ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , al franken , sex scandals , sexual abuse incidents , sexual harassment charges , sexual harassment issues

Reply
Old 23rd July 2019, 10:57 AM   #2241
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 8,309
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Yeah don't you hate it when women give false testimony. I'm sure Supreme Court Justices do.
Sweet, two sentences strung together. It appears to be a non sequitur but at least it's more than 4 words. That's a start. Now if you could follow it up with some context as to what the hell you're talking about it would be awesome.
__________________
"Circumcision and death threats go together like milk and cookies." - William Parcher

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 01:00 PM   #2242
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing
 
Minoosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11,019
Originally Posted by luchog View Post
Problem is, if they were, why would there be any reason to vote for them over the Republicans? The kind of mindset that thinks exaggerating a minor incident into a huge public outcry just to distract from one's own public peccadilloes in their mad dash for more and greater power is a good thing isn't exactly the sort of person who gives a rat's about universal healthcare or civil rights or balanced budgets.
I'm not really sure this is true. LBJ was a trickster but also championed civil rights. You can be pro-UHC without being particularly compassionate, just because it seems to be rational public policy.

ETA: From Politico's worst political dirty tricks

Yeah it was somewhat heavier on Republicans but certainly not exclusively. And it doesn't have to be the candidates themselves to do it - "operatives" are often involved. Which come to think of it is what Hannity is.

Last edited by Minoosh; 23rd July 2019 at 01:09 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 02:25 PM   #2243
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist
 
luchog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Emerald City
Posts: 16,201
Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I'm not really sure this is true. LBJ was a trickster but also championed civil rights. You can be pro-UHC without being particularly compassionate, just because it seems to be rational public policy.

Johnson was certainly a schemer, but did also appear to be fully committed to the Civil Rights movement, and Great Society programs like public education (which he himself had benefited from).

Quote:
ETA: From Politico's worst political dirty tricks

Yeah it was somewhat heavier on Republicans but certainly not exclusively. And it doesn't have to be the candidates themselves to do it - "operatives" are often involved. Which come to think of it is what Hannity is.

You have to remember that a lot of this is is also pre-Southern Strategy, and the Southern Democrats had not yet defected to the GOP. It's also in the middle of the Red Scare period, and standards were a lot lower, particularly with regard to Johnson's ballot-box stuffing (a common enough practice). Politics in generally were a whole lot dirtier and more opaque in the past. Even so, very little of what the Dems did come up to the level of the GOP's rumour-mongering, Watergate, COINTELPRO, and so on; and the party has evolved considerably since then. There's still rather more of the dirty politics than I would like; but while the Dems are being pressured to take a higher moral road, the GOP under Trump are exuberantly wallowing in the muck, and dragging nearly half the country into it with them.
__________________
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2019, 11:15 PM   #2244
quadraginta
Becoming Beth
 
quadraginta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Central Vale of Humility (USA, sort of)
Posts: 25,393
Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
“Sexual assault is bad.”

So, sometimes, are absolutes.

Is this one of those times?
__________________
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2019, 08:50 PM   #2245
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher
 
Chris_Halkides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,739
Fresh Air, 25 July 2019

NPR's Terry Gross interviewed Jane Mayer, author of the piece in The New Yorker. A portion of Ms. Gross's Fresh Air interview with Al Franken (circa 2004) is played and discussed.
__________________
It is possible both to be right about an issue and to take oneself a little too seriously, but I would rather be reminded of that by a friend than a foe. (a tip of the hat to Foolmewunz)

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 28th July 2019 at 09:00 PM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2019, 10:08 PM   #2246
Cain
Straussian
 
Cain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 13,741
Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
NPR's Terry Gross interviewed Jane Mayer, author of the piece in The New Yorker. A portion of Ms. Gross's Fresh Air interview with Al Franken (circa 2004) is played and discussed.
I listened to this entire interview Thursday night. It seems a lot of Mayer's reporting (I have not read her piece), concerns itself with Tweeden, but Tweeden always had credibility issues. Anyone would be a fool for taking her story at face-value.

The far more credible claims came from Democratic women who reported Franken's grab-ass years earlier to third parties. Mayer argues that Franken's just pointing people toward the light to get a good angle, and that he's a clueless slob, but that stretches credulity.
__________________
April 13th, 2018:
Ranb: I can't think of anything useful you contributed to a thread in the last few years.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2019, 10:35 PM   #2247
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 81,630
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
....

It's contemptible how flexible some people's ethics become when politics are involved. Sexual assault is bad. Full stop. A D or R after the perpetrator's name does not make it excusable.
If you're applying this to me, that's bull ****,
__________________
Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2019, 10:44 PM   #2248
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 81,630
Originally Posted by Giz View Post
That seems incredibly patronizing of him. Surely if one adult makes a false accusation to another adult, it should be challenged?

More evidence that he doesn’t respect women?
Having heard Jane Meyer's examination of what happened, a bunch of knee jerk Democratic legislators jumped the gun and screwed up.

But you wouldn't know that by the slew of right-wing commentaries attacking her, gee what a surprise.


Tell me what did Franken do? Pissed off a right wing actor on an MSO tour. How is that anything like Harvey Weinstein, Judge Moore, Epstein or TRUMP?

And OMG, some people thought he was too handsey when people asked him for selfies.

What else you got?

It's not because he's a Democrat. it's because the #metoo has to have a line somewhere or else it's meaningless.
__________________
Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2019, 10:46 PM   #2249
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 81,630
Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
well, you can't [can] obviously
ftfy
__________________
Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2019, 10:48 PM   #2250
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 81,630
Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
NPR's Terry Gross interviewed Jane Mayer, author of the piece in The New Yorker. A portion of Ms. Gross's Fresh Air interview with Al Franken (circa 2004) is played and discussed.
One of the good guys refuses to call his accusers liars even if they have it wrong. That's what I see.
__________________
Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2019, 05:30 AM   #2251
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 56,020
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
If you're applying this to me, that's bull ****,
An eloquent, well-evidenced argument completely worthy of you!
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2019, 05:50 AM   #2252
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 35,453
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
That's a fine line. The mob isn't always wrong, and all things said and done, they are elected to represent the desires of their constituents. While I agree they should stop, take a breath, and think about everything first, there can be times where listening to the mob is your best move.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
"Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, you’ll be a mile away and have his shoes."
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:52 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.