IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags joe biden , media bias charges , political gaffes

Old 23rd February 2015, 03:56 PM   #41
DavidJames
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 16.5 View Post
Afghanistan and Iraq II.
You may not be old enough to remember, but it was Bush/Chaney who invaded those places.
For 15 years I never put anyone on ignore. I felt it important to see everyone's view point. Finally I realized the value of some views can be measured in negative terms and were personally destructive.
DavidJames is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 03:57 PM   #42
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
You may not be old enough to remember, but it was Bush/Chaney who invaded those places.
Well, regardless of one's age, Senate voting records are available on the internet.

Take a gander.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 04:07 PM   #43
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Well, regardless of one's age, Senate voting records are available on the internet.

Take a gander.
So his failing is that he was duped, like most of the senate, by GW Bush's and Cheney's false intelligence and lies.

I don't know why you Conservative think you can trick people into thinking that Liberals gave knowledgeable consent for those wars.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 04:15 PM   #44
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
So his failing is that he was duped, like most of the senate, by GW Bush's and Cheney's false intelligence and lies.

personal attack snipped
Uh huh,

"Earlier today I ordered America's armed forces to strike military and security targets in Iraq. They are joined by British forces," Clinton said.

"Their mission is to attack Iraq's nuclear, chemical and biological weapons programs and its military capacity to threaten its neighbors," said Clinton.

/first i have heard of the claim that Uncle Joe and the rest of Senate was duped on Afghanistan. I urge you to post a follow up in the 911 forum.

"you Conservatives"
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 04:20 PM   #45
Jrrarglblarg

Oh noes! The dreaded Tu Quoque is attacking!
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 04:24 PM   #46
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by ApolloGnomon View Post
Amen brother! Bringing up Cheney in a thread about Biden.

Amazeballs.....
Old 23rd February 2015, 04:25 PM   #47
Varanid
Master Poster

The Republicans are just upset they didn't get their creepy VP candidate elected.
Old 23rd February 2015, 04:25 PM   #48
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Varanid View Post
The Republicans are just upset they didn't get their creepy VP candidate elected.
Old 23rd February 2015, 04:57 PM   #49
Jrrarglblarg

Ooooh, burn! Someone hand me the ointment.
Jrrarglblarg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 04:58 PM   #50
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, I think Biden is embarrassing. Maybe not as embarrassing as shooting someone in the face, but still embarrassing.
Old 23rd February 2015, 05:03 PM   #51
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Yeah, I think Biden is embarrassing. Maybe not as embarrassing as shooting someone in the face, but still embarrassing.
Hunting accidents happen. They are a risk of the pastime, and as long as they're accepted by consenting adults making informed decisions, and no foul play is suspected, I don't see much of a problem.

So unless you're seriously trying to convince us that Biden's caresses are "accidents", what's the relevance? And okay, even as accidents they're still creepier than hunting accidents.

Actually, now that I think about it, "hunting accident" does sound like a good (i.e., sufficiently creepy) euphemism for Biden's caresses.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 05:30 PM   #52
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Hunting accidents happen. They are a risk of the pastime, and as long as they're accepted by consenting adults making informed decisions, and no foul play is suspected, I don't see much of a problem.

So unless you're seriously trying to convince us that Biden's caresses are "accidents", what's the relevance? And okay, even as accidents they're still creepier than hunting accidents.

Actually, now that I think about it, "hunting accident" does sound like a good (i.e., sufficiently creepy) euphemism for Biden's caresses.
I'm not sure, maybe you missed all of the posts above in regards to the creepy and stupid stuff Chaney has done, or is it now a requirement that if someone makes a post they have to include everything up to and including that post?

I'm not sure, the goalposts have moved on this forum lately. As the "gotcha" moment becomes more and more addicting people seem to abandon their ability to view posts as a flow. I've seen this in several threads, it's kind of obnoxious and childish if you ask me, but hey, I'm no doctor.

ETA: Also, this couldn't be an accident? Who knows what he was saying to her, he could have been offering his congratulations at her husbands newly found position. This story makes 28 seconds sound like a lifetime. There are approximately 720 periods of that time frame in a given day. The article doesn't say he was rubbing her, or smelling her hair, she doesn't seem to have any complaints about it. I mean, yeah, it's a tish bit creepy, but you're claiming that it is worse than shooting another person in the face? Get real.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 23rd February 2015 at 05:57 PM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 05:53 PM   #53
The Big Dog

Ooooh, burn! Someone hand me the ointment.
are we on the same page here???

I was pointing out another glaring example of a tu quoque fallacy....
Old 23rd February 2015, 06:00 PM   #54
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

The veep is a creep!

Old 23rd February 2015, 06:04 PM   #55
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I'm not sure, the goalposts have moved on this forum lately. As the "gotcha" moment becomes more and more addicting people seem to abandon their ability to view posts as a flow. I've seen this in several threads, it's kind of obnoxious and childish if you ask me, but hey, I'm no doctor.
Bit odd that you are referring to moving the goalposts in a post talking about Cheney in a thread that we thought was about Biden....
Old 23rd February 2015, 06:18 PM   #56
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

/first i have heard of the claim that Uncle Joe and the rest of Senate was duped on Afghanistan. I urge you to post a follow up in the 911 forum.
Today was the first I learned that Biden got us into Afghanistan, Iraq, Kosovo, and Lybia for his mercenary corporation. Where are you going to post the follow up on that?
Old 23rd February 2015, 06:21 PM   #57
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Bit odd that you are referring to moving the goalposts in a post talking about Cheney in a thread that we thought was about Biden....
You should re-read the OP. sunmaster14 opened the door to comparisons with Republicans. You can't blame people for doing just that.

Well, you can, but it would look pretty silly to do so.
Old 23rd February 2015, 06:36 PM   #58
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Today was the first I learned that Biden got us into Afghanistan, Iraq, Kosovo, and Lybia for his mercenary corporation. Where are you going to post the follow up on that?
Oh sorry, I disregarded the conspiracy aspects of that post, I am used to you know dealing with substantive facts and building a consensus, not truther-esque accusations.

Here is what we know: Biden supported the attacks on Kosovo, Afghanistan, Iraq II, and Libya. Can we at least agree with that?

You should re-read the OP. sunmaster14 opened the door to comparisons with Republicans. You can't blame people for doing just that.

Well, you can, but it would look pretty silly to do so.
Hey, I just thought it was odd that you were referring to moving the goalposts when you were, you know, moving the goal posts.
Old 23rd February 2015, 07:06 PM   #59
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Hey, I just thought it was odd that you were referring to moving the goalposts when you were, you know, moving the goal posts.
Where did I refer to moving the goalposts?
Old 23rd February 2015, 07:11 PM   #60
The Big Dog

Where did I refer to moving the goalposts?
Cripes, my bad. You replied to my post responding to someone else about moving the goalposts and I conflated the two of you.
Old 23rd February 2015, 07:16 PM   #61
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Cripes, my bad. You replied to my post responding to someone else about moving the goalposts and I conflated the two of you.
Perhaps you should spend more time reading the thread instead of just reacting? It might trim down on the... how did you put it In FM? Politics cess pool trolling?
Old 23rd February 2015, 07:26 PM   #62
Spindrift
Time Person of the Year, 2006

Originally Posted by LorenzoValla View Post
Cheney was condemned by the press so he's known as a villain. Biden is treated like someone's loopy uncle by the press, so no one cares.
Cheney was a villain so he was condemned by the press. Biden is just someone's loopy uncle, so no one cares.
Spindrift is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 07:35 PM   #63
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

John Travolta was playing the creep at the Oscars. I saw the clip and thought, "Now that guy would make a great Vice President."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ed-carpet.html
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 07:53 PM   #64
The Big Dog

Perhaps you should spend more time reading the thread instead of just reacting? It might trim down on the... how did you put it In FM? Politics cess pool trolling?
Understood, upchurch.

next time I won't admit that I made a harmless error conflating two people making virtually identical posts in a desperate effort to change the subject from old creepy joe.

That way it will cut down on your trolling, huh?

Last edited by The Big Dog; 23rd February 2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 23rd February 2015, 08:00 PM   #65
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

This thread shows just how desperate Conservatives are to find excuses to be outraged.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 08:04 PM   #66
The Big Dog

This thread shows just how desperate Conservatives are to find excuses to be outraged.
We get it, conservatives bad.

creepy Joe? Not bad?
Old 23rd February 2015, 08:07 PM   #67
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

We get it, conservatives bad.

creepy Joe? Not bad?
Pretty much. He's only "creepy" because you want him to be.
Old 23rd February 2015, 08:11 PM   #68
The Big Dog

Pretty much. He's only "creepy" because you want him to be.
You can see those pictures posted above, right?

Of course you can, we all can.

Reflexive white knighting of Biden because "conservatives"

Lolz!
Old 23rd February 2015, 08:13 PM   #69
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
Cheney was a villain so he was condemned by the press. Biden is just someone's loopy uncle, so no one cares.
Do we really want somebody's loopy uncle to be a heartbeat away from the Presidency? I'll admit that Biden does know a lot about other cultures though. He knows about Indians from going to 7-11, and he knows about Somalis from taking cabs to the train station in Wilmington. And he seems to really be in touch with women's issues. If you know what I mean. Nudge nudge, wink wink.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 08:17 PM   #70
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Understood, upchurch.

next time I won't admit that I made a harmless error conflating two people making virtually identical posts in a desperate effort to change the subject from old creepy joe.

That way it will cut down your trolling, huh?

By my count, you made three errors in this thread due to poor reading comprehension and it's not even two pages long. Your knee-jerk attempts to "Gotcha!" the other guy has set you up as the very thing you've complained to the mods about this forum.

My way to cut down the trolling is to (1) call you on it and (2) get you to slow down and use critical thinking when posting. Despite the common belief, it is possible in Politics.
Old 23rd February 2015, 08:20 PM   #71
Manopolus
Metaphorical Anomaly

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
Hrmm... after seeing that post, it seems to me that it's a lot of tactile defensive belligerents failing to understand touchy-feely types. The one with the cop in particular sort of shows that it probably isn't some sort of sexual fetish for Biden. It sort of has to do with how you were raised... some people are less hostile towards touching than others, quite frankly. Those same people are also more likely to touch you unexpectedly.

Last edited by Manopolus; 23rd February 2015 at 08:23 PM.
Manopolus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 08:22 PM   #72
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Creepiness is in the eye of the beholder; if Joe Biden tries to touch your eye, run for the hills!

Although I'd have to say yeah, it's creepy to be touching people so much. Maybe it's natural creepiness, or maybe it's because he's a politician and he's trying to seem warm and friendly. Touch and personal space are culturally-driven, and how much you do it and how much you tolerate depends on where you were raised. I'm thinking Biden touches more frequently than the mainstream, or else nobody would really have noticed it much less considered it creepy. If he were from a more touchy culture it wouldn't be creepy for him to do it (but it would be creepy for the recipients and audience, if they were from a less touchy culture). I come from a less-touchy background and therefore I'd find it creepy as hell if Joe Biden got all handsy on me.
Old 23rd February 2015, 08:31 PM   #73
plague311
Great minds think...

So I moved the goalposts by specifically addressing Biden's behavior in my ETA. I also made comments about Cheney while responding to a specific post about Cheney, from a person that was defending him shooting another man in the face, while complaining about Biden's supposed "groping."

So either you don't know what "moving the goalposts means", you confused me with theprestige (as it was his post about Cheney that I was replying to), or you were seeking that "gotcha" moment which has been referenced.

Despite you responding to my post, which wasn't aimed at you, I am still able to keep you and theprestige straight. So if you'd like to address any of my comments I'll be sure to maintain my knowledge of who you two are. I am the one that wasn't desperately trying to change the subject, but replying to someone whom already had. I'll be awaiting your expected backpedaling.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 23rd February 2015 at 09:11 PM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 08:38 PM   #74
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

A little blast from the past:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=60201
Old 23rd February 2015, 08:39 PM   #75
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
So I moved the goalposts by specifically addressing Biden's behavior in my ETA. I also made comments about Chaney while responding to a specific post about Chaney, from a person that was defending him shooting another man in the face, while complaining about Biden's supposed "groping."

So either you don't know what "moving the goalposts means", you confused me with theprestige (as it was his post about Chaney that I was replying to), or you were seeking that "gotcha" moment which has been referenced.

Despite you responding to my post, which wasn't aimed at you, I am still able to keep you and theprestige straight. So if you'd like to address any of my comments I'll be sure to maintain my knowledge of who you two are. I am the one that wasn't desperately trying to change the subject, but replying to someone whom already had. I'll be awaiting your expected backpedaling.
Hee hee! I'd suspect that moving the goal posts means changing the subject to "Chaney" but what do I know, huh?

Here let me address your comments about "Chaney". Tu quo que fallacy.

/chuckling at you and your pals complaining about a gotcha moment when I freely admitted that I had conflated two people making the identical fallacious comments and you bring it up like you are scoring huge points, or something.
Old 23rd February 2015, 08:42 PM   #76
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

"Chaney" was an actor who sometimes portrayed monsters.
"Cheney" is an actual monster.

I don't care how rattled you are by Biden's unwelcome touching, it's no excuse for spelling errors!
Old 23rd February 2015, 08:45 PM   #77
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
The sexual tension between those two!

Damn, that would make a great TV series! They could solve mysteries together! But executive meddling would make them get together in the third season, jumping the shark and killing the show. They'd bring on a wacky sidekick but it'd be too late, those kinds of shows are only interesting in the will they/won't they phase. Once they do, it's boring.
Old 23rd February 2015, 08:55 PM   #78
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

What else was there? Anyone remember "Yo, Blair"?

(Which, I just realized by reading the Wikipedia article may in fact have been apocryphal; but let's not let that get in the way of a good Bush anecdote!)
Old 23rd February 2015, 08:56 PM   #79
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Joe Biden's creepiness protects Obama from any fringe group attacks. Even the craziest of the fringe understand the order of succession.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2015, 09:10 PM   #80
plague311
Great minds think...

Hee hee! I'd suspect that moving the goal posts means changing the subject to "Chaney" but what do I know, huh?
I didn't change the subject to Cheney. I was replying to someone who had spoken about Cheney, just read the part in the "quoted" section of my post. I also addressed my feelings on Biden, it was in the "ETA" part of my post. So I wasn't moving the goal posts nor was I off topic. I addressed how ludicrous it is to say "shooting someone in the face isn't as bad as putting your hands on someone's shoulders for 28 seconds."

Here let me address your comments about "Chaney". Tu quo que fallacy.
It wasn't a tu quoque, I stayed consistent throughout my argument. theprestige implied that getting shot in the face is part of the hobby, it just happens from time to time . As long as both people are consenting then it shouldn't be a problem. I applied that same line of reasoning to Biden. There's no goal post moving, no tu quoque.

/chuckling at you and your pals complaining about a gotcha moment when I freely admitted that I had conflated two people making the identical fallacious comments and you bring it up like you are scoring huge points, or something.
I didn't even know I had "pals" around here, I guess I learned something new today. I don't need any points, I want you to admit that you're wrong in regards to my post, because you are. You're accusing me of being moving the goalposts and committing a fallacy, neither of which am I doing.

So when you're done chuckling feel free to address that....

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
"Chaney" was an actor who sometimes portrayed monsters.
"Cheney" is an actual monster.

I don't care how rattled you are by Biden's unwelcome touching, it's no excuse for spelling errors!
Thank you, and corrected in both posts. That's a rarity for me, I generally do well with spelling. My apologies.

Last edited by plague311; 23rd February 2015 at 09:27 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics