IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Australia elections , Australia politics , Julie Bishop , Malcolm Turnbull , Tony Abbott

Old 21st October 2018, 11:10 PM   #1761
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Feel free to tell us what the "uninventive reading" says.
Man did what he promised to do. Right Wing chuckleheads chucked a tantrum over him keeping his promise.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2018, 11:25 PM   #1762
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Man did what he promised to do. Right Wing chuckleheads chucked a tantrum over him keeping his promise.
That's not uninventive, it's uninformative.
Old 22nd October 2018, 04:30 PM   #1763
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

That's the point. "Man did what he promised to do" doesn't make for good manufactured controversy.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2018, 05:50 AM   #1764
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
That's the point. "Man did what he promised to do" doesn't make for good manufactured controversy.
It doesn't make for the truth either. Turnbull totally capitulated to the demands of the hard right (especially in regards to power generation) and they rolled him anyway.
Old 23rd October 2018, 04:42 PM   #1765
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

It doesn't make for the truth either. Turnbull totally capitulated to the demands of the hard right (especially in regards to power generation) and they rolled him anyway.
But he also said that if he lost the spill motion he would retire and not recontest his electorate. Which is what he did, and which is what we are referring to. Yes, he was totally a puppet of the hard right of the party. Now he's gone, they'll have to find a new puppet. But he did what he said he was going to do.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2018, 01:59 AM   #1766
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

But he also said that if he lost the spill motion he would retire and not recontest his electorate.
Is that what this is all about? Nothing to do with his prime ministership?
Old 24th October 2018, 04:03 PM   #1767
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Is that what this is all about? Nothing to do with his prime ministership?
Since it's basically in response to

...He could have still chosen to appear to be the statesman by quietly sitting on the back bench until the next election. He could have dedicated the remainder of his time to looking after the interests of his electorate and helping his successor win the seat at the next election. However, the interests of the Liberal Party and the Liberal government was irrelevant to him. It was always about Malcolm Turnbull.

Goodbye and **** off!
I'm going to say yes.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 24th October 2018, 08:46 PM   #1768
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I thought it was in response to
Turnbull had it all his way when he toppled Tony Abbott. Unfortunately, his ego lead him to believe that in spite of the polls, he could personally not only increase his majority in the House of Representatives but also get a majority in the Senate (or at least, diminish the influence of the Greens).

As history has shown, he was seriously mistaken. Instead, he had to bow to the hard right and abandon his own agenda. In the end, his tongue browning wasn't enough.
Old 24th October 2018, 08:49 PM   #1769
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I don't think Damien Evans' comment makes sense if interpreted as a response to that part of your post. It does make sens as a response to the last part. But I suppose only Damien Evans can definitively clarify which part of your post he was responding to. If he cares to, which he might not.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 24th October 2018, 10:03 PM   #1770
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

I don't think Damien Evans' comment makes sense if interpreted as a response to that part of your post. It does make sens as a response to the last part. But I suppose only Damien Evans can definitively clarify which part of your post he was responding to. If he cares to, which he might not.
I would have thought that "inventive reading of events" applied to the entire post.
Old 24th October 2018, 10:06 PM   #1771
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I would have thought that "inventive reading of events" applied to the entire post.
I suppose it would be possible to come to that conclusion.

Three Word Story Wisdom

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics