ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Kim Jong-un , US-North Korea relations

Old 9th May 2018, 12:19 PM   #601
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
North Korea say Trump had nothing to do with the talks between them and the south and he doesn't deserve any credit.

They also said the US was using military threats to intimidate them and derail the peace talks

Can we expect a Tweet?
No, he no tweetie bout that.
Old 9th May 2018, 03:32 PM   #602
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Three hostages coming home, libs pissed.

Look at Trump go!
Iíll definitely give Trump credit for this. Certainly the taking of hostages is bargaining ploy, but they were not taken hostage under his watch. I gave credit to Bill Clinton for getting released the two journalists who worked for Al Gore so I am happy to give Trump credit here. Whatever else will transpire from the talks (and my strong suspicion is that dealing with North Korea is far less likely to end well than the Iran deal heís just torn up) but people are demanding that something concrete comes from these discussions and no one can deny that this counts as something concrete. So well done, Trump!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 04:23 PM   #603
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
You mean look at Kim go. He took the hostages, then used them as bait to finish luring Trump into his trap.

Have you actually not become at all suspicious of Kim's eagerness for this summit? The guy is practically drooling.

Which isn't surprising if you think about it for even a moment. Kim, and nearly every one else on the planet (except the Trump faithful) know exactly how to play Trump - just keep showering him with praise for every aspect of his general Greatness, and charm those Trump panties right off.
If you’d think about this for a moment. Kim knows we now have a president who is quite shrewd in his dealings. Kim knows Trump can do many things that will hurt him and his country, ultimately ending with his death. Trumps people have gone to him and Probably said, comply with what we want and you’ll live out your days in comfort. Remember Kim is western educated, he knows he can live out his days with ease if he just comes into the fold. There is no reason for him to resist, he knows we aren’t interested in taking over his country, probably not even taking his power, just give up your nukes and have peace. Look at all the good things that will come to his country, there is no reason for him to not cooperate.

One off the reasons democrats cannot see how this can work is you’ve never had a democrat president willing to use any leverage he can to get something done, because as I’ve said before democrat men are wimps raised by their mothers.

Last edited by logger; 9th May 2018 at 04:26 PM.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 04:39 PM   #604
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Iíll definitely give Trump credit for this. Certainly the taking of hostages is bargaining ploy, but they were not taken hostage under his watch.
Two of them were taken under Trump's watch. Trump lied about that too.

The "news" sources Trump favors are also very unreliable. As is his press secretary. A good rule of thumb would be to assume they're lying whenever their agendas are served thereby. Which is very often. The truth is not very friendly to their agendas.
Old 9th May 2018, 05:53 PM   #605
Toontown
Philosopher

If you’d think about this for a moment. Kim knows we now have a president who is quite shrewd in his dealings. Kim knows Trump can do many things that will hurt him and his country, ultimately ending with his death. Trumps people have gone to him and Probably said, comply with what we want and you’ll live out your days in comfort. Remember Kim is western educated, he knows he can live out his days with ease if he just comes into the fold. There is no reason for him to resist, he knows we aren’t interested in taking over his country, probably not even taking his power, just give up your nukes and have peace. Look at all the good things that will come to his country, there is no reason for him to not cooperate.

One off the reasons democrats cannot see how this can work is you’ve never had a democrat president willing to use any leverage he can to get something done, because as I’ve said before democrat men are wimps raised by their mothers.

Sure. Maybe Kim is ready to come to Jesus. Stranger things have happened. Rarely.

I wouldn't want to bet on such a risky proposition either way. But if I had to bet on it, I would bet that Kim relishes his outlaw role, as did his father before him. I would bet he plans to keep his nukes and get some booty while defusing Trump by showering him with praise and telling him what he wants to believe.

Rule: Trump always believes what he wants to believe. This is not a controversial observation. It is not possible that Kim is not aware of this obvious Trump flaw.

Putin only had to bat his eyelashes and protest "I didn't do that!" a couple of times, and Trump believed. Why? Because that's what Trump wanted to believe. Needed to believe. So he believed Putin, against all evidence. Just as he believed a million people were at his inauguaration. Just as he believed the rain stopped so he could give his speech.

And he will believe Kim, if Kim plays him right. Play Trump right, and Kim stands to keep his nukes, lose the sanctions, and never have to worry about Trump again.

Last edited by Toontown; 9th May 2018 at 05:57 PM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 06:00 PM   #606
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

What Kim wants more than anything is legitimacy. Trump is giving it to him. Goodbye pariah state, hello world.
Old 9th May 2018, 06:06 PM   #607
Ampulla of Vater
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
North Korea say Trump had nothing to do with the talks between them and the south and he doesn't deserve any credit.

They also said the US was using military threats to intimidate them and derail the peace talks

Can we expect a Tweet?
Suddenly we can believe rocketman et al?
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 07:45 PM   #608
logger
Banned

Sure. Maybe Kim is ready to come to Jesus. Stranger things have happened. Rarely.

I wouldn't want to bet on such a risky proposition either way. But if I had to bet on it, I would bet that Kim relishes his outlaw role, as did his father before him. I would bet he plans to keep his nukes and get some booty while defusing Trump by showering him with praise and telling him what he wants to believe.

Rule: Trump always believes what he wants to believe. This is not a controversial observation. It is not possible that Kim is not aware of this obvious Trump flaw.

Putin only had to bat his eyelashes and protest "I didn't do that!" a couple of times, and Trump believed. Why? Because that's what Trump wanted to believe. Needed to believe. So he believed Putin, against all evidence. Just as he believed a million people were at his inauguaration. Just as he believed the rain stopped so he could give his speech.

And he will believe Kim, if Kim plays him right. Play Trump right, and Kim stands to keep his nukes, lose the sanctions, and never have to worry about Trump again.
No, once again youíre not in reality. Kim has no cards, either he does what heís told or we make his country a hole. See, no choice. This is what happens when you donít have democrat pusses in leadership.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2018, 07:46 PM   #609
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Ampulla of Vater View Post
Suddenly we can believe rocketman et al?
Lol

You think this is about belief!
Old 9th May 2018, 08:16 PM   #610
Steve
Philosopher

No, once again youíre not in reality. Kim has no cards, either he does what heís told or we make his country a hole. See, no choice. This is what happens when you donít have democrat pusses in leadership.
Just like the US has made "holes" of all the other countries whose leaders have not done what they are told? Syria for instance?

Nahhh. Trump is as mad as a march hare but even he won't do that. By now, with his tiny attention span, he has probably completely forgotten that the US even has nukes.
Old 9th May 2018, 09:27 PM   #611
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Just like the US has made "holes" of all the other countries whose leaders have not done what they are told? Syria for instance?

Nahhh. Trump is as mad as a march hare but even he won't do that. By now, with his tiny attention span, he has probably completely forgotten that the US even has nukes.
More reality oh well.
Old 9th May 2018, 09:28 PM   #612
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump needs a success at the meeting way more than KJU does. With the withdrawal from the Iran deal, Trump has seriously weakened his position as a trustworthy negotiator.
At best, he will get a written promise without any serious inspection rights. And he will have to pay dearly for it (with withdrawal from SK at a minimum).
Old 9th May 2018, 09:31 PM   #613
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump needs a success at the meeting way more than KJU does. With the withdrawal from the Iran deal, Trump has seriously weakened his position as a trustworthy negotiator.
At best, he will get a written promise without any serious inspection rights. And he will have to pay dearly for it (with withdrawal from SK at a minimum).
Yes, this opinion has been all over leftist land but itís BS, hostages being released would be the clue.
Old 9th May 2018, 10:26 PM   #614
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Indeed.

Or not. In corporate sale training, there is a rather simple but effective approach I was taught about how to face demanding, immediately dismissive bullies as customers: get right back in their face, or lose face and the sale. "Never placate!" This method worked well, as it turns out. I am therefore willing to entertain the notion that there are those who only understand and react to credible threats of force: KJU, the Chinese, and Trump's Americans among them. In this reading of events, Trump has both of these adversaries on the run, convinced he'd use nukes, as he is speaking their language.

If so, we see the immediate "positive" impact of being, in fact, the world's largest bully, and using that to get one's way in all things. This, of course, will end up generating the exact same hyper-competitive nationalism that preceded the two great wars. And to that, too many voices today cry "Bring it." The dim logic of the bar stool now reigns free in America.

Think I'll brush up on my BareKnucklese, the world's newest, and oldest, lingua franca.
Old 9th May 2018, 10:46 PM   #615
Toontown
Philosopher

No cards?

Great. Someone needs to tell Trump there is no need to travel all the way over there to collect Kim's nonexistent cards. He can just call Kim and give him his marching orders by phone.

BTW, nothing has happened yet. You are counting unhatched chickens. Except for the blown up Iran deal, which is more of a killer zombie chicken from hell.

As I recall, the last time we didn't have a democrat puss in leadership, we went 7 years and 7 trillion dollars deep into two quagmires. And then straight into a financial collapse and the Great Recession, all of which we came out of under a Democrat puss. Except for one of the quagmires, because the puss was hunting the perpetrator of 9/11 over there.

Exactly how would this "hole" be made? Unlawful preemptive nuclear strike or unlawful conventional preemption?

Does the survival of SK's capital city enter into your thinking at all? That city is in range of 30,000 dug in artillery guns.

What about Los Angeles and Washington DC, if Kim perchance does have a few ICBM's ready to go if Trump decides to make a hole of NK.

Bear in mind that Kim need only decline to initiate any action, and any military action by Trump would be either a crime against humanity or a war crime, both of which would be egregious violations of U.S. law as well as international law. Have you considered the consequences for Trump if his aggression were to result in the destruction of Seoul or a U.S. city?

Your rebuttal is moot anyway, since my stated alternative to your starry-eyed faith in the deeply problematic "hole" threat would be that Kim will quickly appear to become a loyal friend and effusive admirer of The Only One. This will result in Kim keeping his nukes and losing the sanctions. After he swears personal loyalty to The Only One and solemnly promises never to shoot a nuke at the U.S., of course.

Thereby completely bypassing your "hole" threat.

But not to worry. The Kims do not seem any more suicidal than the Soviets, and M.A.D. kept them at bay for decades.
Old 9th May 2018, 10:52 PM   #616
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump has nothing to threaten NK with: even a limited nuclear strike wouldn't much impact its economy of military capability.
Old 10th May 2018, 04:04 AM   #617
logger
Banned

Trump has nothing to threaten NK with: even a limited nuclear strike wouldn't much impact its economy of military capability.
Your post is a perfect example of what democrats think. Thanks for proving the point. This was the whole problem with Obamaís foreign policy and lead from behind.
Old 10th May 2018, 04:08 AM   #618
logger
Banned

No cards?

Great. Someone needs to tell Trump there is no need to travel all the way over there to collect Kim's nonexistent cards. He can just call Kim and give him his marching orders by phone.

BTW, nothing has happened yet. You are counting unhatched chickens. Except for the blown up Iran deal, which is more of a killer zombie chicken from hell.

As I recall, the last time we didn't have a democrat puss in leadership, we went 7 years and 7 trillion dollars deep into two quagmires. And then straight into a financial collapse and the Great Recession, all of which we came out of under a Democrat puss. Except for one of the quagmires, because the puss was hunting the perpetrator of 9/11 over there.

Exactly how would this "hole" be made? Unlawful preemptive nuclear strike or unlawful conventional preemption?

Does the survival of SK's capital city enter into your thinking at all? That city is in range of 30,000 dug in artillery guns.

What about Los Angeles and Washington DC, if Kim perchance does have a few ICBM's ready to go if Trump decides to make a hole of NK.

Bear in mind that Kim need only decline to initiate any action, and any military action by Trump would be either a crime against humanity or a war crime, both of which would be egregious violations of U.S. law as well as international law. Have you considered the consequences for Trump if his aggression were to result in the destruction of Seoul or a U.S. city?

Your rebuttal is moot anyway, since my stated alternative to your starry-eyed faith in the deeply problematic "hole" threat would be that Kim will quickly appear to become a loyal friend and effusive admirer of The Only One. This will result in Kim keeping his nukes and losing the sanctions. After he swears personal loyalty to The Only One and solemnly promises never to shoot a nuke at the U.S., of course.

Thereby completely bypassing your "hole" threat.

But not to worry. The Kims do not seem any more suicidal than the Soviets, and M.A.D. kept them at bay for decades.
Lol

Itís not going to go the way of war. Look youíre shooting from the hip, just let Trump do it, sit back and relax. The democrats have never been able to handle these things just watch and learn.
Old 10th May 2018, 05:57 AM   #619
Toontown
Philosopher

Lol

It’s not going to go the way of war. Look you’re shooting from the hip, just let Trump do it, sit back and relax. The democrats have never been able to handle these things just watch and learn.
Of course it won't come to war. That is the "card" NK has that you fail to acknowledge. The U.S. and SK really, really do not want war with NK.

I was just trying to explain the facts of life to you, after all your loose talk about Trump making holes if Kim doesn't give him what he wants. I was trying, in vain, to get it across to you that Trump preemptively attacking NK would constitute a war crime and a crime against humanity, by both U.S. law and international law.

Kim appearing to come to Jesus will simply cause me so suspect a conspiracy between Putin and Kim (at least), aimed at making a hero of the Trump sow's ear and keeping him in office. This would hardly be an unreasonable suspicion, given the fact that Putin has already interfered with an election for the purpose of getting Trump into office. Putin and Kim (at least) conspiring to keep Trump in place would hardly be surprising.

Last edited by Toontown; 10th May 2018 at 06:19 AM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 09:16 AM   #620
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Yes, this opinion has been all over leftist land but it’s BS, hostages being released would be the clue.
The hostages (2 of them) were taken WHILE Trump was president. Would you thank a car thief for returning your stolen car?

Trump praised Kim. Again. If Obama had said nice things about Kim (and all the other horrible dictators in the world), I don't think you would be so OK with it. In fact, I know you wouldn't.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 09:16 AM   #621
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

If you’d think about this for a moment. Kim knows we now have a president who is quite shrewd in his dealings.
LOL, if you'd think about it for a minute, Kim knows that Trump is self-absorbed ignoramus with a pathological need for flattery who played a shrewd business man on "reality" TV after failing at nearly every business he tried.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 09:17 AM   #622
Steve
Philosopher

More reality oh well.
Ok, clarify.

If reality is that the US has made *holes* of other countries that have not done as they are told please tell us where. Japan during an officially declared war does not count.

Or is it reality that Trump actually is mad enough to launch a nuclear strike on NK if they do not do what he says?
Old 10th May 2018, 09:18 AM   #623
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Kim has the ultimate card now: nukes. How many nuclear powers have we gone to war with? Right.

Kim already has what he wanted: nukes, and missiles that can deliver them. Everything else is gravy.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 09:37 AM   #624
aleCcowaN
imperfecto del subjuntivo

Location: stranded at Buenos Aires, a city that, like NYC or Paris, has so little to offer...
Originally Posted by logger
Trump solving the North Korea problem and youíre still posting old news.
Trump is merely buying vowels...
Old 10th May 2018, 09:42 AM   #625
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster

What Trump pulling out of the Iran deal tells Kim is that Trump doesn't like nuclear deals in which the other party ends up with nuclear weapons. So, if Kim's plan is end up with nuclear weapons down the road, there is no need for him to show up in Singapore.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 09:43 AM   #626
aleCcowaN
imperfecto del subjuntivo

Location: stranded at Buenos Aires, a city that, like NYC or Paris, has so little to offer...
Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post

If so, we see the immediate "positive" impact of being, in fact, the world's largest bully, and using that to get one's way in all things. This, of course, will end up generating the exact same hyper-competitive nationalism that preceded the two great wars. And to that, too many voices today cry "Bring it." The dim logic of the bar stool now reigns free in America.

Think I'll brush up on my BareKnucklese, the world's newest, and oldest, lingua franca.
Indeed.

But I see some positive results in the isolationism of the USA: now the association between the EU and the Mercosur is more likely than ever. A strike from Eurasia to the outskirts of Oceania.
Old 10th May 2018, 09:51 AM   #627
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
What Trump pulling out of the Iran deal tells Kim is that Trump doesn't like nuclear deals in which the other party ends up with nuclear weapons. So, if Kim's plan is end up with nuclear weapons down the road, there is no need for him to show up in Singapore.
Yeah, thatís, like, like...

I canít even.
Old 10th May 2018, 10:23 AM   #628
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Ok, clarify.

If reality is that the US has made *holes* of other countries that have not done as they are told please tell us where. Japan during an officially declared war does not count.

Or is it reality that Trump actually is mad enough to launch a nuclear strike on NK if they do not do what he says?
If Kim is a clever reality-based boy, he has little fear of that. Even if Trump wanted to commit a war crime and a crime against humanity by launching preemptive war, cooler and saner heads would restrain him. For one example, the commander of U.S. nuclear forces has bluntly stated that he would refuse an order to launch an unlawful preemptive nuclear strike.

Kim need only refrain from any offensive moves, and he can keep his nukes.

He may, however, want to trick the gullible and compromised U.S. electorate into thinking he's disarming, at least until after the midterms, to help Trump stay in office. Depending on how Kim reads Trump during the summit, and how easily Kim feels he can manipulate Trump. Possibly depending on whether Putin still wants Trump in office.
Old 10th May 2018, 10:30 AM   #629
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Yeah, thatís, like, like...

I canít even.
What you're trying to say is you can't argue the logic of my comment? Is that it?
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 10:42 AM   #630
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

What you're trying to say is you can't argue the logic of my comment? Is that it?
No, I think he was just stunned by your LACK of logic.

Your original post was:

That fails in several ways:

- The majority of people (including Mattis in the President's own cabinet) believed that the deal was effectively keeping Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons. So withdrawing from the agreement doesn't prevent Iran from getting nukes, in fact it may actually MAKE them get nukes.

- Kim doesn't need to worry about getting nuclear weapons down the road, because he already HAS nuclear weapons. They have been testing them for over a decade, and its estimated that they already have over a dozen functional weapons.

So, by withdrawing from the agreement, Trump is not telling North Korea "I don't like agreements where the other guy ends up with nukes", he is telling them "Go ahead and keep working on your weapons... because whatever agreement is made, you can't trust the U.S. to maintain it".

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 10:58 AM   #631
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
No, I think he was just stunned by your LACK of logic.

Your original post was:

That fails in several ways:

- The majority of people (including Mattis in the President's own cabinet) believed that the deal was effectively keeping Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons. So withdrawing from the agreement doesn't prevent Iran from getting nukes, in fact it may actually MAKE them get nukes.

- Kim doesn't need to worry about getting nuclear weapons down the road, because he already HAS nuclear weapons. They have been testing them for over a decade, and its estimated that they already have over a dozen functional weapons.

So, by withdrawing from the agreement, Trump is not telling North Korea "I don't like agreements where the other guy ends up with nukes", he is telling them "Go ahead and keep working on your weapons... because whatever agreement is made, you can't trust the U.S. to maintain it".
Does the statement "North Korea intends to denuclearize" ring a bell? Perhaps Fake News hasn't been covering it. You might want to poke around the internet a bit.
Old 10th May 2018, 11:13 AM   #632
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Does the statement "North Korea intends to denuclearize" ring a bell? Perhaps Fake News hasn't been covering it. You might want to poke around the internet a bit.
Except of course there's absolutely no proof that denuclearizing is what North Korea intends to do.

Yeah, some feeble-minded gullible people may be willing to fall for it, but the majority of people are properly skeptical, and they see current actions by North Korea as just a way to manipulate Trump.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 11:37 AM   #633
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Except of course there's absolutely no proof that denuclearizing is what North Korea intends to do.

Yeah, some feeble-minded gullible people may be willing to fall for it, but the majority of people are properly skeptical, and they see current actions by North Korea as just a way to manipulate Trump.
The "feeble-minded and gullible" got our three hostages back last night. Did Fake News not report it?
Old 10th May 2018, 11:39 AM   #634
Steve
Philosopher

If Kim is a clever reality-based boy, he has little fear of that. Even if Trump wanted to commit a war crime and a crime against humanity by launching preemptive war, cooler and saner heads would restrain him. For one example, the commander of U.S. nuclear forces has bluntly stated that he would refuse an order to launch an unlawful preemptive nuclear strike.

Kim need only refrain from any offensive moves, and he can keep his nukes.

He may, however, want to trick the gullible and compromised U.S. electorate into thinking he's disarming, at least until after the midterms, to help Trump stay in office. Depending on how Kim reads Trump during the summit, and how easily Kim feels he can manipulate Trump. Possibly depending on whether Putin still wants Trump in office.
That all makes perfect sense to me. I was merely trying to get a sensible comment from the poster who said this:

Old 10th May 2018, 11:45 AM   #635
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

But of course that is not an unlawful order. The president has the full authority to launch such an attack and it is not an unlawful order. They do not have the power to countermand and launch a military coup.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 01:15 PM   #636
Garrison
Philosopher

The "feeble-minded and gullible" got our three hostages back last night. Did Fake News not report it?
NK wanted direct negotiations with the US, Trump folds and gives them what they want, NK generously return the hostages they were illegally holding, not seeing this is as a stellar demonstration of Trump's negotiating skills.
Old 10th May 2018, 02:16 PM   #637
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Exactly why is talking to them so horrible?
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 02:31 PM   #638
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Exactly why is talking to them so horrible?
Mostly that its giving into blackmail. NK ramped up the threat level until Trump caved and gave them what they wanted, its not a great example to set.
Old 10th May 2018, 02:32 PM   #639
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
NK wanted direct negotiations with the US, Trump folds and gives them what they want, NK generously return the hostages they were illegally holding, not seeing this is as a stellar demonstration of Trump's negotiating skills.
I don't think you can possibly believe what you said here about Trump folding and Kim Jong Un raking in the pot, so to speak. It's nonsense because it completely ignores the path Trump has taken to reach where he is today with Korea, and the idea that Trump does anything he doesn't want to do, especially on a scale this large, is just silly.

Progressives don't need to worry, though. Any deal to denuclearize Korea will make Kim Jong Un stronger than he is today, IMO, and y'all can crow about that for the next 7 years.
Old 10th May 2018, 02:39 PM   #640
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Thanks for returning the Americans you illegally imprisoned under my watch. You're all right, Kim. Some might even say you're honorable. And by some, I mean me. Also, you're a smart cookie.

-Trump

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics