IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags CT humor

Old 25th August 2011, 07:56 AM   #41
cwalner
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mashuna View Post
Any of them that don't lead to physical harm
I will slightly disagree with that. While I don't find it amusing when person y suffers because of person x believing in a CT, I think the most hilarious CT is so because its adherents keep harming themselves (legally) because of their asinine CT.

In other words, I vote for FOTL.
Old 25th August 2011, 07:59 AM   #42
Jrrarglblarg

HAARP causes earthquakes halfway around the world. That one has so much wrong in it.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2011, 08:40 AM   #43
JLord
Critical Thinker

I also get the most enjoyment out of the FOTL type stuff. The extent that these people go to try to sound smart or to use legal terminology is comical. I remember some cartoon character from when I was a kid who was an owl who kind of acted smart and tried to look smart and all the other characters looked up to him, but he was just kind of making things up as he went along. That's the scene that comes to mind when I watch videos from people such as Robert Menard where they are addressing a crowd of people, taking questions and so on. He's just making up nonsense but everyone thinks he's the smartest person in the room.
JLord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2011, 08:58 AM   #44
cwalner
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JLord View Post
I also get the most enjoyment out of the FOTL type stuff. The extent that these people go to try to sound smart or to use legal terminology is comical. I remember some cartoon character from when I was a kid who was an owl who kind of acted smart and tried to look smart and all the other characters looked up to him, but he was just kind of making things up as he went along. That's the scene that comes to mind when I watch videos from people such as Robert Menard where they are addressing a crowd of people, taking questions and so on. He's just making up nonsense but everyone thinks he's the smartest person in the room.
While that is all true, for me, I have to admit, it is pure schadenfreude watching the idiots put FOTL in action
Old 25th August 2011, 02:04 PM   #45
MikeSun5
Trigger Happy Pacifist,

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I'll add my vote for Icke's Lizard people aka the Reptoids.
Thirded. ....and aren't they Jewish Lizard people?

As far as conspiracy theories go, I'm convinced that the Weather Channel and Home Depot are in league together. Every time a tiny cloud shows up in the Atlantic, the Weather Channel claims the most devastating hurricane of our time is headed directly for us (paraphrased). The green and yellow pixels get bigger and bigger, and the projected path is always a straight line to the city I live in. Next thing you know, the Home Depot is sold out of bottled water, duct tape, generators, and plywood. Then suddenly, the storm shifts directions and goes out to sea and it barely rains.

That happens at least 4 times a year in Florida. [/conspiracy]
I always wondered if those WWJD bracelets worked, so I bought one. Well later, I was on a plane and this little kid was kicking my seat repeatedly, while his sister sang along with her walkman and their mother just sat there. I almost turned around and went off, and then I caught sight of my bracelet. What would Jesus do? So I lit them on fire and sent them all to Hell.
--Daniel Tosh
MikeSun5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2011, 04:40 PM   #46
IdiotWhacker
Thinker

Originally Posted by Minadin View Post
I was thinking about this recently. Flat-earthers, as stupid as they are, make me sad. 9-11 nut-balls make me angry.

But, chem-trails adherents honestly make me laugh out loud. I just don't understand how people could believe that nonsense.

So anyway, what's the most entertaining CT for you? Nibiru? Young Earth Creationists? People who think Lord of the Rings is real?
A giant hologram of a project called project blue beam where the U.S government is using HAARP to transmit the return of Jesus christ the virgin mary or a devastating attack by UFO's so they would bring the people of the world to its knees in a secret effort of world domination.

One such group who promote this idea is a group called True Forced Loneliness group who basically stays on Youtube. They also believe in the NWO and they believe that some women are conspiring with the conspirators to keep the men out of line as the name true forced loneliness. They have a general background of misogyny in their view including anti-semitism.

The one who has a prime example of their own group is a guy named RavenGaigeSmith on youtube. He is also a TFL he is off of youtube,but you can find his videos on youtube some a topic other is hate speech. there is a link on the bottom.

watch?v=YFgmmY-5Kto

watch?v=1QFDP6rEMqQ

Last edited by IdiotWhacker; 25th August 2011 at 05:44 PM.
IdiotWhacker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2011, 04:42 PM   #47
Macgyver1968
Philosopher

Originally Posted by IdiotWhacker View Post
A giant hologram of a project called project blue beam where the U.S government is using HAARP to transmit the return of Jesus christ the virgin mary or a devastating attack by UFO's so they would bring the people of the world to its knees.

One such group who promote this idea is a group called True Forced Loneliness group who basically stays on Youtube. They also believe in the NWO and they believe that some women are conspiring with the conspirators to keep the men out of line as the name true forced loneliness. They have a general background of misogyny in their view including anti-semitism.

The one who has a prime example of their own group is a guy named RavenGaigeSmith on youtube. He is also a TFL he is off of youtube,but you can find his videos on youtube some a topic other is hate speech. there is a link on the bottom.

watch?v=YFgmmY-5Kto

watch?v=1QFDP6rEMqQ
Let me get that for ya.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 25th August 2011, 04:51 PM   #48
Macgyver1968
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cwalner View Post
I will slightly disagree with that. While I don't find it amusing when person y suffers because of person x believing in a CT, I think the most hilarious CT is so because its adherents keep harming themselves (legally) because of their asinine CT.

In other words, I vote for FOTL.
Some CTer's don't understand the motivations of skeptics to debunk their far out fantasies. Belief that the CIA killed Kennedy or we didn't land on the moon is pretty harmless...HOWEVER belief in FOTL can get you in a lot of trouble if you exercise these beliefs. Fines, loss of cars or homes. I personally don't think that's funny at all...and why I think we should be diligent to show how wrong these beliefs are.
Old 25th August 2011, 05:04 PM   #49
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

This is such a hard question, since so many conspiracies are so hilariously entertaining. As it hasn't yet been mentioned, I must put in a vote for the hollow earth, as its startling idiocy fills me with glee.

Maybe it's easier to approach the question by excluding conspiracies which are unremittingly dreadful however clownish their proponents try to act: Holocaust denial and antivaxxers, for example.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2011, 05:11 PM   #50
dvictr
Muse

the Chilean mining disaster was a hoax
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=190012

Last edited by dvictr; 25th August 2011 at 05:14 PM.
dvictr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2011, 05:13 PM   #51
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by dvictr View Post
The Chilean mining disaster was a hoax
Sorry, but trolling was never going to make the list. Dull, I'm afraid.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2011, 05:50 PM   #52
nomuse
Muse

Truthers and chemtrailers are so incredibly angry they are no fun to talk to. The latter also has the problem of being completely insane. There is no logical debate with them.

I know a lot of people have fun with JFK theories, UFOs, ghost sightings, ESP, cryptozoology, and the like, but my preferences are towards things that have at least a little bit of technical "meat" to them.

Climate Change Deniers are only mildly interesting to talk to, as they are major goal-post shifters and are always trying to pull the "but that was last month's argument" on you. Creationists are great fun; their knowledge of science ranges from unbelievably bad to almost-good-enough to fool a college student. If you shop around on them, you can almost always find one that is a good contest.

And, yes, the Creationists do manage to come up with some of the most knee-slappingly funny ideas ever. T. Rex gnawing into a coconut. The first elephant to evolve searching in vain for the first FEMALE elephant. And let's not even get started on the Ark. The main problem with Creationists is they have no shame. They will lie, outright lie. Even when you catch one at it and make him admit it, he'll just move to another forum and repeat the same lie to a fresh batch of suckers.

So, for the best value of your entertainment dollar, I nominate the Apollo Hoax. Sure, the silly situations aren't quite as belly-laugh stupid (Polar orbits, say. Or rockets that melt because there is no conduction in space). But there is plenty of fun science to get your teeth into. Plus, out of all the wild conspiracy theories out there, only the Apollo Hoax crowd has consistently staged themselves into trying to argue their case from a scientific and technical basis (instead of delving into the murk of motivations and politics and meaningful stares, where entire nations could be hidden).
nomuse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2011, 06:04 PM   #53
nomuse
Muse

I have to say I have a special love for any theory or claim or argument that goes so far wrong it begins to approach right from the other side. The sort of thing where you actually stop and say, "You know, it might actually be possible.....no, that's stupid!"

For some reason my favorite showed up once at Godlike Productions, at about the time it was discovered Iran was trying to get their hands on gas-separation centrifuges for their nuclear weapons program. According to the GLP poster, these centrifuges would be used to create uranium 238 by spinning lighter elements really fast.

And you stop for a moment and say "Well, yeah, if you could operate them at .99999 C, and if there was any way to USE the massive product without slowing it down again..." But then you realize you haven't changed the atomic number -- all you've got are some really, really (relativistically) heavy lithium atoms, and not a nice heavy element with an unstable nuclei.

Of course, given the near-light-speed centrifuge capable of handling KILOGRAMS of material, I'm sure you could come up with some dandy weapons applications for the thing!
nomuse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2011, 07:03 PM   #54
dafydd
Banned

We are not discussing one man conspiracy theories.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2011, 08:09 PM   #55
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Leaving aside the fact that it is not a conspiracy theory because no one believes it, in what way do you find it funny or entertaining?
Old 25th August 2011, 08:17 PM   #56
dafydd
Banned

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Leaving aside the fact that it is not a conspiracy theory because no one believes it, in what way do you find it funny or entertaining?
He's the only one who does not find it entertaining.
dafydd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2011, 11:10 PM   #57
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Alferd_Packer View Post
holy crap
gabeygoat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2011, 11:39 PM   #58
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
The Big Pharma ones are dangerous, and not particularly funny, but most CTs are very funny.

If I had to pick the funniest ones, it would be Judy Wood's 9/11 space beams second, and this one first:

Originally Posted by Porkpie Hat View Post
I think the funniest one is how the ebil US gub'ment and big pharma created AIDs, Ebola, H1N1 and a whole host of other diseases to reduce world population.

Especially when the population of the world is growing exponentially.
Not to mention the eeevil vaccines!!11
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2011, 07:32 AM   #59
FreemanMenard
Banned

Just for JLord.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGpZm...el_video_title

cognitive dissonance anyone?
FreemanMenard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2011, 07:37 AM   #60
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

No, that one was just in poor taste. I'm not amused by people who turn real tragedies into meaningless hobbies. Now Illuminati/Mason/Jews Rule the World CT'ers those exist to be pointed and laughed at.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2011, 07:50 AM   #61
Boot2TheHead
Thinker

Originally Posted by FreemanMenard View Post
Just for JLord.

That sure showed him!

???
Boot2TheHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2011, 09:41 AM   #62
JLord
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by FreemanMenard View Post
Just for JLord.

I'm not sure if I am missing the point of that or what? I certainly agree that you have to be careful when dealing with cops because you never know who the incompetant psychos are. Best to always try to be courteous.

The videos I was talking about though are the ones where it is from a seminar or something where someone (could be anyone really but Menard is a good example) is addressing a crowd or doing a Q&A with a crowd. I've watched loads of them and find them to be higly entertaining.
JLord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2011, 12:17 PM   #63
therival58
Muse

How about this one I received via private message on youtube?

Toys of the Anti-Christ - Prepare your mind for the Coming Strong Delusion!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej63PQ0qdT4

Full message:

Quote:
prepare your mind for the coming strong delusion
http://fallenalien.com/

Krugman's strange statement:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gayFbHxkbg

Other conditioning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ6o0-ghYRg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35JWz2MzEC0

Hear anything weird lately?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_57ht7Ob8nc
Get saved while you still can!
Vid description

Quote:
The current Tech of the Anti-Christ, fulfilling this prophecy...

• "And he had power to give LIFE unto THE IMAGE OF THE BEAST, that the image of the beast should both speak [AUDIO covered in part3], and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast [Christians] should be killed." [Revelation 13:15]

So?
How will he do it?

How will he fulfill this prophecy of causing a living "image" to be "worshiped" worldwide?

We have the technology.
And it's being used today in our skies.

You have to see it to believe it...
OH NOES!!
therival58 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2011, 12:29 PM   #64
scissorhands
Banned

Originally Posted by Macgyver1968 View Post
Let me get that for ya.

I AGREE

I AGREE

Spent a lot of time obsessing about slicing womens uteruses with rusty razor blades there.
I expect, or at least hope he has been seen by law enforcement/psychiatric assessment agencies by now.
scissorhands is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2011, 01:59 PM   #65
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Shadow the Poodle View Post
Bugger wrong PM.
Thanks.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2011, 02:33 PM   #66
JLord
Critical Thinker

The thing that always amazes me about the freeman stuff is that the legal system is entirely of human construction (unlike Aliens, bigfoot, ghosts, etc.) and is entirely based on publicly available information (unlike 9/11, JFK, illuminati, etc.) yet people still manage to convince others that there is some conspiracy there. I mean in a way the system has evolved and been designed to prevent the possibility of secret conspiracies. The only thing that gives it enough obfuscation to allow conspiracies is that it is too complicated for some people to understand.
Old 27th August 2011, 07:23 AM   #67
8den
Graduate Poster

For me it's the pop culture ones.

Like this Simpsons episode in 1997 that predicted the 9/11 attacks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pwhFKRhrHM

Or going further

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CZD34t9RQQ

I'm not sure whats funnier that people search through the Matrix to find out Neo's driving licence expired on 09 Sept 01, but they then come with some rational as to why the illuminate do this, which is usually "they're laughing at us".
8den is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2011, 09:44 AM   #68
Myron Proudfoot
Master Poster

I find them all rather sad, in that it's sad someone believes them..
Old 27th August 2011, 01:03 PM   #69
MikeSun5
Trigger Happy Pacifist,

^^ well it's sad NOW. Thanks for that.

Remember that satanic cult scare back in the 80s or so? Everyone thought there was some covert satanic Illuminati-type thing that was abducting kids and making them sacrifice rabbits or whatever.

So weird what people are willing to accept.
I always wondered if those WWJD bracelets worked, so I bought one. Well later, I was on a plane and this little kid was kicking my seat repeatedly, while his sister sang along with her walkman and their mother just sat there. I almost turned around and went off, and then I caught sight of my bracelet. What would Jesus do? So I lit them on fire and sent them all to Hell.
--Daniel Tosh
MikeSun5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2011, 08:42 PM   #70
LordXenu
Critical Thinker

I have to go with FOTL. FOTLers keep getting proved wrong yet they keep declaring victory. They can't even admit that even if they are right, that the PTB is just going to get a lot of guns against them making anything they could be right about incredibly moot.
LordXenu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2011, 12:34 PM   #71
jargon buster
Banned

Quote:
I have to go with FOTL. FOTLers keep getting proved wrong yet they keep declaring victory. They can't even admit that even if they are right, that the PTB is just going to get a lot of guns against them making anything they could be right about incredibly moot.
Just ask them what they would do with someone who withdrew consent in their freeman community.
They always end up saying that the individual has a choice to toe the line or leave.
However they fail to accept the same argument when its flipped back at them.

Yup..its FMOTL for me too......daftest ever conspiracy theory (and dangerous as well)

Last edited by jargon buster; 29th August 2011 at 12:35 PM.
jargon buster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2011, 09:58 PM   #72
Robrob
Philosopher

Recently ran into a couple of CT who "questioned" (CT code for doubting something without needing actual facts) the recent Japanese Tsunami/Earthquake. Apparently it was a cover up for the Mossad's pocket nuke strike on the power plant, in retaliation for Japan's intent to sell nuclear power technology to Iran.
Robrob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th August 2011, 08:09 PM   #73
OldTigerCub
Striped Shapeshifting Reptoid

Personally, I find nothing humorous about shape-shifting reptoids because I am one (at least that's what my title line tells me), and I know I'm not funny. I do, however, get lots of LOLs any time I read something David Icke has to say!
Old 2nd September 2011, 08:22 AM   #74
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

It may not be the funniest, but the bar-codes-on-the-backs-of-U.S.-road-signs-are-part-of-the-U.N.-invasion-plans is worth an honorable mention.
Old 2nd September 2011, 03:31 PM   #75
MikeSun5
Trigger Happy Pacifist,

Zoinks. ^^That's a new one to me! Bar codes, huh? So I'm guessing Google Streetview will be unavailable during the invasion?
--Daniel Tosh
Old 2nd September 2011, 08:35 PM   #76
Robrob
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MikeSun5 View Post
Zoinks. ^^That's a new one to me! Bar codes, huh? So I'm guessing Google Streetview will be unavailable during the invasion?
IIRC, the militia nuts' claim was when the NWO armies invaded they would of course drive on the wrong side of the road (like all foreigners) and would need the magic bar code info to keep from getting lost!
Robrob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2011, 06:13 AM   #77
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

While a total scam, I particularly enjoyed the RFID Tags for US Armed Forces personnel that got it's brief moment in the sun from Alex Jones.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2011, 01:59 PM   #78
Architect
Chief Punkah Wallah

I'm with the vote for Icke's Jewish Shape Shifting Lizard Overlords.

James Keir Hardie (1856 - 1915): Politician, Founder of Scottish Labour Party
Architect is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2011, 09:56 PM   #79
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
While a total scam, I particularly enjoyed the RFID Tags for US Armed Forces personnel that got it's brief moment in the sun from Alex Jones.
Oh yes. I forgot about this. Our old buddy Unsecured Coins hoaxing Alex Jones was hilarious.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2011, 04:03 PM   #80
JCM
Muse

So am I the only one who picked a government sponsored CT?
What other government sponsored/diseminated CTs have you all come across?

Originally Posted by JCM View Post
MOST ENTERTAINING
The Bennewitz Affair
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4383/paulbennewitz.jpg
Not funny at all. Except the computer program given to him by official sources. It's phrases were giberish but funny. Swedes!!
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/8370/signals.jpg
I wonder who wrote them?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories