IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags laptops

Old 31st March 2015, 08:27 AM   #1
Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor

Laptop shopping!

Gonna replace my old Gateway from '07.
That's right, I run em into the ground. Have been using workarounds to keep the one I have functioning.

So: I'm getting another Windows system. My needs are simple: playing music and videos, and that's about it. I don't need a lot of the bloatware that usually comes on laptops, spreadsheets and so forth.
That probably wouldn't affect price though.

My old laptop has listed 452 gig capacity. The replacement has to have at least that.

Obviously I'm way out of the loop. Fielding all recommendations ASIDE FROM "Buy some stupidly overpriced shiny Apple product for idiots with more money than sense."
Monketi Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2015, 09:04 AM   #2
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I went to the Toshiba site and had mine built to my selected preferences. It probably cost a lot more than just getting one from Best Buy or some such (and I may have been just as satisified with one of those).

I hardly use the new one yet because it has Windows 8 (I have it set to show Desktop instead), but my older one has all the programs on it already and I know exactly where everything is. It's going to take weeks to migrate or re-install to the newer one.

Just make a list of the features you absolutely must have and go from there.
Old 31st March 2015, 09:14 AM   #3
Gawdzilla Sama
121.92-meter mutant fire-breathing lizard-thingy

"Laptop dancing" thread in 5, 4, 3,...
Buying conspiracy books is a voluntary tax on stupid.
Gawdzilla Sama is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2015, 09:20 AM   #4
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Are you sure you need a new laptop and wouldn't be better off with a puppy?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 31st March 2015, 09:34 AM   #5
Joey McGee
Banned

Crackheads + eBay = Mad savings
Joey McGee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2015, 09:46 AM   #6
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Monketey Ghost View Post
My old laptop has listed 452 gig capacity. The replacement has to have at least that.
I'll just note that you can get really cheap storage in the form of USB connected hard drives if you tend to use your laptop at home a lot. Although, most hard drives will be 500g anyway, so that may be a moot point unless you delve into SSDs, which undermine your value proposition.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2015, 11:00 AM   #7
malicus
Graduate Poster

Good for you grandad.

So: I'm getting another Windows system. My needs are simple: playing music and videos, and that's about it. I don't need a lot of the bloatware that usually comes on laptops, spreadsheets and so forth.

Off the top of my head, after researching laptops for my sis last xmas:

i5 processor
4GB RAM
1TB HDD
Intel on board gfx HD4400 (willing to be corrected on this).

In the UK you could aim to get something like that for around 350-400, which likely translates to the same amount of your earth dollars.
malicus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st March 2015, 06:10 PM   #8
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Get Windows 7. Then wait for Windows 10 and install that.

Or put everything you have onto DVDs and buy a DVD player? Buy a smart one and it would even play Youtube!
Old 31st March 2015, 06:11 PM   #9
roger
Penultimate Amazing

Can you explain why you need the drive space and will spend weeks "reinstalling" if all you do is watch videos and play music? I'm not being snarky, it sounds like you have some unstated needs.

If you aren't doing any heavy duty processing/computation, look at something with the new Core M chips. They require no fans, and the result is a silent system if you also have an SSD.

If you plan for another 5-7 years, you may want to buy enough computer to work for that long. Especially if you are interested in the thin and light computers, as things like memory are soldered onto the motherboard, and hence not upgradeable.

Quad HD screens are great, but current software does not support it well now. Some icons are tiny, other software scales the resolution up but poorly, so the image is blurry. In that sense you are better served with a 1920x1080 screen. But in a few years that stuff will be ironed out, and if you are going to live with this laptop for 5-7 years you may be disappointed. Quad HD will make your video viewing experience much better.

SSD drives are the bees knees. In 2.5 format you can get 512GB for $200, so soon it will be free. If you end up buying a computer with a spinning disk you can upgrade in a year or so for next to free, or just do it now and avoid the annoyance.

Does battery life matter to you (those overpriced Macs will run for 12 hours, compared to 4 hours for a cheap Windows laptop)?

Does ruggedness matter to you? For example the thinkpad series are built for the road warrier, and are tough as nails. Also bulky and heavy.

Does weight/size matter? an ultabook typically has very long battery life, is very slim, but often has soldered on components to make that thin size possible.

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir
roger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2015, 03:59 AM   #10
Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor

Originally Posted by roger View Post
Can you explain why you need the drive space and will spend weeks "reinstalling" if all you do is watch videos and play music? I'm not being snarky, it sounds like you have some unstated needs.

If you aren't doing any heavy duty processing/computation, look at something with the new Core M chips. They require no fans, and the result is a silent system if you also have an SSD.

If you plan for another 5-7 years, you may want to buy enough computer to work for that long. Especially if you are interested in the thin and light computers, as things like memory are soldered onto the motherboard, and hence not upgradeable.

Quad HD screens are great, but current software does not support it well now. Some icons are tiny, other software scales the resolution up but poorly, so the image is blurry. In that sense you are better served with a 1920x1080 screen. But in a few years that stuff will be ironed out, and if you are going to live with this laptop for 5-7 years you may be disappointed. Quad HD will make your video viewing experience much better.

SSD drives are the bees knees. In 2.5 format you can get 512GB for $200, so soon it will be free. If you end up buying a computer with a spinning disk you can upgrade in a year or so for next to free, or just do it now and avoid the annoyance.

Does battery life matter to you (those overpriced Macs will run for 12 hours, compared to 4 hours for a cheap Windows laptop)?

Does ruggedness matter to you? For example the thinkpad series are built for the road warrier, and are tough as nails. Also bulky and heavy.

Does weight/size matter? an ultabook typically has very long battery life, is very slim, but often has soldered on components to make that thin size possible.
I think you confused my post with someone else's.
I never said anything about weeks or reinstalling.
All needs stated.

The rest of your reply is helpful, as are all others, with thanks, folks.
Monketi Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2015, 04:06 AM   #11
Wudang
BOFH

I did well with a warehouse deal on amazon uk. Sounds like your needs aren't cutting edge so check end-of-line deals etc
Old 1st April 2015, 04:08 AM   #12
Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
I did well with a warehouse deal on amazon uk. Sounds like your needs aren't cutting edge so check end-of-line deals etc
Yah, hardly cutting edge.
I'm not a gamer. Just a musician.
Old 1st April 2015, 12:57 PM   #13
Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor

After lots of thought...
I'm probably going to buy a notebook style laptop, a big screen TV, and just run my drives through the HDMI hookup.
It seems the best solution.

So now I'm shopping notebook style laptops!
I'm sure I can judiciously get a two year old laptop for pretty cheap. Don't need the latest stuff.
Old 1st April 2015, 01:09 PM   #14
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

WTF is a "notebook style laptop"? Is it something like an "elevator style lift"?
Old 1st April 2015, 01:37 PM   #15
Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
WTF is a "notebook style laptop"? Is it something like an "elevator style lift"?

That was outdated me trying not to sound outdated.
I knew of notebook laptops but didn't know if it was appropriate to refer to all dinky laptops as notebooks.
Old 1st April 2015, 01:45 PM   #16
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

That was outdated me trying not to sound outdated.
I knew of notebook laptops but didn't know if it was appropriate to refer to all dinky laptops as notebooks.

I think these terms are synonymous. Maybe you meant "netbook".

Seriously, is there anything really out of order with your current thing? If it's just slow or the software is a mess, you should really try it with what I recommended in my first post in this thread.

In addition, as others have said external hard drives are dirt cheap these days.
Old 1st April 2015, 02:52 PM   #17
Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
I think these terms are synonymous. Maybe you meant "netbook".

Seriously, is there anything really out of order with your current thing? If it's just slow or the software is a mess, you should really try it with what I recommended in my first post in this thread.

In addition, as others have said external hard drives are dirt cheap these days.
My current laptop is seven years old and failing. I've had to use a logon workaround for months, some shortcuts no longer work reliably or at all, mouse functions are different every day, sometimes she doesn't boot up unless I coax her. Nearly toast.

But nice as your suggestion is, I'm not going to use a new OS.
I simply need a Windows notebookorwhatever that's not so recent that it hasn't dropped in price.

And since I don't own a tv, I may as well set my thing up in a way that integrates a few components. That way my computer is still portable.
So I'm going to buy a sensibly priced notebookorwhatever, an external drive for backup to the one I already have, and a big screen teevee.

Last edited by Monketi Ghost; 1st April 2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 1st April 2015, 03:00 PM   #18
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

My current laptop is seven years old and failing. I've had to use a logon workaround for months, some shortcuts no longer work reliably or at all, mouse functions are different every day, sometimes she doesn't boot up unless I coax her. Nearly toast.

All sounds like a messed-up OS nobody took care of. What I suggested is to download a 100MB file for free, burn it to a CD (as an .iso), boot your computer from it and see if the "commercial" promised too much. It barks when it's ready.

Anyway, good luck with your shopping.
Old 1st April 2015, 07:02 PM   #19
fuelair
Banned

That's right, I run em into the ground. Have been using workarounds to keep the one I have functioning.

Obviously I'm way out of the loop. Fielding all recommendations ASIDE FROM "Buy some stupidly overpriced shiny Apple product for idiots with more money than sense."
Go for at least a TB of memory if you can!!! Many now have two.......
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st April 2015, 07:38 PM   #20
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

How can you people say these things about laptops?
Old 2nd April 2015, 12:52 AM   #21
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Go for at least a TB of memory if you can!!! Many now have two.......
You mean storage? For memory 4GB seems to be standard these days.

Notebook/laptop http://computer.howstuffworks.com/no...-mobile-pc.htm
Old 2nd April 2015, 07:59 AM   #22
Dessi
Species Traitor

NewEgg is a good place to start, and it's search functionality is detailed enough that you can find the exact laptop for your needs.

Since you're just browsing the Internet, I suggest looking for a laptop with at least 4 GB RAM, at least 500 GB hard drive space, at least 14" screen, and Intel Core i5 processor or better.

Also make sure you read reviews on your laptop, and make sure it has all of the ports you need (HDMI, USB, etc). Definitely consider refurbished laptops too.

Here's a few laptops I found which might fit your needs, with my personal recommendation noted with a smiley:

Refurbished Dell Latitude E6420:
 PriceCPUHDDRAMScreen SizeOS
 $290Intel Core i5 2.5 GHz750 GB4 GB14"Win7 Pro x64
 $310Intel Core i5 2.5 GHz750 GB6 GB14"Win7 Pro x64
$320Intel Core i5 2.5 GHz500 GB4 GB15.6"Win7 Pro x64
 $340Intel Core i5 2.5 GHz1000 GB4 GB14"Win7 Pro x64
 $360Intel Core i7 2.7 GHz500 GB4 GB14"Win7 Pro x64

If you don't like refurbished laptops, Acer Aspire laptops are very good:
 $310Intel Celeron 1.83 GHz x4500 GB4 GB14"Win8.1 x64
$350Intel Celeron 2.16GHz x4500 GB4 GB15.6"Win8.1 x64
 $373Intel Pentium 1.70 GHz x4500 GB4 GB15.6"Win7 Home Premium x64
 $398Intel Pentium 2.40GHz x4500 GB4 GB17.3"Win7 Home Premium x64
 $400Intel Pentium 2.16GHz x4500 GB4 GB14"Win8.1 x64

Asus also makes a nice inexpensive laptop:
$320Intel Baytrail 2.16 GHz x2500 GB4 GB15.6"Win8.1 x64

If you don't mind spending a lot of money, I would recommend:

NamePriceCPUHDDRAMScreen SizeOSNotes
ASUS X555$793Intel Core i7 2.0GHz1000 GB8 GB15.6"Win8.1 x64Good specs, this laptop will hold on to it's quality for a long time
Lenovo U530$989Intel Core i7 2.0GHz1000 GB8 GB15.6"Win8.1 x64Has an NVidia graphics card, allowing 1920x1080 resolution, better than the laptops above. Touchscreen adds about $200 to the price of this laptop.
MSI GS60$1100Intel Core i7 2.5GHz1000 GB8 GB15.6"Win8.1 x64Decent gaming laptop for the price
Gigabyte P35$2139Intel Core i7 2.6GHz1000 GB HDD / 128 GB SDD16 GB15.6"Win 8.1 x64Gaming laptop with exceptional specs, but you could build a better gaming PC for the same price
Old 5th April 2015, 04:05 PM   #23
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
I have the equivalent to the one in Dessi's first table, the one with the emoticon.

It's about three years old and has had only one problem, the hard disk failed about 15 months ago. Unfortunately, it was out of warranty by then. My local computer repair shop replaced it. Hardware and labor together were about $125.

Even with that extra expense, I think I got a good deal.

For backup, I bought a Western Digital Elements 1TB drive from Newegg for under $60. (I deleted the backup software that was on the drive and wrote a robocopy.bat file to copy only the files I want.)
Old 5th April 2015, 04:37 PM   #24
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Quitter! I just replaced my '05 laptop. Got me one of them there newfangled 2 in 1 thingamajigs

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-11...11-3147-laptop

Primarily to work with my digital camera (has a wireless tethering app). Heck they threw in a free 7" tablet as well.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet