IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , donald trump , protest incidents , Trump controversies , Washington DC incidents

Old 22nd January 2021, 10:47 AM   #2761
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

My wife played his monologue from last night while I was exercising. Tolkien indeed showed up!
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:02 PM   #2762
No Other
Muse

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
So, is it your supposition that military and former military are less likely to have been equally represented among those who were not charged? Is that an assertion to support the military? Have you thought that through?
No, I never said anything close to that. I was correcting an obvious error in the summation that the Poster gave about the article.
No Other is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:56 PM   #2763
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
What I think I like most about this is the statement in the footnote that "The rightful King of Gondor had abandoned the throne." Not only did they cite Tolkein as a legal precedent, they got the precedent wrong.

Dave
OTOH Aragorn's ancestors, being the descendants of the first King of Gondor's brother, had a legitimate claim to the throne for centuries after the last King died and chose not to pursue it. So it's sort of true.
Old 22nd January 2021, 02:33 PM   #2764
rdaneel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Another emergency lawsuit requesting the US governement be placed in "stewardship" citing as legal precedent <checks notes> Lord Of The Rings.

https://twitter.com/questauthority/s...27169109762048
You know, there's this webcomic I read called PvP, and there's a minor character named Oliver Smoot. A complete parody of a lawyer, and I always thought no real lawyer could be that stupid.

The past three months have been an incredible eye opener.
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 02:37 PM   #2765
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by No Other View Post
No, I never said anything close to that. I was correcting an obvious error in the summation that the Poster gave about the article.
So as presumably those in who accessed the Capitol building were the most serious about seditioning, we can say that folk with a military history are overrepresented when looking at the more serious population?

The ones outside, we do not know.
Old 22nd January 2021, 02:57 PM   #2766
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rdaneel View Post
You know, there's this webcomic I read called PvP, and there's a minor character named Oliver Smoot. A complete parody of a lawyer, and I always thought no real lawyer could be that stupid.

The past three months have been an incredible eye opener.
Pvp is still going?
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:22 PM   #2767
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Today's dimwit traitor first made a national ass of himself for defying covid restrictions:

https://finance.yahoo.com/finance/ne...215227602.html

And today he's looking at a serious timeout:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/page/file/1359221/download

Just keeps getting better and better. Go feds!

Laughing my ass off as Trump's brown shirts are rounded up, one by one.
TJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:30 PM   #2768
rdaneel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
Pvp is still going?
Yep, he did a reboot last May, jumped it forward a little over a decade and made Brent's daughter Katie the central character.

http://pvponline.com/comic
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:26 PM   #2769
marting
Master Poster

You can't make this stuff up.

Dr. Simone Gold, one of the "America's Front Line Doctors" of HCQ "fame" was one of the Capitol stormers and was arrested shortly after giving this speech:

https://www.facebook.com/Covid19trut...n=1&glossary=1

Interesting mix of a few facts, a lot of distortions, and some outright drivel. It was, however, delivered with passion to an audience that wants to believe her.

Gold, who founded America’s Frontline Doctors last spring with help from the Tea Party Patriots organization, was arrested on Monday in Beverly Hills, where she lives, and faces charges of entering a restricted building, violent entry and disorderly conduct.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ntline-doctors

“She and her organization show a wilful ignorance of science and the scientific method, as well as a disrespect for accomplished scientific institutions and brilliant scientists,” said Dr Jeffrey Koplan, an epidemiologist and vice president for Global Health at Emory University who used to head the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Old Yesterday, 12:20 AM   #2770
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by marting View Post
You can't make this stuff up.

Dr. Simone Gold, one of the "America's Front Line Doctors" of HCQ "fame" was one of the Capitol stormers and was arrested shortly after giving this speech:

https://www.facebook.com/Covid19trut...n=1&glossary=1

Interesting mix of a few facts, a lot of distortions, and some outright drivel. It was, however, delivered with passion to an audience that wants to believe her.

Gold, who founded America’s Frontline Doctors last spring with help from the Tea Party Patriots organization, was arrested on Monday in Beverly Hills, where she lives, and faces charges of entering a restricted building, violent entry and disorderly conduct.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ntline-doctors

“She and her organization show a wilful ignorance of science and the scientific method, as well as a disrespect for accomplished scientific institutions and brilliant scientists,” said Dr Jeffrey Koplan, an epidemiologist and vice president for Global Health at Emory University who used to head the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Simone Gold, MD, JD

Another one of these people who you wonder how they possibly got their degrees.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:48 AM   #2771
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Simone Gold, MD, JD

Another one of these people who you wonder how they possibly got their degrees.
A friend of mine is a full professor at the local university. What he hates most in his job are dumb, hard-working grad students. Smart, hard-working ones go on to do great things, smart lazy ones generally do ok but the wasted potential is a shame. Dumb and lazy ones just disappear eventually without csusing trouble, but the dumb hard-working ones cause a huge amount of work that you know will not lead anywhere.

So maybe they just gave the degrees to get rid of her.
Old Yesterday, 03:02 AM   #2772
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

There's a meme going around which, loosely paraphrased, reads: "Trump didn't pardon a single Trump supporter who invaded the Capitol. He did pardon Steve Bannon, who stole money from Trump supporters. Do you get it now?"
Old Yesterday, 06:15 AM   #2773
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
A friend of mine is a full professor at the local university. What he hates most in his job are dumb, hard-working grad students. Smart, hard-working ones go on to do great things, smart lazy ones generally do ok but the wasted potential is a shame. Dumb and lazy ones just disappear eventually without csusing trouble, but the dumb hard-working ones cause a huge amount of work that you know will not lead anywhere.

So maybe they just gave the degrees to get rid of her.
https://twitter.com/garius/status/11...421760512?s=20

good twitter thread about this

https://twitter.com/garius/status/11...474366978?s=20

Quote:
John Bull
@garius
Replying to
@garius
Anyway, there's not really a point to this thread. I just find it weirdly appropriate (given the time we live in) that the best description of Theresa May's leadership style is by Hammerstein, the FIRST General to spot the insidious rise of fascism, and what it would cost Germany

5:22 PM · Apr 2, 2019·Twitter Web Client
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM   #2774
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

And another one bites the dust...and another one's down and another one's down...and another one bites the dust!

Quote:
DOJ charges Texas man who participated in the Capitol attack -and posted online death threats against AOC & a US Capitol Police officer.

Garret Miller of Texas faces five criminal charges including trespassing & making death threats to "assassinate AOC". CNN
https://twitter.com/MichaelArt123/st...626171393?s=20

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM   #2775
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

They are still looking for 'Swedish Scarf Guy'!

https://twitter.com/SeditionHunters/...423307777?s=20

Quote:
Good Saturday afternoon #SeditionHunters, journalists & reporters. Please see this 5th FBI wanted poster w/ hashtag names used by OSINT investigators. These people are wanted for BOTH assault on federal officers & violence at the #CapitolRiots. Search the #name to learn more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EsbxtLvWMAkGy8_.jpg (87.6 KB, 24 views)

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM   #2776
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
They are still looking for 'Swedish Scarf Guy'!

https://twitter.com/SeditionHunters/...423307777?s=20
Rather than the attached pics, a notice:

Attention: please report anyone looking like they crawled out from under a dumpster to your local FBI

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:41 PM   #2777
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Meet Qanon nutjob Kevin Strong, an FAA employee from California who, among other things, believes Q is going to pay for his new truck. He has Q Clearance, after all.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/page/file/1359586/download

TJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM   #2778
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Surprising amount of female CHUDs present (and arrested) at the Capitol - Maybe a CHUD dating service is involved somehow. Take Thelma and Louise here -

https://www.justice.gov/opa/page/file/1359596/download

And confirming what we all pretty much knew, seems there were recreational substances involved.

Quote:
The smoke alarms were going off bc everyone was smoking pot
and then people started drinking
Girls just wanna have fun-un, oh the girls...

Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM   #2779
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Another emergency lawsuit requesting the US governement be placed in "stewardship" citing as legal precedent <checks notes> Lord Of The Rings.

https://twitter.com/questauthority/s...27169109762048
Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
What I think I like most about this is the statement in the footnote that "The rightful King of Gondor had abandoned the throne." Not only did they cite Tolkein as a legal precedent, they got the precedent wrong.

Dave
Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
OTOH Aragorn's ancestors, being the descendants of the first King of Gondor's brother, had a legitimate claim to the throne for centuries after the last King died and chose not to pursue it. So it's sort of true.
...channeling Annie Montrose (portrayed by Kristin Wiig)

"I hate every one of you"
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM   #2780
crescent
Illuminator

Does anybody know the current number of indictments?

Also, I saw this today:

Justice Department, FBI debate not charging some of the Capitol rioters

Quote:
The internal discussions are in their early stages, and no decisions have been reached about whether to forgo charging some of those who illegally entered the Capitol on Jan. 6, according to multiple people familiar with the discussions.
Quote:
Federal officials estimate that roughly 800 people surged into the building, though they caution that such numbers are imprecise, and the real figure could be 100 people or more in either direction.
Quote:
Due to the wide variety of behavior, some federal officials have argued internally that those people who are known only to have committed unlawful entry — and were not engaged in violent, threatening or destructive behavior — should not be charged, according to people familiar with the discussions.
Quote:
....charging people solely with unlawful entry, when they are not known to have committed any other bad acts, could lead to losses if they go to trial.

“If an old man says all he did was walk in and no one tried to stop him, and he walked out and no one tried to stop him, and that’s all we know about what he did, that’s a case we may not win,” one official said.
I don't want to quote too much - but there is also the suggestion of pre-trial diversion programs, which have been used for some cases of mentally ill people jumping White House fences. Also concerns regarding the capacity of the D.C. Federal Court system.

Last of course, is that part of the defense for all of them is that they were only doing what the President told them to do.

Personally, I can see the risk in over-charging people, especially if these go to jury trials. And I want to see them put real effort into the prosecutions of those who who were the worst - who fought with cops or were otherwise violent, who tore down barricades, smashed windows or otherwise vandalized. Even those who did none of that but loudly and vocally encouraged others.

But then I look at the failure to have much success prosecuting the participants of the Bunkerville and Malheur occupations, and I worry about the ability of the feds to actually get convictions - of anybody involved. I mean, the prosecution of the Bundy family and their cohorts was profoundly inept. If letting some of the less active participants go is the cost of actual effective prosecution of the more active participants, then I can get behind that.

I would love to see damn near everybody who entered the building get at least a misdemeanor, but I think that's probably not realistic in our human-perception based jury trials in our justice system.

Last edited by crescent; Yesterday at 03:23 PM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM   #2781
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TJM View Post
Meet Qanon nutjob Kevin Strong, an FAA employee from California who, among other things, believes Q is going to pay for his new truck. He has Q Clearance, after all.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/page/file/1359586/download
I doubt it:
Quote:
Q clearance or Q access authorization is the United States Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance required to access Top Secret Restricted Data, Formerly Restricted Data, and National Security Information, as well as Secret Restricted Data.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM   #2782
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Rather than the attached pics, a notice:

Attention: please report anyone looking like they crawled out from under a dumpster to your local FBI
Probably a good idea to check that they haven't crawled back in too.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM   #2783
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

IANAL but is it possible the states are holding off on Trump charges until after the impeachment trial because it might give Trump an excuse not to testify or maybe it could be used to delay or dismiss the Senate proceedings?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM   #2784
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
I doubt it:
That's regular Q clearance. Not the Top Secret Q clearance no one is allowed to speak about.
Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM   #2785
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

IANAL but is it possible the states are holding off on Trump charges until after the impeachment trial because it might give Trump an excuse not to testify or maybe it could be used to delay or dismiss the Senate proceedings?
That's probably a factor. If he is impeached it would be somewhat easier to arrest him and convict him on State charges.

They also probably want to wait for things to calm down and bit and for the FBI to arrest a lot of the bad guys at the riot and bust up the militant groups before they go hauling him off in cuffs, which could result in further violence.

They have also probably been holding off some parts of their investigations until he is out of office so that they can get statements from government officials without them being under pressure not to talk and so that they can get government documents without him blocking or stalling access to those documents.

They probably also want to coordinate their investigations with Federal officials in the DOJ and want to wait until the new Attorney General and other DOJ officials are in have a chance to get things sorted out.
Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM   #2786
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

It also takes quite a while to actually prepare criminal charges. NY authorities have been investigating Trump's businesses and taxes for years, but there's no indication that they are ready to file anything anytime soon. I don't know if it's realistic to think that Repub-controlled Georgia will press any election interference charges.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM   #2787
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by No Other View Post
Would it be safe to assume the poster’s numbers are actually correct? If not, show your math and the assumptions that would have to be true for the posters numbers to be incorrect.

Thanks

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; Yesterday at 08:59 PM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM   #2788
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
It also takes quite a while to actually prepare criminal charges. NY authorities have been investigating Trump's businesses and taxes for years, but there's no indication that they are ready to file anything anytime soon. I don't know if it's realistic to think that Repub-controlled Georgia will press any election interference charges.
And worth pointing out might be step 1: serve those subpoenas he's been avoiding.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events