ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st November 2017, 03:37 PM   #201
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
I wondered about that myself. What did those dogs eat all that time?
Dog food was another resources that just magically ran out right before they were rescued.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8273bec0e0ba

This article also says the women claimed to have run into a "White Squall" leaving only a Kraken and the Lost Continent of Atlantis on the "Seagoing Fantasy Bingo Card."

Originally Posted by TellyKNeasuss View Post
Does anyone buy their reasoning for not using their EPIRB?
In the broadest terms I don't buy this perfect ratio of good luck/bad luck, skill/unskill, over-prepared/under-prepared, good decision/bad decision that their story requires.

Unless they found a leprechaun and insulted an old gypsy woman on the same day, nobody has this much polar opposite luck.

"Hating a bad thing does not make you good." - David Wong

Last edited by JoeBentley; 1st November 2017 at 03:54 PM.
JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 03:43 PM   #202
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Varanid View Post
.......tiger sharks don't reach 30 feet .......
One of these attacks was at night. How did they identify the shark/s in the dark, let alone have any idea of the length of the creature/s?

Could someone mistake a tiger shark for a great white? I mean, someone with little experience of either.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 03:46 PM   #203
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Varanid View Post
As you said, tiger sharks don't reach 30 feet (few great whites even reach that length), and they don't go around slapping boats with their tails.
I think the largest confirmed great white shark was around 20 feet. For tiger it may be 18 feet or less. I think 16 feet is confirmed.

But when your boat is 50 feet you can roughly use it to measure sharks or whales which are close. It's possible that they even encountered enormous whale sharks with Appel telling Fuiaba that those are killer tigers.
Old 1st November 2017, 03:48 PM   #204
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
I wondered about that myself. What did those dogs eat all that time?
Peanut butter.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 03:52 PM   #205
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
This article also says the women claimed to have run into a "White Squall" leaving only a Kraken and the Lost Continent of Atlantis on the "Seagoing Fantasy Bingo Card."
My bingo card also contains the "Flying Dutchman".

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 03:55 PM   #206
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Could someone mistake a tiger shark for a great white? I mean, someone with little experience of either.
An inexperienced person might misidentify almost any larger shark for a great white or a tiger. If you don't know then you don't know.

But Appel seems to have a greater problem than simple mis-ID. She appears to actually be telling lies about what the sharks were doing. I suspect she was trying to maximize the drama and occasional great fears that Fuiaba would have. A freaking soap opera at sea.
Old 1st November 2017, 04:00 PM   #207
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
My bingo card also contains the "Flying Dutchman".
Their boat is the Dutchman of the tale.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 04:22 PM   #208
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Their story is changing with each day. Now Appel says she didn't use the beacon because those only work when there are planes overhead and they weren't under any flight path. Also looks like her mom might be telling lies too.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/1...anging-stories
Old 1st November 2017, 04:33 PM   #209
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Hawaii News Now
Their account of receiving a tow from a Taiwanese fishing vessel changed as well. They originally said the crew was kind, but later said they were worried for their safety and thought that the crew might be making an attempt to harm them.

They added that the fishing boat had backed into their sailboat, causing significant damage.

"I also believe that they knew they were damaging the boat. And if we couldn't get additional help, that boat would sink, and they would get ... two girls to do whatever they wanted to," Appel said...

http://m.hawaiinewsnow.com/hawaiinew...ntent/oGra7uXu
Old 1st November 2017, 04:34 PM   #210
Varanid
Master Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I've changed my mind about this whole thing. I don't think that their boat was storm-damaged and could not be navigated. I think that Jennifer Appel planned a stranding situation of her own doing (a sabotage of sorts) and didn't tell her partner Tasha Fuiaba that she was doing it. It was Fuiaba's very first time on a sailboat so she knows nothing about anything including riggings, sails, motors, communication devices, how to sail, etc.

I think Appel really wanted to be out there drifting for even longer. She would watch the food and water supply and enact the beacon with a few days supply left. For the entire trip she would be telling lies and giving misdirection to Fuiaba.
This is surprisingly persuasive.
Old 1st November 2017, 04:44 PM   #211
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I'm utterly unconvinced that even if this is a fake, that we have the motive yet. I don't understand the idea that it was as a result of love. I can't see what one hoped to get by duping the other. I can understand collusion to get a bit of money from the press, or maybe to get the insurance money, but I think we need more before ascribing a motive.
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 05:00 PM   #212
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Their boat is the Dutchman of the tale.
Well, now it is.

BTW, I think William Parcher's speculation is quite persuasive, though of course we don't know if it's true. Not until Fuiava writes her second book about their dramatic break-up.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

Last edited by ddt; 1st November 2017 at 05:04 PM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 05:03 PM   #213
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Their story is changing with each day. Now Appel says she didn't use the beacon because those only work when there are planes overhead and they weren't under any flight path. Also looks like her mom might be telling lies too.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/1...anging-stories
Why does her mom claim to have called the Coast Guard 10 days after their departure, when they were scheduled to arrive in Tahiti in 18 days? That doesn't make sense.

Old 1st November 2017, 05:13 PM   #214
Noztradamus
Illuminator

OK, I'll get back to trying to envision how much space a year's supply of food for 2 people would take compared to the size of the cabin on their boat.
Half a ton of flour, Half a ton of meat, two hundredweight of sugar, 25 lbs of tea (Based on the needs of 19th century Australian stockmen)
Old 1st November 2017, 05:18 PM   #215
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

A one year supply of Nutristore freeze dried food (1,200 calories a day for 365 days) for just one person at Costco (a popular American membership club big box store)... looks like this:

JoeBentley is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 05:28 PM   #216
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm beginning to get a very "balloon-boy" vibe about this.
Old 1st November 2017, 05:30 PM   #217
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I'm utterly unconvinced that even if this is a fake, that we have the motive yet. I don't understand the idea that it was as a result of love. I can't see what one hoped to get by duping the other.
You are leaving out the other important part of my theory... crazy in the head. Some form of mental illness or personality disorder. Appel is insane and so she plans this thing as a way of being forever locked to Fuiaba. We survived disaster and death together and now we are soul mates for eternity. If anyone wants to purchase our story that will just be gravy for us.

Quote:
I can understand collusion to get a bit of money from the press, or maybe to get the insurance money, but I think we need more before ascribing a motive.
Well that would be a motive if that's the explanation. A cash grab which would be a form of fraud. There is crazy behind that too. It's organized fraud with an accomplice - maybe even more if you give any hints to certain friends or relatives.
Old 1st November 2017, 05:41 PM   #218
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Why does her mom claim to have called the Coast Guard 10 days after their departure, when they were scheduled to arrive in Tahiti in 18 days? That doesn't make sense.
No sense at all. Maybe mom is a liar and is trying to somehow cover for her daughter's lies. It must be terrible for all of them because the press and experts are now tearing them apart. None of them would have wanted this public character assassination - but the fact is that Appel is telling lies and it looks like others around her are too.

The Coast Guard says the mom never called. She doesn't have a travel itinerary either even though her daughter said she did. The CG takes real calls about missing-at-sea very seriously.

I don't know if we will see a fraud investigation but I think there might be justification for it.
Old 1st November 2017, 05:42 PM   #219
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm beginning to get a very "balloon-boy" vibe about this.
Right, and planned by an insane man (the father).
Old 1st November 2017, 05:52 PM   #220
DragonLady
Illuminator

Quote:
Appel is insane and so she plans this thing as a way of being forever locked to Fuiaba.
Yeah; I've known people with that kind of crazy. I don't think it's too farfetched at all.

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st November 2017, 06:45 PM   #221
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by NPR
The AP reports that Appel said she had modified the boat with 6 tons of fiberglass to make the hull stronger and had extended its keel to add stability.

"It's relief and elation and joy. And utter sadness," added Fuiava. "Because that was our life, that was our home. [Appel] built that for the last two and a half years. ... She took something that was broken and made it whole. It saved our lives multiple times throughout this whole entire trip."
Other stuff in this article. Thought they were going to be killed or die on the Taiwanese boat, or something like that.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...-gets-stranger
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:37 AM   #222
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

You are leaving out the other important part of my theory... crazy in the head. Some form of mental illness or personality disorder. ..........
Again, something you have little evidence for. Setting off on a sea voyage such as this isn't a sign of mental illness. Nor is lying, or embellishing stories. Not hitting the button on your EPIRB could be indicative of stupidity and poor judgement, rather than mental illness.

You may well turn out to be right in due course, WP, but at the moment you don't have anything much to go and, and your speculation is just that.
Old 2nd November 2017, 12:49 AM   #223
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

.......OK, I'll get back to trying to envision how much space a year's supply of food for 2 people would take compared to the size of the cabin on their boat.
Seriously? For a start, their cabin will be small, and it's a big boat. That leaves lots and lots of other space.....possibly other cabins, but mainly lockers, plus lots and lots of nooks and crannies. Robin Knoz Johnson sailed his 32 foot ketch (remember, this one we're talking about is 50 foot) single handedly non-stop around the globe, taking 313 days. Presumably he had food for at least a few more days. If a 32 footer has room for 11 months food for 1 person, it's obvious that a 50 footer has room for twice that.
Old 2nd November 2017, 06:01 AM   #224
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Not hitting the button on your EPIRB could be indicative of stupidity and poor judgement, rather than mental illness...

...you don't have anything much to go and, and your speculation is just that.
Are you speculating that not activating the beacon could be a sign of stupidity and poor judgment? They had food and water and good weather. The women and their dogs appeared to be quite healthy and didn't even look dirty or unkempt. Why is not summoning an immediate rescue a sign of stupidity or a bad idea?
Old 2nd November 2017, 06:11 AM   #225
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
That explains why they were so playful.
Not Mega Bloks. Megalodon.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2017, 07:27 AM   #226
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Are you speculating that not activating the beacon could be a sign of stupidity and poor judgment? They had food and water and good weather. The women and their dogs appeared to be quite healthy and didn't even look dirty or unkempt. Why is not summoning an immediate rescue a sign of stupidity or a bad idea?
I understand what you're doing here, but I'll play anyway. It is stupidity not to seek help if you are 24 hours from death, as they claimed. Otherwise, the stupidity is in lying so obviously. It is also stupidity to seek rescue by sending out mayday messages daily by radio, but not activate the EPIRB unit. You either seek rescue, or you don't. If none of that is stupidity at work, then it may be calculation. If that calculation involved more than one person, it may be considered conspiracy.

None of the above is necessarily a sign of mental health problems.
Old 2nd November 2017, 07:29 AM   #227
Argumemnon
World Maker

None of the above is necessarily a sign of mental health problems.
Or love! You forgot love!

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2017, 07:32 AM   #228
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So I'm confused. Are we allowed to think the story is suspect?

Old 2nd November 2017, 07:33 AM   #229
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Not Mega Bloks. Megalodon.

"juvenile Megalodon".
Old 2nd November 2017, 07:37 AM   #230
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

There seems to be some disagreement on that topic.

I'm 98% sure we might ... or might not be.

Maybe.
Old 2nd November 2017, 07:44 AM   #231
Argumemnon
World Maker

"juvenile Megalodon".
Silly Quad. Juvenile sharks don't play with Mega Bloks!

Old 2nd November 2017, 08:05 AM   #232
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Oh. They're more the Legos type, then?
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:05 AM   #233
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
I'm content to wait for the experts to give us their opinion of the case ...
There's an amusing thread over at Sailing Anarchy. This blogpost by someone claiming to have sailed the oceans is also interesting in listing all the problems with their story.

One thing not mentioned in that blogpost: how much sun lotion did they have on board? Not only do they look healthy when rescued, they also don't look weathered for one bit. What they did do all those five months is still a mystery. And contrary to their claims, there was also a call from a ship named Sea Nymph near Tahiti, saying they'd check into port the next day, and that everything was fine, around the time of their schedule.

This wasn't Appel's first misadventure at sea: two years ago, she wrecked another boat. She seems to be a jack of all trades, master at none: she studied landscape architecture, then moved into "landscape vitamins", something like organic farming but then different, and registered with the Hawaii Film Actors (check out the pics at your own peril).

Old 2nd November 2017, 08:06 AM   #234
ddt
Mafia Penguin

I think we're allowed to say there are so big holes in the story that you can drive the Seventh Fleet through it.

Old 2nd November 2017, 08:11 AM   #235
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Which is why they were playing with the boat instead.

There. Mystery solved.

Thank you for your assistance.
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:14 AM   #236
JoeBentley
Self Employed
Remittance Man

and registered with the Hawaii Film Actors (check out the pics at your own peril).
Jesus feathered haired Christ that website looks like an emo 12 year old girl's MySpace page from 1999 made a baby with the Timecube website and that baby threw up on a Geocities page.

Old 2nd November 2017, 08:17 AM   #237
Argumemnon
World Maker

Which is why they were playing with the boat instead.

There. Mystery solved.

Thank you for your assistance.
How certain are you of this sheer speculation? 98%, I gather?

Old 2nd November 2017, 08:19 AM   #238
Argumemnon
World Maker

Jesus feathered haired Christ that website looks like an emo 12 year old girl's MySpace page from 1999 made a baby with the Timecube website and that baby threw up on a Geocities page.
ARGH! That hurt more than that spacetime curvature incident a few hours ago!

Old 2nd November 2017, 08:22 AM   #239
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

So, just to make sure I understand (because of the lack of clarity there), are you saying it's poorly designed?
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2017, 08:52 AM   #240
Mark F
Graduate Poster

I think we're allowed to say there are so big holes in the story that you can drive the Seventh Fleet through it.
I think that is a very reasonable and well supported statement.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events