IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2016 primaries , joe biden

Old 9th September 2015, 11:25 AM   #1
Random
Illuminator

Joe Biden? Thoughts? Opinions?

Lots of rumors flying around that Joe Biden is considering a presidential run in the 2016. Does anyone think there is anything to them? My unstructured, formless thoughts:

I think it is all a bunch of Villager BS. Desperate for a centrist Democratic insider candidate who is not named "Clinton", they are reaching out for alternatives.

This would be his third presidential run. He ran against Obama and Clinton in 2008, and flopped horribly. He did better in 1988, winning 2 primary delegates, but since he needed about 2,200, not a great showing.

I don't see what he would do in a run this time around. He is not that different from Clinton in terms of policy, and Sanders has the liberal wing sewn up. It's pretty late for him to be thorwing his hat into the ring at this point, unless he has something to differentiate him from those two.

He doesn't seem to be as scandal-plagued as Clinton, but that means nothing. As soon as the GOP thinks that he has any chance of winning, the scandal machine would start grinding away against him. Systematically attacking Democratic presidents and presidential candidates continually is now GOP SOP.
Old 9th September 2015, 12:28 PM   #2
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Random View Post
Lots of rumors flying around that Joe Biden is considering a presidential run in the 2016. Does anyone think there is anything to them? My unstructured, formless thoughts:

I think it is all a bunch of Villager BS. Desperate for a centrist Democratic insider candidate who is not named "Clinton", they are reaching out for alternatives.

This would be his third presidential run. He ran against Obama and Clinton in 2008, and flopped horribly. He did better in 1988, winning 2 primary delegates, but since he needed about 2,200, not a great showing.

I don't see what he would do in a run this time around. He is not that different from Clinton in terms of policy, and Sanders has the liberal wing sewn up. It's pretty late for him to be thorwing his hat into the ring at this point, unless he has something to differentiate him from those two.

He doesn't seem to be as scandal-plagued as Clinton, but that means nothing. As soon as the GOP thinks that he has any chance of winning, the scandal machine would start grinding away against him. Systematically attacking Democratic presidents and presidential candidates continually is now GOP SOP.
He has been Vice President for 6 plus years, and does not have the taint of Hillary's sleaziness.

He'll likely have Obama's support, and that will be the difference maker.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2015, 12:48 PM   #3
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I think that Biden would be great, but unfortunately I also think that he is a bit too old for the job.

Also, with the recent death of his son, I do not think that he actually wants the job.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2015, 12:50 PM   #4
Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by 16.5 View Post
He has been Vice President for 6 plus years, and does not have the taint of Hillary's sleaziness.

He'll likely have Obama's support, and that will be the difference maker.
Vice-President doesn't really impress me. You get the super-special breifings and all that, but you have no actual authority or power unless there is a tie vote in the Senate or the President cannot perform the duties of office due to illness or death. There have been plenty of Presidents who were elected without ever being Vice-President.

Not having Clinton-Cooties is meaningless as well. Obama had no real connections to the Clintons, and it didn't stop the GOP from painting him as a MuslimoFascistCommieKenyan. Kerry had no palpable Clinton ties, and the GOP still engaged in the whole Swiftboat thing. I am sure that if Biden announces, GOP opposition researchers will get to work (assuming they haven't already assembled a file "just in case") tearing down his good name.
Old 9th September 2015, 12:52 PM   #5
mgidm86
Philosopher

Quick opinion - he will be 74 at inauguration time. He's too old.
Old 9th September 2015, 12:57 PM   #6
The Big Dog

Originally Posted by Random View Post
Vice-President doesn't really impress me. You get the super-special breifings and all that, but you have no actual authority or power unless there is a tie vote in the Senate or the President cannot perform the duties of office due to illness or death. There have been plenty of Presidents who were elected without ever being Vice-President.

Not having Clinton-Cooties is meaningless as well. Obama had no real connections to the Clintons, and it didn't stop the GOP from painting him as a MuslimoFascistCommieKenyan. Kerry had no palpable Clinton ties, and the GOP still engaged in the whole Swiftboat thing. I am sure that if Biden announces, GOP opposition researchers will get to work (assuming they haven't already assembled a file "just in case") tearing down his good name.
Clinton Cooties? Biden's opponent would be Hillary and Hillary's failures are virtually all self-inflicted.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2015, 01:32 PM   #7
logger
Banned

Couldn't the dems find someone young instead of these old white guys?
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2015, 04:31 PM   #8
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Quick opinion - he will be 74 at inauguration time. He's too old.
As is Hillary, as far as I'm concerned. She's the same age as me. And Sanders is even older -- he'd be 75 when inaugurated, if I'm doing my math right.

I don't think Biden will run. His heart's not in it.
Old 9th September 2015, 06:23 PM   #9
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I'd be surprised if he runs. He was openly questioning whether he had the "emotional energy" to run. That's not something you do if you think you might want to run.

I would have thought we would have a definitive answer by Labor Day, but they're saying he'll decide by the end of the month. It's already late in the game to jump in as it is.
Old 9th September 2015, 06:28 PM   #10
Denver
Penultimate Amazing

If Biden was run against Trump, I think Trump would win. Biden is a no-show.

Hillary will be the Dem choice. Once she actually throws her campaign into full gear, I think she will beat Trump.

So no Biden.
Old 9th September 2015, 06:39 PM   #11
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The way he was running around the other day at whatever fairground he was it, it was clear he was eating the center-of-attention campaigning limelight up. It was the polar opposite of his depressive comments at whatever Jewish center talk he was at when he said he didn't know if he could do it again.

I don't think the Party Apparatus has been encouraging him but clearly followers and Hillary haters have.

I don't think it's going to matter one way or the other. If he runs the vote is split between him and Sanders. If he doesn't run, Hillary wins (from everything we see at the moment) anyway.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2015, 06:56 PM   #12
Grizzly Bear
このマスクによっ

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Also, with the recent death of his son, I do not think that he actually wants the job.
I never liked him to begin with but this issue resonates with me. The death of his son is hard enough. Can't imagine the strain of campaigning while still only just off the heels of this. Not to say he won't.
Old 9th September 2015, 08:28 PM   #13
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I don't expect a lot from a Democratic POTUS -- avoid war* and appoint "liberals" to SCOTUS** and I'm ok with that. As a pragmatist/cynic (take your pick), at this stage pretty much all I care about is electability.

Sanders is unelectable. Clinton is in trouble. I hope Biden gets in just in case a viable Clinton alternative becomes imperative.

* Clinton and Biden seem more or less a toss-up, in terms of being (overly) militaristic.

** I'll never forgive Bill Clinton for nominating geezers.
Old 9th September 2015, 08:37 PM   #14
Manopolus
Metaphorical Anomaly

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
[...] And Sanders is even older -- he'd be 75 when inaugurated, if I'm doing my math right.[...]
He just turned 74 yesterday (Sept. 8), if that helps.
Manopolus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2015, 06:14 AM   #15
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Frankly the last few times I saw him speak he doesn't look that healthy.
Old 10th September 2015, 06:15 AM   #16
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Anthony Weiner?
Old 10th September 2015, 06:29 AM   #17
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by logger View Post
So Hillary Clinton is an old white guy?

I am sure that her husband and daughter will be surprised to hear that news.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics