IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags laptops

Old 7th June 2007, 02:50 AM   #1
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

100 Laptop - it's true!

Just read about this ASUS laptop:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/114773/a...00-laptop.html

Quote:
...snip...

The notebook measures roughly 120 x 100 x 30mm (WDH) and weighs only 900g. We saw the notebook boot in 15 seconds from its solid-state hard disk.

...snip...
For someone who just wants to surf the internet, occasionally write a document it sounds superb, if it's released in the UK I'll probably buy one if it has a wireless connection or the ability to add a wireless PC card. I'll certainly buy my Mother one to replace the aging PC she has at the moment.

Last edited by Darat; 7th June 2007 at 02:53 AM. Reason: tr
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2007, 05:35 AM   #2
Kaylee
Illuminator

Very cool!

The dimensions translate into just under two pounds and roughly about 5 by 4 by 1 inch (WDH).
Kaylee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2007, 06:27 AM   #3
Starthinker
Philosopher

They were kinda secretive about what was on it and I notice they don't show fingers on the keys. At 5" wide, I can't image typing would be normal, but more like trying to text on a PDA. May be okay for surfing the web, but I can't see doing documents on it for any length of time. I was wondering when flash drives would start replacing hard drives for smaller systems.
Starthinker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2007, 06:41 AM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You can see someone holding it up by one hand if you look at the bigger version of the picture. http://www.pcpro.co.uk/openpic.php?n..._pic_62535.jpg
Old 7th June 2007, 02:52 PM   #5
Azure
Master Poster

Doesn't Panasonic already have those?

I think our company bought them for the field consultants a few weeks ago. I'll have to ask around.
Azure is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th June 2007, 02:59 PM   #6
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

But can it run an atomic power station?
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2007, 02:29 AM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
But can it run an atomic power station?
Without a wobbly ram-pack? No way!
Old 8th June 2007, 02:54 AM   #8
richardm
Philosopher

Sounds interesting, although experience should tell us that $189 will magically translate to 189, and not 100 as hoped.
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th June 2007, 02:59 AM   #9
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

In an optimistic mood aren't you - more likely to be 250!
Old 8th June 2007, 07:10 AM   #10
Starthinker
Philosopher

Will it have Solitaire?
Starthinker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet