IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags apostasy incidents , Islam incidents , Sudan incidents , Sudan issues

Old 15th May 2014, 09:52 AM   #1
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Sudan woman faces death for apostasy / Appeal court overturns

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27424064

Quote:
A Sudanese court has sentenced a woman to hang for apostasy after she left Islam and married a Christian man.

"We gave you three days to recant but you insist on not returning to Islam. I sentence you to be hanged to death," the judge told the woman, AFP reports.
They have put a 2 year stay on the execution so she can give birth and bring up the baby before they kill her.

The judge also sentenced the woman to 100 lashes after convicting her of adultery - because her marriage to a Christian man was not valid under Islamic law.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 15th May 2014 at 09:54 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2014, 10:24 AM   #2
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

It's even more insanely unjust because she didn't even leave Islam and convert to Christianity. She was born to a Muslim father and Christian mother, and was raised by her mother as a Christian, and hence has always considered herself a Christian.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2014, 11:29 AM   #3
Dubious Dick
Muse

What do you expect from a religion? Logic? Rationality?
Old 15th May 2014, 11:30 AM   #4
Humes fork
Banned

Don't you know that Christians are just as bad, and that it's racist to criticize their culture?
Humes fork is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2014, 11:44 AM   #5
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by Humes fork View Post
Don't you know that Christians are just as bad, and that it's racist to criticize their culture?
No. And neither do you.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2014, 11:53 AM   #6
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Well, if she refuses to be the correct religion, what are they supposed to do with her?

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2014, 12:00 PM   #7
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Deputy Admin

This is complete bollocks. It isn't racist to criticise the failure of some countries' governments to support human rights. It isn't racist, but it is silly, to criticise an entire religion based on the activities of a minority of adherents.

Some Islamic theocracies are firmly stuck in the middle ages, and have laws and practices which should have been left behind 500 years ago. Most Muslims do not support the kind of laws that have been used against this woman.

Sudan's lack of human rights is worthy of criticism in the most robust language. Equating Sudanese Islamic theocracy with all Muslims worldwide is as silly as criticising all Catholics in the 16th century for Queen Mary I's execution of Protestants. Neither are representative of the majority of followers of the respective faiths.

It's an appalling story, and I understand that Amnesty International and some governments with embassies in Sudan are calling for Sudan to respect freedom of religion and not carry out these sentences. I hope they can influence the Sudanese authorities to move towards a more modern system of government.
Old 15th May 2014, 12:03 PM   #8
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by Agatha View Post
This is complete bollocks. It isn't racist to criticise the failure of some countries' governments to support human rights. It isn't racist, but it is silly, to criticise an entire religion based on the activities of a minority of adherents.

Some Islamic theocracies are firmly stuck in the middle ages, and have laws and practices which should have been left behind 500 years ago. Most Muslims do not support the kind of laws that have been used against this woman.

Sudan's lack of human rights is worthy of criticism in the most robust language. Equating Sudanese Islamic theocracy with all Muslims worldwide is as silly as criticising all Catholics in the 16th century for Queen Mary I's execution of Protestants. Neither are representative of the majority of followers of the respective faiths.

It's an appalling story, and I understand that Amnesty International and some governments with embassies in Sudan are calling for Sudan to respect freedom of religion and not carry out these sentences. I hope they can influence the Sudanese authorities to move towards a more modern system of government.
^This. All of this.

Old 15th May 2014, 12:05 PM   #9
mijopaalmc
Philosopher

Perhaps you missed A'isha's comment:

Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
It's even more insanely unjust because she didn't even leave Islam and convert to Christianity. She was born to a Muslim father and Christian mother,and was raised by her mother as a Christian,and hence has always considered herself a Christian.
(emphasis added)
mijopaalmc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2014, 01:04 PM   #10
fuelair
Banned

Way lots of people out in the world need killing. The OP covers some of them: the "judge", witnesses, complainers about the victim, members of the local judicial system, all who support them........
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2014, 01:29 PM   #11
George 152
Philosopher

No. And neither do you.
But that's not going to change his 10th century thinking
George 152 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2014, 02:04 PM   #12
mikado
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Way lots of people out in the world need killing. The OP covers some of them: the "judge", witnesses, complainers about the victim, members of the local judicial system, all who support them........
do we all get to pick our own victims? What if you're on someone else's hit list? I can see the difficulties here!
mikado is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2014, 02:05 PM   #13
Dissolution
Master Poster

Isn't this all rather by the book, though?
There may be an exception in this case, as the woman actually wasn't a Muslim in the first place, but there's certainly reason to believe that apostasy from Islam can result in such a penalty under Sharia.
The same is true of Christianity too, of course.

A Muslim man marrying a Christian (or Jewish) woman would be fine, though.
Seems a strange double standard, but I'm sure that there's some logic behind it, no matter how twisted.
Dissolution is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2014, 02:12 PM   #14
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Evidence Number 3,689,086,287,879 that Islam sucks.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2014, 02:40 PM   #15
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by Dissolution View Post
There may be an exception in this case, as the woman actually wasn't a Muslim in the first place, but there's certainly reason to believe that apostasy from Islam can result in such a penalty under Sharia.
That's why the justification for such laws is less important than the fact that those laws exist and are enforced.

As far as I'm concerned, at least.

Quote:
Seems a strange double standard, but I'm sure that there's some logic behind it, no matter how twisted.
There is, and I'd be happy to explain if you really want to know.

Old 15th May 2014, 03:02 PM   #16
MontagK505
Illuminator

Where has any poster on this thread made that statement?

Political correctness is linguistic Fascism. - P.D. James
MontagK505 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2014, 03:08 PM   #17
MontagK505
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dissolution View Post

As I understand, the children of Muslim men are automatically Muslim under Sharia law.

Political correctness is linguistic Fascism. - P.D. James
MontagK505 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2014, 03:49 PM   #18
mijopaalmc
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tony View Post
^^Evidence Number 5,104,367,862,334 you're an Islamophobe:

You attribute problems with extremists Islamism to fundamental flaws in Islam itself.
mijopaalmc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2014, 09:13 PM   #19
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Renmarkable View Post
do we all get to pick our own victims? What if you're on someone else's hit list? I can see the difficulties here!
There and even here I could be. Me and my little friends are not particularly concerned.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2014, 09:31 PM   #20
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27424064

They have put a 2 year stay on the execution so she can give birth and bring up the baby before they kill her.

The judge also sentenced the woman to 100 lashes after convicting her of adultery - because her marriage to a Christian man was not valid under Islamic law.
It's heartbreaking how many souls are being forced to live in the obscenity of a modern dark age.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2014, 09:33 PM   #21
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dubious Dick View Post
What do you expect from a religion? Logic? Rationality?
Compassion? Decency?
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th May 2014, 09:36 PM   #22
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Well, if she refuses to be the correct religion, what are they supposed to do with her?
I suggest they commit suicide in protest of these unIslamic heretics.
Old 16th May 2014, 12:14 AM   #23
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Call me a cynic and prejudiced (and jadded) but for the last 25 years when I hear news about some countries, I know it will almost certainly involve human right violation. Sudan is one of those. And I also assume nothing will be done about it.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2014, 02:40 AM   #24
Octavo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by mijopaalmc View Post

You attribute problems with extremists Islamism to fundamental flaws in Islam itself.

Ok, so Islam, is fine with apostasy? It's just the Sudanese government that's messed up, right? Islam definitely does not support lashes for adulterers, right? I mean that would be barbaric, it's surely just the Sudanese court that's bonkers?

Ummm. No. The root causes of these problems lie directly in the words of the Koran.
Octavo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2014, 02:56 AM   #25
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

...snip...

It's also a lack of established checks and balances in a system of governance.
Old 16th May 2014, 03:34 AM   #26
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Have you at least signed the Avaaz petition?
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2014, 03:44 AM   #27
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
Ok, so Islam, is fine with apostasy? It's just the Sudanese government that's messed up, right? Islam definitely does not support lashes for adulterers, right? I mean that would be barbaric, it's surely just the Sudanese court that's bonkers?

Ummm. No. The root causes of these problems lie directly in the words of the Koran.
No the root cause is not the word of the koran, the root cause is that *some* muslim (but not all) give weight to those word.

Just like because some idiot christian got a crappy interpretation of some verse in the bible making them getting bitten by snake intentionally, I am not flagging the whole religion as insane. Or the "suffer no witch" one with people really burning "witches" in Africa.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2014, 04:19 AM   #28
Chaos
Penultimate Amazing

There is, and I'd be happy to explain if you really want to know.
Save your breath. WhoŽd want to listen to a crypto-Muslim Islamophile like you spouting faithhead apologetics?

I mean, other than me and a few other obvious non-skeptics...
Chaos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2014, 04:44 AM   #29
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

If islam is being used to justify atrocities then it is a problem for islam
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2014, 06:14 AM   #30
illuminator
New Blood

Because it is a fundamental flaw in Islam. Like many other things.
The Qu'ran and Hadith prescribe severe punishment for it.
You can only get around that fact with some serious mental gymnastics.
And of course as with all religious texts, there are a lot of contradictions too.
So, the best you can say about that matter in Islam is that is ambiguous - and that in itself is a serious flaw!

Any system of morals that does not clearly avoid injust and cruel punishment is FLAWED.
illuminator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2014, 08:00 AM   #31
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by illuminator
Any system of morals that does not clearly avoid injust and cruel punishment is FLAWED.
The issue is, interpretations of those issues varies within Islam. To attribute one sect's interpretation to the whole of Islam is clearly irrational, in that it directly contradicts known facts about reality.

If you wish to criticize specific aspects of the Quran (what is the correct spelling for that book? I've seen many), that's one thing. To criticize what Muslims believe necessitates specifying which group of Muslims you wish to discuss, and acknowledging the limits of your arguments (specifically, specifying which groups you are discussing).

Think of it this way: if I attributed to ALL Christians a Mormon interpretation of one of the Gosples, I'd clearly be wrong. There's no rational reason to believe that a Menonite or an Anglican will have that same interpretation. Thus, I need to limit my criticism of the Mormon interpretation to the Mormon religion, and potentially any who agree with it. The same principle applies here.

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi
If islam is being used to justify atrocities then it is a problem for islam
Sort of. It certainly is bad PR. However, A'isha has demonstrate that there are large groups within Islam pushing to fix those issues, meaning that they're making at least a good-faith attempt to clean house. You can't blame them for not instantly succeeding--atheism still has Atheism+, after all. We all have our lunatic fringes; full elimination is not possible. What's necessary is marginalization of those fringes, which is being attempted within Islam.
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2014, 08:05 AM   #32
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Your blatant intolerance for dissent and your attempts to silence it with baseless ad-homs don't work on a skeptics forum. Try them on somewhere else.

Last edited by Tony; 16th May 2014 at 08:10 AM.
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2014, 08:09 AM   #33
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
Just like because some idiot christian got a crappy interpretation of some verse in the bible making them getting bitten by snake intentionally, I am not flagging the whole religion as insane.
Well, to be fair. The beliefs in talking animals, magic, sin, and mythical beings is enough to flag the religion as insane without bringing up the snake handling.

Old 16th May 2014, 08:13 AM   #34
Mister Agenda
Illuminator

Because if you lined up examples of Muslims sucking and Christians sucking, the Muslim queue would be longer?
Mister Agenda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2014, 08:18 AM   #35
Mister Agenda
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post

So out of the 50 or so majority-Muslim countries, how many would you expect to have the death penalty for apostacy?
Mister Agenda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2014, 08:21 AM   #36
Mister Agenda
Illuminator

Two years is a long time. Time enough to change Sudan's punishment for apostacy, maybe. It's not over until it is over.

But there are times I wish we had commando squads for rescuing victims of religious persecution.
Old 16th May 2014, 08:22 AM   #37
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mister Agenda View Post
Because if you lined up examples of Muslims sucking and Christians sucking, the Muslim queue would be longer?
I have no idea what you're talking about. I never said anything about Muslims sucking.

Old 16th May 2014, 08:23 AM   #38
Dinwar
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mister Agenda View Post
So out of the 50 or so majority-Muslim countries, how many would you expect to have the death penalty for apostacy?
I like how some atheists are more fundamentalist than the most fundamentalist theists are. The atheists take the religion as being ONLY the word of the holy book--no other considerations are allowed. Theists, however, tend to acknowledge that over the past few thousand years most of the major religions have been analyzed and interpreted and have had traditions added to them and so on, all of which are part of that religion. Even the most rabid fundamentalist theist generally allows for tradition, at least, to play a role in things.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant, eh?
Dinwar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th May 2014, 08:35 AM   #39
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dinwar View Post
I like how some atheists are more fundamentalist than the most fundamentalist theists are. The atheists take the religion as being ONLY the word of the holy book--no other considerations are allowed. Theists, however, tend to acknowledge that over the past few thousand years most of the major religions have been analyzed and interpreted and have had traditions added to them and so on, all of which are part of that religion. Even the most rabid fundamentalist theist generally allows for tradition, at least, to play a role in things.
Right. Some atheists have better BS (which "tradition" is) detectors than others.

Old 16th May 2014, 09:14 AM   #40
Mister Agenda
Illuminator

I have no idea what you're talking about. I never said anything about Muslims sucking.
I have no idea what you're talking about. You don't think ANY Muslims suck?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy