IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags UK issues , uk politics

Old 16th February 2021, 04:01 AM   #601
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
The government has announced plans for a "free speech champion" to ensure universities in England do not stifle freedom of speech and expression.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-55995979
Will the role be filled by Nigel Farage or Peter Hitchins ?
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2021, 04:39 AM   #602
Airfix
Graduate Poster

Laurence Fox....?

(not an endorsement btw).
Airfix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2021, 09:00 AM   #603
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Scottish “independence” pretty much guaranteed.

“…. Mr Gove, who is Scottish, is widely expected to take a role leading on the Union …”

Just need to set the date.
Old 21st February 2021, 08:57 AM   #604
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Boris Johnson has been making the civil service actually draw up plans for a roundabout under the Isle of Man with 4 tunnels connecting Stranraer, Belfast, Liverpool and Heysham under the sea.

It is understood Boris insisted on research for this plan after officials informed him that his previous idea - a direct tunnel from Stranraer to Larne - would be impossible due to the almost 2million tonnes of army munitions dumped in Beauforts Dyke over the last 80 years.

One of the tunnels would need to be 3 times longer than the longest tunnel ever constructed.

Graphic of the proposed tunnels in link from Times feature

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/sta...587206/photo/1

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 21st February 2021 at 08:59 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2021, 09:03 AM   #605
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Boris Johnson has been making the civil service actually draw up plans for a roundabout under the Isle of Man with 4 tunnels connecting Stranraer, Belfast, Liverpool and Heysham under the sea.

It is understood Boris insisted on research for this plan after officials informed him that his previous idea - a direct tunnel from Stranraer to Larne - would be impossible due to the almost 2million tonnes of army munitions dumped in Beauforts Dyke over the last 80 years.

One of the tunnels would need to be 3 times longer than the longest tunnel ever constructed.

What do you have against unfeasible schemes to siphon money to his mates?

He’s been coming up with them for years: Failed London Garden Bridge project cost £53m http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47228698
Old 21st February 2021, 10:32 AM   #606
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

It's Trumpian misdirection. Funny it should come out when Hancock loses his case about not publishing procurement information on time. Or is there something else Boris wants to hide?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2021, 10:34 AM   #607
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
What do you have against unfeasible schemes to siphon money to his mates?

He’s been coming up with them for years: Failed London Garden Bridge project cost £53m http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47228698
And the Thames Estuary island replacement for Heathrow.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2021, 11:06 AM   #608
catsmate
No longer the 1

To be fair it's actually no-more than a million-and-a-half tonnes at most.

And what's the worst that could happen? It's not like the last time the area was disturbed thousands of phosphorous bombs were washed ashore or anything.

Oh, wait....
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2021, 01:55 PM   #609
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

People are arguing that the Isle of man would never let the govt build a tunnel etc because they are the property of the Crown and the Queen is 'Lord of man' and they have their own parliament.

Where that falls down is Westminster is 'supreme' and the British Govt is not shy about ignoring or breaking inconvenient treaties and laws.
If IOM wasn't a convenient local tax haven Tynwald would have gone years ago.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2021, 02:16 PM   #610
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

People are arguing that the Isle of man would never let the govt build a tunnel etc because they are the property of the Crown and the Queen is 'Lord of man' and they have their own parliament.

Where that falls down is Westminster is 'supreme' and the British Govt is not shy about ignoring or breaking inconvenient treaties and laws.
If IOM wasn't a convenient local tax haven Tynwald would have gone years ago.
Isn't that like arguing that a move is illegal under the rules of Quiddich? I mean it might be technically correct, but the fact that flying broomsticks don't exist is a greater practical problem.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2021, 03:16 PM   #611
Airfix
Graduate Poster

Ferrys work, keep things as they are with regards to the sea crossing.
Airfix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2021, 05:22 AM   #612
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And under the “Oh what a surprise” column this month we have:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...health-insurer

…. Merger with Centene Corp covers 500,000 patients fuelling calls for inquiry into ‘NHS privatisation by stealth……

“… One of the UK’s biggest GP practice operators has quietly passed into the hands of the US health insurance group Centene Corporation, prompting calls for an official investigation into what campaigners claim is “privatisation of the NHS by stealth”.
…”
This is exactly what the Tories wanted.
Old 28th February 2021, 11:36 AM   #613
Aber
Graduate Poster

“… One of the UK’s biggest GP practice operators has quietly passed into the hands of the US health insurance group Centene Corporation, prompting calls for an official investigation into what campaigners claim is “privatisation of the NHS by stealth”.
…”[/indent]
A privately owned GP practice has had a change of owners. This has nothing to to do with "privatisation".
Aber is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2021, 12:09 PM   #614
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
A privately owned GP practice has had a change of owners. This has nothing to to do with "privatisation".
Pull the other one, it’s got bells on it!
Old 2nd March 2021, 02:18 PM   #615
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

People would blow Universal Basic Income on 'lots of drugs', top Tory claims

Shaun Bailey, the Tory candidate for London mayor, was accused of 'contempt' for families with his remarks on a flat payment for all citizens
mirror.co.uk
Old 2nd March 2021, 02:23 PM   #616
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I can only imagine Shaun Bailey was the answer to the question "How do we make Zac Goldsmith look good?"

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2021, 10:16 PM   #617
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Shaun Bailey should stop judging other people by himself.
Old 4th March 2021, 08:35 AM   #618
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-philip-rutnam

“6 figure” settlement for one of the victims of the Home Secretary, I am sure she still has the full confidence of the PM. I mean so your person who is in charge of the police and you know enforcement of the laws of the land has cost the tax payer hundreds of thousands of pounds because she is a bully and can’t manage her staff in an effective manner, why on earth should she be sacked?
Old 4th March 2021, 09:13 AM   #619
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Can Priti Patel personally afford that or are taxpayers picking up the bill??

If she isn't guilty of bullying, why are my taxes being forked out?
Old 4th March 2021, 09:34 AM   #620
Carrot Flower King
Muse

^ And why the **** should I, or any other tax payer, be footing the bill for Patel's poor and illegal behaviour anyway?

Vicarious liability seems to be applied very selectively in the UK...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 09:53 AM   #621
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
^ And why the **** should I, or any other tax payer, be footing the bill for Patel's poor and illegal behaviour anyway?

Vicarious liability seems to be applied very selectively in the UK...
Because, as Airfix maintains, you elected her.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 09:55 AM   #622
Wudang
BOFH

From James O'Brien on twitter
Quote:
How far into Scotland do right-wing journalists have to stray before they suddenly start caring about ministerial codes?
Old 4th March 2021, 11:07 AM   #623
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-philip-rutnam

“6 figure” settlement for one of the victims of the Home Secretary, I am sure she still has the full confidence of the PM. I mean so your person who is in charge of the police and you know enforcement of the laws of the land has cost the tax payer hundreds of thousands of pounds because she is a bully and can’t manage her staff in an effective manner, why on earth should she be sacked?
Unfortunately the UK now has a hard right government who sees Civil Servants and Judges as obstacles to their aims. It's no secret it wants to dismantle the power of the courts and the top civil servants. Whilst these are a stabilising force in British society insofar their official positions remain unchanged long after the incumbent government has gone. Johnson is hungry for centralised control in that he baulked at the Chancellor of the Exchequer traditionally having independent aides from the Prime Minister, notwithstanding their constant opposing aims actually help to provide for moderation and neutrality. As an example, today Johnson is saying, '**** the EU agreement on Northern Ireland we are going to breach it for the next six months'. There was a time when your word was you bond. Not with this government! The findings of Select Committees and independent panels investigating breaches of ministerial codes can be binned by Mr. Johnson as a darned inconvenience for what does he care about protocols, conventions, manners, ethics or even democracy. '**** You!' is Johnson's leit motif.

The legal costs and payout are likely to be funded by Indemnity insurance, not the tax-payers. The sum is only six-figures because it represents Rutnam's lost earnings up to retirement, and then a final salary pension for life, calculated by actuarials as his expected life span. Then interest is added on. So, a six-figure sum is not that eye-brow raising.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 11:34 AM   #624
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
From James O'Brien on twitter
I'd say Coldstream; they're thoroughly taken with it, to the point of frothing at the mouth fervour, if they get as far as Rolfe's abode.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 11:36 AM   #625
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Because, as Airfix maintains, you elected her.
Did not!

******* Tory voters can cough up for her, especially those eejits in Witham.

And don't try pinning Anne-Marie Sodding Trevelyan on me.
Old 4th March 2021, 11:46 AM   #626
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Meanwhile, it seems that NHS staff are being promised a bounteous 1% pay rise in 2022. I hope they're grateful!

ffs.
Old 4th March 2021, 11:49 AM   #627
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Meanwhile, it seems that NHS staff are being promised a bounteous 1% pay rise in 2022. I hope they're grateful!

ffs.
Woo-hoo! They can now afford one of Matthew Hancock's 'Care' badges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3500.jpg (36.6 KB, 3 views)

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!

Last edited by Vixen; 4th March 2021 at 12:24 PM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 11:54 AM   #628
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

ffs.
As long as he can make cuts of about $17 billion from the spending plans he had prior to the first lockdown.

We are going to look back on austerity as a time when money fell from the heavens.
Old 4th March 2021, 12:18 PM   #629
Aber
Graduate Poster

Meanwhile, it seems that NHS staff are being promised a bounteous 1% pay rise in 2022.
Higher than the current inflation, plus spinal pay rate increase of perhaps 2-3%.
Aber is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 12:21 PM   #630
3point14
Pi

You think they'd be reasonable and just settle for another round of applause...

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 12:21 PM   #631
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Higher than the current inflation, plus spinal pay rate increase of perhaps 2-3%.
And?
Old 4th March 2021, 12:48 PM   #632
GlennB

Projected inflation:
2022 1.5%
2023 1.8%
2024 1.9%
Old 4th March 2021, 12:49 PM   #633
Carrot Flower King
Muse

You will, of course, be aware of the numbers of NHS trusts which have completely manipultated the Agenda for Change agreement to make automatic progression up a scale pretty much a thing of the past? Annual increments in many places are no longer automatic, as per agreements, but have become dependent on things solely under the control of management.

Source of information: a payroll officer in one of the largest NHS payroll departments, paying numerous trusts across the country.
Old 5th March 2021, 04:01 AM   #634
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Boris Johnson’s makeover of Number 10 will reportedly cost up to £200,000.
Priti Patel’s legal settlement is being reported at £340,000.

Nurses are getting a pay rise of £3.50 a week.
Old 5th March 2021, 06:53 AM   #635
Aber
Graduate Poster

And?
Almost all NHS staff will have a pay increase of 2-3% above inflation (and will do most years) and a final salary pension scheme.

Those in the private sector are much more likely to be furloughed or lose their jobs.
Old 5th March 2021, 10:29 AM   #636
Carrot Flower King
Muse

^ You clearly know how much the NHS pension scheme has been ****** over in the last decade? And that for all the years I could find figures for (published accounts are great) more money was contributed to the scheme than was drawn in pensions: what happened to that? Presumably it went off to the Treasury's coffers, making our superann contributions essentially a stealth tax.

And your 2-3% figure has to assume automatic progression up a scale (the so-called annual increment), which has not existed in practice for a whole heap of people (figures hard to come by as it is the sort of thing trusts are not required to collate and publish, nor even submit to the DoH).

And comparisons with the privates sector fall into false equivalence and the like, as there is not a private sector equivalent (thinks: why did Philly Windsor have to be shifted from that lovely private hospital to Bart's?).
Old 5th March 2021, 11:04 AM   #637
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Almost all NHS staff will have a pay increase of 2-3% above inflation (and will do most years) and a final salary pension scheme.

Those in the private sector are much more likely to be furloughed or lose their jobs.
Strange then that the Chancellor didn’t mention that…. Perhaps you should let him know he got his sums wrong?
Old 5th March 2021, 11:16 AM   #638
GlennB

That would make the pay increase 3-4% for a ~1% current rate of inflation, when the increase is clearly 1%. Please explain.
Old 5th March 2021, 11:42 AM   #639
Wudang
BOFH

https://www.health.org.uk/news-and-c...-in-real-terms

Quote:
‘Times have been tough across the economy over the last decade but when it comes to pay NHS staff have fared much worse than others. ONS weekly earnings data show average earnings across all sectors in the economy were 3% higher in 2019/20 than in 2011/12, compared with a 2% decrease for NHS staff.
Old 6th March 2021, 10:37 AM   #640
Carrot Flower King
Muse

That would make the pay increase 3-4% for a ~1% current rate of inflation, when the increase is clearly 1%. Please explain.
Aber is working on the old, long gone, idea that all NHS staff have an automatic move up their pay band, the old annual increment. This has not been a given for all staff some time and the systems in place around this are routinely manipulated by management or made the subject of "local deals", which were never intended to be part of national NHS pay arrangements, but have been allowed to sneak in by the DoH, especially since 2010, and frequently are put in place without full discussion with staff (this certainly happened in 2 major acute trusts round here - source: one of the peoole who paid the staff of those trusts while working for one of them, who just happens to be through in the next room).

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics