IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags CT humor , truther psychology

Old 11th December 2011, 06:44 AM   #1
David Swidler
Philosopher

Truther Mentality Flow Chart: Please Help

I've just posted the following to my blog: http://wp.me/pSXPz-uW

The tone is snarky, but I very much want input on making the content as close to the horrifyingly stupid reality as possible. How would you modify the chart, if at all, to add to the rich tapestry of numbskullery it portrays?

Be merciless. Or at least realistice.
David Swidler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2011, 07:03 AM   #2
NoahFence
Banned

You need to kick it over to the left a bit - the text on the right is behind links and whatnot.

There are also some that believe that planes did hit the towers, yet it was still controlled demolition. How the explosives survived is anybody's guess.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2011, 07:06 AM   #3
Scott Sommers
Illuminator

Originally Posted by David Swidler View Post

The tone is snarky, but I very much want input on making the content as close to the horrifyingly stupid reality as possible. How would you modify the chart, if at all, to add to the rich tapestry of numbskullery it portrays?

That snarky part...it's simply unacceptable to me. The JREF and particularly myself, hold the highest standards of politeness to our 9/11 Truther friends.

Anyway, I'm going to suggest that you have the names of individuals in there somewhere, like Judy Wood and Stevie Jones. That would entail different types of CDs, like the thermite CD or the explosives CD. You might also have a mixed model that relies of the question, "How much explosives were used?" and if it's only a little, then lead to the thermite CD...

Another suggestion is that you might want to link this in with who did. I see you have Mossad in there, but you might want to include the NWO or the reptilian overlords. This could lead to some sort of connect with other conspiracy beliefs.

That last point could be interesting. You could start off with 9/11 and then for the real crazies, have it take them to chemtrails, vaccination and the global depopulation. Just an idea that could illustrate how volumous it all really is.
Old 11th December 2011, 07:07 AM   #4
David Swidler
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
You need to kick it over to the left a bit - the text on the right is behind links and whatnot.

There are also some that believe that planes did hit the towers, yet it was still controlled demolition. How the explosives survived is anybody's guess.
Ooh- thanks for spotting that. Didn't preview it.

Forgot about that hybrid of stupid and stupid. Will have to figure out how to account for that.

Last edited by David Swidler; 11th December 2011 at 07:08 AM.
David Swidler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2011, 07:10 AM   #5
David Swidler
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Scott Sommers View Post
That snarky part...it's simply unacceptable to me. The JREF and particularly myself, hold the highest standards of politeness to our 9/11 Truther friends.

Anyway, I'm going to suggest that you have the names of individuals in there somewhere, like Judy Wood and Stevie Jones. That would entail different types of CDs, like the thermite CD or the explosives CD. You might also have a mixed model that relies of the question, "How much explosives were used?" and if it's only a little, then lead to the thermite CD...

Another suggestion is that you might want to link this in with who did. I see you have Mossad in there, but you might want to include the NWO or the reptilian overlords. This could lead to some sort of connect with other conspiracy beliefs.

That last point could be interesting. You could start off with 9/11 and then for the real crazies, have it take them to chemtrails, vaccination and the global depopulation. Just an idea that could illustrate how volumous it all really is.
Yeah, I've been mulling over how expansive to make this. Still haven't decided. There are space constraints, too. But thank you - this is good stuff.
Old 11th December 2011, 07:58 AM   #6
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

"Controlled demolition" needs more connections. Most believe the planes hit but CD was still needed (even the anti-Semites).

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2011, 08:13 AM   #7
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
"Controlled demolition" needs more connections. Most believe the planes hit but CD was still needed (even the anti-Semites).

"More connections" for just about everything. You need to emphasize exactly how convoluted these things are, with often mutually opposed claims arising out of the same set of facts.

Like, "There's no way these massive steel columns could have fallen straight down through the path of greatest resistance, but there's also no way these massive steel columns could have been flung hundreds of feet away."
Old 11th December 2011, 09:07 AM   #8
triforcharity
Banned

It really only needs one.

"Are you a "Truther"

Yes _________________________ No

You're and idiot. ________________ You're not an idiot.

Simple really.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2011, 09:23 AM   #9
TexasJack
Penultimate Amazing

Somehow you need to incorporate Building 7 and the Evil (yes, with a capital E) Jew Larry Silverstein. Remember, this is what brings in truthers by the dozen. It was the building that collapsed and killed so many, remember?
TexasJack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2011, 09:28 AM   #10
David Swidler
Philosopher

Thank you all - this is exactly what I'm looking for. Keep it coming, please.
Old 11th December 2011, 09:42 AM   #11
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Thank you all - this is exactly what I'm looking for. Keep it coming, please.
You're going to need a much bigger page. You do know there are hundreds of different "flavors" of "truth"? You haven't even touched the "Shanksville" or "Pentagon" groups. (or space beams, nukes, subterranean reptiles, .................................)

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41

Last edited by DGM; 11th December 2011 at 09:44 AM.
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2011, 09:45 AM   #12
plague311
Great minds think...

Would there be a way to mix in all the different versions of therm..whatever the hell? If REALLY over zealous maybe something along the lines of everything it can do in it's varying states.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2011, 10:21 AM   #13
David Swidler
Philosopher

Theoretically I can make the chart as big as I want, but I'd like to fit as much information into a screen or two as I possibly can. So the REALLY far-out stuff, such as space beams, reptiles and whatnot, will have to wait for some other occasion.

I'd like to substantially improve the graphic within the next day. If there's something you're positively burning to say on the subject (heated by jet fuel, natch), please do so ASAP.
Old 11th December 2011, 10:43 AM   #14
Philosopher

Shouldn't that be a Mobius strip?
000063 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2011, 02:19 PM   #15
David Swidler
Philosopher

Updated. Further remarks welcome.
Old 11th December 2011, 02:21 PM   #16
Edx
Philosopher

Why have it all lead to anti-Semitism?
Edx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2011, 02:26 PM   #17
David Swidler
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Edx View Post
Why have it all lead to anti-Semitism?
Because like the conspiracy theorists' minds, the chart format can only accommodate a certain amount of data before everything gets unwieldy and complicated, requiring oversimplification that necessarily distorts. Except that the chart's distortion is far closer to reality than the CT mentality.
Old 11th December 2011, 03:01 PM   #18
Aber
Graduate Poster

You missed out my favourite bit - 'cave-dwelling'
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2011, 03:09 PM   #19
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

You need a few stops along the paths where they search YouTube for the answers.

Old 11th December 2011, 03:11 PM   #20
David Swidler
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
You missed out my favourite bit - 'cave-dwelling'
You're right - fixed it.
Old 11th December 2011, 03:32 PM   #21
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
I love it!
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2011, 04:00 PM   #22
Robrob
Philosopher

"Molten metal"

"Nano-thermite"

"Space lasers"

"VoiceSims"

"Energy bubbles"
Robrob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2011, 02:33 PM   #23
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

Just head on over to 911myths.com for most of what you need. The old index (http://www.911myths.com/indexold.html) has most of the stuff that some of the more insane truthers still believe in.

About my avatar.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2011, 11:18 AM   #24
David Swidler
Philosopher

Got my first truther comment to the post - but it has to be moderated, and I can't decide whether to simply delete it (plenty of other places on the web to open up debate about this garbage) or publish it with a response. Here it is:
Quote:
Your an idiot that accepts what your feed. Eat your **** and drink your Kool-aid, clown.
And:
Quote:
^ fed. See the corrective nature? Not you zombie bots that won't do any real research.It'll be 3120AD and you'll still think 9/11 "truthers" are nuts. Long after your republic as dissolved and that key market in history itself was a ritual act depicting it.
If I do choose to respond, I'd love to know which of the many clear mental deficiencies to address first, and in what manner. So please weigh in on the merits of responding, and if so, how. My Dad was in the south tower, but I don't know much about debunking the CTs, just his experience.

Last edited by David Swidler; 21st December 2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Capitalization
Old 21st December 2011, 11:58 AM   #25
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Got my first truther comment to the post - but it has to be moderated, and I can't decide whether to simply delete it (plenty of other places on the web to open up debate about this garbage) or publish it with a response. Here it is:

ANd:

If I do choose to respond, I'd love to know which of the many clear mental deficiencies to address first, and in what manner. So please weigh in on the merits of responding, and if so, how. My Dad was in the south tower, but I don't know much about debunking the CTs, just his experience.
I think pointing and "laughing dog" works best.

Here's one if you need it,

This works too.

Old 21st December 2011, 09:46 PM   #26
dropzone
Master Poster

I looked at it but because it wasn't presented as a collection of YouTube videos I could not accept it as valid.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:59 PM   #27
David Swidler
Philosopher

Another one tried, this time with a YouTube clip. Decided to nip this in the bud, and posted the following comment:

Public Service Announcement: Please stop trying to submit comments debating the “facts” of the WTC collapse. My blog is for entertainment, not your delusions. The fact that you take satirical posts seriously says something about you, and it’s not flattering. Thank you.

The betting pool is open on the number of hours till the first cry of "Censorship!" et al.
Old 24th December 2011, 06:01 PM   #28
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Another one tried, this time with a YouTube clip. Decided to nip this in the bud, and posted the following comment:

Public Service Announcement: Please stop trying to submit comments debating the “facts” of the WTC collapse. My blog is for entertainment, not your delusions. The fact that you take satirical posts seriously says something about you, and it’s not flattering. Thank you.

The betting pool is open on the number of hours till the first cry of "Censorship!" et al.
Nice announcement.

It never ceases to amuse me when truthers respond to a commentary on their behaviour with behaviour that demonstrates exactly that commentary.

Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2011, 09:28 PM   #29
Robrob
Philosopher

Got my first truther comment to the post - but it has to be moderated, and I can't decide whether to simply delete it (plenty of other places on the web to open up debate about this garbage) or publish it with a response.
I'd delete the first one, profane and incoherent. The second one, not quite as ba as the first.

Strange isn't how many wingnuts there are in the world who cry about censorship and 1st Amendment Rights - in regards to posts on a PRIVATE PERSON'S WEBSITE!

It's like they think the Constitution applies to interactions between citizens and not just between the government and its citizens.
Robrob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th December 2011, 02:31 AM   #30
David Swidler
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Robrob View Post
I'd delete the first one, profane and incoherent. The second one, not quite as ba as the first.
It's the same person; the second is merely an amendment to the first.

Quote:
Strange isn't how many wingnuts there are in the world who cry about censorship and 1st Amendment Rights - in regards to posts on a PRIVATE PERSON'S WEBSITE!

It's like they think the Constitution applies to interactions between citizens and not just between the government and its citizens.
But it does! And it's all a big conspiracy to get the sheeple to think it doesn't! Eleventy!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories