IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags presidential pardons

Old 12th January 2021, 02:34 PM   #81
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Why you even want to preserve pardon powers at all? Down with it, I say.
Old 12th January 2021, 03:52 PM   #82
Thor 2
Philosopher

Yes I believe it should be done away with also. It's just something handed down from the time of monarchs, as has been mentioned by others here. I haven't seen a convincing argument in the above posts, that sways me from this view. Why the USA would adopt this when they were thumbing their noses at the British monarchy is strange.
Old 12th January 2021, 04:28 PM   #83
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Why you even want to preserve pardon powers at all? Down with it, I say.
I gave reasons why you might want to have a president with the power to pardon/commute sentences back on the first page.

In the hands of a decent president who uses it wisely, it can be a good thing. However, I recognize that it is prone to abuse, so SOME modifications would be in order... explicitly banning self-pardons, perhaps the ability of congress to over-ride a pardon (perhaps if 2/3rds vote for it).

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 05:00 PM   #84
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I don't think it should be random but I don't see much need for a legal reasoning. Things like, "This old lady has spent enough time in Jail" or "This guy has clearly changed" would generally be fine by me, assuming they're true.
I'd rather hear "this guy was prosecuted and convicted unjustly" as a minimum, and the legal support that the law was not followed or applied unfairly. "This convict seems nice" is not working for me.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 10:19 PM   #85
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I'd rather hear "this guy was prosecuted and convicted unjustly" as a minimum, and the legal support that the law was not followed or applied unfairly. "This convict seems nice" is not working for me.

Well I agree with your final line but have trouble with the first.

Why would a president be able to, with authority, assess that the guy was " prosecuted and convicted unjustly". Does the president have some omnicompetent capability?
Old 13th January 2021, 06:22 AM   #86
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post

Why would a president be able to, with authority, assess that the guy was " prosecuted and convicted unjustly". Does the president have some omnicompetent capability?
No, but he has people who petition cases to him where a travesty has gone down, and he is basically the last hope to right the injustice. Things like a black man getting railroaded by an all-white Southern jury, or a man convicted of murder whose public defender slept through the trial, that kind of thing. Chelsea Manning had her sentence commuted by President Obama on his way out the door.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 08:33 AM   #87
ahhell
Illuminator

Setting aside whether a chief executive of the government should have the pardon power:

My new proposed amendment:
1. The president can not pardon themselves.
2. No pardons between November and February.
3. Pardons shall be issued with the advice and consent of the Senate?
4. The president shall specify the crime for which with pardon is being issued.

That last one is to prevent "I pardon all those guys for who stormed the Capital for anything and everything. May not be necessary.

As to whether or not the president and governors should have the power. I just don't see a problem with it, I just think this current office holder has revealed some issues that just weren't that big a deal until him. Practically, I think it would be much harder to pass an amendment to get rid of it entirely than to just add some reasonable and modest limits.

I'm currently listening to a constitutional scholar who thinks that a self pardon could be unconstitutional and it is certainly impeachable. Also, it appears that there may have been one territorial governor that has pardoned himself in the 19th century.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 08:41 AM   #88
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Reportedly, when lawyers advised Trump that he could not pardon himself, the president decided he wouldn't pardon anyone. Or more accurately, he placed pardons on hold, no doubt dismaying Rudy Giuliani.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 08:44 AM   #89
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Setting aside whether a chief executive of the government should have the pardon power:

My new proposed amendment:
1. The president can not pardon themselves.
2. No pardons between November and February.
3. Pardons shall be issued with the advice and consent of the Senate?
4. The president shall specify the crime for which with pardon is being issued.

That last one is to prevent "I pardon all those guys for who stormed the Capital for anything and everything. May not be necessary.

As to whether or not the president and governors should have the power. I just don't see a problem with it, I just think this current office holder has revealed some issues that just weren't that big a deal until him. Practically, I think it would be much harder to pass an amendment to get rid of it entirely than to just add some reasonable and modest limits.

I'm currently listening to a constitutional scholar who thinks that a self pardon could be unconstitutional and it is certainly impeachable. Also, it appears that there may have been one territorial governor that has pardoned himself in the 19th century.
I think that is a very important point but I would go one step further, there should have to have been a conviction before a pardon can be issued.

Last edited by Darat; 13th January 2021 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Words
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 08:46 AM   #90
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

1. No self pardons.
2. No pardons for direct family members.
3. No pardons for anything you are directly involved in.
4. The President can grant a pardon, but someone else has to propose it first.
5. The pardon can only be for a specific crime that the person has already been convicted of.
6. Accepting the pardon is an admission of guilt of the crime.
7. No pardons during the lame duck period (although honestly the 'lame duck' period needs to go away or be severely shortened anyway)
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 08:48 AM   #91
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Reportedly, when lawyers advised Trump that he could not pardon himself, the president decided he wouldn't pardon anyone. Or more accurately, he placed pardons on hold, no doubt dismaying Rudy Giuliani.
One of the interesting parts about that article is the following quote from reporter Johnathan Karl:
"The president has been warned, David, by some of his lawyers that if he goes ahead and pardons himself, he could be more vulnerable to civil lawsuits, including from some of those injured in the Capitol riot, because a self-pardon would be seen as an admission that he did something wrong that he would need to be pardoned for"

In another thread, some posters were suggesting Trump might try the self-pardon because "what has he got to lose". Well, that's a pretty good indication about what he could lose.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 10:09 AM   #92
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Meh, the pardon power really isn't that sweeping. Mostly its been used sparingly and judiciously and most presidents have had a few late term controversy.

That being said, it should be limited somewhat. At the very least and amendment should clarify that the president can't pardon himself. I don't fault the framers for not thinking that that particular clarification would be needed, nobody else did prior to about 3 years ago.

As I said elsewhere, I think we should also include a congressional ability to overturn a pardon or maybe require congressional approval? Kind of like appointments. Since we're add it, ban pardons between November and February, just to make sure the president and his party can be held accountable for the really bad ones.
We've seen Mitch's abuse of the Senates "Advise and Consent" powers over the last 12 years, so I have concerns there. If we're doing a Constitutional Amendment, anyway, I'd say we should revise that portion to state that Senate be at least required to have a floor vote on every nomination within a reasonable period of time (say 60 days).

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
1. No self pardons.
5. The pardon can only be for a specific crime that the person has already been convicted of.
7. No pardons during the lame duck period (although honestly the 'lame duck' period needs to go away or be severely shortened anyway)
I'm ambivalent about the highlighted. Surely some of the people pardoned are not actually guilty of the crimes they were convicted of? If so, then requiring them to admit guilt seems like kicking them when they're down.
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 01:19 PM   #93
Tommok
Scholar

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
IThe President should not be able to pardon himself, his VP, his administrative appointments (Cabinet, etc) or their immediate families.
Or anyone who has anything to do with him at all. The power is not intended (or should never be meant) to benefit a president personally in even the slightest way. Any remote appearance of that should preclude him from even considering the pardon.

You know, corruption and stuff.
Tommok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 03:33 PM   #94
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

1. No self pardons.
One problem I can see with that...

It eliminates the ability for presidents to issue pardons like when Carter pardoned all Vietnam draft dodgers. I don't think it would be practical to have all all of them arrested.
Quote:
As others have pointed out... the trouble with that one is that it eliminates the chance of a pardon for someone who is truly innocent (e.g. if evidence is found exonerating them.)
Quote:
That one isn't necessarily a bad idea, but it also doesn't bother me that much. I recognize that there may be cases where pardons are morally right but could be politically damaging (e.g. Obama commuting the sentence of Manning...) and thus allowing a president to issue a pardon in the 'lame duck' part of their presidency may sometimes be a good thing.

The caveat is that there are additional safeguards (such as your 'no self pardons', or as another poster suggested, some way for the senate to challenge pardons).

We are Groot - Groot
Old 13th January 2021, 03:35 PM   #95
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

1. No self pardons.
8. No pardon can be pre-emptive. Only for crimes that have been committed and convicted in the past.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:36 PM   #96
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tommok View Post
Or anyone who has anything to do with him at all. The power is not intended (or should never be meant) to benefit a president personally in even the slightest way. Any remote appearance of that should preclude him from even considering the pardon.

Yes, I agree. There should also be an appeal process to overturn any pardon with a significant appearance of self-interest. The standard must be strict.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 07:01 PM   #97
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I expect a few outrageous pardons tc come down any day now just to try to distract from the riots and the impeachment.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 03:00 AM   #98
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I expect a few outrageous pardons tc come down any day now just to try to distract from the riots and the impeachment.
Reports from the White House suggest that staffers are unwilling to fill out the paperwork that would be required for Trump to pardon anybody. If those reports are true, then there will be no more pardons for anybody.
Old 14th January 2021, 08:18 AM   #99
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
8. No pardon can be pre-emptive. Only for crimes that have been committed and convicted in the past.
That is already the case.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 14th January 2021, 08:42 AM   #100
ZirconBlue
Sole Survivor of L-Town

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Then how does Ford's pardon of Nixon work? Or Carter's pardon of draft dodgers?
The numbers look the same on their credit cards.
ZirconBlue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2021, 09:21 AM   #101
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ZirconBlue View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I was referring to the 'crimes committed' part of the previous statement.

In other words, a president can say "I pardon person X for shooting someone yesterday", but they can't say "I pardon person X for shooting someone tomorrow".

Ford's pardon of Nixon was for crimes that occurred previously. He didn't list specific crimes, but they were only for things that occurred in a previous, specific time frame.

(Now, you also mentioned the issue of 'convicted in the past', but since someone already brought up the issue of conviction, I assumed you were referring to the 'commission of crime')

We are Groot - Groot
Old 19th January 2021, 11:49 AM   #102
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Trump's fans on the left (and libertarian right) have been encouraging/bribing him to pardon Assange (and Snowden, to a lesser degree). The implication being that doing so would represent a final revenge on the evil liberals, and in return, Assange fanatics would aggressively campaign to rehabilitate his image as a populist hero. I wonder if he'll do it.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 12:02 PM   #103
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's fans on the left (and libertarian right) have been encouraging/bribing him to pardon Assange (and Snowden, to a lesser degree). The implication being that doing so would represent a final revenge on the evil liberals, and in return, Assange fanatics would aggressively campaign to rehabilitate his image as a populist hero. I wonder if he'll do it.
No way. Assange is nothing but a loose cannon now, who can't help but might hurt Republican branding. Anything released now would likely be from the R administration. Biden's crew is pretty boring. Same for Snowden. Real news is bad news for the political right.

Old 19th January 2021, 02:48 PM   #104
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
No way. Assange is nothing but a loose cannon now, who can't help but might hurt Republican branding. Anything released now would likely be from the R administration. Biden's crew is pretty boring. Same for Snowden. Real news is bad news for the political right.
Why would Trump care about any of that? He couldn't care less for the political right or the Republican party. Assange (and his few remaining loyalists left at Wikileaks) would never distribute anything damaging to Trump... they're in love with him.
Old 19th January 2021, 03:28 PM   #105
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It's 5:30 PM in DC and no pardons yet, as far as I know. Is he waiting til the evening news is over?
Old 19th January 2021, 05:10 PM   #106
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's 5:30 PM in DC and no pardons yet, as far as I know. Is he waiting til the evening news is over?
The CNN chyron says it will be any moment now. But of course, knowing their penchant for keeping viewers on the hook, it could be up to a couple hours from now even if they know exactly when.
Old 19th January 2021, 05:17 PM   #107
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The CNN chyron says it will be any moment now. But of course, knowing their penchant for keeping viewers on the hook, it could be up to a couple hours from now even if they know exactly when.
I'm surprised he is issuing the pardons today and not tomorrow. When we get the list, I'm guessing the audacity of some of those being pardoned will be substantial news.
Old 19th January 2021, 06:02 PM   #108
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Is Joe Exotic on the list?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 06:09 PM   #109
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I'm really curious if Trump issues any pardons for cover. Will there be any African Americans? Will there be anyone who is poor?
Old 19th January 2021, 06:23 PM   #110
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm really curious if Trump issues any pardons for cover. Will there be any African Americans? Will there be anyone who is poor?
He seems to be planning pardons for a few rappers- all of them AA I believe.

Last edited by trustbutverify; 19th January 2021 at 06:31 PM.
Old 19th January 2021, 06:26 PM   #111
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post

Well a lifetime mandatory sentence for a few ounces of marijuana and a scale would be an example of a wrong a POTUS could assess as wrong, times changing and all that.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 06:29 PM   #112
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

We've seen Mitch's abuse of the Senates "Advise and Consent" powers over the last 12 years, so I have concerns there. If we're doing a Constitutional Amendment, anyway, I'd say we should revise that portion to state that Senate be at least required to have a floor vote on every nomination within a reasonable period of time (say 60 days).

I'm ambivalent about the highlighted. Surely some of the people pardoned are not actually guilty of the crimes they were convicted of? If so, then requiring them to admit guilt seems like kicking them when they're down.
Good examples.

I think it's a challenge to write all the "may nots" into the rules because you'll never get it exactly right.

One needs to think in broader strokes.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 06:31 PM   #113
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Tommok View Post

A broader stroke for example would be a pardon obtained through a bribe is null and void.
Old 19th January 2021, 06:31 PM   #114
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Old 19th January 2021, 06:35 PM   #115
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

Showmanship.

He's going back on TV.
Old 19th January 2021, 06:35 PM   #116
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Yes, I agree. There should also be an appeal process to overturn any pardon with a significant appearance of self-interest. The standard must be strict.
As long as there were clear criteria on what constituted a reason, this makes sense.

As for Carter pardoning all draft dodgers, maybe the Congress should advise him to do that. But with all the partisan crap in the last decades I don't think that will work.

Instead a blanket pardon could be defined as an act allowable in limited circumstances such as in cases of wars or something.
Old 19th January 2021, 06:38 PM   #117
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
No- Ford's pardon of Nixon included all possible crimes committed as President- including crimes he had not yet been charged with or convicted of.
Old 19th January 2021, 06:39 PM   #118
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Athyrio View Post
Showmanship.

He's going back on TV.
Imagine if he were still screaming on twitter.
Old 19th January 2021, 06:39 PM   #119
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Reports from the White House suggest that staffers are unwilling to fill out the paperwork that would be required for Trump to pardon anybody. If those reports are true, then there will be no more pardons for anybody.
I saw nothing like that. I did see however a report advisors talked him out of pardoning himself or his family because that would make a conviction on the impeachment a sure thing. That would go with not giving a blanket pardon to the rioters.

The article suggested he wasn't certain to take that advice. But these federal pardons for his corrupt acts set him up for state investigations. And that is a real threat.
Old 19th January 2021, 06:41 PM   #120
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

'Preemptive' meaning pardons for things a person commits after the pardon. IOW it could make a person immune to the law.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics