IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags joe biden

Old 14th October 2012, 01:48 PM   #1
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Why is Biden so disliked?

I don't really get why. OK, he seems to make a lot of gaffes, and that's bad for a public figure. But does he have like, any strongly disagreeable positions or something?

Some seem to consider him a Democratic Sarah Palin, but I've never seen any of the bizarre disconnection from reality that she embodied in Biden.

So, educate me.
Old 14th October 2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Alferd_Packer
Philosopher

He's a Democrat and Republicans hate all democrats with the white hot passion of a thousand suns.

Or something like that.
Old 14th October 2012, 01:56 PM   #3
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Although you are right that Biden is not nearly as brainless as Sarah Palin, the dislike is still a payback for the Dems (and most of the world) making fun of Palin's stupidity. It is an ongoing tu quoque that has little to do with Biden's positions or intelligence, and everything to do with the need to find a foil that the Reps can laugh at. It works with extreme partisans, but most folks agree that Biden, at the very least, came out even with Ryan in the debate, and that was against the guy who is supposed to be one of the smartest men in the GOP.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 02:09 PM   #4
R.Mackey
Philosopher

He was kind of a schmuck back in the 80's. However I think he matured into a more reasonable legislator, albeit one with a tendency to go all loose cannon once in a while.

"Of course I'm respectable, I'm old. Ugly buildings, politicians, and whores all get respectable, if they last long enough." (John Huston in Chinatown)
R.Mackey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 02:14 PM   #5
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

He was a blue collar guy and speaks with blue collar terms and passion. Republicans really only pay attention to aristocrats and think everyone else is a "taker."
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 03:42 PM   #6
logger
Banned

If you don't think Biden is a schmuck, what does it say about you?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 03:43 PM   #7
Alferd_Packer
Philosopher

http://www.lettersofnote.com/2011/01/biden.html

Quote:
On September 5th of 1994, eager to pose a question, 8th-grade student Branden Brooks found himself raising his hand during the Q&A session of a presentation by then-Senator Joe Biden. After the event, having noticed the young man's stutter as he spoke, Biden pulled him to one side:
Sen. Biden told me that he used to stutter as a kid but never let it interfere with his life goals. In fact, Sen. Biden added that he would purposely seek public speaking opportunities (such as acting in plays) to force himself to speak in public.
A week later, Branden received the following letter. Immediately acting on Biden's advice, he successfully ran for class president and held the position throughout high-school and college. Since graduating, he has worked in Delaware as a prosecutor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5392509437_73c21ae993_o.jpg (76.7 KB, 49 views)
Old 14th October 2012, 04:09 PM   #8
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
He was a blue collar guy and speaks with blue collar terms and passion. Republicans really only pay attention to aristocrats and think everyone else is a "taker."
Partly this. He's also one of the few politicians who isn't a stuffed shirt, and who seems to genuinely give a crap about people other than himself.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 04:11 PM   #9
fuelair
Banned

I do not think Biden is either a schmuck or a fool. I suspect he is, if you are one, a very dangerous person to mess with.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 04:17 PM   #10
Olowkow
Philosopher

Originally Posted by logger View Post
If you don't think Biden is a schmuck, what does it say about you?
That I'm a human being with a sense of humor who can recognize a genuine person?

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Partly this. He's also one of the few politicians who isn't a stuffed shirt, and who seems to genuinely give a crap about people other than himself.
He has always helped me maintain my dwindling hope that there are decent politicians.
Olowkow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 04:17 PM   #11
dropzone
Master Poster

Alferd_Packer, you voracious Democrat-eater, you done brought a tear to my eye with that.
dropzone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 04:18 PM   #12
Cain
Straussian

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8b5_1219507341

I think this is the year he also plagiarized part of a speech.

So, that's what to dislike. On the like front there was his classic advice to Obama pre-debate to "rub one out," and then the fact that washes his Trans-Am on the White House lawn.
Old 14th October 2012, 05:45 PM   #13
applecorped
Banned

“I think I have a much higher I.Q. than you do I suspect. I went to law school on a full academic scholarship – the only one in my class to have a full academic scholarship.”

http://washingtonexaminer.com/biden-...3#.UHtcfFQzLhU
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 06:13 PM   #14
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
“I think I have a much higher I.Q. than you do I suspect. I went to law school on a full academic scholarship – the only one in my class to have a full academic scholarship.”

http://washingtonexaminer.com/biden-...3#.UHtcfFQzLhU
I like it! He has a back bone.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 07:17 PM   #15
eeyore1954
Philosopher

You like that he apparently lied on these points.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 07:23 PM   #16
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
He is willing to care about other people as long as he doesn't have to give much of his own money. Look at his schedule a charitable deductions.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 07:46 PM   #17
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

He lied on every single one of the factual points which could be checked. Of course, he lied while Democrat, which is forgivable to many.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 08:13 PM   #18
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
I don't really get why. OK, he seems to make a lot of gaffes, and that's bad for a public figure. But does he have like, any strongly disagreeable positions or something?

Some seem to consider him a Democratic Sarah Palin, but I've never seen any of the bizarre disconnection from reality that she embodied in Biden.

So, educate me.
Biden was elected to the U.S. Senate seven times, the first time in 1970 when he was 30 years old. As a member and sometime chairman of the Judiciary Committee he was actively involved in law enforcement issues, and he presided over the Robert Bork and Clarence Thomas confirmation hearings. He was also a member and sometime chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations committee, and was active in diplomatic and foreign policy issues. Sometimes his mouth gets ahead of his brain, and he has been known to embellish his stories, but he has a long record of substantial legislative accomplishment. He also set an extraordinary example of surviving loss when his first wife and baby daughter were killed and his two young sons were badly injured in a traffic accident weeks after his first election. He managed to move forward with his life. Most days he rode the train to Washington from Delaware and returned home at night to be with his sons. He's nowhere close to a perfect guy, but as politicians go he's one of the good ones. And I've never heard of anybody calling him a "Democratic Sarah Palin."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Biden
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2012, 08:44 PM   #19
daredelvis
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
He lied on every single one of the factual points which could be checked. Of course, he lied while Democrat, which is forgivable to many.
Am I supposed to just take your word for that, or do you have a link to some weak ass pajamas media or hotair blog as "evidence" for your claim??

Daredelvis
Old 14th October 2012, 08:53 PM   #20
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by daredelvis View Post
Am I supposed to just take your word for that, or do you have a link to some weak ass pajamas media or hotair blog as "evidence" for your claim??

Daredelvis
Did you follow the link?
Here is a different one from the LA Times
http://articles.latimes.com/1987-09-...4_1_law-school
Old 14th October 2012, 09:02 PM   #21
daredelvis
Master Poster

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
Did you follow the link?
Here is a different one from the LA Times
http://articles.latimes.com/1987-09-...4_1_law-school
Gahh,,, I thought Brainster was referring to the recent debate. Watched the tape, and read your link. Biden was a prick in that exchange. I tend to take any unsourced claim by Brainster with a massive grain of salt.

Daredelvis
Old 14th October 2012, 09:51 PM   #22
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Which of those points have anything to do with policy? How long ago was it? Does Biden still tell lies like this? Did Biden ever lie about a marathon time?
Old 14th October 2012, 09:59 PM   #23
SezMe
post-pre-born

He is willing to care about other people as long as he doesn't have to give much of his own money. Look at his schedule a charitable deductions.
While you're there, look at his (and Jill's) total income. Pretty low for a man with his power. Years (decades?) ago he could have gone private or gone lobbyist and made millions. He's stay in service to his country. In that light I don't much care about his Schedule A.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2012, 03:23 AM   #24
mikedenk
Graduate Poster

I give a lot of credit to Biden on his political instincts.

After all, if you're going to be a racist, plagiarizing, lying, obnoxious clown, it behooves you to join the party where you won't be held accountable.

As to the OP's question: I don't think he's all that disliked, my above comments notwithstanding. YMMV of course. Compared to the loathing directed towards Obama (or Bush/Cheney/Clinton(s)/Gore/Romney/Palin), he's practically ignored.
mikedenk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2012, 03:31 AM   #25
Halfcentaur
Philosopher

People are dumb. They are trapped living in the now, warping the memories of their past and unable to realistically plan for the future. It seems it doesn't matter what you have done or said in the past anymore as long as you say what you need to in the present.

We're an animal imprisoned in a bubble of confirmation bias which is robbing us of clarity and truth.

I've got what's needed to change all of this, if you send me three payments of 19.99 plus shipping.
Halfcentaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2012, 06:20 AM   #26
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
While you're there, look at his (and Jill's) total income. Pretty low for a man with his power. Years (decades?) ago he could have gone private or gone lobbyist and made millions. He's stay in service to his country. In that light I don't much care about his Schedule A.
I do agree with you on that point. Many other politicians even those who have not taken lucrative jobs based upon their position are somehow able to amass great personal wealth just by being Senators and Representatives.

But it still doesn't answer for me why he is not willing to give more of his personal money to help others if he is so interested in the plight of the poor, homeless etc.
Old 15th October 2012, 06:36 AM   #27
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore1954
Which of those points have anything to do with policy? How long ago was it? Does Biden still tell lies like this? Did Biden ever lie about a marathon time?
How do any of these address whether or not you like that he lied on those points? Or your apparent belief that lying is a sign of a backbone.
Old 15th October 2012, 06:39 AM   #28
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mikedenk View Post
As to the OP's question: I don't think he's all that disliked, my above comments notwithstanding. YMMV of course. Compared to the loathing directed towards Obama (or Bush/Cheney/Clinton(s)/Gore/Romney/Palin), he's practically ignored.
I agree with the above comment also. I have not seen much of people disliking him. Making fun of misstatements yes. But in reality almost all politicians make a lot of gaffs.
Old 15th October 2012, 06:42 AM   #29
IDB87
Illuminator

He makes gaffes, and the Right sees that as a weakness and of course pounces on it. It's a lot easier to attack a person who misspeaks than it is to go after their policies.
Old 15th October 2012, 06:43 AM   #30
Monketi Ghost
Confusion Reactor

Originally Posted by Alferd_Packer View Post
Thumbs up!
Monketi Ghost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2012, 06:51 AM   #31
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Am I the only one who dislikes Biden for his "questions" of Presidential cabinet/court nominees which consisted of a long soliloquy followed by a "have you stopped beating your wife" type of question?
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2012, 07:22 AM   #32
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Really? According to Politifact:

Biden - 1 True, 2 Half True, 1 Mostly False
Ryan - 1 Mostly True, 2 Mostly False, 1 False

It looks to me like Biden was much more truthful than Ryan.

Lying about lying is so meta.

Last edited by Tricky; 15th October 2012 at 07:23 AM.
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2012, 07:25 AM   #33
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Am I the only one who dislikes Biden for his "questions" of Presidential cabinet/court nominees which consisted of a long soliloquy followed by a "have you stopped beating your wife" type of question?
Not by a longshot. Rush agrees with you, as does Robert Bork, I'm sure.

As to the OP:

He's this week's flavor. The media, both news and entertainment, pretty much goes for the lowest common denominator. Lyndon Johnson was a Central Texas Hick, Gerald for was really Clumsy Carp, Dan Quayle was an idiot, Howard Dean was a raving lunatic, Al Gore was stiff as a board, Romney was gaff-prone and insensitive and this week, Biden's Mrs. Malaprop.

Leno, Letterman, O'Brian, SNL, CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox (yes, even Fox, hard as that may seem) all fall into the pattern.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2012, 07:38 AM   #34
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Biden's disliked because he replaced a longrunning, popular, beloved character who moved on. But its wrong to judge him for not being Angel, it's not his fault he had bad writing. I think that ultimately, as Buffy herself realized too late, that Biden was a better match for her than Angel. (Had she known that Angel would hook up with Cordelia she would have realized it sooner.)
Old 15th October 2012, 07:45 AM   #35
DavidJames
Penultimate Amazing

But it still doesn't answer for me why he is not willing to give more of his personal money to help others if he is so interested in the plight of the poor, homeless etc.
Very nice, eeyore1954 gets to decide what's the appropriate clip level for how much someone must give before they claim to care for others. What a smug ******* you are.
For 15 years I never put anyone on ignore. I felt it important to see everyone's view point. Finally I realized the value of some views can be measured in negative terms and were personally destructive.
DavidJames is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2012, 09:29 AM   #36
Tiktaalik
Half True Scotsperson

I used to not like him, primarily because I thought he was a blustering loudmouth who said stupid stuff.

I've changed my mind. I kinda love him now. In fact, I wish more Democrats were like him. He has guts, he doesn't back down, he's got a sense of humor, he's obviously smart, and it appears to me he believes what he's saying.
Tiktaalik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2012, 09:54 AM   #37
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

He's not Sarah Palin. That's why.
Old 15th October 2012, 09:58 AM   #38
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Daredelvis
This is a pretty amazing level of fallacy, even for this forum. Sort of a pre-emptive poisoning of the well would be my best guess at what to call it.

Well played, Daredelvis. You should get some sort of award.
Old 15th October 2012, 10:33 AM   #39
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Daredelvis
Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
This is a pretty amazing level of fallacy, even for this forum. Sort of a pre-emptive poisoning of the well would be my best guess at what to call it.

Well played, Daredelvis. You should get some sort of award.
There's one easy way to beat that fallacy. Provide a link to a reputable source. I've already provided one link to Politifact, which is a Pulitzer Prize-winning source, showing that Brainster's claim is more than a little bit questionable.

So what about you, S-D-A-L? You got anything to bring to the table?
Old 15th October 2012, 10:46 AM   #40
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
There's one easy way to beat that fallacy. Provide a link to a reputable source. I've already provided one link to Politifact, which is a Pulitzer Prize-winning source, showing that Brainster's claim is more than a little bit questionable.
Perhaps you should look deeper into Brainster's claim to see what precisely he was claiming before you put up a scorecard.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics