IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags laptops , ram

Old 22nd July 2020, 06:18 AM   #1
Rincewind
Philosopher

Laptop RAM question

Hi guys,

Recently there as a major Windows 10 upgrade on my laptop- plus a new version of Edge. Also a Winzip addition that helpful guys here helped me to disable!

Here's what my laptop says about itself:

Lenovo V310-141SK
Intel Core i3-6100U CPU
2.30 GHz
6.00 GB RAM (5.73 GB usable)

Prior to the W10 upgrade I had been having occasional 'freezes', where the machine stops, and I have to reboot. Typically, for instance, when I have several large excel spreadsheets open at the same time.

However, since the upgrade this is happening several times a day, so I'm assuming (a WAG, of course) that Billy Gates' stuff is taking up so much of the RAM that there's not really enough for me to play with.

My question is - is it likely to be feasible to replace the 6 GB Ram with 8, for instance, or maybe add another 6?

Thanking you in anticipation...
Old 22nd July 2020, 06:30 AM   #2
Worm
Illuminator

In general, yes, absolutely.

This page suggests that you can go up to a max of 12GB.

Sometimes this is an easy task, sometimes less so. Never done a Lenovo so I'm not sure what their hardware setup is like.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 06:33 AM   #3
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
In general, yes, absolutely.

This page suggests that you can go up to a max of 12GB.

Sometimes this is an easy task, sometimes less so. Never done a Lenovo so I'm not sure what their hardware setup is like.
Thanks for that.

Is it likely that my wild-ass guess is correct?
Old 22nd July 2020, 06:38 AM   #4
Worm
Illuminator

I would have thought 6GB should be plenty, but as hardware gets older, it can start to creak. It may be worth checking if you need driver updates as that can often make a difference.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 06:53 AM   #5
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I have four 2007 Lenovo computers, a desktop on which I'm writing right now and three Laptops. The Desktop has 6 GB of RAM, the Laptops have 4 and two-times 3 (all at maximum). The Desktop now uses 3.2 GB of RAM with a ton of browser tabs open and after more than six days uptime. The Laptops all run fine without problems. On Linux, of course.
Old 22nd July 2020, 06:57 AM   #6
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
Thanks for that.

Is it likely that my wild-ass guess is correct?
Wouldn't have thought so, generally being sluggish yes but not crashing. How is your hard disk configured? Is it all one partition and is there sufficient room for your swap file? I would suggest running a check on your HD before doing anything else.
Old 22nd July 2020, 07:02 AM   #7
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Is it likely that my wild-ass guess is correct? : )
No. Windows 10 requires 2GB of memory for its own use, leaving you 4 more to play with (minus some overhead for memory management). The operating system is not running around gobbling up more memory.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 07:09 AM   #8
Leftus
Master Poster

Hi guys,

Recently there as a major Windows 10 upgrade on my laptop- plus a new version of Edge. Also a Winzip addition that helpful guys here helped me to disable!

Here's what my laptop says about itself:

Lenovo V310-141SK
Intel Core i3-6100U CPU
2.30 GHz
6.00 GB RAM (5.73 GB usable)

Prior to the W10 upgrade I had been having occasional 'freezes', where the machine stops, and I have to reboot. Typically, for instance, when I have several large excel spreadsheets open at the same time.

However, since the upgrade this is happening several times a day, so I'm assuming (a WAG, of course) that Billy Gates' stuff is taking up so much of the RAM that there's not really enough for me to play with.

My question is - is it likely to be feasible to replace the 6 GB Ram with 8, for instance, or maybe add another 6?

Thanking you in anticipation...
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-u...0-14isk#memory

Looks like you could replace it with a 16 GB stick and take it to 20. Sadly, it's not an easy upgrade, as the RAM does require opening it completely up, but, hey, gives you a chance to clean it out.

There is only one replaceable slot, with 4GB built into it.

I'm not totally sold on memory being your problem. I could be wrong, but full memory will cause disk thrashing as it moves everything to the pagefile. So, while it may hang, it will eventually resolve.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 07:46 AM   #9
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

640k is enough for anyone!
Old 22nd July 2020, 07:54 AM   #10
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
640k is enough for anyone!
Pah 512k is more than enough!
Old 22nd July 2020, 09:16 AM   #11
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Pah 512k is more than enough!
I wish they had said how much it cost when new! The story also mentioned GEM, about which I had almost forgotten. One of my companies bought a computer that had it installed, I quite liked it. You couldn't actually DO anything with it, but it seemed nice!
Old 22nd July 2020, 10:44 AM   #12
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

You can open Task Manager (R-Click on the task bar and select it from there), select the Performance tab and then Memory on the left hand column.
Keeping this open will give you a rough overview of how much Memory you are using so if you've seen notable stuttering in certain applications it should reflect in the usage there. If it doesn't you probably have enough RAM.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 04:32 PM   #13
Rincewind
Philosopher

Thanks guys - a bunch of stuff to think about!
Old 22nd July 2020, 08:06 PM   #14
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
If you decide you want more memory, then before you get too far into the project – like before you turn it over to look at the bottom – search for YouTube videos for replacing memory ON THAT MODEL of computer.

Then review your decision.

My new Lenovo Idea Pad laptop turns replacing the battery into major surgery. I the Acer that went defunct, and that the Lenovo replaced, it was not much worse than replacing the bulb in your living room lamp.
Old 22nd July 2020, 10:06 PM   #15
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I've been having intermittent update-related issues with my laptop and Win 10. It seems every update crams a bunch of junk into the thing, which then waits endlessly for things that aren't running to connect, and for me to update the settings on programs I don't even know I have.

I'd start by going to the Task Manager and disabling any startup items you obviously don't want. Check the services too (being careful not to disable needful stuff) and see if there's junk there. I never opened Skype in my life, but had nine instances of Skype service running at once.

Some things, like Skype, can just be uninstalled. Others, including some Xbox junk, are baked in, and require more effort.

There's more info on the web for disabling other stuff that can't be uninstalled normally, but every bit helps. Microsoft keeps putting Edge back in and defaulting all sorts of stuff to that.

I needed at some point to set up a separate administrator account, and found that a bunch of junk was set up there, and Edge was waiting for me to do stuff. Windows would take minutes to finish loading correctly, and programs would report "not responding," because Edge was waiting for me to enter stuff. So if you have more than one account, make sure you look at them all.

Every time I think I have it licked, it works great for a few days and then starts acting up again, and I find some new stupidity from Chairman Bill hiding somewhere gobbling up resources.

I may seriously have to look into how Linux can run some of the Windows specific programs I have, and if it does, maybe it's time.

e.t.a. in my case I don't think it's a RAM issue so much. Ram might help, but some of it is just Windows waiting for inputs that never happen. Eventually it gives up, and starts working again.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)

Last edited by bruto; 22nd July 2020 at 10:09 PM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2020, 11:22 PM   #16
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

You tube videos. Great value for working on laptops.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 02:42 AM   #17
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
You can open Task Manager (R-Click on the task bar and select it from there), select the Performance tab and then Memory on the left hand column.
Keeping this open will give you a rough overview of how much Memory you are using so if you've seen notable stuttering in certain applications it should reflect in the usage there. If it doesn't you probably have enough RAM.
+1. Verify the problem before fixing it.

I'd suggest opening event viewer to look for problems but there as so many "just the usual errors" it can be a PITA.
Old 23rd July 2020, 02:45 AM   #18
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I wish they had said how much it cost when new! The story also mentioned GEM, about which I had almost forgotten. One of my companies bought a computer that had it installed, I quite liked it. You couldn't actually DO anything with it, but it seemed nice!
One of my very early part time jobs was selling the Amstrad range of clone PCs, quality control was to shake the box, if it didn't rattle it was fine.
Old 23rd July 2020, 02:51 AM   #19
Wudang
BOFH

One of my very early part time jobs was selling the Amstrad range of clone PCs, quality control was to shake the box, if it didn't rattle it was fine.
Reminds me of the Atari STFM. One quick fix was to lift it about 6 inches and drop it to reseat components that were loose. I had the 520 and did a RAM upgrade on that. It also used GEM but I mainly used it for playing Eye of the Beholder etc.

Last edited by Wudang; 23rd July 2020 at 02:53 AM.
Wudang is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 03:39 AM   #20
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

6GB should be plenty for a laptop with Win10. Intermittent crashing suggests possibly a RAM fault, if it is indeed RAM at all, or something weird about the system disk...

RAM may have intermittent faults that show up only when the blocks get used. So the system will start and run for a bit, but sooner or later memory usage expands and something hits the pothole and boom. Win10 uses more RAM, so it could hit the pothole sooner. There are usually extensive RAM tests in the BIOS and motherboard system management which are available at boot time. Try them.

My usual disk check go-to is to defrag. If the disk is good then this will take about 5 mins for a spinning HDD or a couple of seconds for an SSD. It helps keep the disk in reasonable trim, and is also a bit of a shakedown on the disk because this very occasionally uncovers faulty blocks. If it does find some, take whatever corrective measures you think necessary.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 04:19 AM   #21
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Reminds me of the Atari STFM. One quick fix was to lift it about 6 inches and drop it to reseat components that were loose. I had the 520 and did a RAM upgrade on that. It also used GEM but I mainly used it for playing Eye of the Beholder etc.
Did you have the ones with socketed ram chips?

My business partner and I did a roaring trade in fixing the likes of Commodores (usually VIC chips burning out or a connection needing resoldering) and memory upgrades on a range of "home computers". We hated the STs for memory upgrades, I think it was the STFM that it was a toss up whether the additional memory bank would be socketed or not. If it was great - we just had to push in (if my recollection is correct) 16 RAM chips, otherwise we had to un-solder the holes for each RAM chip.

ETA:

Just went to look for details and found a video that brought it all back for me:

Old 23rd July 2020, 05:40 AM   #22
Wudang
BOFH

As I recall I had to remove the ram chip, insert the expansion thing in the socket then the ram chip back into that. The expansion unit then had a cable off to more ram than I had to squeeze in somewhere.
Old 23rd July 2020, 06:58 AM   #23
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
As I recall I had to remove the ram chip, insert the expansion thing in the socket then the ram chip back into that. The expansion unit then had a cable off to more ram than I had to squeeze in somewhere.
Ah that sounds like one of the add-on boards that came later - they let you raise the memory to the max 4Mb!
Old 23rd July 2020, 07:09 AM   #24
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The computer community loves little more than to go back and laugh at "X computer is all you are going to need" predictions, but if you notice they aren't wrong in the way people think they are wrong. What a "computer" does and is expected to do changes.

64k probably is enough if all you're doing is... like calculations. Like math. Like computers first started out being used for.

512k probably is enough if you're just doing productivity software like word processing and databases.

Take "Multimedia" and "Gaming" out of the equation and some of those predictions get a lot less silly and if you mentally add on a "If we keep using computers as we are using them now for the tasks we are using them for now" onto a lot of these "X amounts of storage/memory/processor is all we will ever need!" statements they get a lot less worthy of being fed crow.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 07:13 AM   #25
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The computer community loves little more than to go back and laugh at "X computer is all you are going to need" predictions, but if you notice they aren't wrong in the way people think they are wrong. What a "computer" does and is expected to do changes.

64k probably is enough if all you're doing is... like calculations. Like math. Like computers first started out being used for. ...snip...
I think you mean 1k. Lots I could do with my ZX81 before I got the rampack!
Old 23rd July 2020, 03:56 PM   #26
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I bought a similar computer in 1985/86 for about $3,000, but mine had a wide printer, so figure maybe $600 less. Memory 512K 10 Meg HDD. The one thing that seems odd about that Amstrad is the 3.5-inch floppy drive; I don't remember those being common until several years later. Mine had the dual 5.25-inch floppy drives.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 04:06 PM   #27
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I think you mean 1k. Lots I could do with my ZX81 before I got the rampack!
All I can say is those things must have been a lot better in the UK than they were in the US. I can remember inputting like five lines of basic code and then suddenly seeing the lcd go blank. Over and over again. Sent it back.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd July 2020, 04:41 PM   #28
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I've been having intermittent update-related issues with my laptop and Win 10. It seems every update crams a bunch of junk into the thing, which then waits endlessly for things that aren't running to connect, and for me to update the settings on programs I don't even know I have.
That's why I wasn't too unhappy when MS stopped updating Win7 on this old computer, about which you can see more in my thread.
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
You tube videos. Great value for working on laptops.
And espresso machines.
About 20 months ago, shortly after moving into the new house, we bought a magnificent, er DeLonghi Magnifica, espresso machine. Almost automatic. Add water, add beans, empty the used grounds, that's it. Except once in a while you need to descale and vacuum out the interior.
Ours was having a problem. The door would pop open when starting up or shutting down. Getting worse and worse. I cleaned the interior but it only helped a little. Finally Googled and watched a video. Oh, it's a little moving part ON the door! I hadn't looked there. No more problem after a quick removal of the buildup.
The machine, BTW, cost us over US$500.00 and has saved at least five or six THOUSAND dollars compared to the previous two Starbucks a day.
Old 24th July 2020, 04:45 AM   #29
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Take "Multimedia" and "Gaming" out of the equation and some of those predictions get a lot less silly and if you mentally add on a "If we keep using computers as we are using them now for the tasks we are using them for now" onto a lot of these "X amounts of storage/memory/processor is all we will ever need!" statements they get a lot less worthy of being fed crow.
I think another one of the issues is that as technology and the 'normal' moves forward someone will always ask "What more can we do?".
I started gaming from 3.5" floppies and watched the amazing change when CD drives became cheap enough, now 50Gb installs are common. Same for all the underlying feature sets; 640x480 graphics, capricious hardware & primitive sound, now we have game engines that will happily play at 4k & better resolutions, 90% 'just plug it in' devices & 5.1 soundtracks.

It's also led to stuff getting messy & bloated, as there's no requirement for keeping things compact & efficient. Why bother when people have a 3GHz octo-core processor, 4Gb of RAM & a 1080 display on their phone?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 05:49 AM   #30
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I bought a similar computer in 1985/86 for about $3,000, but mine had a wide printer, so figure maybe $600 less. Memory 512K 10 Meg HDD. The one thing that seems odd about that Amstrad is the 3.5-inch floppy drive; I don't remember those being common until several years later. Mine had the dual 5.25-inch floppy drives.
I think you will find that was a Winchester drive!

Last edited by Darat; 24th July 2020 at 05:53 AM. Reason: a bit of free will
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 05:51 AM   #31
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
All I can say is those things must have been a lot better in the UK than they were in the US. I can remember inputting like five lines of basic code and then suddenly seeing the lcd go blank. Over and over again. Sent it back.
What was that?

And because Sinclair and his clever mates were clever you could squeeze more than you might think into that 1k - such as a chess game
Old 24th July 2020, 08:00 AM   #32
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post

I'd start by going to the Task Manager and disabling any startup items you obviously don't want. Check the services too (being careful not to disable needful stuff) and see if there's junk there. I never opened Skype in my life, but had nine instances of Skype service running at once.

Some things, like Skype, can just be uninstalled. Others, including some Xbox junk, are baked in, and require more effort.

There's more info on the web for disabling other stuff that can't be uninstalled normally, but every bit helps. Microsoft keeps putting Edge back in and defaulting all sorts of stuff to that.

I needed at some point to set up a separate administrator account, and found that a bunch of junk was set up there, and Edge was waiting for me to do stuff. Windows would take minutes to finish loading correctly, and programs would report "not responding," because Edge was waiting for me to enter stuff. So if you have more than one account, make sure you look at them all.

Every time I think I have it licked, it works great for a few days and then starts acting up again, and I find some new stupidity from Chairman Bill hiding somewhere gobbling up resources.

I may seriously have to look into how Linux can run some of the Windows specific programs I have, and if it does, maybe it's time.

e.t.a. in my case I don't think it's a RAM issue so much. Ram might help, but some of it is just Windows waiting for inputs that never happen. Eventually it gives up, and starts working again.
Thanks Bruto!

I regularly clean out autostart stuff - just like you I noticed that stuff creeps back!

So, I did it again.

It's not looking like a RAM issue now. Yesterday, I was playing a couple of games from Steam: Kingdoms and Castles, recommended 4GB, and Knights and Merchants, recommended 1GB.

So - I'm sure you guessed which one locked up twice?

There's a computer place not far from us, so I might have a chat with them.

Thanks again to all who contributed!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet