IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Hunter Biden , joe biden , rudy giuliani , Trump controversies , US-Ukraine relations

Old 23rd October 2019, 06:07 AM   #2241
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I mean seriously "Quid Pro quo?" You expect me to believe Trump can speak Latin?

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 23rd October 2019 at 06:08 AM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 06:08 AM   #2242
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I mean seriously "Quid Pro quo?" You expect me to believe Trump can speak Latin?
If he didn't say it on the phone, it doesn't count.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 06:39 AM   #2243
Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I wish. McConnell just said he didn't recall having a conversation with Trump about the phone call. I don't know why CBS was asking McConnell today about a remark Trump made on Oct. 3. I believe McConnell never made the "innocent" comment because I can see him not wanting to converse about the call - the same way a defense lawyer might head off a confession by a client. But he was probably aware of Trump's comment at the time and saw no need to correct the record.

I can totally see a politician saying to a reporter, "Ask me about Trump's comment," knowing it will give him a chance to say, " I don't recall any conversation about the phone call. " If McConnell himself suggested the question, that would be significant. But if the reporter was just asking in a kind of random way, his comment isn't that significant. People can always say, well, that's just Trump, he exaggerates. McConnell did make a comment at some point about the phone call not being an impeachment-level offense, which Trump just in a Trumpian way puffs up to "McConnell said it's the most innocent phone call ever." It certainly doesn't make Trump look good, and it's nice to see him contradicting Trump, but he did not call Trump a liar.
I can see it both ways. There might have been a phone call where McConnell stated that Trump was obviously innocent, but McConnell might not want to admit to it in order to avoid allegations that he had no intention of a fair trial in the Senate. But there might also have been no phone call at all, and McConnell doesn’t want to come out and publicly state that Trump is full of it.

“I can’t recall”, is vague and effectively meaningless, like most politician’s public statements.
Old 23rd October 2019, 06:41 AM   #2244
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
If he didn't say it on the phone, it doesn't count.
Absolutely. You have to say "quid pro quo" in order for it to be a quid pro quo. QED.
Old 23rd October 2019, 06:46 AM   #2245
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump is innocent of having asked for a quid-pro-quo.
It was Extortion - something completely different.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 07:01 AM   #2246
Cain
Straussian

Julian Sanchez's Twitter feed has been sounding an important reminder:

Quote:
Trump’s obsessive “no quid pro quo!” reminds me of his “no collusion” mantra: An attempt to focus all debate on one very specific dimension of his potential misconduct as though it’s the only relevant or important one.
Quote:
The main difference in this case, of course, is that it’s pretty straightforward to show there was a quid pro quo. But he shouldn’t get to set the terms of the discussion like this. If there hadn’t been one, his conduct would still easily justify impeachment and removal.
Quote:
The ask would be impeachable whether or not he was offering to trade anything concrete for the “deliverable” of announcing investigations (though clearly he was).
Quote:
Witholding congressionally appropriated funds to use as leverage for personal benefit would be impeachable whether or not he used it (though clearly he did).
Quote:
So yeah, by all means, it should be pointed out that “no quid pro quo!” is a lie. But it’s also vital to reject the attempt to normalize every OTHER aspect of this. The tacit message is “everything about this is fine except for the overt quid pro quo.” But it isn’t!
Old 23rd October 2019, 07:03 AM   #2247
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump is innocent of having asked for a quid-pro-quo.
It was Extortion - something completely different.
Maybe some light treason...
Old 23rd October 2019, 08:43 AM   #2248
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

He can speak it. He just doesn't know what any of it means.
Old 23rd October 2019, 08:59 AM   #2249
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by Random View Post
“I can’t recall”, is vague and effectively meaningless, like most politician’s public statements.
I think the principle was well-explained in Star Trek VI:
Valeris: I don't remember

Spock: A lie!

Valeris: A choice.
Old 23rd October 2019, 09:03 AM   #2250
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post

Except it was still a lie.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 09:44 AM   #2251
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I haven't had the chance to follow the fake news lately because I've been so busy working (i.e., supporting all of the welfare recipients in this thread). I've seen headlines to the effect that recent testimony "proves" a quid pro quo, which is ridiculous. There was no quid pro quo. Trump, being a businessman, simply said "you do something for me, and I'll do something for you." Happens all the time.
As long as you do it openly in plain sight, it's not a crime.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 10:03 AM   #2252
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Except it was still a lie.
A lie, by any other name, is still a lie.
Old 23rd October 2019, 10:09 AM   #2253
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post

Sex in the City in Space!
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 05:30 PM   #2254
TellyKNeasuss
Master Poster

I don't know whether you were intending to be humorous or just suggesting what Trump's next attempt at defense might be ("I couldn't have engaged in quid pro quo because I don't speak Latin.")

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 06:04 PM   #2255
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Absolutely. You have to say "quid pro quo" in order for it to be a quid pro quo. QED.
Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics