IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Tony Abbott

Old 29th June 2016, 02:44 AM   #321
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

I think those are actually excluded from that register, but I could be wrong.

Anyone else seen the google doodle today? It's a picture of Eddie Mabo for his 80th birthday.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2016, 04:11 AM   #322
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I was also under the impression that political calls were exempt.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2016, 04:21 AM   #323
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by wombatwal View Post
I am on a do not call as well. But I have been getting many political calls, I am in a swinging seat.
I'm disappointed that I haven't seen any leaders in my locality. I am in the most marginal set in the nation, McEwan. It's always been thus. In the 1980s we saw Bob Hawke in the shopping centre of a nearby hamlet, Diamond Creek, aka **** Creek. Not a sniff of a top poli this time.

I'll happily bet that, regardless of the final result, McEwan will remain Labor. Chris Jermyn is a ****wit. He tried to crash a news conference by Shorten, made a dick of himself and then when questioned about his party's policies, had no clue at all.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...02-gpaer8.html

Quote:
Mr Jermyn was in the media spotlight on the weekend after he crashed a campaign event of Opposition Leader Bill Shorten but then stormed away from journalists who asked about his party's policies.
Turns out he lost investors millions in a useless internet start-up. He also claimed to live in the electorate - on a vacant block of land in the bush of Christmas Hills. This is the best the Libs can do for the most marginal seat in the land? Disgraceful.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2016, 04:41 AM   #324
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I am on a do not call as well. But I have been getting many political calls, I am in a swinging seat.
I am in a safe Labor seat. If this seat ever goes to anyone else then the Labor party is in trouble. Either that or someone as popular as Pauline Hanson is standing.
Old 30th June 2016, 04:20 AM   #325
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I'm disappointed that I haven't seen any leaders in my locality. I am in the most marginal set in the nation, McEwan. It's always been thus. In the 1980s we saw Bob Hawke in the shopping centre of a nearby hamlet, Diamond Creek, aka **** Creek. Not a sniff of a top poli this time.

I'll happily bet that, regardless of the final result, McEwan will remain Labor. Chris Jermyn is a ****wit. He tried to crash a news conference by Shorten, made a dick of himself and then when questioned about his party's policies, had no clue at all.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...02-gpaer8.html

Turns out he lost investors millions in a useless internet start-up. He also claimed to live in the electorate - on a vacant block of land in the bush of Christmas Hills. This is the best the Libs can do for the most marginal seat in the land? Disgraceful.
Get stuffed!

Also, not a hamlet. We have over 12,000 residents.

In any case while Lionking is still in McEwen, Diamond Creek is now part of one of the safest seats in the country, Scullin.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.

Last edited by Damien Evans; 30th June 2016 at 04:21 AM.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2016, 02:30 PM   #326
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Anyway, off to vote soon. Could easily be a hung parliament.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 02:26 AM   #327
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Depending on what channel you watch, Libs look like narrow winners, but an hung parliament is still in play.

Yeah, I know this early call will be punished by those wise after the event.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 2nd July 2016, 03:31 AM   #328
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Go Labor. An upset on the cards.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 2nd July 2016, 04:01 AM   #329
Wildy
Adelaidean

So it looks like one seat is tipped to go to a Xenophon candidate. That's certainly an interesting result.
Old 2nd July 2016, 04:17 AM   #330
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Hung parliament more likely than a Labor win. Libs will probably limp over the line. Turnbull in trouble with the hard right for sure.
Senate will be interesting. Go Greens and Indis, in the senate. Unfortunately Pauline Hanson doing well in QLD, so maybe she will get a senate seat.

Put him in the van.
wombatwal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 04:18 AM   #331
devnull
Philosopher

labor wont win it, but hung parliament is still a possibility.

I think theyre calling some seats a bit early though, I would imagine early/postal votes would be LNP biased quite heavily.
"Here we go again.... semantic and syntactic chicanery and sophistic sleight of tongue and pen.... the bedazzling magic of appearing to be saying something when in fact all that is happening is diverting attention from the attempts at shoving god through the trapdoor of illogic and wishful thinking." - Leumas
devnull is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 04:18 AM   #332
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

At this stage in the night, but still early because of large number of pre votes, Turnbull in trouble, Shorten should be ok. Leadership wise that is.

Put him in the van.
wombatwal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 04:46 AM   #333
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Who will hold the balance of power? Greens or others? Pro-Labor or Pro-Liberal?
Old 2nd July 2016, 04:57 AM   #334
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

For a hung parliament to happen Labor will have to pick up a few more seats. I don't think the other parties can.

Put him in the van.
Old 2nd July 2016, 05:04 AM   #335
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Going on the current state of the house on the ABC election telecast. LNP 73, ALP 67, GRN 1, Other 4. So 5 in doubt. So 3 of those 5 have to go to Labor, or others for a hung parliament.

Put him in the van.
Old 2nd July 2016, 05:41 AM   #336
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Interesting comment from Barrie Cassidy. LNP 74, Labor 71, the rest to Ind, Green, Zenerrers, no one can govern. Thats his most probable outcome. Interesting times.

Put him in the van.
Old 2nd July 2016, 06:52 AM   #337
Wildy
Adelaidean

It'll be interesting. But I think it's clear that Turnbull won't be able to pass the legislation he called this double dissolution for. It's quite amazing to see someone who was considered rather popular to lose so much.

Also I think Leigh Sales and Annabel Crabb have lost it.
Old 2nd July 2016, 11:54 AM   #338
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

How can that **** Turnbull claim victory?

It's not over yet.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 2nd July 2016, 02:32 PM   #339
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

How can that **** Turnbull claim victory?

It's not over yet.
Evidently, Labor will not be able to form government in its own right. The question is whether Turnbull has to head a minority government or if he can get the 76 seats needed to govern in his own right (he's close).

The Senate (the reason for the DD) looks like being a total disaster for Turnbull. (http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-e...esults/senate/) The coalition is unlikely to get more than 28 seats in the Senate - well short of a majority. Other likely results are:
Labor - 25
Greens - 6
Nick Xenophon - 3
Derryn Hinch - 1
Pauline Hanson - 1
Jackie Lambie - 1

With 11 Senate seats still to be decided you can expect quite a few more independents to get elected. There is no way that Turnbull will be able to call a joint sitting to pass his contentious industrial relations bills.

Last edited by psionl0; 2nd July 2016 at 04:11 PM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 02:40 PM   #340
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
It'll be interesting. But I think it's clear that Turnbull won't be able to pass the legislation he called this double dissolution for. It's quite amazing to see someone who was considered rather popular to lose so much.

Also I think Leigh Sales and Annabel Crabb have lost it.
Even if Turnbull gets his majority in the lower house you could be right. The legislation gets passed in the lower house, rejected in the upper, so a joint sitting is held. He may not have a majority in that joint sitting to pass the legislation, so the bills are dead.
Old 2nd July 2016, 02:49 PM   #341
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
Even if Turnbull gets his majority in the lower house you could be right. The legislation gets passed in the lower house, rejected in the upper, so a joint sitting is held. He may not have a majority in that joint sitting to pass the legislation, so the bills are dead.
There won't be a new election for over 12 months, if at all. Turnbull has badly lost his "give me a big majority" appeal, and is no fool. He will lose worse if he calls an election soon.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 2nd July 2016, 03:00 PM   #342
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

The Conservative knives are out already.
Also with internal public turmoil.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...02-gpx6tl.html

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...02-gpx60e.html

Put him in the van.
Old 2nd July 2016, 04:13 PM   #343
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

There won't be a new election for over 12 months, if at all. Turnbull has badly lost his "give me a big majority" appeal, and is no fool. He will lose worse if he calls an election soon.
Old 2nd July 2016, 05:44 PM   #344
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

And so much for the new Senate voting rules being set up to prevent minor parties from getting the power. Good work, whoever did that.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 05:57 PM   #345
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
And so much for the new Senate voting rules being set up to prevent minor parties from getting the power. Good work, whoever did that.
It would have been undemocratic to prevent minor parties who got enough votes from being elected. The aim was to prevent "micro" party candidates from being elected with less than 1% of the primary vote.

Last edited by psionl0; 2nd July 2016 at 06:17 PM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2016, 07:16 PM   #346
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
It would have been undemocratic to prevent minor parties who got enough votes from being elected. The aim was to prevent "micro" party candidates from being elected with less than 1% of the primary vote.
You are likely to get fewer parties in, but these parties have more senators. The result would be almost the same number of minor party members. In fact could even be more as the quota is only half what it is normally.

If they really wanted to reduce the number of minor party members they need to have a rule that says a candidate needs a certain % (say close to to a quota) of first preferences otherwise they are eliminated.
Old 2nd July 2016, 09:56 PM   #347
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

If they really wanted to reduce the number of minor party members they need to have a rule that says a candidate needs a certain % (say close to to a quota) of first preferences otherwise they are eliminated.
I'm sure that the big two would like nothing better than to keep third parties out but it would be too difficult to sell.

Had Turnbull tried to introduce minimum quotas for election to the Senate, Labor would in all probability have sided with the independents to inflict an embarrassing defeat of the bill. It could then campaign in the subsequent election that the LNP was "power hungry and anti-democratic".

Ditto if a future Labor government tried the same thing.

Last edited by psionl0; 2nd July 2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 2nd July 2016, 10:11 PM   #348
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Can we forcibly give Queensland independence just so Pauline Pantsdown doesn't get to sit in parliament?
Old 2nd July 2016, 10:27 PM   #349
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Are you sure? On ABC radio this morning it was noted that Malcolm was shouty in his victory speech, and he is not really in a place where he should be shouty.
Old 2nd July 2016, 10:52 PM   #350
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
Are you sure? On ABC radio this morning it was noted that Malcolm was shouty in his victory speech, and he is not really in a place where he should be shouty.
Well he shouldn't even be making a victory speech. But he won't be stupid enough to go to another election soon.

I'm intrigued by the reaction of the Coalition and Labor. Labor's spin "we don't know the winner, but the only sure loser is Turnbull", while obvious, is nevertheless brilliant. The Coalition's approach is to whinge about "Medicare lies". This is at once pathetic and hilarious. Lies in election campaigns? Bugger me, who'd have thought.

But even so there was an element of truth in Labor's focus on Medicare. The Coalition, at heart, hates Medicare and compulsory superannuation, but knows how these iconic Labor initiatives are wildly popular. So they are trying the death by a thousand cuts technique. Freeze Medicare rebates and freeze increases in superannuation employer contributions.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 3rd July 2016, 12:50 AM   #351
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

On the Australian Electoral Commission web site http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseDefault-20499.htm They have.
LNP 64 seats with 3 close.
ALP 69 seats with 2 close
With 7 not decided.
Going on those numbers LNP cannot form government on their own, but Labor can. What am I missing?

Put him in the van.
Old 3rd July 2016, 12:57 AM   #352
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

On the Australian Electoral Commission web site http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseDefault-20499.htm They have.
LNP 64 seats with 3 close.
ALP 69 seats with 2 close
With 7 not decided.
Going on those numbers LNP cannot form government on their own, but Labor can. What am I missing?
Christ I hope that's right, but it doesn't gel with other forecasts.

Libs have their faith in postal votes. They have always favoured them because "only the rich holiday away from home". This is no longer the case.

Still down to the line.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 3rd July 2016, 01:20 AM   #353
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Christ I hope that's right, but it doesn't gel with other forecasts.

Libs have their faith in postal votes. They have always favoured them because "only the rich holiday away from home". This is no longer the case.

Still down to the line.
It isn't a forecast at all. That is the official count based on current vote tallies. Labor ahead in 71, with 2 of those close, LNP ahead in 67 with 3 of those close, Greens, Katter and Xenophon ahead in one each and 2 independents ahead, and 7 seats too close to call a candidate ahead. I say ahead because even the most safe seats haven't been officially declared yet, and won't be until early votes and postal votes are counted.
Old 3rd July 2016, 01:27 AM   #354
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
It isn't a forecast at all. That is the official count based on current vote tallies. Labor ahead in 71, with 2 of those close, LNP ahead in 67 with 3 of those close, Greens, Katter and Xenophon ahead in one each and 2 independents ahead, and 7 seats too close to call a candidate ahead. I say ahead because even the most safe seats haven't been officially declared yet, and won't be until early votes and postal votes are counted.
Christ, pedantry plus.

So who do you think will win most seats? Do you think postal votes will make a difference?

It would be more productive if you stopped attacking me and posted your own opinions. I'm not counting on it.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 3rd July 2016, 02:04 AM   #355
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Just been looking at the all important Senate results. They appear to be
Liberals / National = 28
ALP = 25
Greens = 6
Nick Xenophon Team = 3
Others 3.
Source = http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-e...esults/senate/

This means that if the Liberals win they need 5 independants to pass any legislation.

Last edited by rjh01; 3rd July 2016 at 02:06 AM.
rjh01 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2016, 02:08 AM   #356
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

It would be more productive if you stopped attacking me and posted your own opinions.
That appeared to be a valid opinion of the AEC web site to me.
Old 3rd July 2016, 02:10 AM   #357
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
That appeared to be a valid opinion of the AEC web site to me.
A bit of history.

Sorry Damien. I withdraw.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 3rd July 2016, 04:43 AM   #358
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Christ, pedantry plus.

So who do you think will win most seats? Do you think postal votes will make a difference?

It would be more productive if you stopped attacking me and posted your own opinions. I'm not counting on it.

Where did that come from
Old 3rd July 2016, 05:35 PM   #359
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Just been looking at the all important Senate results. They appear to be
Liberals / National = 28
ALP = 25
Greens = 6
Nick Xenophon Team = 3
Others 3.
Source = http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-e...esults/senate/

This means that if the Liberals win they need 5 independants to pass any legislation.
If you are going to plagiarize my post then you might as well go all the way and include the information that 11 seats are still to be decided.

ETA Assuming that the coalition doesn't get more than 28 seats, they will need an extra 11 votes in the Senate to get a bill passed. (There are 76 Senators in total).

Last edited by psionl0; 3rd July 2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 3rd July 2016, 07:21 PM   #360
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

It looks like Labor has a better than even chance of forming a minority government. The Greens will surely side with them, leaving as few a two independents it needs to convince/bribe to support them. The Coalition would need something like 6.

And don't forget, the Nationals need to formally commit to the Coalition after the poll is decided. The concessions they will try to get out of a desperate Turnbull, should he get over the line, will be a sight to see.

Plus who will be Speaker?. It would be wonderful if there was another Slipper that Labor could convince to don the robes (and pocket the ridiculous $300k+).

Sir Winston Churchill

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics