IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags CT humor , flat earth , flat earthers

Old 28th March 2017, 07:17 AM   #41
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Photoshop
Fisheye lens.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2017, 01:04 PM   #42
carlitos
"más divertido"

Just curious - if the Earth is flat, what is below the surface? How deep down could you dig? Is it a giant rectangle? Square? Half-cylinder?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2017, 01:25 PM   #43
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Just curious - if the Earth is flat, what is below the surface? How deep down could you dig? Is it a giant rectangle? Square? Half-cylinder?
Elephants standing on the shell of a giant turtle....
Old 28th March 2017, 01:30 PM   #44
bytewizard
Master Poster

It is a pancake. A very large, stale pancake.
Below is butter.
You can dig 1/2 inch unless you think it is actually a stack of pancakes.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 05:55 AM   #45
CynicalSkeptic
Master Poster

The one flat-earth troll I know uses this map:

The thickness question is up for some debate.
CynicalSkeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 08:32 AM   #46
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by CynicalSkeptic View Post

https://i.imgur.com/ULkqCIg.gif
And if he wants to prove it's true, he could phone anyone living on the equator tomorrow, at local 9am, and ask them to check if the sun is to their North East, rather than East as those pesky round earthers claim it should be. And at local 3pm call again to ask if the sun is now North West rather than due West.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 09:17 AM   #47
Finster
Graduate Poster

There is some comedy gold in the FAQ section of that website ...

"Most Flat Earthers think Astronauts have been bribed or coerced into their testimonies. Some believe they have been fooled or are mistaken."

"While one can see satellites in the sky at night, it is generally agreed upon that they are not actual satellites but pseudolites or stratolites put there to fool us."

"Gravity as a theory is false. Objects simply fall. "

"The Flat Earth Society, along with previous notable flatists such as Samuel Shenton and S. Rowbotham, believe there is no end to the Earth and that it continues indefinitely."
Old 30th March 2017, 01:22 PM   #48
carlitos
"más divertido"

Thanks for that. On the bright side, if this guy is right, going to outer space would be as simple as scuba diving:

Originally Posted by how thick is the earth?
between 2 to 3 miles - this is diggable using modern mining techniques. It should also provide a permanent way for astronauts and space vehicles to enter outer space. A lot easier than firing rockets.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th March 2017, 01:31 PM   #49
The Big Dog

https://i.imgur.com/ULkqCIg.gif

I suspect the people in the polar regions would be surprised to find out that it was sunny every day of the year.

And us folk in Chicago would be surprised that there are no seasons... Oh wait, skip that... crummy Smarch weather....
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2017, 01:59 PM   #50
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks for that. On the bright side, if this guy is right, going to outer space would be as simple as scuba diving:
Pretty amusing since we have oil wells at least six or seven miles deep!
Old 4th April 2017, 12:07 AM   #51
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Pretty amusing since we have oil wells at least six or seven miles deep!

Aha! So the discworld revolves on a layer of oil.
Old 4th April 2017, 05:37 AM   #52
Degeneve
Muse

It seems that Sfax university in Tunisia has allowed a PhD student to prepare (since 2011) a thesis which defends not only the flat earth theory but also geocentrism. Furthermore the dissertation (written in French) is filled with spelling and grammar mistakes and, apparently, religious references too.

This has raised strong reactions in Tunisian scientific and university circles : http://www.jeuneafrique.com/424393/s...ostFB_03042017 (in French, sorry for this)
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 05:54 AM   #53
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Finster View Post
There is some comedy gold in the FAQ section of that website ...

"Most Flat Earthers think Astronauts have been bribed or coerced into their testimonies. Some believe they have been fooled or are mistaken."
This just shows how deluded conspiracy theorists are; as if all of those passionate people could be simply wrong or purchased. As for the assassins, you need assassins to keep them in line, too.

Quote:
"While one can see satellites in the sky at night, it is generally agreed upon that they are not actual satellites but pseudolites or stratolites put there to fool us."
That's hilarious. If this is true, it would require those false satellites to always be at the right place, at the right speed and trajectory for amateur astronomers around the world to find them. That's A LOT of commitment. One wonders what the benefit of hiding the true shape of the earth would be.

This isn't even getting into the fact that anyone can fly around the world.

Quote:
"Gravity as a theory is false. Objects simply fall. "
Simply fall? Why do they fall?

Quote:
"The Flat Earth Society, along with previous notable flatists such as Samuel Shenton and S. Rowbotham, believe there is no end to the Earth and that it continues indefinitely."
So if I fly from London to Tokyo to Toronto to London again, all eastward, what's their explanation?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 06:09 AM   #54
Worm
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
I was having this discussion with a flat-earther on a local newspaper discussion page, and the best he could come up with was- direct quote - 'magic'.

Quote:
an apple doesnt move away from the earth because it is of the earth and yes its magic.
Earlier, he gave this explanation (apologies for the lack of punctuation, this is direct cut and paste)

Quote:
the reason an apple fals to the ground is because the molecules of the apple are denser than the molecules of air so the air cant support it

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness

Last edited by Worm; 4th April 2017 at 06:14 AM. Reason: numbskullery
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 06:17 AM   #55
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
"the reason an apple fals to the ground is because the molecules of the apple are denser than the molecules of air so the air cant support it "
Yeah but without gravity, why would it need to be supported? He's just handwaved the question away.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 06:24 AM   #56
Worm
Illuminator

Yup. It was a whole lot of handwaving. I never got a clearer response than 'magic'.

He also didn't believe that rockets worked.

The mind boggles really.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th April 2017, 06:28 AM   #57
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Yup. It was a whole lot of handwaving. I never got a clearer response than 'magic'.

He also didn't believe that rockets worked.

The mind boggles really.
Yeah it takes quite a level of practical ignorance to be so utterly unable to grasp the basics of reality like that. I means he's never been at 40,000 feet, or on a sea or ocean, etc.

Old 20th May 2017, 03:27 PM   #58
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

It's pretty obvious earth is pyramid shaped.
Old 20th May 2017, 03:33 PM   #59
Fellow Traveler
Master Poster

I wonder what the FE people thought when they saw a ship with a tall mast sink over the horizon and then return to port?
Old 20th May 2017, 04:12 PM   #60
bknight
Master Poster

One can not argue with stupid.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2017, 03:38 AM   #61
cjnewson88
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
It's pretty obvious earth is pyramid shaped.
I was thinking more cock and balls shaped...
http://www.youtube.com/user/cjnewson88
cjnewson88 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2017, 03:50 AM   #62
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fellow Traveler View Post
I wonder what the FE people thought when they saw a ship with a tall mast sink over the horizon and then return to port?
I wonder how many people have actually ever seen that happen.

I also wonder why you ended a statement with a question mark.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2017, 03:51 AM   #63
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
One can not argue with stupid.
Clearly you've never been to the ISF forums!
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st May 2017, 07:07 PM   #64
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Clearly you've never been to the ISF forums!
Really any forum for that matter.
Old 22nd May 2017, 04:06 PM   #65
GT/CS
Illuminator

Originally Posted by cjnewson88 View Post
I was thinking more cock and balls shaped...
Huh, you may want to talk to a medical professional about those thoughts.
Old 22nd May 2017, 06:43 PM   #66
Arisia
Graduate Poster

I wonder if there are any Flat Earthers with a degree in Geography (from a credible institution, of course)?
Arisia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2017, 06:51 PM   #67
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Fellow Traveler View Post
They call it "perspective" .
Old 22nd May 2017, 06:52 PM   #68
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Arisia View Post
I wonder if there are any Flat Earthers with a degree in Geography (from a credible institution, of course)?
Rarer yet would be one who has navigated a ship over the ocean.
Old 23rd May 2017, 09:27 AM   #69
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I wonder how many people have actually ever seen that happen.

I also wonder why you ended a statement with a question mark.
I haven't seen that exact scenario happen, but I do remember several years ago, on a Saturday afternoon in Chicago, seeing a lot (hundreds, probably) of sailboats on Lake Michigan. Only the tops of the sails of the more distant ones were visible.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd May 2017, 02:29 PM   #70
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
This just shows how deluded conspiracy theorists are; as if all of those passionate people could be simply wrong or purchased. As for the assassins, you need assassins to keep them in line, too.

That's hilarious. If this is true, it would require those false satellites to always be at the right place, at the right speed and trajectory for amateur astronomers around the world to find them. That's A LOT of commitment. One wonders what the benefit of hiding the true shape of the earth would be.

This isn't even getting into the fact that anyone can fly around the world.

So if I fly from London to Tokyo to Toronto to London again, all eastward, what's their explanation?
On the map cynicalskeptic posted, North on a compass always points to the centre of the map so to follow East or west will take you in a circle.
Old 23rd May 2017, 03:11 PM   #71
p0lka
Master Poster

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
They call it "perspective" .
Don't they actually call it "The Law of Perspective", haha.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 11:05 AM   #72
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Don't they actually call it "The Law of Perspective", haha.
yep. And apparently this law means that the bottom parts of objects will no longer be visible, while the top will, even if you use a telescope, the bottom part will still not be visible.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 12:36 PM   #73
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

What is the flat earther explanation for the North Star getting lower to the horizon as you approach the equator, then not being visible in the southern hemisphere?
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 03:43 PM   #74
p0lka
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
What is the flat earther explanation for the North Star getting lower to the horizon as you approach the equator, then not being visible in the southern hemisphere?
Maybe all the flat earthers are in the northern hemisphere, and they don't travel much?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 11:57 PM   #75
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

<handwaves> Refraction in, umm, the crystal spheres means as you move away from the North pole the angle... No, hang on, that goes the wrong way. Wait a minute. Umm. Well anyway it's going to be refraction.
Old 25th May 2017, 06:08 AM   #76
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
<handwaves> Refraction in, umm, the crystal spheres means as you move away from the North pole the angle... No, hang on, that goes the wrong way. Wait a minute. Umm. Well anyway it's going to be refraction.
PERSPECTIVE!
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2017, 12:47 PM   #77
halleyscomet
Penultimate Amazing

xkcd has recently explored one side effect we'd see of a Flat Earth:

https://xkcd.com/1830/

It's not explicitly described as a Flat Earth comic, but based upon the "cosmology" described by the typical Flat Earther, Troll or serious, this appears to be a reasonable approximation of what could be expected.
Old 25th May 2017, 08:04 PM   #78
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
PERSPECTIVE!
No no, it is called the 'reflective receptive perspective corrective'
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2017, 10:48 PM   #79
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Does anyone know if the flat earthers have an interpretation of the Cavendish experiment? Do they deny it explicitly, perhaps through some conspiracy theory, or only it's implications?
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2017, 12:03 AM   #80
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Perspective actually does that. The North Star isn't nearly as high as we've been lied to, so it appears lower from greater distances. The same happens if you move away from a tall building.

These Flat Earthers are fun

McHrozni

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories