IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 29th December 2020, 11:53 AM   #3041
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
The proclamation was pandering to the religious - asked to stop religious persecution.
That's what I thought. I also believe that Trump just signed what was put in front of him

I find it ridiculously ironic that Trump has made many similar remarks to King Henry's that got Beckett killed.
Old 29th December 2020, 12:09 PM   #3042
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Trump Ends Obama’s 12-Year Run As Most Admired Man

“It’s a madhouse!” - Taylor, Planet of the Apes
May be true, but only 18% of people say he is the "most admired". I think the fact that he 'won' has more to do with how the opposition against him is divided. (Biden is on the list of most admired along with Obama... if you add their popularities together, it easily beats trump.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 12:18 PM   #3043
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Unless Republicans have a death wish, and it is also the right thing to do, they must approve the $2000 payments ASAP. $600 IS NOT ENOUGH! Also, get rid of Section 230 - Don’t let Big Tech steal our Country, and don’t let the Democrats steal the Presidential Election. Get tough!
Quote Tweet

The Washington Post
@washingtonpost
McConnell blocks Senate Democrats' initial attempt to approve $2,000 stimulus checks amid growing pressure on GOP leader to act https://washingtonpost.com/powerpost...48c_story.html
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 12:20 PM   #3044
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
May be true, but only 18% of people say he is the "most admired". I think the fact that he 'won' has more to do with how the opposition against him is divided. (Biden is on the list of most admired along with Obama... if you add their popularities together, it easily beats trump.)
And that fits in perfectly with the Right's desire to be lead by a singular strongman and less with the Left's desire to be lead by a bunch of people working together.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 01:14 PM   #3045
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
That's what I thought. I also believe that Trump just signed what was put in front of him

I find it ridiculously ironic that Trump has made many similar remarks to King Henry's that got Beckett killed.
Except Trump is nowhere as witty as Henry The Second..at least as played by Peter O'Toole in "Becket" and "Lion In Winter"..

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 01:18 PM   #3046
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump lambasting Republicans in Congress today, saying they had better vote the way he wants unless they have a "Death Wish".
Stupid GOP COngressmen. They should have known that in the last part of the film,the Frankenstein Monster always turns on it's creator.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 02:10 PM   #3047
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, god...we're never going to hear the end of that from him. He must be having multiple orgasms over this.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 02:12 PM   #3048
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Oh, god...we're never going to hear the end of that from him. He must be having multiple orgasms over this.
Aaaaand, there goes sleep for tonight. Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 02:19 PM   #3049
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

With Obama, Biden, and Sanders getting votes, this crucial election really needs Ranked Choice Voting.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Indeed. He was already bragging about his "Noble" prizes, and now this. : crying:
Old 29th December 2020, 02:27 PM   #3050
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Except Trump is nowhere as witty as Henry The Second..at least as played by Peter O'Toole in "Becket" and "Lion In Winter"..
O'Toole had better writers. And let's face it, is more charming.
Old 29th December 2020, 02:30 PM   #3051
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

O'Toole had better writers. And let's face it, is more charming.
Indeed.

"Stop Slobbering ,boy, while I raise you to Glory".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 29th December 2020, 02:56 PM   #3052
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Given it only takes:
Quote:
Eighteen percent of the survey's respondents named Trump
I don't think there's much to the prize.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 02:57 PM   #3053
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

Loeffler, Perdue Support Increasing Relief Payments to $2K https://breitbart.com/politics/2020/...americans-now/ via @BreitbartNews

Republicans must support the $2000 payments and must FIGHT the crooked presidential election. We won big!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 04:17 PM   #3054
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

They support it now... where were they about it more than two weeks ago?
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 04:24 PM   #3055
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It's incredibly interesting in Washington right now.

McConnell is blocking the vote on the $2,000 stimulus bill. The President and the two GOP Senators running in Georgia are asking for the $2K and Bernie is threatening to filibuster the Defense bill unless McConnell allows the vote.

Wonder what's going to happen?
Old 29th December 2020, 04:40 PM   #3056
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Insanity. As usual.
Old 29th December 2020, 04:51 PM   #3057
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Man, what a horrible web site! First it covered up the text with a useless video box that I had to dismiss. Then it started playing the video that was anchored at the top of the page! Hey, ********, some people have data caps! (I don't, but it's incredibly inconsiderate to those who do.)

And their HTML is so broken Firefox can't reformat it in Reader Mode to get rid of all that crap.

Honestly, mass media and newspapers have some of the worst sites on the whole of the web.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 05:10 PM   #3058
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Beckett was murdered by supporters of King Henry the Second after King Henry said "Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?"
I thought someone from ISF had attempted to debunk this - saying Beckett's slaying was actually a problem for Henry, not something he would have welcomed. But I don't remember who that was.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 05:13 PM   #3059
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Honestly, mass media and newspapers have some of the worst sites on the whole of the web.
It's a witch's brew of monetizing attempts short of an actual paywall. When they started giving it away, surprise, no one bought newspapers anymore, so they gunked it up with ads. I worked for the chain that owned USA Today, and its website is a pain in the ass. I go there sometimes just because it's fairly neutral, though superficial as well.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 05:39 PM   #3060
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I thought someone from ISF had attempted to debunk this - saying Beckett's slaying was actually a problem for Henry, not something he would have welcomed. But I don't remember who that was.
There is debate that he said it. Still, he is famous for that line or at least something similar. What is clear is that King Henry was complaining about Becket being a pain in the ass. I have always found it amusing that this line is justifiably question despite it being written about at the time and yet every word of the new Testament is considered infallible even though we only have bits and pieces of anonymous writings from two hundred years later.

I know. Totally off topic.
Old 29th December 2020, 05:53 PM   #3061
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://journalstar.com/lifestyles/h...a33943dd7.html

It seems Trump is angry with Melania over the renovations to their new residence at Mara Lago. He had one of his little temper tantrums with the staff even though it was Melania and an outside interior decorator who picked everything out.

He must really be miserable. He really has no one to support him. A commentator on MSNBC today observed that when Clinton lost, she was surrounded by family and close friends to supporter her. When Romney lost to Obama, he had his whole family surrounding him when he made the call. Who is going to hug Trump? Lou Dobbs? (Commentator's words).

This is a guy who was always shielded from failure and now faces his greatest failure and he's utterly alone.

Ha Ha.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 05:58 PM   #3062
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post

It seems Trump is angry with Melania over the renovations to their new residence at Mara Lago. He had one of his little temper tantrums with the staff even though it was Melania and an outside interior decorator who picked everything out.

He must really be miserable. He really has no one to support him. A commentator on MSNBC today observed that when Clinton lost, she was surrounded by family and close friends to supporter her. When Romney lost to Obama, he had his whole family surrounding him when he made the call. Who is going to hug Trump? Lou Dobbs? (Commentator's words).

This is a guy who was always shielded from failure and now faces his greatest failure and he's utterly alone.

Ha Ha.
Insufficient gold leaf?
Old 29th December 2020, 06:23 PM   #3063
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Insufficient gold leaf [paint]?
ftfy
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 06:26 PM   #3064
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Aaaaand, there goes sleep for tonight. Thanks
It might help to imagine how he's felt in the last three years, when Obama had him beat.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 06:33 PM   #3065
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

O'Toole had better writers.
And Katherine Hepburn to work with. Eleanor of Aquitaine, by the Wrath of God Queen of England.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 06:43 PM   #3066
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
That would be me. The knights who killed Becket did so because of what he represented - the low-born but capable men Henry appreciated so much. Whatever he actually said they used it as licence to strike against them. Most of these advisers were clerics (that's how commoners got educated) so bringing the Vatican's wrath down on Henry for blasphemy they threw him back on them - the nobility of the sword.

Old 29th December 2020, 06:44 PM   #3067
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
The same place as Trump was.

Old 29th December 2020, 06:56 PM   #3068
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

There is debate that he said it. Still, he is famous for that line or at least something similar. What is clear is that King Henry was complaining about Becket being a pain in the ass.
Becket was a pain in the arse, but the outburst coincides with the failure of yet another apparently promising diplomatic attempt to get the Pope to re-deploy Becket out of Canterbury and into somewhere distant, like maybe Rome. The lesson is, of course, not to lose your cool and indulge in outbursts.

Old 29th December 2020, 07:13 PM   #3069
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Pence has refused to sign on to Goumert's attempt tp overthrow the election.
I can't stand the man, but he not a total idiot, he knows this suit does not have a legal leg to stand on.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 29th December 2020, 07:18 PM   #3070
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

McConnell is blocking the vote on the $2,000 stimulus bill. The President and the two GOP Senators running in Georgia are asking for the $2K and Bernie is threatening to filibuster the Defense bill unless McConnell allows the vote.

A GOP vs GOP fight. And the Dems should just sit back and enjoy the fun.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 29th December 2020, 07:19 PM   #3071
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Given it only takes: I don't think there's much to the prize.
Some of the usual Obama vote went to Biden and Fauci. If Obama had those, he owuld have beaten Trump by a comfortable margin.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 29th December 2020, 07:57 PM   #3072
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post

Ha Ha
The schadenfreude is palpable!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 08:12 PM   #3073
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

A GOP vs GOP fight. And the Dems should just sit back and enjoy the fun.
Trump thinks he's punishing the Republican Party, and for once he's right. It's something to savour. Mitch will manage the situation by doing nothing, as comes naturally.

Old 29th December 2020, 08:21 PM   #3074
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Wall Street Journal just had an editorial saying Trump was helping Schumer..that Trump's Antics might well cost the GOP the senate in Georgia election. The Juurnal is a Murdoch owned paper, as is the NY Post. Looks as if Rupert is turning on Donnie..probably pissed off at Donnie's turning on Foxnews.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 29th December 2020, 08:26 PM   #3075
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

My wife, commenting on that "Trump is raving like a deposed king" comment,got specific:
Denethor in Lord Of The Rings when he goes crazy.
I think it's a good comparasion.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 29th December 2020, 08:28 PM   #3076
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Some of the usual Obama vote went to Biden and Fauci. If Obama had those, he owuld have beaten Trump by a comfortable margin.
And given Obama is not currently in the public eye...
Old 29th December 2020, 08:45 PM   #3077
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Miller??

I'm guessing they told Donny that Thomas Beckett was some famous guy who was just like him, and he got persecuted as a result. Just like Trump is being persecuted now. Just that they conveniently failed to tell Donny the time period, the players, and the reason for the murder. What do you think the chances are Donny thinks Thomas Beckett was actually an obscure 1970's building developer in New York.
Trump may not know at all; I can imagine Miller slipping that into a pile of documents for Trump to sign and, given his utter and complete lack of interest in being a functional president, he just signed them all so he didn't miss his tee time.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 08:45 PM   #3078
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

There is debate that he said it. Still, he is famous for that line or at least something similar. What is clear is that King Henry was complaining about Becket being a pain in the ass. I have always found it amusing that this line is justifiably question despite it being written about at the time and yet every word of the new Testament is considered infallible even though we only have bits and pieces of anonymous writings from two hundred years later.

I know. Totally off topic.
It's a great line though. Imaginary or not
Old 29th December 2020, 08:48 PM   #3079
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Wall Street Journal just had an editorial saying Trump was helping Schumer..that Trump's Antics might well cost the GOP the senate in Georgia election. The Juurnal is a Murdoch owned paper, as is the NY Post. Looks as if Rupert is turning on Donnie..probably pissed off at Donnie's turning on Foxnews.
One can hope. Either about Murdoch turning on Trump, or Trump helping Schumer. Or both.
Old 29th December 2020, 09:04 PM   #3080
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Here's a guaranteed non-surprise for you:

Quote:
Trump put Loeffler and Perdue in a tricky political position by demanding the increased stimulus checks. The two conservative incumbents had backed the $900 billion compromise COVID relief plan that included only smaller $600 direct payments to Americans.

Ossoff and fellow Democratic insurgent Rev. Raphael Warnock have both called for a much larger stimulus package. Analysts say Loeffler and Perdue are in a tough spot — they want to keep their #MAGA base happy without looking like they are flip-flopping on their previous fiscally conservative stand.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics