IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags laptops

Old 12th December 2005, 01:38 AM   #1
stup_id
Critical Thinker

The day I screwed my laptop

I don't know if I'm taking advantage of this forum haha

I'm pretty convinced is not a computer help forum.. but since I've read so many intelligent people here I'm very tempted to ask...

I disassemblied a VAIO laptop whose screen wasn't working, just trying to check if it wasn't some obvious mistake with the monitor cable or something, just removed the plastic protection and tried to take out the processor (which wasn't succesful), also a partener of mine who was helping, just happened to unplug the touchpad.. we plugged it back again but when we finished and get it all up again the damn thing wouldn't boot.. zero noises...

Do you have any suggestions about what may keep it from booting=? the power is getting to the lap, and also I can easily close and open the cd... it just doesn't seem to boot as if the RAM wasn't plugged, or do you thing I really screwed the motherboard :S:S:S?

Well.. thanks.. haha
stup_id is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2005, 02:04 AM   #2
Zep
Banned

Did you put the plastic protector sheet back in? Stops various bits and bobs from shorting out against the enclosure panels...
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2005, 01:43 PM   #3
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Did you use lube?

(Someone had to say it.)
Old 17th December 2005, 05:30 PM   #4
ohms
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by stup_id View Post
...tried to take out the processor (which wasn't succesful)
Are you sure this was reseated correctly? They can be a bit fiddly and the pins are liable to bend if you are using a lot of force.

Also, did you earth yourself before digging around inside? Static is a killer (to delicate electronics anyway).
Old 17th December 2005, 11:03 PM   #5
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Laptops use a number of rather finicky cables, often flat ribbons that, instead of a plug, slip into a clamping socket. It's easy to pull some of these out, so I would check all cable connections. Ribbon cable connectors usually involve some rather tricky little clips by which part of the connector either slides forward or flips up, whereupon you slip the cable back in, and reclip the connector. They're very easy to break. Experiment on these with very very little force! Also some laptops use more than one board, sandwiched together, and these connectors can be pretty fussy too.

But there's something a little scary about the statement that you tried unsuccessfully to get the processor out. At least you'd better make sure it isn't partly dislodged, but if you tried really hard to get it out and failed, you might have damaged something.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2005, 04:37 PM   #6
scribble
Master Poster

Chances are good it's just plain broke. However, a lot of laptops have a little switch located near the hinge, which would be right near the screen you were fiddling about with in theory. The switch tells the laptop if it's opened or closed, and if it's stuck in the "closed" position your notebook might very well refuse to respond to the power switch.

Just a thought...
scribble is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet