IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags joe biden

Old 15th October 2012, 10:49 AM   #41
marksman
Reality Checker

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Although you are right that Biden is not nearly as brainless as Sarah Palin, the dislike is still a payback for the Dems (and most of the world) making fun of Palin's stupidity
Hey, I hated Biden before it was cool. I've hated Biden since I went to college with his son, and in the same year, he (father, not the son) got caught plagiarizing a speech from Neil Kinnock (and from others). That was 25 years ago.

Crap. Now I also hate Biden for making me feel old.
marksman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2012, 10:54 AM   #42
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Perhaps you should look deeper into Brainster's claim to see what precisely he was claiming before you put up a scorecard.
Well, here's Brainster's claim.
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
He lied on every single one of the factual points which could be checked. Of course, he lied while Democrat, which is forgivable to many.
And here's Brainster's source for that claim.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2012, 11:48 AM   #43
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

And here's Brainster's source for that claim.
Here's a hint: I quoted a previous poster, who quoted a previous poster. So it is a bit "Tricky".
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2012, 01:25 PM   #44
daredelvis
Master Poster

Brainster's claim was in response to this link.

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
“I think I have a much higher I.Q. than you do I suspect. I went to law school on a full academic scholarship – the only one in my class to have a full academic scholarship.”

http://washingtonexaminer.com/biden-...3#.UHtcfFQzLhU
And even though Brainster did not back up his claim, Biden dose look like super douch in that link. Thanks to eeyore1954, there was a link that backed up Brainster's claim, thus proving that in the video not only was Biden being a s.d., he was lying at the same time. If that was the only piece of evidence to draw a conclusion about Biden, I would not have a favourable opinion of him. Him acting like an idiotic jerk in a handful of instances is not surprising, him be an opinionated human and all.

Daredelvis
Old 15th October 2012, 01:25 PM   #45
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by marksman View Post
Hey, I hated Biden before it was cool. I've hated Biden since I went to college with his son, and in the same year, he (father, not the son) got caught plagiarizing a speech from Neil Kinnock (and from others). That was 25 years ago.
Maybe you're just using strong language for effect, but isn't "hate" a pretty strong term for someone who apparently did one thing you disapprove of? And holding onto that hate for 25 years? Isn't that a bit extreme also?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2012, 02:10 PM   #46
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

People are disliking him beyond normal political levels? I'd rather go out for drinks with him and Ryan than Romney or Obama.

His foot-in-mouth issues are humorous. He's not the first and won't be the last on that note.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 15th October 2012 at 02:13 PM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2012, 02:13 PM   #47
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
People are disliking him? I'd rather go out for drinks with him and Ryan than Romney or Obama.

His foot-in-mouth issues are humorous. He's not the first and won't be the last on that note.
Yeah, but not so much Ryan. I know a lot of guys like Ryan and they aren't too much fun at parties.
Old 15th October 2012, 02:29 PM   #48
marksman
Reality Checker

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Maybe you're just using strong language for effect, but isn't "hate" a pretty strong term for someone who apparently did one thing you disapprove of? And holding onto that hate for 25 years? Isn't that a bit extreme also?
I volunteered for his presidential campaign and it imploded because of his stupidity. I wasted my time. "Hate" may be an exaggeration -- I was just using the term Tricky was using. But I certainly lost a lot of respect for him.
marksman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2012, 07:05 PM   #49
Toontown
Philosopher

Biden isn't disliked any more than any other partisan political hack. They're all loved by the people who vote them into office and hated by everyone else whose equally objectonable pet political hacks have been forced to seek gainful employment in the private sector.

That said, Biden isn't all bad. He's definitely better than the worst people in the world, a disturbingly high proportion of whom are running what passes for countries - straight into the ground - in some cases not for the first time, such as in the case of Russia and North Korea, for example. Biden, OTOH, is taking a more circuitous route toward the augur point, while not wielding an obscene amount of ill-gotten power. For that, at least, we should be thankful
Old 15th October 2012, 08:48 PM   #50
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
Very nice, eeyore1954 gets to decide what's the appropriate clip level for how much someone must give before they claim to care for others. What a smug ******* you are.
You do not need to be a smug ******** to make an educated guess on what amount of charitable giving would be low for someone who truly is interested in the plight of the poor.
Look at national averages for people with much lower income than Biden.
It is easy to profess a concern but if you do not back it up with action I am skeptical.

I do not believe I am a smug ********. But who knows I could be biased.

Last edited by eeyore1954; 15th October 2012 at 08:53 PM.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2012, 11:52 PM   #51
SezMe
post-pre-born

Could it be, eeyore1954, that Joe (and/or Jill) express their concern in ways that don't appear on a Schedule A? Charity events? Volunteering? Boy Scouts? Girl Scouts? Etc.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2012, 04:56 AM   #52
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Could it be, eeyore1954, that Joe (and/or Jill) express their concern in ways that don't appear on a Schedule A? Charity events? Volunteering? Boy Scouts? Girl Scouts? Etc.
Yes and donating your time can be a major sacrifice for people. And for those who have money it is a lot harder than just writing a check. But in my opinion with his level of income (and DavidJames it is an opinion) they should be able to do both. Does it prove he is not concerned no but it certainly makes me skeptical above the level of concern.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2012, 05:17 AM   #53
grunion
Philosopher

Hard to tell out of context, but even assuming Biden's "iq" comment was "douchey" and meant to demean, how would youcompare its doucheyness with holding down a gay kid and cutting his hair off? no, it doesn't absolve biden from an ill-willed comment, but really, is that the best you can do in a lifetime of public speaking?

Though I generally don't think much of Democrats, I like Joe. yes, he is a blowhard at times, but he has a sense of humor, and he's got passion for the issues he cares about. he deserves credit for bringing Anita Hill's story to light, and he gave the best speech at the Democratic Convention, blowing away Obama's. he beat Ryan in a debate and slowed Romney's momentum. yes, he plaigiarized Kinnock, and got caught, and that was wrong. but I forgive him, as it takes balls to espouse Labour philosophy in the US.
“Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.”
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics