IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags laptops

Old 15th December 2005, 08:46 PM   #1
Kaylee
Illuminator

Laptops: New Chew Toys for Babies?

Quote:
See Baby Touch a Screen. but Does Baby Get It?

Jetta is 11 months old, with big eyes, a few pearly teeth - and a tiny index finger that can already operate electronic entertainment devices.
We own everything electronic that's educational - LeapFrog, Baby Einstein, everything," said her mother, Naira Soibatian. "She has an HP laptop, bigger than mine.

In a line of experiments on early learning included in a research review by Dan Anderson, a University of Massachusetts psychology professor, one group of 12- to 15-month-olds was given a live demonstration of how to use a puppet, while another group saw the demonstration on video. The children who saw the live demonstration could imitate the action - but the others had to see the video six times before they could imitate it.
"As a society, we are in the middle of a vast uncontrolled experiment on our infants and toddlers growing up in homes saturated with electronic media," Mr. Anderson said.

ETA: Link is to a New York Times article, you may need to register, but registration is free.

Last edited by Kaylee; 15th December 2005 at 08:49 PM.
Kaylee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th December 2005, 10:07 PM   #2
ysabella
Muse

I was looking at some baby toys (I'm expecting a boy in April) and was thinking that a fake play laptop thing was actually kind of practical, as he will certainly be seeing me using one all the time. Similar thoughts from a toy mobile phone.

I can't see much point in software until a kid is a bit older, really. And I don't think drool is good for keyboards.
Old 16th December 2005, 05:54 AM   #3
Bone_Vulture
Appealing and hollow

Originally Posted by Shera View Post
ETA: Link is to a New York Times article, you may need to register, but registration is free.
www.bugmenot.com

And yeah, I'm also concerned about the "electronic media saturation" mentioned in the article - not to mention the apparent trend of replacing human teaching element with toys.
Bone_Vulture is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2005, 07:38 AM   #4
Marc L
Thread Killer

My initial reaction based on personal experience is 'yes, everything is a chew toy for babies. Coffee mugs included (note to new parents-do not leave your coffee mug in reach while holding a seven month old on your lap at the computer. 'Reach' is defined as 'About six times what you think she can actually reach!).

Didn't Penn and Teller do a ******** episode about Early Learning?

Marc
Marc L is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2005, 09:32 AM   #5
Kaylee
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ysabella View Post
I was looking at some baby toys (I'm expecting a boy in April)
Congratulations!

Quote:
and was thinking that a fake play laptop thing was actually kind of practical, as he will certainly be seeing me using one all the time. Similar thoughts from a toy mobile phone.
And they should be a lot more comfortable to chew!
Kaylee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2005, 05:45 AM   #6
Chaos
Penultimate Amazing

Congratulations!

And they should be a lot more comfortable to chew!
My aunt - who used to collect anything related to telephones - has a telephone-shaped cushion for ther sofa. Maybe you could something similar laptop- or cell-phone-related?
Chaos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2005, 07:48 PM   #7
kittynh
Penultimate Amazing

I know a lot of babies that love to chew on their parents cell phones. I have given a "baby" play cell phone to many babies! You push buttons and it makes noise, it's just like mommy and daddy!

Children want to copy adults. For a short while. Believe it or not the perfect age for the play kitchen is 2-3. When they are older they figure out mom and dad aren't cool.
kittynh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2005, 02:41 AM   #8
David Swidler
Philosopher

I never figured it out. My parents, approaching 60, are still two of the coolest people I know, and I never thought otherwise. Even though they probably never let me play with the phone. And we didn't have a computer when I was that small.
David Swidler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2005, 09:08 AM   #9
Kaylee
Illuminator

Originally Posted by kittynh View Post
I know a lot of babies that love to chew on their parents cell phones. I have given a "baby" play cell phone to many babies! You push buttons and it makes noise, it's just like mommy and daddy!

{snip}
Thanks for the idea Kitty! Its still Chanukah and last night I give one of my friend's daughter a play cell phone. She was very happy and her mom was too.

Just a few months before (when she was 18 months) she had accidentally hit the redial button on her mom's cell when she was out of the room. Her mother's friend picked up and reportedly both parties handled each end of the phone call beautifully!

Kids these days -- they are scary smart! (Maybe she even knew what she was doing when she pressed redial???? )
Old 3rd January 2006, 07:26 AM   #10
Kiless

I found toy cell phones in Japan. Cute bright things. Certainly would have helped my sister-in-law who had her real phone destroyed by the dribble of her 2 year old.
Kiless is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2006, 08:44 AM   #11
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by ysabella View Post
I was looking at some baby toys (I'm expecting a boy in April) and was thinking that a fake play laptop thing was actually kind of practical, as he will certainly be seeing me using one all the time. Similar thoughts from a toy mobile phone.

I can't see much point in software until a kid is a bit older, really. And I don't think drool is good for keyboards.
Certainly not good for my alarm clock.

My 9 month old can't really differentiate between remotes and keyboards - they just seem to be curiously-shaped objects to her. She does love her toy keyboard and drum set though. This is (almost) her phone

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Education