IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags laptops

View Poll Results: Tap Click on Laptops - Love it? Hate it?
Love Tap Click 37 39.36%
Hate Tap Click 37 39.36%
What's "Tap Click" 10 10.64%
On Planet X Tap Clicking is deadly 10 10.64%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22nd September 2008, 01:03 AM   #41
The_Fire
Unimpressed Female

Thank you for helping me figure out what the frack was wrong with my touchpad. I have now disabled tap-click and am no longer loosing text or find my cursor in a weird spot in the text I'm typing.
"We? That better be you and that invisible aardwarck in your pocket you are talking about, because I KNOW you are not stupid enough to open a giant can of whoop ass by claiming you know what I think."
Stop Sylvia Browne
The_Fire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2008, 01:15 AM   #42
thatguywhojuggles
Graduate Poster

I like those computers that have the controller nipple between the keys--maybe I just like nipples.
thatguywhojuggles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2008, 02:50 AM   #43
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

I love Tap Click.

People who hate it should buy a better computer or reduce their Ketamine intake.
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2008, 06:27 AM   #44
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

I always call the eraser thingy a clit, as I can never find the damn thing .
I'm unsurprised to find others use the same term.

What I'm still waiting to learn is WHAT THE SMEG IS "TAP_CLICK"?
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2008, 06:57 AM   #45
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post

What I'm still waiting to learn is WHAT THE SMEG IS "TAP_CLICK"?
On a touchpad, you can set it so that when you tap the pad, it acts the same as if you had left clicked the button. If it's too sensitive, you get a lot of inadvertent clicks.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2008, 07:05 AM   #46
Dan O.
Banned

Some have the "clit" that is sensitive to small manipulations and can be tapped to generate a click. Others have a large area that is sensitive to touch which can also be tapped to generate a click. Some even have both.
Dan O. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2008, 11:47 AM   #47
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dan O. View Post
Some have the "clit" that is sensitive to small manipulations and can be tapped to generate a click. Others have a large area that is sensitive to touch which can also be tapped to generate a click. Some even have both.
I have both on my laptop, and disabled tapping on both.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2008, 06:12 PM   #48
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

You can tap the clit? When I last used one (which admittedly was quite a while ago), it just controlled movement, and you actually had to use the buttons at the bottom of the keyboard to click.
Old 22nd September 2008, 06:30 PM   #49
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
You can tap the clit? When I last used one (which admittedly was quite a while ago), it just controlled movement, and you actually had to use the buttons at the bottom of the keyboard to click.
It depends on the brand. My old Toshiba had no tap option, but my 2002-vintage Dell does. Actually it was more like a press than a tap, and hard to regulate.

Old 22nd September 2008, 08:07 PM   #50
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
It depends on the brand. My old Toshiba had no tap option, but my 2002-vintage Dell does. Actually it was more like a press than a tap, and hard to regulate.
Fair enough. I realised that the last time I used a clit mouse was in 1995, on an IBM Thinkpad, so I'm not surprised that the technology has changed a little.
Old 22nd September 2008, 09:15 PM   #51
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Originally Posted by Dan O. View Post

Why are users so utterly selfish? How come no one has thought to ask the laptop which one it prefers you to use?

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2008, 11:16 PM   #52
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
I'd guess you're not a touch-typist, if it's hard to find.

I certainly miss having one when I use a laptop without.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2008, 11:24 PM   #53
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

You don't have to be a touch-typist to find the clit.

Is there a "Double Entendre" thread?
Old 23rd September 2008, 01:37 AM   #54
MetalPig
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
You don't have to be a touch-typist to find the clit.
True. I'm not a touch-typist, but I can find the clit. I am a cunning linguist though.
Old 23rd September 2008, 04:57 PM   #55
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Feel free to join me in the double-entendre thread.

Last edited by arthwollipot; 23rd September 2008 at 04:59 PM.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet