IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 13th November 2020, 02:30 PM   #1401
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump seemed to be on the cusp of saying "the Biden administration," but caught himself and said "time will tell"
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 02:31 PM   #1402
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

He still hasn't figured out that testing doesn't cause cases.

trying to own the libs feels extra awkward now he's lost.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 02:35 PM   #1403
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Is that a new hair colour or just my monitor?
Old 13th November 2020, 02:36 PM   #1404
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

"average development time for a vaccine can take 8-12 years, but we are doing it in less than one year"
We?

Did he imply that New York won't get the vaccine for 'political reasons'?
Old 13th November 2020, 02:41 PM   #1405
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Would you trust anyone with something called Operation Warp Speed that shows up 26 minutes late?
Old 13th November 2020, 02:46 PM   #1406
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

In 1955, President Eisenhower thanked Dr. Jonas Salk for his “selfless and dedicated medical research” to find a polio vaccine. He did not take credit for himself.
Old 13th November 2020, 02:48 PM   #1407
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The first guy actually contradicted The PDJT when he said that the vaccine's efficacy and safety is not determined by the company that produced it, or politics, or (something else), but by independent reviewers (as opposed to Pfizer holding out on its announcement until after the Election). Wonder how long he's going to last in that job.

The PDJT also said Pfizer received $1.x "million", I mean "billion" dollars for vaccine purposes, and that whatever they said about it was a misrepresentation. I haven't seen the fact check on this but I'm pretty sure it's ********.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
"average development time for a vaccine can take 8-12 years, but we are doing it in less than one year"
We?

Did he imply that New York won't get the vaccine for 'political reasons'?
Yes. Yes, he did.

I caught that right away, too. It was... not orange.

Last edited by alfaniner; 13th November 2020 at 02:55 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 04:06 PM   #1408
xjx388
Philosopher

Sounds like Trump might be exiting the bargaining stage of grief. Still need depression before we get to acceptance.
Old 13th November 2020, 04:48 PM   #1409
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The PDJT also said Pfizer received $1.x "million", I mean "billion" dollars for vaccine purposes, and that whatever they said about it was a misrepresentation. I haven't seen the fact check on this but I'm pretty sure it's ********.

It's my understanding that they have an agreement in place to get paid for distribution, but the development itself didn't use government funding.

EDIT: Or an agreement for future purchases of the vaccine. No money has changed hands, in any case.

Last edited by Armitage72; 13th November 2020 at 04:55 PM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 05:22 PM   #1410
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It's my understanding that they have an agreement in place to get paid for distribution, but the development itself didn't use government funding.

EDIT: Or an agreement for future purchases of the vaccine. No money has changed hands, in any case.
That was the deal; I'd be suspicious of any monetary negotiations that Trump had remotely anything to do with.
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 05:24 PM   #1411
Tero
Master Poster

Normally drug companies pay for all trials, though hospitals under contract run them. Results are published as well as filed with FDA.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 05:28 PM   #1412
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
The MSM has realized Trump is not conceding, and that he has a strong path to prevailing via congress's 30+ Republican states' representatives. The constitution allows two per state to choose, overruling the electoral college.
I'm going to ignore the utter and complete inanity of the whole post and focus on just that word. Trump, due to his limited vocabulary, uses "strong" when there are many other words that would convey his intended meaning.

The same is true here. What is a "strong" path? Likely to happen? Easily taken? Popular? Legal? Who the hell knows.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 12:06 AM   #1413
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrosia

Sheesh. Can I go back to my schadenfreude now?
Quote:
Ambrosia and Nectar were commonly spoken of in ancient texts, with the general consensus being that Ambrosia was a food, whilst Nectar was the drink, but it was not uncommon to see Nectar named as the food and Ambrosia the drink.
https://www.greeklegendsandmyths.com...nd-nectar.html

We now return you to your regularly scheduled schadenfreude......
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 12:08 AM   #1414
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Definitely gray. He hasn't got the time for dying it while fighting all the voter fraud for his people.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 12:12 AM   #1415
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

In 1955, President Eisenhower thanked Dr. Jonas Salk for his “selfless and dedicated medical research” to find a polio vaccine. He did not take credit for himself.
Eisenhower wasn't a lying, narcissistic, sociopathic, piece of excrement.
Old 14th November 2020, 12:15 AM   #1416
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Definitely gray. He hasn't got the time for dying it while fighting all the voter fraud for his people.
He went for a silvery style, with less mullet and forelock, very early on. I thought it looked better than his usual 'do. He soon went back to the usual hairstyle. Maybe he thought the more-distinguished result made him look old.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 12:30 AM   #1417
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Reading above, I see an enormous amount of hatred posted in this thread.
I’ll stop hating Trump on the day he stops hating the American electorate.
Old 14th November 2020, 12:51 AM   #1418
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
He went for a silvery style, with less mullet and forelock, very early on. I thought it looked better than his usual 'do. He soon went back to the usual hairstyle. Maybe he thought the more-distinguished result made him look old.
Being old makes him look old
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 02:55 AM   #1419
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
I'm going to ignore the utter and complete inanity of the whole post and focus on just that word. Trump, due to his limited vocabulary, uses "strong" when there are many other words that would convey his intended meaning.

The same is true here. What is a "strong" path? Likely to happen? Easily taken? Popular? Legal? Who the hell knows.
As long as the path doesn't have a gentle downward slope...
Old 14th November 2020, 05:40 AM   #1420
Ambrosia
Good of the Fods

Nit: Ambrosia was the food of the gods. Nectar was the drink.
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
They ate custard? Never knew that.
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
...or rice pudding
You rang?
Ambrosia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 05:42 AM   #1421
Ambrosia
Good of the Fods

Plan F)

Slowly morph into Joe Bidens Doppelganger...
Ambrosia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 06:36 AM   #1422
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
Yeah, but the manlier gods should be consuming manly sustenance, such as whole oxen.
A Joint of Oxen would be an awesome name for a heavy metal band of Vikings.
Old 14th November 2020, 07:42 AM   #1423
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
Plan F)

If he would lose the hair cement and Dairy Queen swirl, we might find out that he resembles President-Elect Biden more than it seems.
Old 14th November 2020, 11:06 AM   #1424
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

This has been noted in the news. Looks like he doesn't have time to do his face, either. The poor thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Just no time!.jpg (80.3 KB, 27 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 11:17 AM   #1425
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
This has been noted in the news. Looks like he doesn't have time to do his face, either. The poor thing.
As I heard one wag say, his hair has conceded.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 12:33 PM   #1426
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

The really sad part is, he actually looks better without all that **** on his face. Too bad there's no one in his life who cares enough about him to actually tell him the truth.
Old 14th November 2020, 12:37 PM   #1427
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

It’s those LED low energy bulbs.

(I’ve just realised why he doesn’t like the LED bulbs, its because they are “low energy” and for him that is one of his strongest insults and he considers it a “juge” negative. Never thought about it before.)
Old 14th November 2020, 12:41 PM   #1428
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
The really sad part is, he actually looks better without all that **** on his face. Too bad there's no one in his life who cares enough about him to actually tell him the truth.
He wouldn't believe them.
Old 14th November 2020, 01:31 PM   #1429
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The odd thing is, while Rudy Giuliani served as mayor of New York City he wore a toupee -- or sported an artfully constructed comb over -- which he abruptly abandoned in 2002 after leaving office. For New Yorkers, it was quite startling to suddenly see him bald on top. But most politicians say there is a definite down period after leaving or losing a top office. I guess Giuliani had decided, "Why even bother?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rudy before and after.jpg (67.1 KB, 18 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 01:45 PM   #1430
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I often see politicians in their senior years with jet black or coffee-brown hair, not a gray strand in sight. It looks ridiculous. (Reagan was one of the few who could pull it off.) A mismatch between the evidence of what's on their heads and the lines on their faces. Granted, there may be some who are genetically predisposed to keep more of their hair, and I suppose a much smaller percentage that don't actually turn gray (even a little bit), but for the most part it's a visual lie.

OK, so women can get away with it. That's society.
Old 14th November 2020, 02:11 PM   #1431
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The worse in the USA is the teeth. Totally gleaming white dazzlers!
Old 14th November 2020, 04:21 PM   #1432
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
The worse in the USA is the teeth. Totally gleaming white dazzlers!
You don't see those much in the UK, do you?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 05:32 PM   #1433
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I often see politicians in their senior years with jet black or coffee-brown hair, not a gray strand in sight. It looks ridiculous. (Reagan was one of the few who could pull it off.) A mismatch between the evidence of what's on their heads and the lines on their faces. Granted, there may be some who are genetically predisposed to keep more of their hair, and I suppose a much smaller percentage that don't actually turn gray (even a little bit), but for the most part it's a visual lie.

OK, so women can get away with it. That's society.
My dad had 100% dark brown hair until he was in his early 70's. When he died at 75, he still only had some gray mixed in with the brown. On the other hand, my mother was completely salt and pepper gray in her mid-30's. It's all in the genes.
Old 14th November 2020, 06:06 PM   #1434
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
My son-in-law is a born and bred Belfastian. My grand kids (both <10 y.o.) already have bad teeth.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 06:10 PM   #1435
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Normally drug companies pay for all trials, though hospitals under contract run them. Results are published as well as filed with FDA.
That's not completely true but it's not important and it's off topic to get into it.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 14th November 2020 at 06:17 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 06:13 PM   #1436
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
Plan F)

In true Manchurian style?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 07:35 PM   #1437
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Sadly we are seeing it more and more.
Old 14th November 2020, 08:24 PM   #1438
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

My dad had 100% dark brown hair until he was in his early 70's. When he died at 75, he still only had some gray mixed in with the brown. On the other hand, my mother was completely salt and pepper gray in her mid-30's. It's all in the genes.
Hair? What's that?
Old 14th November 2020, 08:39 PM   #1439
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Hair? What's that?
It's that stuff that grows on legs and butts.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 09:13 PM   #1440
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
My son-in-law is a born and bred Belfastian. My grand kids (both <10 y.o.) already have bad teeth.

He might be interested in this, from the Belfast paper.
Quote:
The UK's Oral Health Foundation is calling for the introduction of widespread community fluoridation schemes, a move they believe will help protect millions from tooth decay.
https://www.irishnews.com/lifestyle/...eland-1370511/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics