IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gun control , joe biden , self-defense laws

Old 1st March 2013, 09:46 AM   #1
bynmdsue
Graduate Poster

Self-Defense Advice From VP Joe Biden

Buy a shotgun.

Quote:
Get a double-barreled shotgun. Have the shells in the 12 gauge shotgun. And I promise you...as I told my wife...we live in an area that's in the woods and somewhat secluded. I said, 'Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony here, walk out and put that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house. I promise you whoever is coming in is not going to...You don't need an AR-15. It's harder to aim, it's harder to use and in fact, you don't need 30 rounds to protect yourself. Buy a shotgun, buy a shotgun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHZ7z...layer_embedded

That's indiscriminate warning shots covered so if there's any doubt left why Joe Biden is the administration's point man on gun control let them be put to rest...

Quote:
I did one of these town-hall meetings on the Internet and one guy said, “Well, what happens when the end days come? What happens when there’s the earthquake? I live in California, and I have to protect myself.”

I said, “Well, you know, my shotgun will do better for you than your AR-15, because you want to keep someone away from your house, just fire the shotgun through the door.”
http://www.fieldandstream.com/articl...iden-interview

Joe Biden, a danger to himself and others.
bynmdsue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 09:52 AM   #2
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Quote:
Well, what happens when the end days come?
They won't

Quote:
What happens when there’s the earthquake
Getting out there with a shovel would be more useful, I'd be more concerned with trying to help anyone hurt or trapped by the quake than shooting them.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 09:56 AM   #3
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Does Biden think his wife will be able to club the intruders to death with her now-empty shotgun? Ignring the fact that such "warning shots" get you thrown in jail in most places.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 09:59 AM   #4
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Odin's left eye no! Why didn't he learn better than this while researching the topic?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 10:13 AM   #5
Cylinder
Philosopher

Man charged for firing gun in home

Quote:
- A 22-year-old man found himself facing a summons after he told officers he fired his shotgun repeatedly upon finding masked suspects leaning in his window.

According to Grazia Moyers with the Virginia Beach Police Department, officers responded to the 500 block of Mango Drive around 10:30 p.m. Saturday for a report of shots fired.

There, they spoke with the resident, Trevor Lamont Snowden, who told police his dog was acting strange. When he walked to his bedroom, he said he saw two masked suspects leaning in his open window.

Snowden told police the suspects pointed weapons at him and told him to shut the bedroom door. Thinking the suspects were going to rob him, he moved into the hallway and retrieved a shotgun.

Moyers said Snowden fired through his bedroom door, then opened the door and fired several more rounds toward the window. Any suspects fled the area and could not be located by officers.
It's just never a good idea to shoot through a door unless it's about to bust off its hinges- you don't really know who's on the other side and even if it's a bad guy the prosecutor will argue that the door removed the immediate nature of the threat .

It's unfathomable that Wild Joe Biden would make a rookie error like this considering Oscar Pistorius' recent court troubles.
If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed ; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than live as slaves. - Winston Churchill, The Gathering Storm

Last edited by Cylinder; 1st March 2013 at 11:05 AM.
Cylinder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 10:24 AM   #6
paiute
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Does Biden think his wife will be able to club the intruders to death with her now-empty shotgun? Ignring the fact that such "warning shots" get you thrown in jail in most places.
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36568510/A...-of-Cadaverine
paiute is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 10:53 AM   #7
GeeMack
Banned

Indeed. About 80% of the USA population lives in urban areas. It would be illegal to fire a shotgun into the air in the vast majority of the country.
GeeMack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 11:04 AM   #8
Cylinder
Philosopher

What I haven't worked out is why Buckshot Biden is so focused on modern sporting rifles. A single 12-gauge 3-1/2" 00 shell fires 18 .33 caliber projectiles each time the trigger is pulled. Is there some kind of American Walnut lobby that I'm unaware of?
If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed ; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than live as slaves. - Winston Churchill, The Gathering Storm
Cylinder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 11:08 AM   #9
StankApe
Banned

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

FF to around 25 seconds and let it fly
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 11:47 AM   #10
Xulld
Master Poster

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Odin's left eye no! Why didn't he learn better than this while researching the topic?
Research involved watching reruns of The Andy Griffith show.

Freedom of Speech is a right recognized in the First Amendment. Freedom from consequence is nowhere to be found. -Bstrong
Xulld is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 11:55 AM   #11
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

That's two vice presidents in a row who shouldn't have shotguns. Is this going to be a pattern?
Old 1st March 2013, 11:58 AM   #12
Xulld
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
That's two vice presidents in a row who shouldn't have shotguns. Is this going to be a pattern?
Its actually a new requirement to prevent presidential assassination to have a brain dead VP.

Freedom of Speech is a right recognized in the First Amendment. Freedom from consequence is nowhere to be found. -Bstrong
Xulld is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 01:53 PM   #13
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Stolen from another forum:

Quote:
He should teach self-defense classes.

Step 1: Put yourself in full view of your attacker.
Step 2: Dispose of your ammunition by firing it in the air.
Step 3: ?
Step 4: Profit.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 02:54 PM   #14
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

Empty your weapon into the air and hope that the bad guys can't count up to two? And this is the person that the president is trusting to come up with reasonable and effective gun control?

About my avatar.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 03:03 PM   #15
Monza
Alta Viro

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post

OK, that was funny.
Monza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 07:52 PM   #16
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by paiute View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCat
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Hypothetical: Noise Jill Biden hears is actually police in searching for miscreant. Woman emerges from house with shotgun, fires two rounds. What happens next?

A: carried by 6
Old 1st March 2013, 08:32 PM   #17
paiute
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
Hypothetical: Noise Jill Biden hears is actually police in searching for miscreant. Woman emerges from house with shotgun, fires two rounds. What happens next?

A: carried by 6
Hypothetical: The Queen of England can shoot death rays from her eyes, and Godzilla is wading up the Thames.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/36568510/A...-of-Cadaverine
paiute is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2013, 11:29 PM   #18
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by paiute View Post
Hypothetical: The Queen of England can shoot death rays from her eyes, and Godzilla is wading up the Thames.
Godzilla is foolish to challenge the Queen. Rumor has it she can shoot death rays from her eyes!
Old 2nd March 2013, 02:12 AM   #19
SezMe
post-pre-born

Does Biden think his wife will be able to club the intruders to death with her now-empty shotgun?
Does WildCat think that Ms. Biden is too dumb to know how to reload a shotgun?
SezMe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 02:14 AM   #20
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by StankApe View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Does StankApe think that a video of idiots making fools of themselves provide evidence for anything?
SezMe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 03:03 AM   #21
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

What I find interesting is that he was fielding a question from someone who apparently thinks you need an AR-15 for home defense. Are there any homes in this country currently besieged by zombies? Because that is about the only situation I can think of where something as overpowered as an AR-15 is necessary to protect your home.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 04:33 AM   #22
mikedenk
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
What I find interesting is that he was fielding a question from someone who apparently thinks you need an AR-15 for home defense. Are there any homes in this country currently besieged by zombies? Because that is about the only situation I can think of where something as overpowered as an AR-15 is necessary to protect your home.

It may be overkill for some. Additionally, high-velocity rounds tend to punch through things like walls and doors and keep on going. A lot of people feel that a shotgun is a very nice home defense weapon: easy to use; plenty of stopping power; relatively little penetration.

But if you're worried about intruders who themselves may be carrying a gun, a rifle gives you a significant firepower advantage.

I would guess (totally guess) that many people who have an AR in the home are thinking of uses beyond home defense against an occasional creeper. Prepping or whatever.

Last edited by mikedenk; 2nd March 2013 at 04:37 AM.
mikedenk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 04:43 AM   #23
angrysoba
Philosophile

What would Biden do if he thought there was an intruder in his bathroom? Two warning shots through the door?
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 04:49 AM   #24
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I AGREE

A very humorous way of showing how bad advice translates into idiotic actions. This is why I think those who want guns for self defence should have to undergo mandatory training and assessment.

It is mad that citizens can just go and buy a gun and on the advice of their VP fire randomly in the direction of a possible threat.

Any Americans who wonder why so many non Americans get involved in US gun control issues should understand it is because we watch with utter bemusement and astonished amazement at what some Americans get up to with guns. We are doing a reality check just to make sure what have seen or read is serious or not.
Old 2nd March 2013, 06:18 AM   #25
RenaissanceBiker
Eats shoots and leaves.

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Any Americans who wonder why so many non Americans get involved in US gun control issues should understand it is because we watch with utter bemusement and astonished amazement at what some Americans get up to with guns. We are doing a reality check just to make sure what have seen or read is serious or not.
You should go stand under Jill Biden's balcony and tell her that.
Old 2nd March 2013, 07:40 AM   #26
Pope130
Illuminator

I have to wonder what Mrs. Biden's Secret Service detail would think of her stepping out on the balcony and letting off a couple of rounds (or firing through a door).
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 07:43 AM   #27
NWO Sentryman
Proud NWO Gatekeeper

Obama's (probable) reaction:

I AGREE
Old 2nd March 2013, 10:12 AM   #28
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I guarantee Biden has far more than even an AR-15 protecting his home.

His suggestions are for you, not important people like him and your typical Chicago alderman or Illinois legislator.
WildCat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 11:09 AM   #29
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RenaissanceBiker View Post
You should go stand under Jill Biden's balcony and tell her that.
No thanks, she will just shoot me first and ask questions later, too late to discover I posed no threat to her what so ever.
Old 2nd March 2013, 11:25 AM   #30
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Does WildCat think that Ms. Biden is too dumb to know how to reload a shotgun?
You think she walks around with shotgun shells in her pocket?
Old 2nd March 2013, 11:46 AM   #31
StankApe
Banned

No Wildcat, she's just happy to see you!
StankApe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 03:10 PM   #32
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

I get the feeling that a lot of people here don't really understand the difference between a double barreled shot gun and a pump action shotgun and why, when Biden said to fire BOTH barrels, he is being derided.

Just for the record. A double barreled shotgun is the type that has two barrels that are either side by side or one above the other. It can only hold two rounds of ammunition and has no provisions for more without a special (and optional, and not all that common) bandolier that wraps around the stock (the wooden thingy that you put up against your shoulder). To reload it one must first open the weapon up, remove the spent shell casings, insert two more shells into the weapon and close it back up. This takes some time and in order to be proficient at it requires practice by the user.

A pump action shotgun (a far more common type of shotgun for the reasons that you will see below) has one barrel with a spring loaded tube below it that can hold up to 5 rounds in it (plus one in the chamber if the user so wishes). It also has a sliding handle (the "Pump") that can eject a shell (spent or otherwise) from the chamber when you slide it one way and then load a new shell from the tube when you slide it back into its original position. A person who has never fired such a weapon before can easily reload the weapon on their first try. In addition there is the option of (when the tube is empty) performing a quick (or as it's normally called a combat) load by slapping a round into the chamber through the same port where an expended shell is usually ejected. This however takes some practice by the user to become proficient at.

When you fire BOTH barrels of a double barreled shotgun you are essentially defenseless for some period of time as you need to reload (a process which can take as little as 5 seconds or much longer depending upon the skill level of the user and their proximity to the proper ammunition. For a pump action shotgun if you for some stupid reason fire two rounds as warning shots (unlikely as one would be more than enough) you should still have at least 3 more rounds in the weapon.

What Biden was suggesting was to render oneself defenseless while simultaneously potentially endangering innocent people and more than likely breaking a local law or ordinance while doing so. This is why he and his suggestion is being laughed at.

Thus ends my pointless (for most people) lesson of the day.

About my avatar.
Sam.I.Am is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2013, 03:13 PM   #33
StankApe
Banned

well, that and the sheer power of your average double barrel shotgun is often a bit too much for the avg 5'4" 150 lb woman to fire without falling on her behind
Old 2nd March 2013, 03:22 PM   #34
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

well, that and the sheer power of your average double barrel shotgun is often a bit too much for the avg 5'4" 150 lb woman to fire without falling on her behind
Maybe, maybe not. It depends upon the skill level of the shooter, the rounds in the weapon and if they fired both rounds at the same instant. That's why I didn't want to go there.

About my avatar.
Old 2nd March 2013, 03:25 PM   #35
StankApe
Banned

did you watch the funny video I put up?

It's much easier to fire an AR-15 than any shotgun. recoil is much less and it's pretty much a point and shoot weapon.

ETA: and I did say "often"
Old 2nd March 2013, 03:34 PM   #36
Sam.I.Am
Illuminator

Yes I saw it and the shooters were obviously unprepared (hence my comment regarding skill level) for the recoil. In my navy days I was a Range Safety Officer and was responsible for training people in the safe use and handling of firearms (I probably trained at least 300 people in various weapons over the period that I was doing it). I had guys about the same size and weight shooting for the first time that were also caught off guard by the recoil of a shotgun (although they were at least prepared enough to not drop the damned thing).

About my avatar.
Old 2nd March 2013, 04:51 PM   #37
SezMe
post-pre-born

Well, let's just go along with this silly scenario. You think she walks around with a shotgun slung over her shoulder? Of course not. So when she became alarmed and retrieved her shotgun and loaded it, at the same time she also dropped a few spare rounds in her oh so fashionable Gucci bag before going out on the balcony to bag an 8-pointer and a SS guy wanking hiding in the weeds. Sheeesh. An incumbent Chicago Alderman could figure this out.
Old 3rd March 2013, 05:30 PM   #38
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Quote:
Damn it to hell, now you've ruined it. Here I was looking forward to scaring off Bad Guys like some overhyped Rambo. Don't ruin gung-ho daydreams with Appeals to Reality/Consequences, please.

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; 3rd March 2013 at 05:32 PM.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2013, 05:45 PM   #39
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Does it bother anyone else that the last time we could trust a VP with a shotgun was in the nineties and that person was Al Gore?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2013, 05:53 PM   #40
triforcharity
Banned

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Does StankApe think that a video of idiots making fools of themselves provide evidence for anything?
It is evidence of the simple fact that firing a shotgun, and maintaining control over that weapon, is harder to do than a simple .223 rifle.

This video shows that very effectively.
triforcharity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events