ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th November 2017, 10:34 PM   #1
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Rand Paul Attacked

http://www.businessinsider.com/myste...ighbor-2017-11

This is certainly an odd one. Supposedly, it wasn't politically motivated? Hmmm...

(The alleged attacker has a sort of Putin thing going on, anyone else see it?)

Follow Up:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.f66bdc37e60d

Last edited by isissxn; 9th November 2017 at 10:35 PM.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 10:41 PM   #2
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Six broken ribs? Not political? I say someone was banging someone's wife.

Other bits of wild speculation are welcome.
Old 9th November 2017, 10:55 PM   #3
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

It's a neighbor, everyone (including people in areas where neighbors are separated by miles) has at least one crazy neighbor with the potential to get violent over the dumbest little thing, and that should be pretty much the end of any interest. Unless Paul threatened or attacked the neighbor first, is there really any explanation that would make sense?
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 12:48 AM   #4
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Travis View Post

You guys have apparently never had a creepy-neighbor dispute. They are more common than they should be. Feuds over blowing your leaves onto their side of the line can last decades. Watch a few episodes of Cops, it's very enlightening.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 02:46 AM   #5
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

I find it interesting that Paul is keeping so silent on it though. If it really was just leaves you'd think he'd already have talked about it in a press conference. That makes me think it is actually over something he doesn't want to get out.
Old 10th November 2017, 02:55 AM   #6
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

He's a libertarian, so shouldn't he prefer this way of settling a dispute to calling the Statist cops?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 03:43 AM   #7
JPK
Graduate Poster

Good morning. I've read that the neighbor tackled Paul from behind while Paul was riding his lawn mower. Maybe Paul was cutting his grass at 3:00am or something?
I've also heard that they had a long standing dispute where they neighbor claims that Paul's yard is a total mess and it's been making it hard for this guy to sell his own house.
John Kardel
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 04:57 AM   #8
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You guys have apparently never had a creepy-neighbor dispute. They are more common than they should be. Feuds over blowing your leaves onto their side of the line can last decades. Watch a few episodes of Cops, it's very enlightening.

Well, duh! You should be using a broom and picking up the leaves not blowing them over to the neighbors side of the street.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 05:43 AM   #9
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
He's a libertarian, so shouldn't he prefer this way of settling a dispute to calling the Statist cops?
As a libertarian, his refusal to respect his neighbor's property rights when he blew leaves on his lawn is off brand.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 05:45 AM   #10
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 11:56 AM   #11
sir drinks-a-lot
Master Poster

I'm with Travis on this one.
Old 10th November 2017, 12:06 PM   #12
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

This is a strange one.

Usually when a politician is injured by another person by whatever mechanism it quickly becomes part of their portfolio and it gets wrung for every advantage - Paul is playing it quiet - and it sometimes becomes some sort of plank in the politicians's political agenda - no signs yet.

Either Paul is a hell of a lot more grounded than I have given him credit for, or there is a bigger story here than is being acknowledged.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 12:11 PM   #13
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JPK View Post
I've also heard that they had a long standing dispute where they neighbor claims that Paul's yard is a total mess and it's been making it hard for this guy to sell his own house.
Surely that would mean that the last thing he'd do is attack Paul when he finally got around to yardwork?
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 08:13 PM   #14
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by JPK View Post
Good morning. I've read that the neighbor tackled Paul from behind while Paul was riding his lawn mower. Maybe Paul was cutting his grass at 3:00am or something?
That is not an excuse whether true or not. Unless local zoning laws make it illegal his yard can be as messy as he wishes it to be!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2017, 10:21 PM   #15
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
I'm with Travis on this one.
Nah, I say crazy neighbor. I don't think Paul did anything like cheat on a spouse.

What is fourth degree assault? Breaking six ribs and other injuries isn't first or even third?

Quote:
Boucher appeared in court Thursday and entered a plea of not guilty to a misdemeanor charge that could land him in jail for a year.
Paul has an attorney so maybe he's not an idiot like a lot of people and is keeping his mouth shut. Funny how keeping quiet is practically an admission of guilt here
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 10:13 AM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
That is not an excuse whether true or not. Unless local zoning laws make it illegal his yard can be as messy as he wishes it to be!!!!
It's a fancy gated community and they are both doctors. There may be covenants in the deed regarding appearance of yards. That said, I'm guessing Paul's yard was not such a mess. Perhaps the other guy didn't think he mowed it often enough due to being away in Washington. Or maybe Paul's mower was spraying clippings on the other guy's yard. Apparently there had been a bit of a long-standing dispute.
Old 12th November 2017, 07:36 AM   #17
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
As a libertarian, his refusal to respect his neighbor's property rights when he blew leaves on his lawn is off brand.
His political philosophy is "**** you, I got mine". I fail to see how it would be off brand.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 07:47 AM   #18
Varanid
Master Poster

I agree it is strange. Particularly the fact that Paul is keeping so quiet about it. There was a quote in an article I read from one of his people that basically said he was embarrassed by the encounter.

Even if true, you'd have expected him to give a press conference while taking a light-hearted, self-defaming stance to try to diffuse the thing and put it to bed. But, the normally camera-loving Paul hasn't been seen since the encounter. I know he's hurt, but it's broken ribs, not a perforated colon. He could surely answer a few questions.

There's more to this than we know yet.
Old 12th November 2017, 08:14 AM   #19
autumn1971
Master Poster

I think the likely explanation is that Rand Paul is an insufferable asshat.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 08:54 AM   #20
TheSupermeerkat
Scholar

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
I think the likely explanation is that Rand Paul is an insufferable asshat.

Were I his neighbour, I must admit Id be looking for an excuse to twat him.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 09:40 AM   #21
sackett
Philosopher

5'll get you 10 that RP swung first, got his wee clock cleaned, and is too embarassed to want the truth to come out.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 11:18 AM   #22
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Varanid View Post
I agree it is strange. Particularly the fact that Paul is keeping so quiet about it. There was a quote in an article I read from one of his people that basically said he was embarrassed by the encounter.

Even if true, you'd have expected him to give a press conference while taking a light-hearted, self-defaming stance to try to diffuse the thing and put it to bed. But, the normally camera-loving Paul hasn't been seen since the encounter. I know he's hurt, but it's broken ribs, not a perforated colon. He could surely answer a few questions.

There's more to this than we know yet.
Paul being quiet about it isn't strange, it's smart. He's letting the legal process work. Holding press conferences would be stupid; and possibly let the assailant off the hook.
Old 12th November 2017, 03:16 PM   #23
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Paul being quiet about it isn't strange, it's smart. He's letting the legal process work. Holding press conferences would be stupid; and possibly let the assailant off the hook.
Of course.

I just wanna know what the hell the neighbor did to break ribs like that.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 03:48 PM   #24
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Of course.

I just wanna know what the hell the neighbor did to break ribs like that.
Tackled him off a lawn tractor and landed on him.
Old 13th November 2017, 06:03 AM   #25
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Travis View Post

Seems to be a long running dispute over proper gardening. Though Paul is certainly making nods at trying to present it as politically motivated by linking to Breitbart articles saying such.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...g-related.html
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 11:02 AM   #26
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I believe the center house here may be Senator Paul's. Don't know which neighbor.
Old 13th November 2017, 12:19 PM   #27
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

Tackled him off a lawn tractor and landed on him.
Or Paul tried to pummel the steering wheel with his chest.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 12:24 PM   #28
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

I believe the center house here may be Senator Paul's. Don't know which neighbor.

Looks McMansionesque. What's the light colored material on the driveway? No fences between the properties that's where it all went wrong.
Old 13th November 2017, 08:19 PM   #29
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

The Senator is returning to work although he is apparently still in a good deal of pain, and still reluctant to shed any light on what it was all about:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ra...rticle/2640560

Quote:
The two-term senator said that he hasn’t talked to Boucher in a decade. “My first encounter was basically being hit in the back,” he said. “We’ve never had words over anything, we’ve never had a dispute or discussion or words,” added Paul, who was at the Republicans' Congressional Baseball Game practice when members under fire by a gunman angry at the GOP.

Paul said in this case, “there is going to be a criminal prosecution,” and felt limited in what he could or wanted to say about the case.
Old 13th November 2017, 08:21 PM   #30
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Rand probably picked a fight, and got one.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 09:44 PM   #31
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
What makes you think that?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 09:47 PM   #32
logger
Philosopher

It’s totally obvious why he did it, he’s a leftist, this is what they do.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 09:58 PM   #33
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Evidence?
Old 13th November 2017, 10:30 PM   #34
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
What makes you think that?
Because he's a smug alpha hotel.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 11:47 PM   #35
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

All of the reports I've seen say that the senator was attacked unprovoked. So no, there doesn't seem to be any evidence that he "picked a fight" other than your wishing it to be true. He was on his own property mowing his lawn.
Old 13th November 2017, 11:53 PM   #36
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

CNN has a video with an aerial view of both houses:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/06/po...ney/index.html

Paul's house might be across the street from there, but I'm not 100% sure.

Last edited by Puppycow; 13th November 2017 at 11:54 PM.
Puppycow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 12:08 AM   #37
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

That ought to be good enough for anyone!

I hope the neighbor sues Rand Paul for false arrest and calls you as an expert witness. Don't go acting like a smug alpha hotel on the witness stand.
Old 14th November 2017, 12:21 AM   #38
Mumbles
Illuminator

Well yeah, he's a Senator. He ran for President. That's not a reason for someone to attack him.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 12:35 AM   #39
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
The Senator is returning to work although he is apparently still in a good deal of pain, and still reluctant to shed any light on what it was all about

That seems incredibly odd, unless either he was wrong, or was involved in a childish thing pushing the guy's buttons.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 02:02 AM   #40
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
That seems incredibly odd, unless either he was wrong, or was involved in a childish thing pushing the guy's buttons.
What seems odd? I'm sure both men can afford very good lawyers, and those lawyers are probably telling them to say as little as possible in public and let the lawyers handle it. There will be a criminal case, but probably also a lawsuit, so that's probably why he doesn't want to say too much about it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics