IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags apostasy incidents , Islam incidents , Sudan incidents , Sudan issues

Old 26th June 2014, 10:05 AM   #161
Mister Agenda
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Unsurprisingly, everyone dodged that one.
Or thought it was too stupid to merit response. Naziism bad. Wahabbism (or fundamentalist strain of Islam that attracts extremists of your choice) bad. Germans not bad. Muslims (fill in the blank if you're smart enough).
Mister Agenda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2014, 01:53 AM   #162
raff55
Thinker

Originally Posted by Mister Agenda View Post
Or thought it was too stupid to merit response. Naziism bad. Wahabbism (or fundamentalist strain of Islam that attracts extremists of your choice) bad. Germans not bad. Muslims (fill in the blank if you're smart enough).
A faulty comparison. Naziism was a German brand of Fascism. There were many other. Italian, Spanish, French even British etc. You get the idea.

The underpinning of the fascist belief is its ideology. Personally I would not use Naziism as a comparative to Islamism. It was the most destructive and corrupt perversion of the human spirit in the history of mankind.

What I do want is to question and to ask by what authority did the Sudanese draw on to imprison this woman ?
What would have happened to the woman if it hadn't been reported in the West?
Will the law now change to prevent it happening again ?

Last edited by raff55; 28th June 2014 at 01:55 AM. Reason: spelling
raff55 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2014, 11:36 AM   #163
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I get your point, but the comparison is flawed. It would be: Islam is to Wahhabi-ism as Fascism is to Nazism (not ...as German is to Nazism).
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2014, 06:11 PM   #164
Frozenwolf150
Formerly SilentKnight

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
I get your point, but the comparison is flawed. It would be: Islam is to Wahhabi-ism as Fascism is to Nazism (not ...as German is to Nazism).
Islam as a whole is no more analogous to fascism than any other world religion. Unless you're arguing that it's possible for people to be peaceful, moral fascists as long as they avoid the more extreme types of fascism, such as Nazism.
Till the blue skies drive the dark clouds far away
Frozenwolf150 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2014, 08:48 PM   #165
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Frozenwolf150 View Post
Islam as a whole is no more analogous to fascism than any other world religion. Unless you're arguing that it's possible for people to be peaceful, moral fascists as long as they avoid the more extreme types of fascism, such as Nazism.
You're misreading my comment. I'm not arguing fascism is analogous to Islam...I'm arguing for consistent group-to-subgroup comparisons. Nazi, in the context of the post I was replying to, is not a subgroup of German; it's a subgroup of fascist... as Wahhabi is a subgroup of Islam.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2014, 04:17 AM   #166
raff55
Thinker

'Islam as a whole is no more analogous to fascism than any other world religion.'

Yes I agree, in potential it isn't.

' Unless you're arguing that it's possible for people to be peaceful, moral fascists as long as they avoid the more extreme types of fascism, such as Nazism. '

That is a very interesting point and one that needs exploring.
Is there any level of silent acquiescence ?
raff55 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2014, 04:35 AM   #167
KumarS
Banned

Islam as a whole is no more analogous to fascism than any other world religion.
Islam as a whole is no more analogous to fascism than any other world religion and ideology and patriotism..
KumarS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2014, 04:10 PM   #168
angrysoba
Philosophile

Actually, I think it probably is quite possible for someone to be a peaceful, moderate fascist who is not personally violent but who considers himself to be of superior racial stock or from a country that is better than all other countries.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2014, 05:14 PM   #169
KumarS
Banned

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
ETA:
oh, yeah. Christians do it too. Or Would. If they could. Or if they were so inclined. But they did do it 500 years ago, so there!
Not really 500 years ago.. more like up to 70~80 years ago
KumarS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2014, 07:27 PM   #170
Frozenwolf150
Formerly SilentKnight

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
You're misreading my comment. I'm not arguing fascism is analogous to Islam...I'm arguing for consistent group-to-subgroup comparisons. Nazi, in the context of the post I was replying to, is not a subgroup of German; it's a subgroup of fascist... as Wahhabi is a subgroup of Islam.
Then you should have said this in the first place. Regardless, thank you for clearing that up.
Frozenwolf150 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2014, 01:50 AM   #171
raff55
Thinker

Then you should have said this in the first place. Regardless, thank you for clearing that up.
Then do you agree that it is a faulty comparison ?
Old 30th June 2014, 06:11 AM   #172
Mister Agenda
Illuminator

I suppose it's a very faulty comparison if the point was not that it is invalid to judge a larger group based on a sub-group within it.
Mister Agenda is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2014, 06:20 AM   #173
raff55
Thinker

I suppose it's a very faulty comparison if the point was not that it is invalid to judge a larger group based on a sub-group within it.
Yes I agree with you.

For instance basing modern day Germany's neo-Nazis as indicative of the today's German community would be wrong. But it would be remiss not to question its source, history and nature.
Old 30th June 2014, 07:58 AM   #174
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KumarS View Post
Not really 500 years ago.. more like up to 70~80 years ago
Yeah. I remember trading about all those people who were born Christian sentenced to the chair in the 1930's and 40's for becoming atheist, Jewish and Buddist...
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2014, 07:18 AM   #175
Jono
Master Poster

Islam as a whole is no more analogous to fascism than any other world religion.
I.e, in the notable absence of successful secularisation and humanitarianism, the abbrahemic world-religions are all inherently fascistic and totalitarian. At the moment, they're just not equally bad. Why not? Well, because of secularisation and progression of humanitarian values (Islam is, if possible, currently the worst one of the three as it is).

Last edited by Jono; 10th July 2014 at 07:20 AM.
Jono is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2014, 07:42 AM   #176
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Sorry but the important issue is that she is still being detained
http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/08/us/new...udanese-woman/
Old 10th July 2014, 09:24 AM   #177
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by Desert Fox View Post
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:ma d:
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2014, 09:49 AM   #178
KumarS
Banned

Originally Posted by rwguinn View Post
Yeah. I remember trading about all those people who were born Christian sentenced to the chair in the 1930's and 40's for becoming atheist, Jewish and Buddist...
Nay!
Burned by the KKK as "*******"

So what? She is still alive, right?

Last edited by KumarS; 10th July 2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10th July 2014, 10:59 AM   #179
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:ma d:
Kind on my issue. . .Let her go and thins largely goes away as a problem for Sudan
Old 10th July 2014, 11:27 AM   #180
Jono
Master Poster

Did you just say 'So what?'. You're jesting, right?
Old 10th July 2014, 12:22 PM   #181
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Kind on my issue. . .Let her go and thins largely goes away as a problem for Sudan
Indeed. And: don't do it again. But the current treatment clearly suggests they'll try again next time with another victim.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2014, 09:13 PM   #182
fuelair
Banned

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Indeed. And: don't do it again. But the current treatment clearly suggests they'll try again next time with another victim.
Yep, more bullying butt boys needing a good machine gun enema............
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th July 2014, 10:30 PM   #183
MontagK505
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jono View Post
I.e, in the notable absence of successful secularisation and humanitarianism, the abbrahemic world-religions are all inherently fascistic and totalitarian. At the moment, they're just not equally bad. Why not? Well, because of secularisation and progression of humanitarian values (Islam is, if possible, currently the worst one of the three as it is).
If you examine present day countries whose politics are dominated by Islamic religious ideology this would appear to be true. Turkey appears to be the most secular of Islamic states and it's nothing to brag about.

Political correctness is linguistic Fascism. - P.D. James
MontagK505 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2014, 10:20 AM   #184
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Nay!
Burned by the KKK as "*******"

And the laws of the land required this?
If we have to explain the difference between Government sanctioned killings and rogue racists taking the law into their own hands to you, You're in the wrong place.
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2014, 05:48 PM   #185
Darth Rotor
Salted Sith Cynic

Folks, if one is going to cite Al Quran, and then discuss something that is being done in a Muslim society in the current tense, one really ought to investigate which Ha'dith (or set/combination thereof) is most commonly approved or advocated in that society. There's a bit more to Islam in practice than Al Quran, though it is surely a pillar/foundation of the faith and its practice.

I've got a few more years of reading and study on that matter before I'll even think of commenting further. It's complicated.
"Jesus wept, but did He laugh?"--F.H. Buckley____"There is one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth ... His mirth." --Chesterton__"If the barbarian in us is excised, so is our humanity."--D'rok__ "I only use my gun whenever kindness fails."-- Robert Earl Keen__"Sturgeon spares none.". -- The Marquis

Last edited by Darth Rotor; 16th July 2014 at 05:50 PM.
Darth Rotor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2014, 02:50 PM   #186
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Meanwhile ISIS in Iraq makes the government of Sudan look like freaking moderates....

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/18/world/...ned/index.html
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2014, 06:50 AM   #187
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Mariam Ishaq has successfully left Sudan, with the assistance of the Italian government.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2014, 08:08 AM   #188
Mister Agenda
Illuminator

Thanks, A'isha, I'm glad she is safe and hope she gets to join her husband in America soon. I wonder what it will be like for her to be one of the world's most famous refugees?
Old 24th July 2014, 09:44 AM   #189
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Read some sources which seem to indicate that she met the pope.
Something makes me thing the Catholic Church had something to do with this as well.
Old 27th July 2014, 01:19 PM   #190
Jono
Master Poster

Read some sources which seem to indicate that she met the pope.
Something makes me thing the Catholic Church had something to do with this as well.
Well, as has been stated already, the Italian government helped out.
Old 28th July 2014, 02:03 PM   #191
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Actually, I think it probably is quite possible for someone to be a peaceful, moderate fascist who is not personally violent but who considers himself to be of superior racial stock or from a country that is better than all other countries.
Indeed. Would the existence of such an individual belie any and every assertion about Naziism being a violent/bad/evil ideology?

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain

Last edited by Tony; 28th July 2014 at 02:05 PM.
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2014, 07:02 PM   #192
Frozenwolf150
Formerly SilentKnight

Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Indeed. Would the existence of such an individual belie any and every assertion about Naziism being a violent/bad/evil ideology?
No, because it's always stupid to generalize about an entire group based on how a tiny minority of them behaves. But I'm sure you already knew that.
Old 28th July 2014, 07:35 PM   #193
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Interesting you bring this up
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rabe
Old 29th July 2014, 08:20 AM   #194
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

No.
Then why is it different with religion (which has inspired way more violence than fascism)?

Quote:
because it's always stupid to generalize about an entire group...
Yes it is. I have no idea why you think you need to say this though.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2014, 11:01 AM   #195
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

No, because it's always stupid to generalize about an entire group based on how a tiny minority of them behaves. But I'm sure you already knew that.
You mean like gun owners?
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2014, 12:19 PM   #196
Mister Agenda
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
You mean like gun owners?
Yes, it is stupid to generalize about all gun owners based on what a few of them do, unless the generalization is something like 'they all own guns' or 'they're all mammals'.
Old 29th July 2014, 07:05 PM   #197
Frozenwolf150
Formerly SilentKnight

Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Then why is it different with religion (which has inspired way more violence than fascism)?
Religion is often the post-hoc justification for the actual motivations for violence, which include politics, territoriality, tribalism, and fighting over limited resources. Remove religion from the equation and people would still find stupid reasons to kill each other over mud. So no, I don't simply blame religion for all the world's problems. Believe it or not, there are some atheists who don't walk around with raging hate-boners for religion.
Old 29th July 2014, 08:35 PM   #198
ddt
Mafia Penguin

And conversely:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiune_Sugihara
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2014, 03:52 AM   #199
Desert Fox
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
They are not precisely analogous. Rabe specifically was a member of the Nazi party. There were plenty within Germany / Germans who were against the treatment of Jews. My favorite actually is Albert Goering
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_G%C3%B6ring
Old 30th July 2014, 06:58 AM   #200
ddt
Mafia Penguin

They are not precisely analogous. Rabe specifically was a member of the Nazi party.
I fully concede that, but AFAIK, there was no Japanese equivalent to the Nazi party as a "mark" if someone held the racist views espoused by the military regime. I mentioned Sugihara primarily to show how the Axis powers didn't agree on each others' views of who exactly the "Untermenschen" were, and both had elements in their government who actively sabotaged the other power's efforts to exterminate them.

There were plenty within Germany / Germans who were against the treatment of Jews. My favorite actually is Albert Goering
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_G%C3%B6ring
Thank you, I didn't know about him. That's chutzpah, "arrest me if you dare, I'm the brother of the Reichsmarschall".

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy