IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ethnic cleansing , Sudan incidents , Sudan issues

Old 11th May 2004, 10:01 AM   #81
DanishDynamite
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by aerocontrols

I think you're missing my point. It seems to me that Sudan got 0 votes.

The point was that the selection of these members seems to be by a somewhat nondemocratic process.

Doesn't it seem so to you?
Apparently candidates for a place on the commission are determined by regional groups. Only if there are more candidates from a group than places allocated to said group will there be a ballot.

How each group determines their candidates, I don't know.
DanishDynamite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2004, 10:07 AM   #82
DanishDynamite
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by c0rbin

I just calls 'em like I sees 'em. Like the paranoid man says: "I wouldn't be so paranoid if people weren't out to get me."

You just let us know when you feel train bombings in Europe get out of hand.
Could you explain what you mean by your last comment?
Quote:
PS: "decree" it turns out was the wrong word. Apologies. The last thing I would want to see is a dictator, however benign. I would like to see politics step aside in favor of doing something about genocide.
OK.

I can agree with your last sentence, but then I would also like politics to step aside in favor of building a starship, and of building a Superduper Collider and in favor of many other things. The problem is that I would then have lost touch with reality.
DanishDynamite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2004, 10:21 AM   #83
c0rbin
Graduate Poster

Quote:
The problem is that I would then have lost touch with reality.
Are you saying that taking a stand against genocide is as difficult or unrealistic as trying to fly to another star?

Regarding: "You just let us know when you feel train bombings in Europe get out of hand."

200 people were killed in Spain aparently by Al Qaeda(sp?), a group that chooses violence and innocents to make its political points. At what point will Al Qaeda become the villain and not the US?

When will violence and anarchy be reviled? When you are shorted at the cash register, do you kill the person in line behind you to make your case?
But in reality there are atoms and space.
--Democritus (c. 400 BCE)
c0rbin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2004, 10:33 AM   #84
DanishDynamite
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by c0rbin

Are you saying that taking a stand against genocide is as difficult or unrealistic as trying to fly to another star?
No, I'm saying that when one wants things to happen which are require the involvement of governments, one cannot avoid politics.
Quote:
Regarding: "You just let us know when you feel train bombings in Europe get out of hand."

200 people were killed in Spain aparently by Al Qaeda(sp?), a group that chooses violence and innocents to make its political points. At what point will Al Qaeda become the villain and not the US?
Al Queda has always been the villain as far it is responsible for its reprehensible acts.
Quote:
When will violence and anarchy be reviled? When you are shorted at the cash register, do you kill the person in line behind you to make your case?
Reprehensible acts should be reviled. Violence or anarchy are not automatically reprehensible.
Old 11th May 2004, 07:07 PM   #85
aerocontrols
Illuminator

Quote:
Originally posted by DanishDynamite
One can only wonder why the African regional group decided to support the candidacy of Sudan.
How about anti-Western solidarity and mutual protection?
aerocontrols is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th May 2004, 08:45 PM   #86
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Quote:
Originally posted by DanishDynamite
OK, WildCat, I've read the Summary part of the link you provided. If the reported facts are true, which I have no reason to doubt, it certainly qualifies the Sudanese government as a human rights abuser. Very sad reading.
Yes, it is.

Quote:
One can only wonder why the African regional group decided to support the candidacy of Sudan.
When Libya got voted on, they did it by giving money to other African nations. I don't know if Sudan has much money to give, but there has to be some reason. Maybe just for regional solidarity as aerocontrols speculated, maybe by threats. Sudan has harbored terrorists in the past and may still do so, maybe no one wants to risk trouble w/ them.

African wars are so complex, it's hard to keep track of whats going on and why.
Old 11th May 2004, 09:50 PM   #87
aerocontrols
Illuminator

Quote:
Originally posted by WildCat

Yes, it is.

When Libya got voted on, they did it by giving money to other African nations. I don't know if Sudan has much money to give, but there has to be some reason. Maybe just for regional solidarity as aerocontrols speculated, maybe by threats. Sudan has harbored terrorists in the past and may still do so, maybe no one wants to risk trouble w/ them.
Just to be clear, I suggested anti-Western solidarity.

Regional solidarity would imply (it seems) that they voted in Sudan so that an African nation would have the post. That's nonsensical, since the four positions chosen by the African group all had to go to African countries. The question is why Sudan was chosen to be one of those countries.

MattJ
aerocontrols is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics