IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags joe biden , political gaffes

Old 3rd October 2012, 12:37 PM   #1
ravdin
Illuminator

Joe Biden: Middle Class "Buried" in the last Four Years

Our gaffetastic veep is at it again:

Quote:
How they can justify raising taxes on the middle class that's been buried the last four years...?
With the much maligned "you didn't build that" slip I can at least see the case that Obama meant to say something else. What on earth was Joe Biden trying to say here?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ravdin View Post
What on earth was Joe Biden trying to say here?
Hillary in 2016?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:46 PM   #3
IXP
Graduate Poster

It's about time they were buried, the middle class has been dead since Reagan was elected.

IXP
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

That's just crazy Uncle Joe Biden and we all know that his mouth operates independently of his brain.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Hillary in 2016?
Yup.
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:57 PM   #6
geni
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Hillary in 2016?

I can't see the democrats wanting a 73 year old candidate in any case.
geni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Tricky
Briefly immortal

With the much maligned "you didn't build that" slip I can at least see the case that Obama meant to say something else. What on earth was Joe Biden trying to say here?
That the recession has been much harder on the middle class than on the wealthy, and we need to make it easer for them.

Of course, it is being spun by the right wing as if he is saying Obama has failed. What a shock.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:15 PM   #8
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

They warned me if I voted for McCain, we'd have an idiot as VP... and they were right!
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Spindrift

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
They warned me if I voted for McCain, we'd have an idiot as VP... and they were right!
He's not an idiot, he's nuts. There's a difference.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:27 PM   #10
ehcks
Illuminator

I'm not sure I understand. Sure, "buried" was a poor word, but the middle class have been doing poorly for more than just four years...
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:30 PM   #11
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Of course, it is being spun by the right wing as if he is saying Obama has failed. What a shock.
Yup, those far right fringe wackos are really jumping on Biden.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:36 PM   #12
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Oh noes! Jay Leno is mocking Biden now! The Democrats are truly in trouble!

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:40 PM   #13
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Excellent point. There a few more respected and incisive political editorials than the revered Jay Leno monologue. Of course, we won't have a true measure of the gravity of this situation until Jimmy Fallon weighs in.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:42 PM   #14
m-n-m
Scholar

Hillary in 2016?
I'd take Hillary over sarah palin or michele bachmann everyday. Hey Ziggurat, why do you think idiotic, anti intellectual women (palin, bachmann) gravitate toward your party, and become stars? Why are they consumed with so much contempt, while being soooo hypocritical? Thoughts?
m-n-m is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:42 PM   #15
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Excellent point. There a few more respected and incisive political editorials than the revered Jay Leno monologue. Of course, we won't have a true measure of the gravity of this situation until Jimmy Fallon weighs in.
To be fair, Jay Leno making fun of a politician during his Tonight Show monologue is unprecedented. This could be just the game-changer that the Romney campaign has been waiting for!

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:45 PM   #16
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Originally Posted by ANTPogo View Post
After all, talk show hosts are always careful never to poke fun at Democrats. I'll bet you can't even remember them cracking a joke during the Clinton-Lewinski scandal.

Sure, it's worth a joke or two. But it's still pulling a sentence or two out of context. Not even in the same universe as Romney's 47% video.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:45 PM   #17
johnny karate

To be fair, Jay Leno making fun of a politician during his Tonight Show monologue is unprecedented. This could be just the game-changer that the Romney campaign has been waiting for!
That's a good point. I'd be hard-pressed to come up with an instance in which a comedian ever mocked a politician, let alone a sitting vice-president.

This will be a day long remembered in the annals of politics.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:46 PM   #18
Spindrift

And not one of his bests. I like this one better.

Quote:
Referring to McCain's admonishment of Bachmann's comments regarding Hillary Clinton aide Huma Abedin, the Tonight Show host quipped, "When the guy who picked Sarah Palin says you are crazy, you are crazy.
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:46 PM   #19
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I never said they were in trouble because of this. In fact, it won't really matter at all: Biden is a buffoon, the economy sucks, everybody knows that, and this is nothing new. My point, which you seem either unaware of or determined to avoid, is that it's not just the right wing which interprets Biden's comments as implicating Obama, contrary to Tricky's implication.
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:48 PM   #20
NotJesus
Unsaviory

And the monologue is the part of the show Jay's geezer audience is actually awake for. We're dooomed!
NotJesus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:49 PM   #21
Spindrift

I never said they were in trouble because of this. In fact, it won't really matter at all: Biden is a buffoon, the economy sucks, everybody knows that, and this is nothing new. My point, which you seem either unaware of or determined to avoid, is that it's not just the right wing which interprets Biden's comments as implicating Obama, contrary to Tricky's implication.
So lots of people misinterpreted. And?
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:49 PM   #22
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by m-n-m View Post
I'd take Hillary over sarah palin or michele bachmann everyday. Hey Ziggurat, why do you think idiotic, anti intellectual women (palin, bachmann) gravitate toward your party, and become stars? Why are they consumed with so much contempt, while being soooo hypocritical? Thoughts?
My thoughts are that you seem intent on trying to personalize this, and in changing the topic, neither of which I have any interest in doing in this thread.
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:49 PM   #23
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

My point, which you seem either unaware of or determined to avoid,
No, I'm mocking your point. There's a difference.

Quote:
is that it's not just the right wing which interprets Biden's comments as implicating Obama, contrary to Tricky's implication.
Yes, it's the right wing, and Jay Leno. This will surely turn Romney's sagging poll numbers right around.

Old 3rd October 2012, 01:51 PM   #24
Tricky
Briefly immortal

My point, which you seem either unaware of or determined to avoid, is that it's not just the right wing which interprets Biden's comments as implicating Obama, contrary to Tricky's implication.
Then you should be able to find some left-wing commentators or politicians (not professional comics) who are apologizing for it or are trying to make it clear that they disagree with Biden, right?
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:55 PM   #25
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Then you should be able to find some left-wing commentators or politicians (not professional comics) who are apologizing for it or are trying to make it clear that they disagree with Biden, right?
Why should I do that? That's not what I claimed. Anyways, it's Joe Biden. People have long-since given up on apologizing for Biden. Pretty much everybody either just makes fun of him or ignores him. I'm not demanding that anybody do more than that.
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:57 PM   #26
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

No, I'm mocking your point. There's a difference.
You're right, my mistake. I keep expecting whit to be part of mockery, but it's not technically required.
Old 3rd October 2012, 01:59 PM   #27
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Why should I do that? That's not what I claimed.
Of course. Nothing anyone replies to you is ever what you claimed.

But here's what you said:
Originally Posted by Ziggurat
The implication, clear to anyone, is that it is the left wing jumping on Biden. But oh no NO! That is NOT what you meant at ALL! You're so misunderstood.
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:05 PM   #28
ravdin
Illuminator

After all, talk show hosts are always careful never to poke fun at Democrats. I'll bet you can't even remember them cracking a joke during the Clinton-Lewinski scandal.

Sure, it's worth a joke or two. But it's still pulling a sentence or two out of context. Not even in the same universe as Romney's 47% video.
I'll accept that Biden's words were taken out of context if we can agree that the man suffers from an acute case of verbal diarrhea and we can't take anything he says seriously.

Believe what you're told. There would be chaos if everyone thought for themselves. -Top Dog slogan
ravdin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:06 PM   #29
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

The implication, clear to anyone, is that it is the left wing jumping on Biden. But oh no NO! That is NOT what you meant at All! You're so misunderstood.
No, the obvious implication is that Leno isn't right-wing. You have created a false dichotomy: people don't have to be either right-wing or left-wing. I wouldn't describe Leno as either, I think he's pretty centrist. But unless you want to claim that he's right-wing (and you haven't done so), then his jab at Biden undermines your original point that the attack is just from the right.
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:09 PM   #30
Tricky
Briefly immortal

I'll accept that Biden's words were taken out of context if we can agree that the man suffers from an acute case of verbal diarrhea and we can't take anything he says seriously.
He's certainly no good at off-the-cuff comments, but if you drill past his sloppy language, his points have substance.
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:11 PM   #31
johnny karate

I would really hate to be an intern at the RNC right now. The grueling hours they must have to spend poring over every video and audio clip, every quote, desperately trying to find something - anything - to make people forget the complete and utter disdain Romney expressed for half the country.
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:12 PM   #32
m-n-m
Scholar

My thoughts are that you seem intent on trying to personalize this, and in changing the topic, neither of which I have any interest in doing in this thread.
You introduced Hilary, not me. So I'm on point.

And coincidently, this is what I expect romney's talking points to be after he gets his ass handed to him. Preach accountability, but always play the victim.
m-n-m is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:12 PM   #33
Tricky
Briefly immortal

No, the obvious implication is that Leno isn't right-wing. You have created a false dichotomy: people don't have to be either right-wing or left-wing. I wouldn't describe Leno as either, I think he's pretty centrist. But unless you want to claim that he's right-wing (and you haven't done so), then his jab at Biden undermines your original point that the attack is just from the right.
"Erm... uh... what I meant was, 'Your Majesty shines out like a shaft of gold when all around is dark.'"
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:13 PM   #34
ravdin
Illuminator

He's certainly no good at off-the-cuff comments, but if you drill past his sloppy language, his points have substance.
That the middle class has been hard hit over the last four years? There's no disagreement here! It's just that most politicians running for office don't mindlessly parrot their opponent's talking points.

Old 3rd October 2012, 02:14 PM   #35
Cleon
King of the Pod People

This thread is the most relevant Jay Leno has been since Conan left NBC.
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:14 PM   #36
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

I would really hate to be an intern at the RNC right now. The grueling hours they must have to spend poring over every video and audio clip, every quote, desperately trying to find something - anything - to make people forget the complete and utter disdain Romney expressed for half the country.
"Look! Over there! A five-year-old speech Obama made that the media widely reported on at the time! A joke Jay Leno made in his monologue! Please look...why aren't you looking?!"

Old 3rd October 2012, 02:17 PM   #37
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by m-n-m View Post
You introduced Hilary, not me. So I'm on point.
Context, my dear boy, context. And why so angry? Does it really pain you that someone makes fun of Joe Biden? Joe Biden, for FSM's sake! Is he really the newest sacred cow?
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:17 PM   #38
Tricky
Briefly immortal

That the middle class has been hard hit over the last four years? There's no disagreement here! It's just that most politicians running for office don't mindlessly parrot their opponent's talking points.
Neither Biden nor Obama have denied that the last four years have been tough. That is certainly not a new meme to the Democratic camp. But the Republican meme is to add "...and it's Obama's fault". I don't think Biden was 'mindlessly parroting' that position.

And as you say, you agree with him. Most people agree with him. But yeah, it's worth a few jokes.
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:18 PM   #39
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Hah! That is hilarious.

He spoke the truth by mistake.
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:19 PM   #40
Olowkow
Philosopher

I think he is just a simple truthful person who really cares about his country. I honestly don't believe Biden would be a good president, but I would love to sit around a blue collar bar with him and hear his story telling.

I'm not even sure what the hilited phrase means, but he seems to mean that the middle class has been buried by the BS that a do nothing congress has imposed on it. I somehow find it difficult to imagine that he meant that the middle class has been buried by the president...given that he would like for Obama to be re-elected.

My own opinion is that our country has stagnated because of the house and the senate's unwillingness to think outside the box. It has been 4 years of "highest priority is to make Obama a 1 term president". That's what has buried us, not Obama. As for republicans' motivations, I used to think I understood them, but now I'm not sure. I think their reasoning is a lot baser than I had ever allowed myself to believe.

Last edited by Olowkow; 3rd October 2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: disambiguation
Olowkow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics