IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags laptops

Old 22nd September 2006, 07:21 PM   #1
RandFan
Mormon Atheist

Broken Lap Top

Ok, I've got a 1 year old Compaq Presario. It's still a great computer however the sensor for the power plug keeps switching between battery and power cord even when the power cord is plugged in and the battery is low. I just can't do my work in the field without it. It seems that the female connector on the laptop is loose and if I wiggle the cord it will show go back to the power cord but for different amounts of time. Can anything be done or do I need to buy a laptop this weekend?

I realize that this might be a bit obscure for many here.

Thanks,

RandFan
RandFan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2006, 08:52 PM   #2
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I've seen a couple of laptops with this problem, and I think it may depend on how difficult it is to open the case. The power jack in most of these laptops is pathetically poorly designed for stress. Chances are that either the jack itself is cracked, or it has begun pulling off the circuit board. If the latter, sometimes you can resolder it, and perhaps add a piece of wire to bypass a damaged trace (the circuitry is pretty large and coarse in this region). If it's actually broken, you'd need to replace it, and if the circuit board itself is actually broken, you need to find a different way to support the jack. I repaired a laptop of my stepson's a couple of years ago by replacing a broken jack on a broken circuit board with a mini headphone jack.

Of course all of this depends on your willingness to open it up, and the risk that you'll end up breaking it worse. I've never done it on a computer as new as yours, and I'd be pretty cautious if it's an expensive one.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2006, 08:55 PM   #3
Chris Haynes
Perfectly Poisonous Person

That happened to my 3 year old laptop earlier this year.

How about replacing the power cord? It could be a damaged wire that only has intermittent connection.

There was a thought that it may be the part that it plugs into, the tech did change that also (my computer was still under the extended warranty). But it turned out to be the power cord.

Edit to add... I don't remember the jack being that difficult to change, but it may be the design of the machine (HP). But the new power cord is not HP, but a generic brand with the same tranformer specs, that would be easier to try.

"HCN, I hate you!"
( so sayeth Deetee at http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?p=1077344 )...
What I get for linking to http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/

Last edited by Chris Haynes; 22nd September 2006 at 08:58 PM.
Chris Haynes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2006, 08:58 PM   #4
stormer

Make sure the power supply cord is not internally broken first. Borrow another PSU and see if you can recreate the problem.

Otherwise, send the laptop for repair. It may be a simple problem like a dry joint at the power socket. Any technician should be able to check this out. Opening the laptop properly is another matter though.

It is a good excuse to buy another laptop Core 2 Duo is amazingly powerful
stormer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet