ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Kim Jong-un , US-North Korea relations

Old 10th May 2018, 02:54 PM   #641
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
Thanks for returning the Americans you illegally imprisoned under my watch. You're all right, Kim. Some might even say you're honorable. And by some, I mean me. Also, you're a smart cookie.

-Trump
Remember the time that FDR met Stalin in Yalta and proceeded to call him a horrible monster who had murdered millions of his own people and then spit in his face while the cameras rolled? Me either.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 02:59 PM   #642
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
I don't think you can possibly believe what you said here about Trump folding and Kim Jong Un raking in the pot, so to speak. It's nonsense because it completely ignores the path Trump has taken to reach where he is today with Korea.
You mean behaving like a maniac before giving NK exactly what it wanted in exchange for warm words, the closure of a test site that was probably unusable anyway and the return of three people NK kidnapped in the first place? Kim got what he wanted so of course he's happy to stroke Trump's ego.
Old 10th May 2018, 03:02 PM   #643
Garrison
Philosopher

Thanks for returning the Americans you illegally imprisoned under my watch. You're all right, Kim. Some might even say you're honorable. And by some, I mean me. Also, you're a smart cookie.

-Trump
Well relative to Trump maybe he is a smart cookie.
Old 10th May 2018, 03:24 PM   #644
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Remember the time that FDR met Stalin in Yalta and proceeded to call him a horrible monster who had murdered millions of his own people and then spit in his face while the cameras rolled? Me either.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 03:39 PM   #645
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
NK wanted direct negotiations with the US, Trump folds and gives them what they want, NK generously return the hostages they were illegally holding, not seeing this is as a stellar demonstration of Trump's negotiating skills.

-Trump
You mean behaving like a maniac before giving NK exactly what it wanted in exchange for warm words, the closure of a test site that was probably unusable anyway and the return of three people NK kidnapped in the first place? Kim got what he wanted so of course he's happy to stroke Trump's ego.
A few weeks ago the dems were frightened by the prospect of war with NK. Now theyíre complaining Trump is too nice to the North Koreans. You canít make this up!
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 03:42 PM   #646
Garrison
Philosopher

Yeah, I suspect this little meeting in Singapore is going to be more Munich than Yalta...

Originally Posted by logger View Post
A few weeks ago the dems were frightened by the prospect of war with NK. Now they’re complaining Trump is too nice to the North Koreans. You can’t make this up!
Yeah, who would have thought Trump was so easily bought off? Well maybe Putin...

Last edited by Garrison; 10th May 2018 at 03:45 PM.
Garrison is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 04:11 PM   #647
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Mostly that its giving into blackmail. NK ramped up the threat level until Trump caved and gave them what they wanted
Who are you strawmanning, and why not just give what your own real answer actually is?
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 04:29 PM   #648
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And just a few weeks ago the Trumpists were screaming how war and regime change were the only answer for North Korea.
I am reminded of "we were always at war with Eastasia: from 1984.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 04:30 PM   #649
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if it was a Democrat doing this the Trump fanboys would be cheering so loudly?

I know,obvious answer.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 04:52 PM   #650
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And just a few weeks ago the Trumpists were screaming how war and regime change were the only answer for North Korea.
I am reminded of "we were always at war with Eastasia: from 1984.
Actually we were willing to go that far. Thatís what you do in these negotiations, itís THE reason dems arenít good at dealing with dictators because they arenít tough, theyíre wimps. Appeasers who only no how to show weakness.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 04:56 PM   #651
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

At his core, Trump isn't that different from Lunchbox. I'm sure The Hair would send reporters to concentration camps like his new besty if he thought he could get away with it.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 04:57 PM   #652
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Actually we were willing to go that far. Thatís what you do in these negotiations, itís THE reason dems arenít good at dealing with dictators because they arenít tough, theyíre wimps. Appeasers who only no how to show weakness.
Have you not noticed your Russian Whore hero rolling over and showing his belly to Kim? He's getting played and the only people who don't know it are Trump and is supporters.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 05:02 PM   #653
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Have you not noticed your Russian Whore hero rolling over and showing his belly to Kim? He's getting played and the only people who don't know it are Trump and is supporters.
Lol

Hereís a great article showing the weakness of Obama, it has it all, from apology tour to cash payments. Itís a perfect contrast from weakness to a strong leader like Trump. Republicans have been laughing and shaking their heads at the weakness of democrat men for decades.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/05/10/tr...es-difference/
Old 10th May 2018, 05:15 PM   #654
Fudbucker
Philosopher

A few weeks ago the dems were frightened by the prospect of war with NK. Now they’re complaining Trump is too nice to the North Koreans. You can’t make this up!
It's almost like Trump is mentally unstable, vacillating between threats of armageddon and obsequiousness.

Or is he a real stable genius who has the best words...

One thing's for certain, you would be heaping praise on Obama if he complimented a dictator for returning Americans who were illegally imprisoned on his watch. Right?
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 05:19 PM   #655
logger
Banned

It's almost like Trump is mentally unstable, vacillating between threats of armageddon and obsequiousness.

Or is he a real stable genius who has the best words...

One thing's for certain, you would be heaping praise on Obama if he complimented a dictator for returning Americans who were illegally imprisoned on his watch. Right?

What I see with the left, it’s never about results. Which is why the left fails at everything they touch. They aren’t results driven.
Old 10th May 2018, 05:37 PM   #656
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

What I see with the left, itís never about results. Which is why the left fails at everything they touch. They arenít results driven.
If the result is making America ditrusted, isolated and sidelined by the rest of the world he is doing a good job.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 05:44 PM   #657
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

The 'left' and President Obama were so weak, that his administration would never have sent a secret Military team into a friendly country without authorization to kill Osama Bin Laden.

This is why he's still alive, and causing trouble. Because 'Dems' and 'liberals' would never have taken the bold steps to deal with him. Only the right, and conservatives would be able to do that..

All because Obama had a mother.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2018, 05:52 PM   #658
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
If the result is making America ditrusted, isolated and sidelined by the rest of the world he is doing a good job.
The world? Lol

The world would never dream of peace with NK.
Old 10th May 2018, 05:53 PM   #659
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
The 'left' and President Obama were so weak, that his administration would never have sent a secret Military team into a friendly country without authorization to kill Osama Bin Laden.

This is why he's still alive, and causing trouble. Because 'Dems' and 'liberals' would never have taken the bold steps to deal with him. Only the right, and conservatives would be able to do that..

All because Obama had a mother.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

Of course our military only asked him to sign to give the simple okay. Not very hard!
Old 10th May 2018, 05:59 PM   #660
Fudbucker
Philosopher

What I see with the left, itís never about results. Which is why the left fails at everything they touch. They arenít results driven.
The result was NK returning Americans who were illegally imprisoned on Trump's watch. Do you think that deserves a "thank you"?
Old 10th May 2018, 06:13 PM   #661
logger
Banned

The result was NK returning Americans who were illegally imprisoned on Trump's watch. Do you think that deserves a "thank you"?
I can’t imagine you’ll ever give Trump credit for this.

Last edited by logger; 10th May 2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10th May 2018, 06:22 PM   #662
Fudbucker
Philosopher

I canít imagine youíll ever give Trump credit for this.
That's not the question. Does Kim deserve a "thank you" for returning Americans he illegally imprisoned? Yes/no? It's an easy question. The answer is obviously "No", right?
Old 10th May 2018, 06:33 PM   #663
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Ahhh. All too easy.

The right, being angry thin skinned sacks of meat, will do anything to deny credit where credit is due.

They're too weak to admit reality.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 05:28 AM   #664
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Alrighty. Please discuss at length the impact of deregulation, starting with the 1980s S&L banking crisis, and ending with the 2008 global financial meltdown. Your profound expertise, like that of the party you represent, is welcome, since at this very moment, given the exit from a UNSC agreement with Iran, has everyone second-guessing the centrality of the dollar and the need to go through the US banking system for almost everything. Should you wish to defend that central role as yet vital, please discuss how predictability and sound, non-arbitrary regulatory practices play a role, if any. If none, explain what threats might be used to "entice" non-Americans.

This is a stellar opportunity to place your brain where your mouth is, and come up with the much-touted dominion over using factual results to guide policy.
Old 11th May 2018, 05:37 AM   #665
logger
Banned

That's not the question. Does Kim deserve a "thank you" for returning Americans he illegally imprisoned? Yes/no? It's an easy question. The answer is obviously "No", right?
Obviously? Why even ask, it proves my point. You got your answer to a question that means what?
Old 11th May 2018, 05:38 AM   #666
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Alrighty. Please discuss at length the impact of deregulation, starting with the 1980s S&L banking crisis, and ending with the 2008 global financial meltdown. Your profound expertise, like that of the party you represent, is welcome, since at this very moment, given the exit from a UNSC agreement with Iran, has everyone second-guessing the centrality of the dollar and the need to go through the US banking system for almost everything. Should you wish to defend that central role as yet vital, please discuss how predictability and sound, non-arbitrary regulatory practices play a role, if any. If none, explain what threats might be used to "entice" non-Americans.

This is a stellar opportunity to place your brain where your mouth is, and come up with the much-touted dominion over using factual results to guide policy.
Irrelevant and way down the list and many republicans helper shape this. Dems can only get these things done when republicans are holding their hands.
Old 11th May 2018, 05:43 AM   #667
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

What I see with the left, it’s never about results. Which is why the left fails at everything they touch. They aren’t results driven.
Life isn't about the results. It turns out the result is the same for everybody over a long enough timeframe. It's how you do it that matters.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 11th May 2018 at 05:45 AM.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 05:46 AM   #668
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Life isn't about the results. It turns out the result is the same for everybody over a long enough timeframe. It's how you do it that matters.
Actually itís both Bob.
Old 11th May 2018, 05:56 AM   #669
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Actually itís both Bob.
Strongly disagree.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 06:42 AM   #670
Toontown
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Exactly why is talking to them so horrible?
Talking to Kim isn't what is so horrible. It is who will be talking to Kim that's so horrible.

It doesn't take a genius to dope out why Trump is sucking up to Kim. Trump needs Kim to give him a "win". Needs it bad.

It is a good bet that Trump dreams of winning the Nobel Peace Prize and getting a YUGE military parade, all in one fell swoop. Kim Jong Un holds the key to those dreams.

Perhaps the two of them can scheme up a way to make it look like Kim is giving up the key he and his father worked and schemed for decades to create. At least until after the midterms, or possibly until after the 2020 presidential election.

Last edited by Toontown; 11th May 2018 at 06:45 AM.
Toontown is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 07:25 AM   #671
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

I think some rather overheated posters are forgetting that whatever may be accomplished, and let us hope something good comes of these talks, the ground-breaking step was to agree to a face-to-face. Without more on that for now, here is the brutal takedown any hubris they might be feeling deserves, in the very own words of Fox News.

If shining white men can do it for glory, fine, otherwise, evil. Gotcha.
Old 11th May 2018, 08:01 AM   #672
Slings and Arrows
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Life isn't about the results.

Isn't that the motto inscribed on participation trophies?
Slings and Arrows is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 10:22 AM   #673
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
I think some rather overheated posters are forgetting that whatever may be accomplished, and let us hope something good comes of these talks, the ground-breaking step was to agree to a face-to-face. Without more on that for now, here is the brutal takedown any hubris they might be feeling deserves, in the very own words of Fox News.

If shining white men can do it for glory, fine, otherwise, evil. Gotcha.
Over heated posters? Gotcha
Old 11th May 2018, 10:47 AM   #674
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Toontown View Post
Talking to Kim isn't what is so horrible. It is who will be talking to Kim that's so horrible.

It doesn't take a genius to dope out why Trump is sucking up to Kim. Trump needs Kim to give him a "win". Needs it bad.

It is a good bet that Trump dreams of winning the Nobel Peace Prize and getting a YUGE military parade, all in one fell swoop. Kim Jong Un holds the key to those dreams.

Perhaps the two of them can scheme up a way to make it look like Kim is giving up the key he and his father worked and schemed for decades to create. At least until after the midterms, or possibly until after the 2020 presidential election.
Kim was educated in France so perhaps he looks on democratic countries a bit differently than his predecessors. One can hope, you know. The people who really need "a win" are the 20 million North Koreans who live outside of Pyongyang and can't even get in there without a pass.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2018, 11:07 AM   #675
Steve
Philosopher

Kim was educated in France so perhaps he looks on democratic countries a bit differently than his predecessors. One can hope, you know. The people who really need "a win" are the 20 million North Koreans who live outside of Pyongyang and can't even get in there without a pass.
Agreed. But I think that the different way he looks at democracies, is that he has figured out how to manipulate them better than his predecessors. He is politically quite savvy.

I think that Lee has been making the correct political moves recently but that he is still very wary of Kim's end game.

Trump just takes everything at face value and really has no idea what is really going on. Look at his reaction to the prisoner release. He actually thinks he has done something to accomplish this.
Old 11th May 2018, 11:49 AM   #676
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Agreed. But I think that the different way he looks at democracies, is that he has figured out how to manipulate them better than his predecessors. He is politically quite savvy.

I think that Lee has been making the correct political moves recently but that he is still very wary of Kim's end game.

Trump just takes everything at face value and really has no idea what is really going on. Look at his reaction to the prisoner release. He actually thinks he has done something to accomplish this.
He’s putting a public face on it. Why do these things have to be explained?

Critical thinking would lead one to understand the man is surrounded by people helping to craft this strategy. Lordy!
Old 11th May 2018, 11:54 AM   #677
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Heís putting a public face on it. Why do these things have to be explained?

Critical thinking would lead one to understand the man is surrounded by people helping to craft this strategy. Lordy!
The people around Trump couldn't craft a strategy to get him his wall, or Obamacare repeal, or an infrastructure bill, or an investigation of Clinton, or Planned Parenthood defunding. They DID succeed in getting a special prosecutor appointed to investigate Trump and his buddies.

Based on that track record, why do you think they'll succeed here?
Old 11th May 2018, 02:07 PM   #678
logger
Banned

The people around Trump couldn't craft a strategy to get him his wall, or Obamacare repeal, or an infrastructure bill, or an investigation of Clinton, or Planned Parenthood defunding. They DID succeed in getting a special prosecutor appointed to investigate Trump and his buddies.

Based on that track record, why do you think they'll succeed here?
Heís succeeded in 100ís of other things, narrowing to just his failures is typical isnít it?
Old 11th May 2018, 03:51 PM   #679
Steve
Philosopher

Heís putting a public face on it. Why do these things have to be explained?

What does that even mean?

Trump is surrounded by people who will lie as much as he does to keep him happy. Their sole purpose is to keep the job he has given them. They have no concept of strategy.
Old 11th May 2018, 03:53 PM   #680
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What does that even mean?

Trump is surrounded by people who will lie as much as he does to keep him happy. Their sole purpose is to keep the job he has given them. They have no concept of strategy.
This just isn’t reality and the things he’s getting done proves it.

For you to think he didn’t do anything to accomplish this prisoner release is 100% crazy extreme denial.

Last edited by logger; 11th May 2018 at 03:55 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics