IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Tony Abbott

Old 7th October 2016, 11:10 PM   #561
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
The ABC's Promise Tracker, is an interesting tool.

Since the 2013 election, the Coalition has broken 24% of their election promises, 10% are stalled.
38% have been delivered as promised and the remaining 27% are in progress.

Labor though, does markedly worse on their 2016 election promises than the Coalition.
You may be right, but I will bet Turnbull does not contest the next election. I was right about Abbott.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2016, 02:18 AM   #562
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

Can you believe the carry on by the Government in Parliament this week.
We have old jellyback Turnbull unable to fully deny anything in case he upsets the right of his party.
We have the ex PM Abbott denying he did a deal with Leyonhjelm when he was PM. Even thought there are emails to the contrary.
We then had Jellyback agree that a deal was done and the PMs office knew about it, but it is now off.
The ex PM then castigating Labor for bringing this up. It is like the old Fawlty Towers episode where Basil was telling the spoon salesman to shut up but claims he was talking to Polly and looking at him.
So Abbott was talking to Turnbull but looking at Labor. Unbelievable.
How long has Jellyback got?

Put him in the van.
wombatwal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2016, 02:19 AM   #563
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Not long I believe.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2016, 03:48 AM   #564
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I think thee Liberals will have problems trying to replace Turnbull. He replaced one leader who was a failure. Now to admit he too is a failure would be very hard. I suggested he will last election is held in a government electrete. Then the government loses its majority and a general election is held.
Old 20th October 2016, 04:48 AM   #565
wombatwal
Graduate Poster

I think this explains it.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Put him in the van.
wombatwal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2016, 03:44 AM   #566
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Furthermore, being ousted and then re-backstabbing his ouster is exactly what he said he would never do, when he stood against Kevin Rudd.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th October 2016, 07:34 PM   #567
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I suggested he will last election is held in a government electrete. Then the government loses its majority and a general election is held.
Far from talking about polarized dielectric materials (electret - the closest word I could find to electrete in Google), I surmise that you are predicting that the government will last until the next by-election (in a coalition held seat).

However, I doubt that Turnbull would call an election that he would almost certainly lose before he has to (although I have been right about his ego in the past). He only just scraped through the last one and his ratings have fallen since then.

More likely he will struggle along in a minority government for as long as possible (and bleat about an "obstructionist" opposition all the while). If he can do a deal with one of the independents then he can be safe from censure motions or the defeat of the budget.
Old 6th December 2016, 01:08 AM   #568
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

From my hero to **** bloke list in 5 seconds.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...47e9a4b8d937ff

**** you, Dick.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2016, 01:10 AM   #569
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post

**** you, Dick.
I get the Murdoch firewall. Do you have another link?

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 6th December 2016, 01:12 AM   #570
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

**** you, Dick.
He must be going senile
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2016, 01:35 AM   #571
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Plenty of media reporting on it. Cant dind the full video yet but I found Dicks arguments tweeted by the Drum to be inane.

https://twitter.com/abcthedrum/statu...26261952770048
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th December 2016, 01:41 AM   #572
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Plenty of media reporting on it. Cant dind the full video yet but I found Dicks arguments tweeted by the Drum to be inane.

https://twitter.com/abcthedrum/statu...26261952770048
Thanks. Unlike you, I always thought Smith was a ****. He singlehandedly destroyed the Australian electronics industry (yes, it would have happened anyway). He's an idiot of the highest order.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 6th December 2016, 01:48 AM   #573
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I liked the adventurer thing. Loved seeing him doing the dowsing test on TV with Randi. I enjoyed the stores in their old format. I think it was Wooloies that turned them into just another electronic appliance outlet before an equity group plundered what remained, stole from mum and dad investors and pushed it to the edge of a cliff.

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 6th December 2016 at 01:50 AM.
Old 7th December 2016, 12:11 AM   #574
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

So this pathetic government now presides over a shrinking economy. The first dip since the GFC. Naturally Morrison is blaming Labor.

This result is largely due to lack of confidence in the economy by investors. Isn't the government supposed to foster confidence? Lead and inspire?

Turnbull and Co are disgraceful.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 19th December 2016, 05:28 PM   #575
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

One Nation Split

WA Senator Rod Culleton has quit Pauline Hanson's One Nation Party and Pauline Hanson basically said "good riddance".

Sen. Culleton has been a thorn in Pauline's side almost from the moment he took his seat in the Senate. He refused to tow the leaders line and voted his own way on each of the bills that came through the Senate. He also frequently spoke out against Ms Hanson and her party.

When the Senate voted to send him to the High Court to argue that he wasn't in violation of section 44 of the constitution (eligibility to sit in the Senate) Pauline Hanson spoke in favour of the motion even though the Senate hadn't seen the case against him. Obviously, she would rather have a more compliant Senator representing WA.

Sen. Culleton is still waiting for a high court ruling on his eligibility. He is also in the midst of a hearing to determine if he will be made bankrupt. Either case could end his short career in the Senate.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-1...-party/8130848
Old 19th December 2016, 10:31 PM   #576
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I'm having a nagging sense of deja vu...

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2016, 12:30 AM   #577
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I wonder if it is a characteristic of populistic parties to split soon after they get elected? Or is it due to Pauline not knowing that you defend members of your own party? Lessons for other one nation senators?
Old 22nd December 2016, 02:02 AM   #578
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Or is it due to Pauline not knowing .....
That's the definitive answer.
Old 22nd December 2016, 02:48 AM   #579
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Probably does a mean bettered sav.
Old 22nd December 2016, 10:30 PM   #580
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

If anyone is interested I just started a thread over in trials and errors about The Claremont Serial Killings and todays arrest.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:09 PM   #581
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Looking back on the current gutless government, I was reflecting on the achievements of the Hawke government. Unlike now, the economy was precarious. Yet Hawke:

Floated the dollar
Reformed tariffs and reformed industry
Privatised government enterprises (inc Comm Bank)
Introduced Fringe Benefit and Capital Gain taxes
Implemented the Accord
Introduced universal superannuation
Reformed income tax (I was once paying 60% marginal tax, and I'm not rich)
Poured money into public housing, health and education
Introduced the Sex Discrimination and EEO Acts
Got serious about indigenous land rights
Got serious about the environment (Franklin Dam first off)

I'm sure others can add more.

What has the Abbott/Turnbull government's achieved?

Bueller? Anyone?

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:11 PM   #582
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

They've approved a couple of new mines.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:19 PM   #583
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
They've approved a couple of new mines.
I suppose they have also re-established the union witch-hunt Royal Commission. Hasn't that excited public interest.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:06 AM   #584
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Looking back on the current gutless government, I was reflecting on the achievements of the Hawke government. Unlike now, the economy was precarious. Yet Hawke:

Floated the dollar
Reformed tariffs and reformed industry
Privatised government enterprises (inc Comm Bank)
Introduced Fringe Benefit and Capital Gain taxes
Implemented the Accord
Introduced universal superannuation
Reformed income tax (I was once paying 60% marginal tax, and I'm not rich)
Poured money into public housing, health and education
Introduced the Sex Discrimination and EEO Acts
Got serious about indigenous land rights
Got serious about the environment (Franklin Dam first off)

I'm sure others can add more.

What has the Abbott/Turnbull government's achieved?

Bueller? Anyone?
A similar list could be made for other Labor Governments. The most famous one, of course was between 1972-75. Though how true is this of Gillard and Rudd?
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:11 AM   #585
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Culleton bankrupt

Senator Rod Culleton has been ruled bankrupt today by Justice Michael Barker in the Federal court over a $280,000 debt owed to Perth businessman, former Wesfarmers director Dick Lester. The judge has also ordered the seizure of Culleton's estate but stayed the order for 21 days. If this ruling sticks then Culleton must resign from the Senate.

There was never any prospect of Justice Barker ruling differently. He even refused to order the removal of two men who entered the court in breach of a violence restraining order. Culleton has said that he will appeal.

Who replaces Culleton in the Senate still depends on the High Court ruling on his eligibility to run for Senate due to his conviction in absentia in NSW over a set of car keys. If the High Court rules against Culleton then Culleton's brother in law, Peter Georgiou stands to be elected in his stead. Otherwise, Pauline gets to choose his successor. (I bet she is not so pleased about sending him to the High Court now).

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...b2caee939ea06c

Last edited by psionl0; 23rd December 2016 at 12:12 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:12 AM   #586
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

A similar list could be made for other Labor Governments. The most famous one, of course was between 1972-75. Though how true is this of Gillard and Rudd?
I'm talking about Abbott/Turnbull. I was disappointed with Rudd/Gillard, but NDIS alone trumps all the current jerks have done.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:14 AM   #587
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Senator Rod Culleton has been ruled bankrupt today by Justice Michael Barker in the Federal court over a $280,000 debt owed to Perth businessman, former Wesfarmers director Dick Lester. The judge has also ordered the seizure of Culleton's estate but stayed the order for 21 days. If this ruling sticks then Culleton must resign from the Senate.

There was never any prospect of Justice Barker ruling differently. He even refused to order the removal of two men who entered the court in breach of a violence restraining order. Culleton has said that he will appeal.

Who replaces Culleton in the Senate still depends on the High Court ruling on his eligibility to run for Senate due to his conviction in absentia in NSW over a set of car keys. If the High Court rules against Culleton then Culleton's brother in law, Peter Georgiou stands to be elected in his stead. Otherwise, Pauline gets to choose his successor. (I bet she is not so pleased about sending him to the High Court now).

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...b2caee939ea06c
A train wreck.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:17 AM   #588
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

A train wreck.
It seems to me that the constitution is working as it should.
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:37 AM   #589
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Agreed

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd December 2016, 03:33 PM   #590
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I think lionking was referring to the One Nation party as a train wreck.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 23rd December 2016, 06:11 PM   #591
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I think lionking was referring to the One Nation party as a train wreck.
Probably but this is nothing new. Upstart parties often have problems with in-fighting once any of their members get elected.
Old 23rd December 2016, 10:23 PM   #592
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Probably but this is nothing new. Upstart parties often have problems with in-fighting once any of their members get elected.
Far, far too charitable. The party didn't even screen Culleton. To pre-select someone with two possible grounds for disqualification is not down to bad luck or inexperience. It's utter incompetence.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 23rd December 2016, 10:25 PM   #593
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

To pre-select someone with two possible grounds for disqualification is not down to bad luck or inexperience. It's utter incompetence.
You were expecting something better from Pauline Hanson?
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:08 PM   #594
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Far, far too charitable. The party didn't even screen Culleton. To pre-select someone with two possible grounds for disqualification is not down to bad luck or inexperience. It's utter incompetence.
That does beg the question how can you screen a person for this? Imagine he was an otherwise decent human standing for one of the major parties. A person can have a debt and be able to show that it can be repaid. Then six months later the situation changes and the person who is owed the money thinks the debt cannot be repaid.
As for his criminal conviction, that appears to have been a misunderstanding of some sort. It has been squashed. Again hard to screen for.

I do admit he probably was stupid to have got himself in those situations. But that is not the point.
Old 23rd December 2016, 11:24 PM   #595
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I do admit he probably was stupid to have got himself in those situations.
Culleton's debt related to a failed busines deal between his company and Dick Lester's company which cost Lester's company $200,000 in lost rent. Somehow the corporate veil was pierced and Culleton was held personally liable for this loss.

Details are sketchy now but it appears that Culleton's abysmal company record keeping and his tendency to rely on FOTL defences contributed to him being made personally liable.
Old 25th December 2016, 04:10 PM   #596
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

To be fair, she is not exactly inexperienced.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 8th January 2017, 03:25 AM   #597
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

One nation loses another one

To be fair, she is not exactly inexperienced.

Pauline Hanson has had to shed another candidate. This time it's Shan Ju Lin over some anti-gay remarks made on facebook:
Quote:
Ms Lin was dumped on Saturday night after a number of Facebook posts, including saying that "gays should be treated as patients" and "abnormal sex behaviour leads to abnormal crime".

In another post, Ms Lin mocked outgoing US President Barack Obama's LGBTI policies using a digitally manipulated picture of him in drag.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-0...ju-lin/8168388

So, experienced or not, Pauline Hanson isn't learning.
Old 9th January 2017, 11:20 AM   #598
Wildy
Adelaidean

I don't know what I find stranger in that story, that One Nation had a candidate who was Asian or that the party is pro-lgbt.
Old 9th January 2017, 07:04 PM   #599
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

It's all a socialist plot.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-pol...09-gto8q6.html

Quote:

"But let's understand that there are people out there who wish to destroy free enterprise and those who stick up for it. Whereas socialism, which is always on the march, if you expose it, it can be defeated. And be under no illusions, whenever you see some of these arguments come to the fore, there will always be an ideological component," the former member for Mackellar told Sky News.

"But what's this got to do with socialism?" pressed host Laura Jayes.

"A lot, a lot. Socialists will always blame anyone but themselves."
I would test this with my irony meter but the explosion could hurt innocent people in a ten kilometer radius.

If you wanted to blame someone for this you might start with who leaked the information to The Australian and who would benefit from the leak. The Australian is already running a story about a former health minister whose name starts with Tony waiting in the wings for a place in cabinet.

Last edited by a_unique_person; 9th January 2017 at 07:07 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2017, 07:13 PM   #600
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
It's all a socialist plot.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-pol...09-gto8q6.html

I would test this with my irony meter but the explosion could hurt innocent people in a ten kilometer radius.

If you wanted to blame someone for this you might start with who leaked the information to The Australian and who would benefit from the leak. The Australian is already running a story about a former health minister whose name starts with Tony waiting in the wings for a place in cabinet.
Great CT. I hope you are right.

Sir Winston Churchill

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics