IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags laptops

Old 5th October 2010, 03:19 PM   #1
phatred
Scholar

Need help replacing laptop screen please help!

The screen on my laptop got cracked, so i ordered a new one from westcoast lcds. When the original screen was cracked it would still turn on, it would just show a blue screen though. I got my new screen today and plugged the screen in in the back and nothing happened. I also tried plugging it back in the original and the original wouldn't even power on. I'm wondering if I could've shorted something out while trying to plug it in. The model is a HP G-62 225-dx if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
phatred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 04:02 PM   #2
phatred
Scholar

I kept fiddling around with it and put it on the original and it lit up. I then tried the new one and one of the resistors in the back started smoking so I unplugged it, does this mean it is done for?
phatred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 05:17 PM   #3
Furcifer

Sounds like it.

I've only replaced a few screens in my day and to be honest it was fairly simple. The hard part was finding all the mounting screws and un-snapping the plastic trim.

I've put the "wrong" screens in laptops just to get them working and never had an issue. It sounds like you may have been sent the wrong screen ie; one using a lower voltage than your original. I didn't even think you could connect them as the ribbon cables are completely different.

If you can confirm the screen was the right one I'd say your backlight voltage regulator is out of whack. This is a common problem with HP's. It's fixable and not that expensive but who knows what you may have fried.
Furcifer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 05:33 PM   #4
phatred
Scholar

It's the stupid ribbon cable that is giving me problems, the bezel and brackets are already off. It doesn't want to snap in there good, it almost kinda just lays in there, and I might have disconnected 2 wires from it on accident. theres about 6 wires on the far right side of it that are grey, white, and red. There are 2 blue wires on the far left side that aren't in the plug in part, just kinda hanging, it doesn't really like that part is easily replaced... this sucks.
Old 5th October 2010, 07:13 PM   #5
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

How easy is it to take it back and say it is faulty? If you got it from a shop they might plug it in their computer and if it does not work then they should replace it under guarantee.

At least talk to the people you got it from.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th October 2010, 09:33 PM   #6
phatred
Scholar

I bought it from BestBuy about a month and a half ago, it broke about a week ago. We bought a new Compaq when it happened, but I decided it would be good to try to fix the old one. We didn't put any warranty on the HP because they told us there is no accident warranty. When we picked up the Compaq the guy told us the salesman for the HP was wrong and they did offer it, so we got it for the Compaq. So the HP was past the 30-day return policy.

I tried putting it in the ribbon connecter one more time and got a small burn on my finger doing so. I guess I'll just take it in somewhere and see if they can fix it, if it's affordable.
Old 5th October 2010, 10:42 PM   #7
Furcifer

Originally Posted by phatred View Post
I bought it from BestBuy about a month and a half ago, it broke about a week ago. We bought a new Compaq when it happened, but I decided it would be good to try to fix the old one. We didn't put any warranty on the HP because they told us there is no accident warranty. When we picked up the Compaq the guy told us the salesman for the HP was wrong and they did offer it, so we got it for the Compaq. So the HP was past the 30-day return policy.

I tried putting it in the ribbon connecter one more time and got a small burn on my finger doing so. I guess I'll just take it in somewhere and see if they can fix it, if it's affordable.
Um, you got a burn? The general rule of thumb when working with electronics is to disconnect the power supply first, do what you must, then reconnect the power supply and see what happens. Working with live stuff is generally frowned upon.

That being said, I have put in screens hot, mainly because it's low voltage and the extra light is helpful once they are hooked up.

Anyhoo, I wouldn't mention you did it hot if you are trying to return it or warranty it. I don't think you did anything wrong, but they tend to look for any reason to blame you for the problem.

It sounds like your best bet is to bring it to a shop and see what they say. I'm not sure if you ripped out a wire from the ribbon connector or not. It sounds like you may have. I've taken apart "connectors" only to find out I had taken them apart wrong. Don't ask me how, it just happens. What looks like a male to female connector ends up being a male to female to male or something like that.

I'm still betting on the voltage regulator being messed up. If you do get it fixed let us know what it ends up being, just curious.
Furcifer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet