IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags laptops , ultrabooks

Old 13th December 2012, 12:17 AM   #1
L.Y.S.
Illuminator

Anyone know where to find laptop barebone kits?

I've been searching for laptop barebone kits and can't find a reliable website for it. I'm just searching for the heck of it. I might want to build a laptop after 6 or 7 months for leisure purposes. I can't find it and it's puzzling to me. Any hint of where to look?
L.Y.S. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2012, 12:20 AM   #2
nvidiot
Botanical Jedi

I don't think they exist anymore. I mean I've never seen one available but I haven't really looked.

What's the lappy going to be for? Most reputable manufacturers have good basic units available at very low prices now.
Old 13th December 2012, 12:42 AM   #3
L.Y.S.
Illuminator

Originally Posted by nvidiot View Post
I don't think they exist anymore. I mean I've never seen one available but I haven't really looked.

What's the lappy going to be for? Most reputable manufacturers have good basic units available at very low prices now.
I could potentially make it for a portable gaming and music station. I recently made another post about video cards in which I discussed that I was interested in making my own gaming computer, which I have successfully completed. This is why Iím in no rush to build this, but it would be nice down the line when I graduate to have my own personal gaming laptop to use in public without having to spend $ 2,000 on it. For $ 2,000 I could make the top of the Desktop P.C. So I figured it'd be cheaper to simply by the components.

I didn't know however, that they stopped making barebone kits for laptops. If this is true, it's a sad event indeed. I'm sort of skeptical because I did see online that they still offer memory for the laptop, yet they do not offer things like CPUs or video cards. I just want to buy one with an i-7 processor in the inside and an already decent video card. But this may now be impossible if what you say is true.
L.Y.S. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2012, 01:07 AM   #4
Wudang
BOFH

I'd guess the laptop market is different because they're sold as a unit and have to be engineered to fit in as small a case as possible and those cases have different design constraints. Best I could find was http://www.laptopaid.com/
Old 13th December 2012, 01:58 AM   #5
L.Y.S.
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
I'd guess the laptop market is different because they're sold as a unit and have to be engineered to fit in as small a case as possible and those cases have different design constraints. Best I could find was http://www.laptopaid.com/
So I'm guessing barebone kits are no. It would be nice if those did still exist for laptops, it would be a lot of fun to design a laptop. Oh well, I'm not complaining, I have a brand new computer. I just wanted a cool laptop to go with it.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:30 AM   #6
L.Y.S.
Illuminator

Can a used laptop be used in a barebones kit's stead?
Old 14th December 2012, 02:36 AM   #7
Wudang
BOFH

I'd guess to a degree - problem is many laptops are made to tight specs with custom parts. Dell and IBM used to be terrible for this.
Old 14th December 2012, 06:15 AM   #8
Eudaemonic Plague
Thinker

Originally Posted by L.Y.S. View Post
I've been searching for laptop barebone kits and can't find a reliable website for it. I'm just searching for the heck of it. I might want to build a laptop after 6 or 7 months for leisure purposes. I can't find it and it's puzzling to me. Any hint of where to look?
Some years ago, I bought a barebones MSI laptop from AVADirect. It's a pretty good little machine, and I hope to get it back some day.

Anyway, I just checked, and they are still selling barebones laptops. I have to admit that their customer service leaves a bit to be desired, though. My laptop came missing the metal piece that holds the harddrive in, and I had to argue with them for a bit before they finally got one sent to me. Otherwise, they will install the parts (assuming you bought the parts from them) and test it for free.
Eudaemonic Plague is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th December 2012, 06:27 PM   #9
L.Y.S.
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Eudaemonic Plague View Post
Some years ago, I bought a barebones MSI laptop from AVADirect. It's a pretty good little machine, and I hope to get it back some day.

Anyway, I just checked, and they are still selling barebones laptops. I have to admit that their customer service leaves a bit to be desired, though. My laptop came missing the metal piece that holds the harddrive in, and I had to argue with them for a bit before they finally got one sent to me. Otherwise, they will install the parts (assuming you bought the parts from them) and test it for free.
So no to the laptop. I wish I could find a cheap i7 laptop and just throw in some good memory and call it a day.
Old 17th December 2012, 07:43 PM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You could always look at what this guy is up to:

http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=2686

http://www.kosagi.com/w/index.php?ti...vena_Main_Page
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet