ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th April 2020, 04:35 PM   #121
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Lots of ships being loaded here in Canberra.

But I was referring to driving a train into a ship, which as I acknowledged a lot of posts ago wasn't what was happening anyway.
OK I'll bite... Erm... Wut?
Old 4th April 2020, 04:38 PM   #122
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Keanu seems to be doing just fine without the franchise.
I dunno. He's seemed a little grumpy in the last three movies I've watched him in...
Old 4th April 2020, 05:01 PM   #123
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Thrilling for me to read as an adult.
Agreed!
Old 4th April 2020, 05:35 PM   #124
Lucian
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige
Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
or, using the more usual understanding of swain, just a very ardent trainspotter?
That's actually the etymology of the word. The boat swain was (and is) the person whose main responsibility is knowledge of and care for the boat itself. I'm thinking it must have started as poking fun at the boat maintenance guy, and evolved into an honorable name for an honorable profession.

"Guy who operates the train" can totally be a train swain in my book.
"Swain" meaning a rustic lover or wooer isn't attested until the 16th century (e.g. Who is Sylvia? What is she? That all our swains commend her). Borrowed from Old Norse sveinn, swain originally meant boy, servant, or laborer. Boatswain appears in late Old English and probably just meant "sailor" or "boatman."
Lucian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 06:03 PM   #125
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

This isn't bad for a train crash.

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...ustralia-video

One man crew on a massive iron ore train had to stop and inspect an issue with one of the wagons. The train took off without him. Now, if they had done a proper risk analysis, maybe it would be cheaper in the long run to have a two man crew.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...to-wrong-train

This how it happened.

Quote:
The report revealed a rail maintenance crew was called to help the driver apply the handbrakes, working from the back of the 2km long train, but they mistakenly applied them to a stationary, empty ore train, which was parked adjacent to the fully laden train.

The braking system that initially stopped the fully-laden train automatically released after an hour, while the driver was still outside.
At about 4.40am, the driver heard air venting from the ore car brakes, and shortly after noticed the train was moving.
The driver tried to radio call the maintenance crew to tell them the brakes had “bled off” but there was no response, the report said.
About 20 minutes later, the driver of the empty ore train contacted controllers advising that the maintenance crew had mistakenly applied handbrakes to his train.
The driver, Peter Frick, was sacked but has since reached a settlement with the company after taking his case to the Fair Work Commission.

An internal investigation by BHP found the incident was the result of “procedural non-compliance by the operator” and “integration issues with the electronically controlled pneumatic braking system”.
“Even if the track support team had have attended the correct train and applied manual brakes, it would not have been enough to stop the roll-away event,” a BHP spokeswoman said in a statement.
BHP’s WA iron ore asset president, Edgar Basto, said the driver had not applied the automatic brake handle to the emergency position before leaving the cab, as required in the operating procedure and in accordance with training provided.
“If the automatic brake handle was in the emergency position as per the operating procedure, the train would not have rolled away,” he said.
Basto said the company had since brought in changes to its procedures to ensure the incident wasn’t repeated.
The report said the runaway train reached a speed of 162km per hour before slowing down to about 128km. It made seven technical recommendations, including amending operating instructions for brake pipe emergencies.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2020, 06:22 PM   #126
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Lucian View Post
"Swain" meaning a rustic lover or wooer
She is as hot as can be and has moss and ivy growing all over her body.
Old 5th April 2020, 06:19 AM   #127
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

One man crew on a massive iron ore train had to stop and inspect an issue with one of the wagons. The train took off without him. Now, if they had done a proper risk analysis, maybe it would be cheaper in the long run to have a two man crew.

This how it happened.
I vaguely recall a movie like this, in which a runaway train needs to be stopped before it smashes into another train full of kids. It was a pretty cheesy movie, but maybe it wasn't so far fetched!

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 09:04 AM   #128
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I vaguely recall a movie like this, in which a runaway train needs to be stopped before it smashes into another train full of kids. It was a pretty cheesy movie, but maybe it wasn't so far fetched!
But could they throw a switch and save the kids from possible death, but certainly kill someone else?
Old 5th April 2020, 09:16 AM   #129
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
But could they throw a switch and save the kids from possible death, but certainly kill someone else?

They could, but the Law of Impossibility of Moral Ambiguity requires there to always be a superior alternative that saves everyone.
Old 5th April 2020, 02:42 PM   #130
Mike!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Yeah, and that "someone else" has just invented the Universal Cancer Cure, but hasn't told anyone about it yet...
Old 5th April 2020, 08:21 PM   #131
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
OK I'll bite... Erm... Wut?
I was being sarcastic

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 09:51 PM   #132
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

This how it happened.
Or maybe it would have been cheaper to have a one man crew.

Who says they didn't do a proper risk analysis?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th April 2020, 10:44 PM   #133
a_unique_person

I do. The dollars saved with a one man crew will never cover for this.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th April 2020, 10:40 AM   #134
catsmate
No longer the 1

This how it happened.
Utterly OT, but any mention of BHP always reminds me of this song.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 04:30 AM   #135
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

30,000 pounds of bananas.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 04:48 AM   #136
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Still not getting it. Train tracks don't end at ships.

Of course, they do! Some of them even end in ships!
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th April 2020, 03:13 PM   #137
Mike!

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Should have took a Taxi.
Old 8th April 2020, 03:39 PM   #138
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
30,000 Pounds of Bananas
Old 9th April 2020, 05:39 AM   #139
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Yup.

There were so many different versions on YouTube of Chapin doing that routine that I just gave up trying to choose and figured I'd leave it up to the reader.

The original studio recording isn't necessarily the best. If you can find one of the live ones where he adds the Donnie and Marie bit into the monologue please post a link. I kept reading about it but I never found one.

And, for the appropriate finish ...

"Harry, it sucks!".

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 9th April 2020 at 05:41 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th April 2020, 09:29 AM   #140
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

In the early 1970's I was part of the "Mormon tubercular choir" and heard him perform it live. Shame about his early death.
Old 10th April 2020, 08:57 AM   #141
Cheetah
Master Poster

Glad you survived.
What do Mormons with TB sound like? Should they really be singing?

Last edited by Cheetah; 10th April 2020 at 08:59 AM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th April 2020, 09:28 AM   #142
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
Glad you survived.
What do Mormons with TB sound like?

Apparently they sound like the audience of a Harry Chapin concert, doing a variation of call and response.

Quote:
Should they really be singing?

There is some disagreement on that point, but it seems mostly to be a sort of "You had to be there." kind of thing.

Old 11th April 2020, 02:38 PM   #143
Elagabalus
Philosopher

The engineer is the person who operates the engine.

Funny how it works like that.
Engineer and ...

https://youtu.be/q7vogL3LL8Q?t=758
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th April 2020, 04:06 PM   #144
a_unique_person

90mph. Keep it running right or it will blow up.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events