ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th November 2017, 12:04 PM   #1
crescent
Graduate Poster

Amazon Is Making a Lord of the Rings Prequel Series

Quote:
Amazon announced today that it is making a Lord of the Rings TV series. Although the company’s own press release says the series will “adapt” J.R.R. Tolkien’s novels, that turns out not to be quite the case. Rather, the series, for which Amazon has acquired a “multi-season” commitment from the Tolkien estate and HarperCollins, “will explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring”—and presumably not the same storylines preceding The Fellowship of the Ring that have already been explored in The Hobbit.
Simarillion? As a whole, I don't think it could be a comprehensible series, but portions of it (Beren and Luthien, for example) could make for a nice discrete storyline.

Or, will we just end up with more mindless CGI epic battles with no meaningful character development or plot to connect them?
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 12:38 PM   #2
dann
Illuminator

I would love to watch a screen adaptation of Farmer Giles of Ham with its parody of many of the basic elements of The Lord of the Rings: the noble, unselfish heroes and rulers of Middle Earth.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 01:22 PM   #3
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

A Shadow of Mordor adaptation would be boss.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2017, 07:09 PM   #4
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Cirith Ungol Greens

The lot of the ordinary working-orc is hard enough. But when you're posted in the least-visited corner of Mordor, stuck in an ancient crumbling tower with commanders who feud over spoils, the perpetual threat of marauding elf-warriors, frequent unwelcome visits from Herself, and monthly performance reviews by the Great Eye, life can get literally impossible in this madcap workplace comedy/drama featuring an ever-changing cast.
Old 13th November 2017, 11:20 PM   #5
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Breaking Bard...

Better Call Sauron...

?
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 12:53 AM   #6
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It won't be The Silmarillion. At best, it might adapt certain individual tales from it (Turin Turambar springs to mind) but it certainly won't be the whole thing.

I think it's more likely that it'll be generic fantasy stories set in Middle Earth. And while I think we do need more decently-made fantasy on our screens (most of what's available now is absolutely terrible), I am not certain that this is the way to do it.
Old 14th November 2017, 12:59 AM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Episode 1:

Join us as we watch cute little hobbits having a party. Laugh at how down-to-earth they are.

Episode 2: Watch as the band of misfits travel to wherever it is they are meant to be traveling to.

Episode 3: Watch as the band of misfits travel to wherever it is they are meant to be traveling to.

Episode 4: Watch as the band of misfits travel to wherever it is they are meant to be traveling to.

Episode 5: Watch as the band of misfits travel to wherever it is they are meant to be traveling to.

Episode 6: Watch as the band of misfits travel to wherever it is they are meant to be traveling to.

Episode 7: Watch as the band of misfits travel to wherever it is they are meant to be traveling to.

.....snip....

Episode 24: Watch as the band of misfits find out they've been going in the wrong direction for the last 22 episodes.

Season 2:

Episode 1: Watch as the band of misfits retrace their footsteps...........
Old 14th November 2017, 01:23 AM   #8
Syameese
Critical Thinker

I am really fascinated by this news as I am sure Christopher Tolkien is still a major influence in TE. Unless at the age of 92 he has been pushed aside, I am simply amazed that the TE has sold the rights to works not previously released, if this is what has actually occurred.

I await more details eagerly
Syameese is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 01:59 AM   #9
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

I hope Peter Jackson is not involved in any way, shape or form.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 02:28 AM   #10
erwinl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Episode 1:

Join us as we watch cute little hobbits having a party. Laugh at how down-to-earth they are.

Episode 2: Watch as the band of misfits travel to wherever it is they are meant to be traveling to.

Episode 3: Watch as the band of misfits travel to wherever it is they are meant to be traveling to.

Episode 4: Watch as the band of misfits travel to wherever it is they are meant to be traveling to.

Episode 5: Watch as the band of misfits travel to wherever it is they are meant to be traveling to.

Episode 6: Watch as the band of misfits travel to wherever it is they are meant to be traveling to.

Episode 7: Watch as the band of misfits travel to wherever it is they are meant to be traveling to.

.....snip....

Episode 24: Watch as the band of misfits find out they've been going in the wrong direction for the last 22 episodes.

Season 2:

every episode with a new monster to defeat or new people to meet!

Neither of which will ever reappear in following episodes!
(or am I channeling the 70's and 80's a bit too much now?)

You will be amazed by the world they travel through. You will laugh at their antics. You will cry! You will sing! You will dance!

(Lord of the Rings, the Bollywood version)
Old 14th November 2017, 02:37 AM   #11
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post

Simarillion? As a whole, I don't think it could be a comprehensible series, but portions of it (Beren and Luthien, for example) could make for a nice discrete storyline.

Or, will we just end up with more mindless CGI epic battles with no meaningful character development or plot to connect them?
Just like the Hobbit movies and the LOTR films then?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 02:43 AM   #12
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I am guessing generic fantasy set in the Second Age or Third Age up to the fall of Angmar.
Or maybe even the Second Age.

Lots of big blank spaces to fill in.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 02:45 AM   #13
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
..snip...

Depends - if they keep to the "spirit" of the books you can again expect no meaningful character development or plot* so we might as well have some CGI to look at. Hopefully they'll ignore the "spirit" of the books and actually create interesting stories with interesting characters.

*Not quite a criticism given what Tolkien claimed he was trying to do with the books.
Old 14th November 2017, 02:51 AM   #14
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
I hope Peter Jackson is not involved in any way, shape or form.
I hope they hire the entire cast and crew of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, and Xena: Warrior Princess. And have the same production budget...

Ted Raimi as Young Gollum!
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 03:13 AM   #15
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I am hoping for 'Hawk the Slayer' quality
Old 14th November 2017, 04:04 AM   #16
Tomtomkent
Philosopher

"We don't have the rights to Aarogon or Legolas, so good news! More Tom Bombadil!"

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 04:25 AM   #17
Parsman
Critical Thinker

Would be interesting to see the Fall of Numenor, and I am sure more than a few people would read into it about current political events...

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 04:30 AM   #18
erwinl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Tomtomkent View Post
"We don't have the rights to Aarogon or Legolas, so good news! More Tom Bombadil!"
Noooo!!!

Lord of the Rings - The Snooze Fest.
Old 14th November 2017, 04:39 AM   #19
P.J. Denyer
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Tomtomkent View Post
I always imagined Iggy Pop as Tom Bombardier, of course these days he could deprive Andy Serkis and Industrial Light and Magic of their livelihoods instead.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 04:46 AM   #20
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
Would be interesting to see the Fall of Numenor, and I am sure more than a few people would read into it about current political events...
Or the decline of Gondor.
Old 14th November 2017, 04:48 AM   #21
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I always imagined Iggy Pop as Tom Bombardier, of course these days he could deprive Andy Serkis and Industrial Light and Magic of their livelihoods instead.
Tom Bombarier, Dark Lord of Canadian airliners. He must opposed by the forces of Boeing.
Old 14th November 2017, 05:12 AM   #22
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Episode 1:

.....snip....

Season 2:

So they're going to base it on Star Trek: Voyager?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 05:41 AM   #23
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Hobbit Babies.
Old 14th November 2017, 05:52 AM   #24
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Expect it to be a 'Game of Thrones' knock of where the plot is concerned.
Old 14th November 2017, 05:52 AM   #25
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

If it has balrogs I'll watch it.
Old 14th November 2017, 06:00 AM   #26
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
If it has balrogs I'll watch it.
Even if they ['ve got / haven't got] wings, according to which side you're on?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 06:06 AM   #27
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post

Dave
We will find out that only the females have wings.
Old 14th November 2017, 06:09 AM   #28
Tomtomkent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post

Dave
Some do. Some don’t. Like ants. Giant, demonic ants.

Never look up an E-book because this signature line told you. Especially not Dead Lament (ASIN: B00JEN1MWY). Or A Little Trouble (ASIN: B00GQFZZQW).
Tomtomkent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 06:26 AM   #29
Dave Rogers

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
We will find out that only the females have wings.
If they based it on that, it might well be worth watching.

Dave

Old 14th November 2017, 06:31 AM   #30
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

How about hot dwarf sex? Try to tell the males from the females!

Lets face it, we didn’t get much lovin’ in Tolkien.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 06:48 AM   #31
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

The tales of glory, gore and grift of a mischievous band of traveling orcs and hobbits as they travel Middle Earth performing and robbing wherever they travel as The Mobile Silly McCarrilons!!!! Watch the show........... and your pockets!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 07:03 AM   #32
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
How about hot dwarf sex? Try to tell the males from the females!

Lets face it, we didn’t get much lovin’ in Tolkien.
I always worried about Elf sex in those books. What with them being near-immortal why isn't the place crawling with them? Excellent contraception or do they 'just say no' rather a lot? "Not this century, Celeborn. I have a headache"
Old 14th November 2017, 08:28 AM   #33
crescent
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
(Lord of the Rings, the Bollywood version)
I've been watching a bit of Bollywood movies lately (the local Indian grocery store sells them for 50 cents), and listening to Bollywood music, along with Indo-European fusion (Bombay Dub Orchestra). I could totally get into LOTR with a South Asian twist to it.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Just like the Hobbit movies and the LOTR films then?
You caught my criticism of them, especially Hobbit movies. I hope the Hobbit is first up to be remade again. Maybe the third time will be the charm.

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
I hope they hire the entire cast and crew of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, and Xena: Warrior Princess. And have the same production budget...

Ted Raimi as Young Gollum!
I could do without Kevin Sorbo again. He was good (really good) in that role, but is pretty insufferable in real life. Squeeze Lucy Lawless back into that outfit any day, though.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Expect it to be a 'Game of Thrones' knock of where the plot is concerned.
That's a thing - a lot of the current non-broadcast TV shows have a whole lot of sex in them, lots of nudity. They'll have to skip that, LOTR was pretty near celibate.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 12:23 PM   #34
dann
Illuminator

Only pretty near celibate?!

I know that several characters have parents as well as children, but I always assumed that the great eagles brought the babies.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 12:29 PM   #35
crescent
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dann View Post
... I always assumed that the great eagles brought the babies.
That's just a really stupid idea.

Its' the Ents. They have herds of cabbage plants. When one of the great cabbage herds settles down for a few days near your village, you can go in and collect a baby or two.

Then the Ents herd the great cabbage patch on, ever on throughout.....

Okay, the eagles are as good of an idea as any.
Old 14th November 2017, 12:49 PM   #36
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
Breaking Bard...

Better Call Sauron...

?
Nazgul
- The Witch King gives up his lordship of Cirith Ungol and gets an apartment/nightclub in Minas Tirith, teaming up with an oblivious Elf detective to solve crimes in Gondor.

The Shire
- Gritty tales of life in the weed infested holes of Hobbitimore.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 03:00 PM   #37
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Nazgul
- The Witch King gives up his lordship of Cirith Ungol and gets an apartment/nightclub in Minas Tirith, teaming up with an oblivious Elf detective to solve crimes in Gondor.

The Shire
- Gritty tales of life in the weed infested holes of Hobbitimore.
Gondolin's Got Talent
- Hidden Kingdom, hidden talent...

Real Housewives of Rivendell
- Immortal wives, the rivalry never dies...

The Axe Factor
- Dwarves once again rip-off the Elves by stealing their idea for a talent quest...
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 03:09 PM   #38
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Interesting that some people are assuming a priori that the writing is going to be the crappiest it could possibly be. There are lots of good writers working in the industry, but obviously this particular project won't attract any of them and will instead be staffed by the worst kind of hacks.
Old 14th November 2017, 03:16 PM   #39
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Interesting that some people are assuming a priori that the writing is going to be the crappiest it could possibly be. There are lots of good writers working in the industry, but obviously this particular project won't attract any of them and will instead be staffed by the worst kind of hacks.
Seriously, I'd love to see a well made series about the various stories from The Silmarillion etc. There are many ways they could do this and I hope they manage to do it well. I'm reserving judgement until I see it.
Old 14th November 2017, 03:32 PM   #40
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
Seriously, I'd love to see a well made series about the various stories from The Silmarillion etc. There are many ways they could do this and I hope they manage to do it well. I'm reserving judgement until I see it.
Indeed. There are plenty of possible stories - not just from the Silmarillion, but from other lore as well - it would be good to see these done justice.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts