IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags joe biden , media bias charges , political gaffes

Old 23rd February 2015, 09:36 AM   #1
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Who's embarrassed by Joe Biden?

I am, even though I have never supported him to be anything other than a side kick for a late night talk show host. Would the media handle things differently if he were a Republican? I think so.

Quote:
It was just another Tuesday for the vice president of the United States, and another week in which the mainstream media turned their genteel eyes away from the highly questionable conduct of the figure of low comedy whom tragedy might make our president.

On Tuesday morning, Joe Biden was photographed placing his hands in a cringe-inducingly inappropriate manner on the shoulders of a much younger woman ó the wife of the about-to-be-sworn-in secretary of defense ó and keeping them there . . . and keeping them there . . . and keeping them there . . . for 28 full seconds.
Yuk.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 09:43 AM   #2
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

It's going to be so much fun watching him run for President again.

http://www.dorkly.com/post/72803/is-...l-constituents
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 09:50 AM   #3
Jrrarglblarg

Darth Cheney never had this problem because cameras were not allowed in the Undisclosed Location Lair.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:06 AM   #4
maxpower1227
Master Poster

Yeah, Biden is not exactly the most embarrassing VP we've had. He may be deserving of some ridicule now and then, but he isn't a monster like his predecessor.
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:07 AM   #5
NotJesus
Unsaviory

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
I am, even though I have never supported him to be anything other than a side kick for a late night talk show host. Would the media handle things differently if he were a Republican? I think so.

Yuk.
There, there. [Places arm around sunmaster14's shoulders in a totally non-creepy way.]
NotJesus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:12 AM   #6
Bogative
Graduate Poster

I am. Not only is he a drooling idiot, the creep factor on that guy is through the roof. I can't think of a single politician that I find as repulsive as he is.

Quote:
There is no circumstance under which a man has a right to touch a woman without her consent other than self-defense.
Quote:
No man has a right to touch a woman without her consent, and that's what we've got to get across.
Maybe Joe should take his own advice.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:12 AM   #7
Cleon
King of the Pod People

I love it when the media complains about the media.
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:14 AM   #8
sackett
Philosopher

What?!? Joe put his hands on a good-looking woman? Ew! Disgusto!

I would never do such a thing. Would you? Well of course not.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:25 AM   #9
DavidJames
Penultimate Amazing

It's great to see what Conservatives get offended by. Government forcing Christianity? Denying evolution? Denying AGW? Accusing the president of not loving his country?

Nah, that's nothing. What's really important is Biden's hands.
For 15 years I never put anyone on ignore. I felt it important to see everyone's view point. Finally I realized the value of some views can be measured in negative terms and were personally destructive.
DavidJames is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:31 AM   #10
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
Accusing the president of not loving his country?
You seem upset. Do you need a fainting couch? I wouldn't want you to get hurt when you swoon.

Quote:
These are the rules that liberals (including Biden himself) set up. If they have a hard time playing by them, oh well.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:52 AM   #11
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

It's great to see what Conservatives get offended by. Government forcing Christianity? Denying evolution? Denying AGW? Accusing the president of not loving his country?

I have no idea what the first thing is about, nor why I should be offended by the other things, but I will say this. Biden seems to have a lot more love for the Defense Secretary's wife than Obama does for the country. I'm not asking Obama to give the country a neck and shoulder massage or anything, while sticking his nose deep in our hair, but an acknowledgement that we look nice once in a while wouldn't hurt.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:55 AM   #12
seayakin
Graduate Poster

As someone who generally votes on the liberal side, I find Joe Biden's actions creepy and he should know better given his history. I will not try to defend his actions.
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:58 AM   #13
maxpower1227
Master Poster

I have no idea what the first thing is about, nor why I should be offended by the other things, but I will say this. Biden seems to have a lot more love for the Defense Secretary's wife than Obama does for the country. I'm not asking Obama to give the country a neck and shoulder massage or anything, while sticking his nose deep in our hair, but an acknowledgement that we look nice once in a while wouldn't hurt.
Just how much does Obama love this country anyway? I know it's not as much as you love it, but is it more or less than 3/5 as much as you love it?
Old 23rd February 2015, 10:58 AM   #14
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

You have never heard or read Obama acknowledging his love of country? Have you tried looking?
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 11:03 AM   #15
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Why can't he shoot someone in the face like a real VP?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 11:49 AM   #16
The_Animus
Illuminator

This was inappropriate. It also has next to nothing to do with democrats or politics beyond that whole appearance of character for an office holder thing.
The_Animus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 11:51 AM   #17
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

It was creepy when Bush did it, its creepy when Biden does it.

eta: All things considered, I'm not a tenth as embarrassed of Biden as I am/was of Bush.

Last edited by Upchurch; 23rd February 2015 at 11:56 AM.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 12:14 PM   #18
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Why can't he shoot someone a lawyer in the face like a real VP?
FTFY.
Old 23rd February 2015, 12:19 PM   #19
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
It was creepy when Bush did it, its creepy when Biden does it.

eta: All things considered, I'm not a tenth as embarrassed of Biden as I am/was of Bush.
Just don't apogize for him to foreigners or your country music career will be over.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 12:22 PM   #20
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
What?!? Joe put his hands on a good-looking woman? Ew! Disgusto!

I would never do such a thing. Would you? Well of course not.
Try doing that to a coworker's wife some day and let us know if you still have your job the next day.
Old 23rd February 2015, 12:37 PM   #21
Jrrarglblarg

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
I am. Not only is he a drooling idiot, the creep factor on that guy is through the roof. I can't think of a single politician that I find as repulsive as he is.
Seriously? You find this more repulsive than the (R) with the "wide stance" or the (D) who tweeted pix of his rooster to young not-his-wife, or the (R) who sent sexually explicit emails to young men?

Peruse at your leisure and increase your data set:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_..._United_States
Old 23rd February 2015, 12:51 PM   #22
IXP
Graduate Poster

Saturday night I put on arm on the back and held the other hand of various women that I did not know at all, holding them close for several minutes, and telling them, with physical contact what to do.

Ballroom dancing is great! Except for the one who kept stepping on my Capezios.

IXP

Last edited by IXP; 23rd February 2015 at 01:10 PM.
IXP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 01:14 PM   #23
Drewbot
Philosopher

This incident is way creepier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4OYPiV1GsY
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 01:15 PM   #24
maxpower1227
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
This incident is way creepier:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4OYPiV1GsY
Good grief. Old men are the worst. I hope I never become one.
Old 23rd February 2015, 01:18 PM   #25
ehcks
Illuminator

Socially awkward and outright silly.

But able to soundly beat every Republican he's debated against.

So for all his embarrassing actions, I still want more than anything for Hillary Clinton to pick him as her VP.
Old 23rd February 2015, 01:23 PM   #26
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Yuk.
You poor man!

I am sure that fromer VPs like Dick Cheney, Dan Qualye, George. H. W. Bush or the late Spiro Agnew will be able to give you so much comfort.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 01:24 PM   #27
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

It has always amused me that the same people who got the vapors at the notion of Sarah Palin being a heartbeat away from the presidency seem to think Joe Biden is well-qualified.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 01:26 PM   #28
ehcks
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
It has always amused me that the same people who got the vapors at the notion of Sarah Palin being a heartbeat away from the presidency seem to think Joe Biden is well-qualified.
You know Palin and Biden had a debate, right?

And how that went?
Old 23rd February 2015, 01:33 PM   #29
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by ehcks View Post
You know Palin and Biden had a debate, right?

And how that went?
My memory might be a little fuzy, but I'm pretty sure Biden rubbed her shoulders while Palin read all the newspapers.
Old 23rd February 2015, 01:42 PM   #30
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Well, ...

Palin should be pleased to hear that there is one person in the world who thinks that she would be a better president than Biden.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 01:47 PM   #31
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I've always wondered what the Vice President actually does.

I remember watching "Air Force One" and Glenn Close just cried a lot

2007 https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna16911044
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 02:09 PM   #32
BazBear
Possible Suspect

Originally Posted by maxpower1227 View Post
Yeah, Biden is not exactly the most embarrassing VP we've had. He may be deserving of some ridicule now and then, but he isn't a monster like his predecessor.
I agree; and I'll bet he can even spell potatoe, errr, potato, unlike a certain former VPOTUS.

For all Biden's faults and gaffs, I am glad he's VP, instead of the former lady governor of Alaska (even if she is cuter )
BazBear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 03:17 PM   #33
LorenzoValla
Muse

Cheney was condemned by the press so he's known as a villain. Biden is treated like someone's loopy uncle by the press, so no one cares.
LorenzoValla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 03:21 PM   #34
DavidJames
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LorenzoValla View Post
Cheney was condemned by the press so he's known as a villain. Biden is treated like someone's loopy uncle by the press, so no one cares.
Yup, perfect example of equivalence. One was vilified for WMD's, they'll welcome us like hero's, basically stuff that resulted in deaths. Biden? Yeah, same thing
For 15 years I never put anyone on ignore. I felt it important to see everyone's view point. Finally I realized the value of some views can be measured in negative terms and were personally destructive.
DavidJames is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 03:33 PM   #35
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Yup, perfect example of equivalence. One was vilified for WMD's, they'll welcome us like hero's, basically stuff that resulted in deaths. Biden? Yeah, same thing
Don't forget championing torture, ten and now, because I know I haven't.

But yes, totally the same thing as being handsy to the point of creepy. Also, the only reason Cheney is vilified is because of his bad press, not because of cartoon villainous actions.

Last edited by Upchurch; 23rd February 2015 at 03:35 PM.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 03:35 PM   #36
ehcks
Illuminator

Yeah, what has Biden actually done wrong besides not keep his hands to himself?

I mean, he should work on that, but what wars of choice did he get us involved in so his mercenary corporation could get work and send him money for it?
Old 23rd February 2015, 03:36 PM   #37
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LorenzoValla View Post
Cheney is actually a villain - he's a war criminal and probably a psychopath.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 03:37 PM   #38
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by ehcks View Post
Yeah, what has Biden actually done wrong besides not keep his hands to himself?

I mean, he should work on that, but what wars of choice did he get us involved in so his mercenary corporation could get work and send him money for it?
Afghanistan and Iraq II.

eta: Kosovo and Libya
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 03:40 PM   #39
Manopolus
Metaphorical Anomaly

The thing is, the media used to filter this crap out.

Surprise!

Our elected officials are indeed human and may have some of those disgustingly human motivations at times. Did anyone think otherwise?
Manopolus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 03:40 PM   #40
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by 16.5 View Post
Afghanistan and Iraq II.

eta: Kosovo and Libya
Joe Biden got into those wars for his mercenary corporation? What mercenary corporation does Joe Biden?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics