IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 28th December 2020, 06:39 PM   #3001
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

This is why Trump signed it. It is the only thing that matters to him as a measure of "success".

Dow hits record high after Trump belatedly signs Covid relief bill [Guardian]
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th December 2020, 06:39 PM   #3002
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Hmm. Well yes; in the Animal/Vegetable/Mineral trichotomy I am definitely among the former. Also, I'm cheap.
In that case, I suggest a straw. Reusable.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th December 2020, 06:49 PM   #3003
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

Lindsey Graham
@LindseyGrahamSC
Congress will vote on additional stimulus checks and repealing Section 230 -- all wins for the American people.

Well done Mr. President!

Both are reasonable demands, and I hope Congress is listening. The biggest winner would be the American people.
Repeal of Section 230 has not been part of the congressional effort. It's still there and in place, untouched.

It would need to be raised by the Senate for any further discussion. And pounds to a penny Mitch will kill that deader than dirt if it was. Ditto the $2K payments. Mitch has already started securing his own future, and it isn't on the Trump gravy train any more.

But L'il Lickspittle Lindsey is still talking about voting for these... You really have to wonder what Trump has on him.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th December 2020, 07:00 PM   #3004
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
A lot of stuff is in the Constitution.

A lot of Congress's powers are in the form of rules by which an executive agency can or cannot operate (through laws).

If Congress includes "and you can make some limited alterations while requesting said alterations formally under the following provisions" in every budget, that would be totally constitutional. It is no less so that they just have a law for the whole process that includes that already.

Yes, my example was related to foreign policy, but the President doesn't decide what country gets aid in what amounts by unilateral decree. Congress controls the purse. The President can name ambassadors and negotiate (but not ratify/enact) a treaty.

But Congress can also decide not to create the positions to staff a negotiating team, not provide any funds to pay salaries to them, etc.

In any case, Congress decided it wanted it this way. Congress has a mechanism for changing it. The proper attitude of the court is "this is a political issue, it has a political solution."

ETA: Only "The United States Congress" would have standing to file suit, as they are the only party to whom expenditures from the public treasury is granted, and the only party who could claim to be "harmed/injured." By their own law. That they can change.
I think we're on the same wavelength. Yes, Congress controls the purse, but POTUS manages US foreign policy. The issue is when it comes to foreign aid, there is a direct conflict of responsibilities.
Old 28th December 2020, 07:14 PM   #3005
SezMe
post-pre-born

newyorkguy stated that Trump knew he was despised by a lot of people and Ladewig replied:

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Does he?

Isnít it possible his mental disorder prevents him from understanding that?
I think that is a good question but, if not, I wouldn't put it down to a mental disorder. I remember Obama commenting one time that he felt quite isolated as president. Trump has exacerbated that situation by getting rid of people around him who live in the reality-based community, he has these rallies where only adoring fans are allowed in and he consumes nothing but very right-wing news. I'd say there's a good chance he does not know where he stands with all Americans. In fact, he'd mprobably have to believe that to keep up his "rigged election" nonsense.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th December 2020, 07:19 PM   #3006
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

House overrides Trump's veto 322 to 87

House overrides Trump's Defense budget veto. Required 66.6% vote. Received 79%.

I'd bet money the Senate will vote to override as well.
Old 28th December 2020, 07:26 PM   #3007
SezMe
post-pre-born

Rep. Matt Gaetz tweeted

@RepMattGaetz
Iím not going back to yesterdayís Republican Party.

THIS IS DONALD TRUMPíS PARTY!
Hopefully you're not going back to congress either,

Gaetz' district is the very western tip of the Florida panhandle. Going by just land area, nearly half of the district consists of Eglin Air Force base. No wonder he got elected. The Florida panhandle is just Alabama under a different name.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th December 2020, 07:30 PM   #3008
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I cringed when looking at the clip of those two pushing it onto the bottle top. That process looks absolutely guaranteed to slice someone's hand in half when the glass part breaks.
Old 28th December 2020, 07:39 PM   #3009
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Hopefully you're not going back to congress either,

Gaetz' district is the very western tip of the Florida panhandle. Going by just land area, nearly half of the district consists of Eglin Air Force base. No wonder he got elected. The Florida panhandle is just Alabama under a different name.
Oh, geez....that's where my dad's bio father's family is from. Thank god he got adopted out of there.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th December 2020, 08:10 PM   #3010
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I cringed when looking at the clip of those two pushing it onto the bottle top. That process looks absolutely guaranteed to slice someone's hand in half when the glass part breaks.
I had the same cringing thought.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th December 2020, 08:14 PM   #3011
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Nnnnnnng! #metoo!
Old 28th December 2020, 09:28 PM   #3012
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Unbelievable. Trump issued a proclamation today commemorating the 850th anniversary of the martyrdom of Thomas Beckett.

I'd bet Trump doesn't know a damn thing about Beckett.

Beckett was murdered by supporters of King Henry the Second after King Henry said "Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?"
Old 28th December 2020, 10:26 PM   #3013
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Unbelievable. Trump issued a proclamation today commemorating the 850th anniversary of the martyrdom of Thomas Beckett.

Beckett was murdered by supporters of King Henry the Second after King Henry said "Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?"
The question becomes... who put him up to it?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th December 2020, 10:37 PM   #3014
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

newyorkguy stated that Trump knew he was despised by a lot of people and Ladewig replied:

I think that is a good question but, if not, I wouldn't put it down to a mental disorder. I remember Obama commenting one time that he felt quite isolated as president. Trump has exacerbated that situation by getting rid of people around him who live in the reality-based community, he has these rallies where only adoring fans are allowed in and he consumes nothing but very right-wing news. I'd say there's a good chance he does not know where he stands with all Americans. In fact, he'd mprobably have to believe that to keep up his "rigged election" nonsense.
I still like the mental disorder theory, but Iíll admit there is plenty of evidence to support your idea.

Trump erroneously believes ratings equal approval. So when he is the lead story, he thinks that is a measure of his respect and his success.

Trump will never understand that most US presidential elections are decided less by people voting for the person they like the most and more by people voting for the person they hate the least. Thatís how he won in 2016 and how he lost in 2020.
Old 29th December 2020, 12:27 AM   #3015
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I had the same cringing thought.
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Nnnnnnng! #metoo!
Wussies. I suggest you drink Shirley Temples.
Old 29th December 2020, 01:09 AM   #3016
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I suggest you keep a tourniquet and a phone with 911 speed dial handy.

Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 01:47 AM   #3017
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I suggest you keep a tourniquet and a phone with 911 speed dial handy.

Nah, I'll just play the weak, helpless lil' woman and ask my neighbor to put it on for me. I never liked him anyway.
Old 29th December 2020, 03:25 AM   #3018
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I'm a MAN damn it... make mine a Roy Rogers!

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 03:40 AM   #3019
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

What the heck is wrong with an ordinary wine glass?

Old 29th December 2020, 03:45 AM   #3020
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
The question becomes... who put him up to it?

Miller??

I'm guessing they told Donny that Thomas Beckett was some famous guy who was just like him, and he got persecuted as a result. Just like Trump is being persecuted now. Just that they conveniently failed to tell Donny the time period, the players, and the reason for the murder. What do you think the chances are Donny thinks Thomas Beckett was actually an obscure 1970's building developer in New York.
Old 29th December 2020, 03:46 AM   #3021
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Give the people $2000, not $600. They have suffered enough!
Quote Tweet

Nicole Alexander Fisher
@_nalexander
Senator Sanders will filibuster any attempt for the Senate to override Trump's veto for the NDAA until a vote for the stimulus increase to $2000 is brought to the floor.

This may force the Senate to stay in session until the New Year.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 03:46 AM   #3022
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

John Joyce
@RepJohnJoyce
While I support many provisions of the NDAA, I respect our Commander-in-Chief’s calls to make it even stronger for our men & women in uniform. Alongside @realDonaldTrump, I’ll keep fighting to support the warfighter, bolster our strong national defense, & equip our Armed Forces.

Lance Gooden
@Lancegooden
Today I will be voting NO on the override of @realDonaldTrump's veto of the NDAA.
Here's why:
The act fails to terminate Section 230 and is a gift to our enemies like communist China!

Rep. Matt Gaetz
@RepMattGaetz
The NDAA was hijacked by the forever war lobby and their bought and paid for allies in the United States Congress.
President @realDonaldTrump took a principled stand against this unprincipled legislation by vetoing it.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 29th December 2020 at 03:48 AM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 03:49 AM   #3023
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweets

Rep Andy Biggs
@RepAndyBiggsAZ
Today, I voted to defend President @realDonaldTrump's veto of the NDAA because it serves foreign interests, not American interests.
President Trump has always been a staunch advocate of our troops, and sadly, this bill does not prioritize them or our nation's future.
Old 29th December 2020, 03:50 AM   #3024
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweets

Senator Mike Braun
@SenatorBraun
I want to thank Pres. Trump for signing the COVID relief bill much needed by Main St. small businesses & their employees across the country. I support his veto of the massive, unaudited NDAA & his call for Congress to address wasteful spending in the Omnibus spending bill...

I am also calling on my colleagues in the U.S. Senate to vote immediately to repeal Section 230 to hold Big Tech accountable and cut the pork in the Omnibus spending bill...

We should not adjourn the 116th Congress with our final act being an override of President Trump’s veto while ignoring these other urgent matters.
Old 29th December 2020, 03:58 AM   #3025
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Everyone but Mitch is in support of the $2K handouts, it seems. And here was I thinking Trumpistas were opposed to all the government handouts, i.e. "the pork". How wrong I was!
Old 29th December 2020, 07:02 AM   #3026
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

$2000 for our great people, not $600! They have suffered enough from the China Virus!!!
Old 29th December 2020, 07:07 AM   #3027
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Everyone but Mitch is in support of the $2K handouts, it seems.
Yeah. So what does the fact the 2,000 stimulus checks almost certainly won't happen tell us about our government?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 07:55 AM   #3028
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

I think we're on the same wavelength. Yes, Congress controls the purse, but POTUS manages US foreign policy. The issue is when it comes to foreign aid, there is a direct conflict of responsibilities.
No, there isn't.

Policy is policy.

Expenditures are expenditures.

The President can make all the policy he likes with whoever he can get to come by for tea and talking.

Or

Congress can give the President a budget to have full time professionals advise him and enact his policies.

There might be conflict, one branch or the other may use their levers available to agitate. Maybe there will be unity and consensus. Maybe they will largely work together but sometimes strategically shiv each other. Maybe they will hammer out a new rule where a rapid response to events Congress cannot act on quickly. An already alarming situation isn't easier to manage if it precipitates a Constitutional crisis and the President can't find money to send rescue supplies or fully mobilize the 82nd airborne, etc.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 08:28 AM   #3029
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

If the MSM were really as biased and hateful as right-wing nutters assert, then their stories would say “.. continues to object to section 230, also known as the #DiaperDon clause. Congress has yet to enact a repeal...”
Old 29th December 2020, 08:36 AM   #3030
Joe Random
Master Poster

Nah, I'll just play the weak, helpless lil' woman and ask my neighbor to put it on for me. I never liked him anyway.

Ladies have better options :

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Wine...9256591&sr=8-1

Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 08:41 AM   #3031
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

$2000 for our great people, not $600! They have suffered enough from the China Virus!!!
Did Trump ever define who the "great people" were? Are they the same as the "fine" people who are neo-nazis?

Maybe Trump is thinking "The MAGAchuds are the great people... they get $2000, everyone else gets the $600.".

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 08:53 AM   #3032
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Did Trump ever define who the "great people" were? Are they the same as the "fine" people who are neo-nazis?

Maybe Trump is thinking "The MAGAchuds are the great people... they get $2000, everyone else gets the $600.".
I'm actually, no joke shocked that at no point did Trump try to find some way to send more money to people who voted for him.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 08:55 AM   #3033
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

ďGreat peopleĒ are those that voted for Trump and sing his praise, I mean how could great be defined in any other way? Iím surprised that he hasnít started to call for the cheques to only be sent out to people who voted for him. After all why should he bother with citizens that didnít vote for him?
Old 29th December 2020, 09:17 AM   #3034
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
And they say thereís no ďEĒ here any longer!
Old 29th December 2020, 09:31 AM   #3035
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

That would be in line with his "two scoops of ice cream" policy.
Old 29th December 2020, 09:40 AM   #3036
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Why would he think any one else should get anything at all? The only way he might consider the disloyal would be to suggest taking the money from the disloyal and give it to the loyal.
Old 29th December 2020, 10:13 AM   #3037
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

What does the proclamation actually say? Maybe Trump is actually celebrating the way the King disposed of a troublesome opponent.

Last edited by Bob001; 29th December 2020 at 10:16 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 10:28 AM   #3038
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Ends Obama’s 12-Year Run As Most Admired Man

“It’s a madhouse!” - Taylor, Planet of the Apes
Old 29th December 2020, 10:35 AM   #3039
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
What does the proclamation actually say? Maybe Trump is actually celebrating the way the King disposed of a troublesome opponent.

That's what I was thinking when I read it.
Old 29th December 2020, 10:43 AM   #3040
slyjoe
Master Poster

The proclamation was pandering to the religious - asked to stop religious persecution.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics