IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags laptops , webcams

Old 18th November 2011, 04:34 PM   #1
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Vanishing hardware

Okay, so I have an HP laptop with Windows 7 pre-installed. It has a built in webcam which I've seldom used, but now some of my family have got skype and I am starting to want to use it to talk to friends and family etc.

All good.

Except, for some unknown reason both the camera and microphone on my laptop have... well, vanished. Neither device appears in device manager at all, and I can't get hardware detection to register them. I've reinstalled the appropriate drivers and it makes no difference. As far as the OS is concerned they simply don't exist.

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2011, 04:41 PM   #2
Macgyver1968
Philosopher

Check in the BIOS setup, to see if there's an option to turn them on or off.
Old 18th November 2011, 04:53 PM   #3
AK-Dave
Muse

Is there a button on your laptop that disables the camera, similar to the one that disable wireless?

eta: It may be a function key combination.
AK-Dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2011, 04:55 PM   #4
Macgyver1968
Philosopher

Originally Posted by AK-Dave View Post
Is there a button on your laptop that disables the camera, similar to the one that disable wireless?

eta: It may be a function key combination.
Ooo..that's a better suggestion than mine.
Old 20th November 2011, 03:02 AM   #5
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

There's no button like that which I'm aware of, but disabling it or turning it off shouldn't make it disappear from the device manager. The only thing I can think of is that the connection from the MB to the camera has broken.

gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2011, 03:40 AM   #6
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

The computer gods are angry at you. You must sacrifice a virgin DVD to your microwave, say a dozen hail Microsoft's while genuflecting towards Redmond WA and vow to never again eat granola.

Or you could let us know what the model number is so we can look into it further for you. It's your call really...

About my avatar.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2011, 03:46 AM   #7
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

The cables for the webcam and mic are usually routed through one or both of the hinges attaching the screen to the base of the laptop. These cables may have become loose or damaged, possibly through wear and tear.
Old 20th November 2011, 03:49 AM   #8
Lolly
discombobulated

I've had trouble with one of my (desktop) computers "losing" a tv card, it disappears from device manager. I can get it back if I unplug the power cable and leave it for a while before putting the power cord back in and restarting it. Maybe worth a try? Take the battery out and don't plug it in and see what happens.

"When particles of evil and iniquity swarm together, they make a Lolly.": Legend
Lolly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2011, 05:29 AM   #9
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Originally Posted by Sam.I.Am View Post
The computer gods are angry at you. You must sacrifice a virgin DVD to your microwave, say a dozen hail Microsoft's while genuflecting towards Redmond WA and vow to never again eat granola.

Or you could let us know what the model number is so we can look into it further for you. It's your call really...

It's an HP Pavilion dm3.

Old 21st November 2011, 05:32 AM   #10
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Originally Posted by commandlinegamer View Post
The cables for the webcam and mic are usually routed through one or both of the hinges attaching the screen to the base of the laptop. These cables may have become loose or damaged, possibly through wear and tear.

This is my suspicion.

Old 21st November 2011, 06:01 PM   #11
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

Try going to Device Manager> Action> Scan for Hardware Changes and let it scan the whole laptop. Even if you did it before do it again.

Use the MediaSmart software that the Laptop came with and see if the camera is working now.

If it still won't show up then it's probably a hardware issue and you will need to contact HP support.

Sorry that's all I got.

(did you try the whole sacrificing a DVD to the microwave thing? Fun huh!)

About my avatar.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2011, 06:56 PM   #12
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

Pavilons generally come with a recovery partition.
If all else fails you might reset the machine to factory specs and see if the devices reappear. Pain in the neck though, as you will then have to reinstall years of M$ updates.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2011, 07:52 PM   #13
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I've tried everything suggested with no luck. I don't have recovery partition so it would mean a cold reinstall from scratch, which I think I will hold off on for now. I don't use my webcam enough that I need it.

Old 24th November 2011, 08:33 PM   #14
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by gumboot View Post
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I've tried everything suggested with no luck. I don't have recovery partition so it would mean a cold reinstall from scratch, which I think I will hold off on for now. I don't use my webcam enough that I need it.
Or you could just get an external webcam and mic, they're not expensive.
Old 25th November 2011, 11:11 PM   #15
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Or you could just get an external webcam and mic, they're not expensive.

That's probably what I'll do, you're right. I'd rather have the built in one working because it's more convenient when travelling etc... but it does seem to me that the physical link to the MB has failed somewhere. C'est la vie!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet