IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags "The Matrix" , Matrix movies , movies , science fiction movies

Old 6th November 2003, 12:35 AM   #1
T'ai Chi
Penultimate Amazing

Matrix Revolutions

I just saw this movie today.

I was wondering if anyone else spotted and/or liked any religious tones in the movie.
T'ai Chi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2003, 07:41 AM   #2
chulbert
Muse

Re: Matrix Revolutions

Quote:
Originally posted by T'ai Chi
I just saw this movie today.

I was wondering if anyone else spotted and/or liked any religious tones in the movie.
I've enjoyed the religious allegory through the entire trilogy. I was ever-so-slightly disappointed that they made it so obvious in the third movie.
chulbert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2003, 05:17 PM   #3
T'ai Chi
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Re: Matrix Revolutions

Quote:
Originally posted by chulbert

I've enjoyed the religious allegory through the entire trilogy. I was ever-so-slightly disappointed that they made it so obvious in the third movie.
They did make it obvious, but they also made some things not obvious I feel, so to me, it all evened out.

Needless to say, I liked the Oracle's earrings.
T'ai Chi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2003, 05:24 PM   #4
Yahweh
Philosopher

[surferdude]

Duuuuuude! Like, what if the Matrix was inside the Matrix or something?

[/surferdude]
Yahweh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2003, 08:20 PM   #5
Keneke
Muse

Agent Smith: Emotions are all predeteremined. Why do you go on?

Neo: I choose to.

Whoa man. Even getting heavily into deep discussions here on the nature of human behavior, I was still blown away by that.

"I am exercising my free will, which is simply my drive created by my inability to fathom predetermination." Not quite the same, eh?

Paging Mr. Franko. Mr Franko, you have a phone call at the front desk.
Keneke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2003, 08:28 PM   #6
Yahweh
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally posted by Keneke
Mr. Franko isnt in right now, would you care to leave a message? (I ask that question out of curtosy, you dont really have the free-will to decide if you leave a message.)
Yahweh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2003, 11:55 PM   #7
Max560
Critical Thinker

Given the nature of the quest, I thought that the religious themes were used well.
You don't understand any of it, and then you just die.

Chuck Palahniuk- Fight Club
Max560 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2003, 05:39 AM   #8
slimshady2357
Graduate Poster

Max560?

Weren't you wraith just a second ago?

Maybe I was seeing things, but I could have sworn that post was by wraith

Adam

Edit: I guess I was seeing things.....I think I clicked on the link for the latest post in R&P and it was by wraith, but the link took me here. You must have posted that just as I was clicking
slimshady2357 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2003, 06:10 AM   #9
whitefork
None of the above

"Flatus" = fart, I think.

Wraith's avatar has "fatum" = fate.

Subtle, to be sure.
Old 7th November 2003, 07:57 AM   #10
smalltlalk_2k
Student

Quote:
That statement is kind of misleading and an over simplification of emotionality.

If the plot line had been different he could have just as well said:

Agent Smith: Emotions are all predeteremined. Why do you not go on?

There are only a few emotions so they are predetermined at birth. Its not like someone is born with a new emotion that is unique to them. Like John Doe will be born with the new Magoogly emotion. "Man i'm feeling Magoogly today." Its the extent and height to which the emotions are displayed and felt that is important key of having emotions.

Agent Smith: Emotions are all predeteremined. Why do you not go on?
Neo: 'Cause I'm feeling Magoogly today.
Agent Smith: Damn, thats a bummer.
Neo: Yeah tell me about it. Now lets fight at super fast and slow motion speeds.
Agent Smith: Ok, Neo. I'm a computer program but I can still kick your simulated magoogly ass.
Neo: Byte this you streaming audio piece of s**t.
smalltlalk_2k is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2003, 05:21 PM   #11
hammegk
Banned

Quote:

Neo: I choose to.

So far as I understand what Franko says, he would agree with Neo. Materialists are the group who should find Neo's remark a paradox.
hammegk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2003, 07:34 PM   #12
Max560
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by Kullervo
"Flatus" = fart, I think.

Wraith's avatar has "fatum" = fate.

Subtle, to be sure.
Like the "b" in subtle.

Max560 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2003, 07:38 PM   #13
Max560
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by hammegk

So far as I understand what Franko says, he would agree with Neo. Materialists are the group who should find Neo's remark a paradox.
Ummm....sure

Old 8th November 2003, 12:08 AM   #14
c4ts
Philosopher

"Flatulus" means "fart" in Latin. I think.
c4ts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2003, 08:01 AM   #15
hammegk
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Max560

Ummm....sure
mu
hammegk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2003, 09:36 AM   #16
Chaos
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by c4ts
My dictionary says "flatus =

- the passing of wind
- flatulence
- snort
- fluteplay
- pompousness"

Pick one...

The "-ul-" syllable is a diminuitive. So "flatulus" would mean "little fart".
Chaos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2003, 10:04 AM   #17
KelvinG
Master Poster

After the last Matrix, I would rather pass a kidney stone than see Revolutions.
Old 8th November 2003, 03:31 PM   #18
Max560
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by c4ts
Flatus is the actual gass that is passed, rather than the act of passing it, as in,"I ate a lot of beans and passed flatus."

In the context of this forum, both fatum and flatus have roughly the same meaning.

Old 8th November 2003, 03:36 PM   #19
Jet Grind
Thinker

The religious themes were used well, but knowing about them beforehand kind of took away from the movie. Most of what happened in Matrix Revolutions was pretty predictable.
Old 9th November 2003, 04:29 PM   #20
Flaherty
Critical Thinker

It was a stupid movie. I want my money back.
Old 10th November 2003, 07:14 AM   #21
whitefork
None of the above

Quote:
Originally posted by Flaherty
It was a stupid movie. I want my money back.
Money can be recouped. Time can't. I suspect you'd really rather have your time back.
Old 10th November 2003, 10:31 AM   #22
bozothedeathmachine
Muse

Quote:
Originally posted by smalltlalk_2k

That statement is kind of misleading and an over simplification of emotionality.
I think that was kind of the point. One of brain-burners they tried to highlight in the film was the nature of emotion. Is it a universal truth or just a human construct. When Sati's father is preaching to Neo, "What is love? Is it real of just symbolic term for the connection I have with my daughter?"...something like that, anyway. Questions like that are dropped throughout the movie, blatantly.

I also thought many of the religious allegories in the film where much more blatant this time. Almost brash. But they still left a couple covered rather well.

Just my $.02
bozothedeathmachine is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy