IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andrew Sabisky , Boris Johnson , Dominic Cummings , eugenics , UK issues , uk politics

Old 17th February 2020, 06:59 AM   #1
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

10 Downing St.'s latest advisor -

Andrew Sabisky, appointed, it seems, by Dominic Cummings. Some of Sabisky's stated views:

“...“One way to get around the problems of unplanned pregnancies, creating a permanent underclass, would be to legally enforce universal uptake of long-term contraception at the onset of puberty,”

"... black Americans have a lower than average IQ than white people and are more likely to have an “intellectual disability”

Interested in the anti-narcolepsy drug modafinil, he stated: "From a societal perspective the benefits of giving everyone modafinil once a week are probably worth a dead kid once a year.”

source

Last edited by GlennB; 17th February 2020 at 07:05 AM.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 07:14 AM   #2
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Sounds like exactly the sort of person we should have with the ear of our Prime Minister.

They're messages which play to the Conservative Party faithful.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 01:17 PM   #3
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

And now he's gone. Supposedly resigned after a 'witch hunt', but I'd guess 'invited to resign'. What a shambles. Or is a cunning plan?
Old 17th February 2020, 03:05 PM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
And now he's gone. Supposedly resigned after a 'witch hunt', but I'd guess 'invited to resign'. What a shambles. Or is a cunning plan?
Shambles. I said it after the resignation of Javid, this is what we will see constantly happening. Johnson has no ability to manage anything.
Old 17th February 2020, 04:17 PM   #5
ceptimus
puzzler

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Do you mean a Cummings plan?
ceptimus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 04:24 PM   #6
Arcade22
Philosopher

Cummings wanted "special" people to balance out the "normal" neurotypical ones in government. No doubt this is just a momentary setback for this wunderkind and his disturbing plans.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann

Last edited by Arcade22; 17th February 2020 at 04:28 PM.
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2020, 04:26 PM   #7
p0lka
Master Poster

Ah, I was wondering why eugenics had become the flavour of the month, wondering answered.

Last edited by p0lka; 17th February 2020 at 04:27 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2020, 01:17 AM   #8
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Shambles. I said it after the resignation of Javid, this is what we will see constantly happening. Johnson has no ability to manage anything.
As President Trump has shown, constant turmoil - and the associated headlines - is a great way for certain parties to get their agenda through with minimal scrutiny.

We'll be so enraged about an advisor with alleged racist views to notice the rapid erosion of workers' rights and environmental protections, the piecemeal selling off of the NHS or the UK's inevitable slide down the global economic table.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2020, 02:31 PM   #9
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

He certainly does not seem to be doing a good job of vetting people......any decent check would have shown that Sabisky was bad news.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2020, 11:52 PM   #10
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
He certainly does not seem to be doing a good job of vetting people......any decent check would have shown that Sabisky was bad news.
It's just like the Trump administration in that regard.
Old 20th February 2020, 05:53 AM   #11
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post

If only they had hired some sort of “superforecaster”, then they might have predicted that this would happen.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky

Last edited by Mojo; 20th February 2020 at 05:54 AM.
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2020, 06:08 AM   #12
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
If only they had hired some sort of “superforecaster”, then they might have predicted that this would happen.
These "superforecasters" I know it is meant to be based on some actual research but from the reports I've read it seems like they hunted for people who have bet on the winning horse five times on a trot? I'm assuming that is simply bad reporting?
Old 21st February 2020, 12:46 PM   #13
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

These "superforecasters" I know it is meant to be based on some actual research but from the reports I've read it seems like they hunted for people who have bet on the winning horse five times on a trot? I'm assuming that is simply bad reporting?
Wait...
Did they take inspiration from Ringworld?
Quote:
Teela Brown was a member of the crew recruited by Puppeteer Nessus for an expedition to the Ringworld. Her sole qualification was that she was descended from "lucky" ancestors, six generations of whom were born as a result of winning Earth's Birthright Lottery. The consequence of her state was that she'd led such a charmed and worry-free life that she was emotionally immature and unprepared for "harsh reality." The Puppeteer saw this as a kind of artificial selection, tending to breed for a psionic power of good luck. He hoped Teela would bring luck and success to the entire expedition.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer

Last edited by Mongrel; 21st February 2020 at 12:59 PM.
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2020, 01:17 PM   #14
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Wait...
Did they take inspiration from Ringworld?
Exactly what I was thinking about.
Old 21st February 2020, 05:34 PM   #15
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Quote:
He hoped Teela would bring luck and success to the entire expedition.
That was such an epic fail, it made up for the completely woo concept of genetic luck.

When I find things like that in Larry Niven stories, I'm always forced to ask...
"Was this idiocy from Jerry Pournell?"
Old 26th February 2020, 06:24 AM   #16
catsmate
No longer the 1

Exactly what I was thinking about.
And look how that worked our for the Ringworld Expeditions...

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
That was such an epic fail, it made up for the completely woo concept of genetic luck.

When I find things like that in Larry Niven stories, I'm always forced to ask...
"Was this idiocy from Jerry Pournell[e]?"
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics