IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Tony Abbott

Old 6th May 2016, 09:05 AM   #281
Wildy
Adelaidean

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
The election date will be Saturday 4 2 July.
(ftfy)

That's assuming Turnbull goes to the GG on time and the GG approves the double dissolution.

Quote:
That means the Government has until 14 July to call the election. Or is that hold the election? The wording appears to be ambiguous.
I think what's happened is that I wasn't very clear. I was saying you have until May 11 to be able to dissolve parliament before the 6 month limit kicks in. The House of Representatives first sat on Nov. 12 2013, so it expires on Nov. 11 of this year. May 11 is the 6 month end limit. So we'll find out by Wednesday what kind of election we'll be having.
Old 8th May 2016, 12:48 AM   #282
KDLarsen
Philosopher

Well that's all the speculation out the window then. Double dissolution confirmed and election date set for July 2.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2016, 01:20 AM   #283
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

How does the headline go?
Finally, we have the chance to kick these bastards out!
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2016, 01:41 AM   #284
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
We have the chance, but will we?
Are there enough swinging voters that are fed up with the LNP?
I think people think that the Coalition have their interest at heart. So they will probably be voted back in.

Put him in the van.
wombatwal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2016, 01:53 AM   #285
jenspen
Critical Thinker

Well, we could recycle an effective theme song from '07:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
jenspen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2016, 04:49 AM   #286
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by jenspen View Post
Well, we could recycle an effective theme song from '07:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Only problem if we vote these bastards out we also vote some other bastards back in.
Old 8th May 2016, 07:17 AM   #287
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
Well that's all the speculation out the window then. Double dissolution confirmed and election date set for July 2.
I'm shocked!

Who would possibly have expected this to happen (apart from everybody)?
Old 8th May 2016, 04:52 PM   #288
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Fairfax-Ipsos poll: First Turnbull budget gets election 2016 off to a shaky start

Apparently the worst-received budget since the 2014 Abbott-Hockey budget.

Quote:
Only 39 per cent of those surveyed in the Fairfax-Ipsos poll conducted between Thursday and Saturday said they approved of the budget. Forty six per cent disapproved. The numbers are the worst since the 2014 budget, of which only 33 approved and 65 per cent disapproved.

Even Peter Costello's second "horror" budget in 1997 wasn't as unpopular. Only 36 per cent of the population disapproved of the second Howard-Costello budget.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2016, 07:46 AM   #289
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Only problem if we vote these bastards out we also vote some other bastards back in.
Yes but they're slightly less bastardly.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2016, 03:10 PM   #290
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Yes but they're slightly less bastardly.
Is that like slightly less pregnant? In other words they might start out slightly better, but after a few years they are just as bad.
Old 19th May 2016, 12:35 PM   #291
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Well, what do you all think about this AFP investigating the ALP about the NBN leaks in the middle of an election campaign.
Do you think it is politically motivated. If so it is a very worrying step into a police state.
Do you think the Coalition/NBN company have put the AFP onto this at a time convenient to them.
It may be time to look very critically at the Coalition for the sake of freedom and democracy in Australia.

Put him in the van.
wombatwal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2016, 09:48 AM   #292
Wildy
Adelaidean

It's a political action, even if the AFP were "acting independently". The only reason why they wanted to plug those leaks was because the documents make Turnbull look incompetent.

I'm just amazed he hasn't gone "Tony made me do it".
Old 22nd May 2016, 02:51 PM   #293
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

It would look bad for Turnbull if no one is charged before the election.
Old 22nd May 2016, 05:18 PM   #294
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It already looks pretty bad for Turnbull.

But it's still early yet.

ETA: Sorry, I should have said that it looks pretty bad for the LNC. Turnbull's still ahead as "Preferred Prime Minister" for whatever good that's worth.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2016, 04:57 AM   #295
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
It already looks pretty bad for Turnbull.

But it's still early yet.

ETA: Sorry, I should have said that it looks pretty bad for the LNC. Turnbull's still ahead as "Preferred Prime Minister" for whatever good that's worth.
Both versions are correct
Quote:
And the massive approval *enjoyed by the Prime Minister in the early months after he replaced Tony Abbott last September has been wiped out, with Mr Turnbull’s net satisfaction rating now the same as for the Opposition Leader, at -12 points.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...5016ee88f856f9

The trouble with saying things to be popular is that they often can be shown to be ridiculous. For example saying that refugees coming to Australia will be unemployed and taking jobs from Australians is contradicting yourself. Not to mention factually incorrect. This is something the Liberals are finding out.
Old 25th May 2016, 02:59 AM   #296
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Bill can't escape Julia's legacy

Trish Crossin is ropeable

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...24-gp2xu6.html
Old 29th May 2016, 07:39 AM   #297
devnull
Philosopher

Well the debate was interesting.

Im actually quite surprised how well Shorten did. Seems Labor have a much broader, rounded message (although a little short on detail), as opposed to the LNP's "big business at the cost of everything else" message.

I gave it to Shorten by a fairly wide margin.

Thoughts?
"Here we go again.... semantic and syntactic chicanery and sophistic sleight of tongue and pen.... the bedazzling magic of appearing to be saying something when in fact all that is happening is diverting attention from the attempts at shoving god through the trapdoor of illogic and wishful thinking." - Leumas
devnull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2016, 10:10 AM   #298
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Thoughts?
You seem to be the only person in the world that called the debate "interesting".

The political pundits gave the victory narrowly to Shorten in what was seen to be a lack luster debate. Even The Australian shared this view (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/fede...8190a8230fb7cd). Apparently they were so determined to have a safe format that when one leader spoke, the other leader's mike was turned off .

Of course, few people will be able to make a personal judgement about it. Not one of the major networks telecast the debate. Even the ABC's News Radio preferred to broadcast the BBC World Service instead of the debate.
Old 29th May 2016, 02:35 PM   #299
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

If anyone wants to watch the debate, it is available on iView.
Old 29th May 2016, 05:20 PM   #300
devnull
Philosopher

I find it interesting because I fully expected shorten to fail hard.
"Here we go again.... semantic and syntactic chicanery and sophistic sleight of tongue and pen.... the bedazzling magic of appearing to be saying something when in fact all that is happening is diverting attention from the attempts at shoving god through the trapdoor of illogic and wishful thinking." - Leumas
devnull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th May 2016, 05:33 PM   #301
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Shorten's been getting better since he decided to defy my earlier prediction and take the party to the election. I'm actually slightly impressed. I no longer have justification for making the "Bill Who?" joke.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 29th May 2016, 07:24 PM   #302
devnull
Philosopher

Shorten's been getting better since he decided to defy my earlier prediction and take the party to the election. I'm actually slightly impressed. I no longer have justification for making the "Bill Who?" joke.
Agreed. Actually makes me feel a little dirty.
Old 17th June 2016, 02:18 AM   #303
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Debate on facebook

Malcolm Turnbull and Bill Shorten have just faced each other in a public debate on facebook. It was conducted on new.com.au's facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/news.com.au...1702629190440/).

It was slightly less sanitized than the debate on foxtel but no really big suprises (except that at one point, Bill Shorten got to urge viewers to click the "like" button if they wanted fibre to their homes). An audience of 30 people selected from marginal electorates gave the debate to Shorten by a 17 - 7 margin although the commentators only gave Shorten a marginal victory.
Old 17th June 2016, 04:46 AM   #304
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Did not see it. I am on Facebook but don't use it much.
Let's see how Q&A goes on Monday with Harbourside Mansion.

Put him in the van.
Old 17th June 2016, 08:39 AM   #305
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by wombatwal View Post
Did not see it. I am on Facebook but don't use it much.
Maybe that's what Turnbull was hoping for. Incumbents have little to gain and a lot to lose by agreeing to debate the opposition (thereby giving them free publicity).

Anyhow, the link is there if you get bored.
Old 26th June 2016, 09:34 PM   #306
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Brexit, Brexit, Brexit, that is all we are hearing lately.
There is an election here on Saturday.
Do you think everyone is bored silly with this election and Turnbull will get over the line easily?
Or a hung parliament?
Or Labor will just get in?
I have a psychic feeling from my spirit guide that the Indis will play a big part if not make the reps interesting and the senate hostile to Turnbull.

Put him in the van.
Old 26th June 2016, 10:41 PM   #307
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Turnbull won't win easily. Nor will Labor win in it's own right. I predict Greens/independents will hold the balance and it's anyone's guess who will be able to negotiate a stable partnership. I think Labor and the Greens will be the biggest faction, and whether they convince the probably loony independents is the issue. I can't see the Coalition forming government with the Greens.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2016, 12:05 AM   #308
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Turnbull won't win easily. Nor will Labor win in it's own right.
I can't be bothered digging up links ATM but media reports suggest the repeat of an old story. The Libs will suffer a big swing against it but not in the marginal electorates. It appears that many voters are aware when it is safe to lodge a protest vote (when their electorate is a Labor or Liberal stronghold) and when their vote could lead to a change in government.

Turnbull's miscalculation is that it matters nought in the Senate where Senators in each state are elected by proportional representation. Even if the micro-parties miss out, the "big two" are likely to see their representation reduced by protest voters.
Old 27th June 2016, 01:01 AM   #309
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

The polls are saying a win to the Coalition. The polls are saying that the Labor vote in the marginals are not high enough to get over the line.
I think this election is a big unknown. Maybe the polls will be wrong and the slightly rusted on and swingers will vote for more Indis.
Maybe there will be a big protest vote.
I would like to see a hung parliament, which I think is potentially very democratic.
I would like to see a big representation of non Labor, non Coalition in the senate.

Put him in the van.
Old 27th June 2016, 01:25 AM   #310
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I would like to see a hung parliament, which I think is potentially very democratic.
I would like to see a big representation of non Labor, non Coalition in the senate.
Well I wouldn't. History shows Australia's most economic successful periods in recent decades have been under Hawke/Keating and Howard. Periods of electoral stability and manageable Upper Houses. May just be a coincidence, but I doubt it.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2016, 02:33 AM   #311
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Well I wouldn't. History shows Australia's most economic successful periods in recent decades have been under Hawke/Keating and Howard. Periods of electoral stability and manageable Upper Houses. May just be a coincidence, but I doubt it.
The Drover's Dog could have led Australia successfully in Howard's time due to the rivers of gold flowing from the mining boom. And look what he did with that windfall, middle class welfare and a massive structural deficit in the budget. Plus workchoices when he had control of the senate.
Hawke and Keating had to negotiate their reforms with the opposition.
So I feel a parliament where the party hacks do as they are told, and any crazy extreme right wing or wingnut left legislation gets through. is not the way to go.

Put him in the van.
Old 27th June 2016, 02:49 AM   #312
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yeah, my crystal ball is predicting a big win for the Greens/Independents/Xenophones, just because everyone is so bloody sick and tired of all the crap coming from the two major parties.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 27th June 2016, 03:09 AM   #313
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Yeah, my crystal ball is predicting a big win for the Greens/Independents/Xenophones, just because everyone is so bloody sick and tired of all the crap coming from the two major parties.
What does your spirit guides tell you.

Put him in the van.
Old 27th June 2016, 03:12 AM   #314
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

If this is the case, how do you think a government will be formed? I'm not being cute, it is a serious question.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 27th June 2016, 03:51 AM   #315
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

If this is the case, how do you think a government will be formed? I'm not being cute, it is a serious question.
With difficulty.

Seriously, I have no idea. Smarter people than I will need to make those decisions.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 27th June 2016, 06:13 AM   #316
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Both labor and Coalition if I read what they are saying correct are very dishonest and irresponsible when it comes to a hung parliament.
They both say they will not negotiate with the Greens or Independents.
Well if they don't negotiate they can't govern, and the last thing the electorate wants is another election.

Put him in the van.
Old 28th June 2016, 04:41 AM   #317
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Both labor and Coalition if I read what they are saying correct are very dishonest and irresponsible when it comes to a hung parliament.
They both say they will not negotiate with the Greens or Independents.
Well if they don't negotiate they can't govern, and the last thing the electorate wants is another election.
You are absolutely correct. The negotiations are now underway without doubt.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 28th June 2016, 05:22 AM   #318
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

That's what I would expect.

Both parties are hubrising hard, assuming that they will be able to form a majority government on their own.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 29th June 2016, 01:18 AM   #319
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Been called twice in two days with a machine saying "This is a political opinion poll..." And I am on a do not call register. Not that makes any difference.
Old 29th June 2016, 02:42 AM   #320
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Been called twice in two days with a machine saying "This is a political opinion poll..." And I am on a do not call register. Not that makes any difference.
I am on a do not call as well. But I have been getting many political calls, I am in a swinging seat.

Put him in the van.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics