover, it's corroboration that he remembers going on dates with teenagers.
Good point. 'I didn't do it but if I did it was with permission'
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 05:28 AM   #310
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Once again, the facts be damned, on a skeptics forum!
A quote for the ages.
Old 13th November 2017, 06:03 AM   #311
Bluegill
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post

Context is important. A silly analogy:
I sometimes buy eggs and flour - and I cook with them, which is unsurprising.

If I had had a history of vandalising property and throwing eggs at people's houses, then it seeing me buy four dozen eggs would be suspicious.
I'd say you have an unhealthy interest in picking up lots of underage chicks.
Bluegill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 06:09 AM   #312
phiwum
Philosopher

Lol
Of course Iím not talked no about these allegations, Iíve made quite clear I donít believe them. So repentance isnít necessary for something that wasnít done.
Here's what you said.

Its fascinating to me how non believers think Christians are supposed to be perfect. Did any of you ever think that people with a past, some with very bad pasts have had their lives renewed through faith in Christ, Moore is no different. That is why normal God loving people understand him.
So what bad past does Moore have that is relevant here, if not the accusations of sexual misconduct? Your post is utterly opaque to me.
phiwum is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 06:12 AM   #313
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Itís because youíre ignorant of the way things were done back then and still done in many Christian circles. Asking the parents permission is a sign of respect for her parents and her.
Is the mom more likely to approve if you offer to help her daughter with her pre-algebra homework?
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 06:19 AM   #314
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
They've been saying Papadapolous was a child in his 30's for the last few weeks, maybe Republicans think the category for children is 14-35 40 and therefore, it is okay.
FTFY. They've also been calling Don Jr. a child.

Last edited by Stacko; 13th November 2017 at 06:23 AM.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 06:33 AM   #315
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

They're not Bannon conservatives. They're Mercer conservatives; Bannon is their media mouth piece.
His mouth apparently looks "purty" to them so they react to that!!

Wash this space!

Old 13th November 2017, 06:37 AM   #316
logger
Philosopher

I can remember who I dated forty years ago, and I have absolutely no doubt that he can, too.

But if he's not so clear on the subject, there are plenty of people who knew him and can refresh his memory for him. They remember him.
Dating? I wouldnít call him asking someone out dating, oh but the accuser would call it dating, yes thatís it.
Old 13th November 2017, 06:40 AM   #317
logger
Philosopher

Lol

No youíre wrong again. I know plenty of older Christians asking the parents for their brides hand in marriage. Once again itís still common practice for civilised normal people. Itís a sign of respect. Also once again I wouldnít call asking a person out dating.
Old 13th November 2017, 06:41 AM   #318
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Is the mom more likely to approve if you offer to help her daughter with her pre-algebra homework?
Have no idea, you?
Old 13th November 2017, 06:43 AM   #319
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
After they forgave Trump for his pussy grabbing comments i think the people of Alabama would be perfectly fine with this.
Lot of kiddy diddlers in that old time religion!!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 13th November 2017, 06:57 AM   #320
Arcade22
Illuminator

Lol

No youíre wrong again. I know plenty of older Christians asking the parents for their brides hand in marriage. Once again itís still common practice for civilised normal people.
Maybe sharia law would fit right in Alabama after all...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics