IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Doctors Without Borders , Paul Foreman , Sudan incidents

Old 30th May 2005, 01:48 PM   #1
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Sudan doesn't like Doctors Without Borders

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4593443.stm

Quote:
Sudan charges MSF man over report

The head of the Dutch wing of Medecins San Frontieres (MSF) has been charged with crimes against the Sudanese state over a report on rape in Darfur.

Paul Foreman was arrested on Monday and later released on bail.

The state crime prosecutor said Mr Foreman had failed to hand over evidence on which the report was based. The charity says it is confidential.

At least they released him on bail.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2005, 03:49 PM   #2
kimiko
Muse

Here's the report:
http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org...05/sudan03.pdf
kimiko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2005, 05:08 PM   #3
Elind
Philosopher

Re: Sudan doesn't like Doctors Without Borders

Quote:
Originally posted by Mycroft
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4593443.stm

At least they released him on bail.
I always thought that they were there to treat people, not make potentially political statements and take sides.

I remember first wondering about their judgement when they donated a few vehicles to Iraq for medical related use. This was after Iraq had looted every single vehicle, literally, in Kuwait, and took the tires off any that wouldn't run. In fact the joke at the time was that Iraq should change the 4 stars on its flag to 4 tires.

I wonder where their nice donations ended up.
Elind is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2005, 07:34 PM   #4
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Re: Re: Sudan doesn't like Doctors Without Borders

Quote:
Originally posted by Elind
I always thought that they were there to treat people, not make potentially political statements and take sides.
I used to think that too. In fact, IIRC, they used to avoid making political statements of any kind even against the most oppressive and brutal regimes because it would endanger their ability to go anywhere and treat anyone.

I don't know when that changed.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2005, 08:38 PM   #5
Bjorn
Off Topic

Re: Re: Re: Sudan doesn't like Doctors Without Borders

Quote:
I used to think that too. In fact, IIRC, they used to avoid making political statements of any kind even against the most oppressive and brutal regimes because it would endanger their ability to go anywhere and treat anyone.

I don't know when that changed.
I've read the report and IMHO it isn't very political. Which statements are you referring to?
Old 30th May 2005, 08:58 PM   #6
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sudan doesn't like Doctors Without Borders

Quote:
Originally posted by Bjorn
I've read the report and IMHO it isn't very political. Which statements are you referring to?
I don't have a problem with the report at all. I was just commenting that it used to be that Doctors Without Borders wouldn't write reports at all, they would just volunteer to travel into war zones and treat the sick and wounded. Their apolitical stance helped get them access they wouldn't otherwise have.
Old 30th May 2005, 09:10 PM   #7
Bjorn
Off Topic

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sudan doesn't like Doctors Without Borders

Quote:
I don't have a problem with the report at all. I was just commenting that it used to be that Doctors Without Borders wouldn't write reports at all, they would just volunteer to travel into war zones and treat the sick and wounded. Their apolitical stance helped get them access they wouldn't otherwise have.
I must have misunderstood - Elind said

Quote:
I always thought that they were there to treat people, not make potentially political statements
... and you commented

Quote:
I used to think that too. In fact, IIRC, they used to avoid making political statements
... which made me think you had seen something political in the report. You didn't. Carry on ...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics